• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 10/07/14

Vire

I support Brad whole heartedly in his endeavor to make Destiny Giant Bomb's GOTY.

You know for all the criticism it has received, I still can't think of a game really that I've had more fun with this year.

Diablo Reaper of Souls I guess is up there for singlehandedly fixing D3, but besides that...

Infamous SS- lacking in content and scope
Watch Dogs - completely forgettable, I traded it in as soon as I beat it
Titanfall - fun, but the longevity just wasn't there for me. not a bad game though!

I did like Child of Light, Monument Valley and Transistor, but probably moreso for the art in the games.

I need to play Shadow of Mordor though!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know for all the criticism it has received, I still can't think of a game really that I've had more fun with this year.

Diablo Reaper of Souls I guess is up there for singlehandedly fixing D3, but besides that...

Infamous SS- lacking in content and scope
Watch Dogs - completely forgettable, I traded it in as soon as I beat it
Titanfall - fun, but the longevity just wasn't there for me. not a bad game though!

I did like Child of Light, Monument Valley and Transistor, but probably moreso for the art in the games.

I need to play Shadow of Mordor though!

South Park GOTY. Alex will have my back. Hopefully.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's weird how Brad talks about why you're even playing an open world game if you're just wanting to fast travel through stuff, but then he talks about how he likes how easy it is to fast travel in Mordor. And he also likes Skyrim, which is notorious for the fast travel.

I'm the complete opposite about the stuff in that e-mail though. The driving with the radio is the thing that helps keep me engaged in open wrolds. It's why I find stuff like Just Cause so incredibly boring.

Tagyhag

Just got through the Destiny segment... GOTY podcast is gonna be amazing especially since Brad will have done the raid by then and it really is the best content in the game. I'm actually surprised he "likes" it that much even having not done the raid.

Some people really love grinding, which is interesting since he didn't play WoW past a certain level apparently.

Although I assume it's because Destiny is a shooter and that's something he can get behind.

0:00~32:30: Giant Bongcast
33:00~51:30: Gerstmann takes a giant dump into Driveclub's Hot Hatch®
51:30~3:19:00: Your regularly scheduled Bombcast

8.5/10. Would listen again.

Vhagar

Neo Member
Man, Jeff rips into Destiny again this week. I really doubt it's going to be their GotY, or even in the list.

Jeff also didn't particularly care for TLOU which eventually won their GOTY. Although I wouldn't put any bets on Destiny being their GOTY, Brad will definitely push it into the list.

Wait, people have been treating Desert Golfing like some sort of high-art Bubsy 3D game? I've just been playing it as a simple, fun mobile game. I think it's cool and satisfying to kick the ball around for a few holes, and I can do it for anywhere between 2-20 minutes. That's what I want in mobile gaming. What about it is so cool & mysterious? Even the writeups about it seem to just be over-analysis of what is a fun little golf game.

This year I wholly support the Shoemaker Fillibuster if it means getting Destiny into the top 10.

I think this is going to be a year of games that individuals champion against the tide. Brad is going to try and get Destiny into the top 5. Dan will carry Super Smash Bros (or Mario Kart, which others may be more willing to concede for) into the running. Patrick will carry Divinity. I don't know what Jeff will be inspired by, but I could see him falling for Sunset Overdrive. Maybe even Titanfall. Alex might be genuinely passionate for Jazzpunk or South Park.

Mordor seems to be an even consensus, so I'd call it the present frontrunner. Wolfenstein and Shovel Knight were also without strong criticism.

Cutebrute

This was a good cast. I enjoyed the AC:U discussion a lot. Also, lol at Dan's story this week.

Follow the money.

Man they go heavy on journalism in the industry, and it's damn interesting the stories they tell. I highly recommend the latter part of the podcast to people interested in that kinda stuff.

caleb1915

yeah, according to him the phantom menace is better than all three lord of the rings movies, and event horizon is the scariest movie ever?

Not a great podcast, Brad really needed to do a better job of moving things along, especially during that brutally boring stretch starting with the Destiny talk.

so1337

idL2WToqAe7eb.png

No.
iwJYu0VcQhZLW.png

No.
iTbusUztUfhBV.png

NOOOOOO!

Can anyone timecode the Destiny stuff? I've reached critical mass on Destiny talk.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So .... 30 minutes before they begin talking about GAMES ... is that a new record ?

also, Jeff is brutal with Driveclub, and Brad's Alien comments and then his (kind of poor) performance playing the game in the quick look seems at odds.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, they've gone longer before. I remember the one where ryan talked about buying a hummingbird feeding mask being especially long.

So .... 30 minutes before they begin talking about GAMES ... is that a new record ?

also, Jeff is brutal with Driveclub, and Brad's Alien comments and then his (kind of poor) performance playing the game in the quick look seems at odds.
And those 30 minutes were the best part of the podcast, much better than some of the later game related conversations that felt like they would never end.

K.Sabot

And do we really want to hear them talk about game anymore? Even when they talk about games they leave on tangents about things related to the games, usually going on about it longer than the game.

