• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 10/07/14

Curufinwe

Compared to Mordor, LotR doesn't really glorify the dismemberment or gore so I can see where he's coming from.

As far as PG-13 action movies go it's hard to find one with more violence. The different standards for orcs with black blood versus humans let them get away with a lot. And Peter Jackson loves gore.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is dan really the one to be given shit about his opinions lord of the rings compared to Jeff "is golem the same as jar jar binks"?

At least Dan watched it so he can have his own opinion.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, people have been treating Desert Golfing like some sort of high-art Bubsy 3D game? I've just been playing it as a simple, fun mobile game. I think it's cool and satisfying to kick the ball around for a few holes, and I can do it for anywhere between 2-20 minutes. That's what I want in mobile gaming. What about it is so cool & mysterious? Even the writeups about it seem to just be over-analysis of what is a fun little golf game.
Yeah, same here. While I was playing it, Idle thumbs talked about it like it is this monumental thing ("the Dark Souls of golfing") for two podcasts and I thought I was going crazy. It's a well made golf game with sand physics without all the f2p pulp, that's pretty much it.

KingKong

It's just weird how judgemental Dan is considering how many stupid things he does and stupid opinions he has himself

Haunted

holy fuck dan, episode 1 better than lotr? fuckin hell, man
that one was too obvious, even for dan

ignore and move on

Is dan really the one to be given shit about his opinions lord of the rings compared to Jeff "is golem the same as jar jar binks"?

At least Dan watched it so he can have his own opinion.
Well if Jeff has never seen the movies, he couldn't possibly know. I think that's a perfectly understandable comparison to draw when you first hear and see Gollum in Shadows of Mordor, not knowing anything about the character's fairly tragic backstory, the ring's effects, his role in the story to come etc etc.

Similarly, Jeff's inability to see the Alien as a terrifying and scary creature is a direct result of his only exposure to the franchise being through videogames, in which you shoot down hundreds of jankily animated Aliens in every game. If you first see Giger's Alien in a movie theatre in 1979, fuck yeah it's scary.

Do they at least think its bullshit?

Because GB can be a bit weird about tech stuff. I will guess they will take the "buy it on PC if u care about that stuff" response

Brad seems to dismiss it, but Jeff says the speculation isn't baseless he doesnt know for sure but he says he would like to know what the deal is.

But yes listen to it Jeff kills it.

Man, I'm so done with the Destiny discussions. I'm just toning it out at this point. I'm writing this post while it's going on on my player.

Dany

Banned
Holy shit Dan.

Hippies

Normals.

Get out of your cave old man
KuGsj.gif

Not that it really matters but Jeff's complaint about not being able to paint your car one solid color in Driveclub is untrue. You can choose to not have any kind of vinyls/decals and pick whatever color you want. I figured this out within an hour of playing the game.

Jeff's attitude was poisonous last episode. His DriveClub anger, his Destiny dismissal. Poisonous attitude, the other guys on the podcast were even afraid to admit that they were having fun with Destiny, even though they sure sounded like they were.

Unsubscribed so hard. Last time I did this was when Jeff dismissed Monster Hunter/Demon's Souls. I need enthusiasm in my gaming press, not some tired, jaded game journalist that gets soured on games when they don't offer rewind features, gameplay loops that require no effort or stress, and a quicksave around every corner.

Man, I'm so done with the Destiny discussions. I'm just toning it out at this point. I'm writing this post while it's going on on my player.

Yeah ok, whatever.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Weird, after the Alien talk it feels like Dan didn't say a single thing for an hour
I've noticed that he barely speaks on certain topics, eventhough he should have meaningful things to say after many years at Game Informer.

Same here, but mostly because there isn't much to be said anymore.

It's ok when other people dislike things you like.

I like Destiny, and am tired of hearing about it on the podcast, especially this last one where Brad would never let the segment end.

I'm just tired of these games being talked about like they're somehow the equivalent of Superman 64, there's so much hyperbole/gaming politics going on. In no way is Destiny or DriveClub a 'bad' game, you can choose to dislike it.. and they're both open to criticism. But to just openly dismiss them and act like they're trash is just not what I expect from professional game journalism.

Everybody acts like it's got cooties.. ridiculous.

It would have been great if the others on the bombcast had a chance to actually play DC for themselves so we could have some sort of fair and balanced discussion, but Jeff's voice is just too overpowering, and that seems to be his schtick.

RE_Player

Brad was a tad too dismissive and naive during the whole Unity talk. While Jeff laid out the theories put forth in a comedic matter even he admits it's not out of the question seeng as this has been done before in the industry.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
"Do you think 180 lines of resolution is something worth paying for in the mainstream?"

Oh for fuck's sake, Brad.

Oh, Bradley...

I would love to think he knows the difference, but using this absolutely ridiculous talking point, I don't know.

Can't say I'm very surprised.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm just tired of these games being talked about like they're somehow the equivalent of Superman 64, there's so much hyperbole/gaming politics going on. In no way is Destiny or DriveClub a 'bad' game, you can choose to dislike it.. and they're both open to criticism. But to just openly dismiss them and act like they're trash is just not what I expect from professional game journalism.

Everybody acts like it's got cooties.. ridiculous.

It would have been great if the others on the bombcast had a chance to actually play DC for themselves so we could have some sort of fair and balanced discussion, but Jeff's voice is just too overpowering, and that seems to be his schtick.

Firstly, what.

Also secondly, it's mostly because no one else cares about driving games except for drew and alex, and drew doesn't have a PS4.

What resolution does Brad usually use on his PC monitors? Maybe he really doesn't care. Like my grandma runs her computer at 800p or something, the icons are huge.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What resolution does Brad usually use on his PC monitors? Maybe he really doesn't care. Like my grandma runs her computer at 800p or something, the icons are huge.

He is supposedly the "tech expert" at GB, which makes it even funnier.

Anyways, the issue of resolution isn't the main issue.

Is it still an hour of brad repeating over and over that he doesn't like the game but he keeps playing it?

I haven't reached it yet but last week was just excruciating...

RE_Player

Is it still an hour of brad repeating over and over that he doesn't like the game but he keeps playing it?

I haven't reached it yet but last week was just excruciating...
With so many games coming in the mail for their job I couldn't imagine spending my free time with a game that I don't think is good.

Bacon

Last year the tech experts at Tested said resolutions don't matter cause scalers.

Ugh. Haven't listened to that podcast since whitta stopped being a regular. It was getting bad back then, I can't imagine how it is now. I'll come back for the octobercast though.

Dany

Banned
I tried listening to the podcast dedicted to the apple event. Still awful. They just can't talk to one another.

Top Bottom