Mully

They've gone a full hour without discussing games before. It was the best hour of radio/podcasts I've ever heard.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I remember a time where they started talking about games only because brad won't shut up about flesh eating viruses that turn people into quadriplegics.

Jeff is amazing during the Unity segment.

Hasn't Jeff pretty much said that Madden 07 was held back on purpose on PS3? Seems like this isn't something that COULDN'T happen.

Also I disagree with Brad saying that because the PS4 has sold so much that people have all already made the decision really.

danm999

Jeff also didn't particularly care for TLOU which eventually won their GOTY. Although I wouldn't put any bets on Destiny being their GOTY, Brad will definitely push it into the list.

The difference being that with TLOU Alex, Brad, Vinny, Drew and Patrick all had it in their top three in their personal lists. Jeff basically got overruled because it was the sole game everyone else recognized deserved top spot.

I doubt that situation is going to recur with Destiny, most of the other Bombers seem to like it, but not excessively so.

adamsapple

And those 30 minutes were the best part of the podcast, much better than some of the later game related conversations that felt like they would never end.

I remember a time where they started talking about games only because brad won't shut up about flesh eating viruses that turn people into quadriplegics.

Oh yeah, not saying these non-game discussions are bad .. but (personal preference) I don't like Dan Rykart, he comes off as too ... manufactured ... if that makes sense. Back then with Ryan, it was a lot more entertaining and fun to hear them go on off-topic tangents.

adamsapple

If Dan Ryckert is manufactured, I would love to work at that company. Even if it was just at the factory belt.

hahah yeah, probably not the right choice of word :p
some of his shticks and 'whacky adventure' stories seem very forced.

just my opinion though, haven't known him since before giantbomb (not a fan or follower of gameinformer), so maybe i'm not fully aware of his persona.

Myggen

Dan's weird double standard with alcohol and drugs is back again. You crazy Americans. lol

To be fair, he agreed that weed should probably be legalised and is less harmful than alcohol. He's probably too afraid of the other drugs ;)

I think this is going to be a year of games that individuals champion against the tide. Brad is going to try and get Destiny into the top 5. Dan will carry Super Smash Bros (or Mario Kart, which others may be more willing to concede for) into the running. Patrick will carry Divinity. I don't know what Jeff will be inspired by, but I could see him falling for Sunset Overdrive. Maybe even Titanfall. Alex might be genuinely passionate for Jazzpunk or South Park.

Mordor seems to be an even consensus, so I'd call it the present frontrunner. Wolfenstein and Shovel Knight were also without strong criticism.

Jeff also really liked Jazzpunk. Could easily see that on the top 10, which I would be a big fan of. Top 3 for me so far this year, behind probably Divinity and South Park. Been a bad year of games for me thus far.

Not a great podcast, Brad really needed to do a better job of moving things along, especially during that brutally boring stretch starting with the Destiny talk.

Oh man, the Destiny talk was glorious. I'm about done hearing about that game now, but Jeff and Brad arguing about that game was great. Will be some interesting GOTY podcasts for sure.

bonercop

Well especially when he condemned the other drugs because they make people "violent".

he's making drugs sound like lead, lol

This is the first time I think dan genuinely comes off as rather ignorant and close-minded about something, rather than it being charming like his reactions to anime and mayonnaise. soft drugs are mostly harmless compared to drinking and smoking, and the hysteria surrounding them is mostly a cultural thing.

Myggen

This is the first time I think dan genuinely comes off as rather ignorant and close-minded about something, rather than it being charming like his reactions to anime and mayonnaise. soft drugs are mostly harmless compared to drinking and smoking, and the hysteria surrounding them is mostly a cultural thing.

The violent stuff was about pretty hard drugs though, crack cocaine and meth especially IIRC (as a response to Jeff's "legalise everything" statement). So it's not like he said that weed makes you violent or anything like that at least ;)

Bacon

Dan has a really childlike view of drugs. "They're illegal, where are the cops to arrest all the users?" Does he really think it's feasible to just arrest all drug users?

Did you miss the part around 30 minutes in where he said weed being illegal is pretty stupid, being he agrees it's objectively safer than alcohol. He just doesn't like smoking it or being around stoners. This is something I agree with him completely.

bonercop

Did you miss the part around 30 minutes in where he said weed being illegal is pretty stupid, being he agrees it's objectively safer than alcohol. He just doesn't like smoking it or being around stoners. This is something I agree with him completely.

he also non-ironically said cops should go bust said stoners and get their "crazy kill-people drugs"

Curufinwe

Dan "The Phantom Menace is better than all three Lord of the Rings movies" Ryckert

He must have been drunk when he watched LoTR. Last week he was saying he liked Mordor more than them because it has violent dismembering of enemies. I guess he missed all the decaps and arms getting chopped off in the movies.

Ken

He must have been drunk when he watched LoTR. Last week he was saying he liked Mordor more than them because it has violent dismembering of enemies. I guess he missed all the decaps and arms getting chopped off in the movies.

Compared to Mordor, LotR doesn't really glorify the dismemberment or gore so I can see where he's coming from.

Mordor is 99% combat and action and is paced much much different than the LOTR films.

Top Bottom