• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I always felt the subtlety was very clear (heh) regarding Yondu's affection for Quill in vol. 1. You can tell he's protecting him while putting on a show in front of his shipmates/crew. Even at the end when he smiles knowing he was duped. It fits right in with where the story goes in vol. 2.
Exactly

I always felt the subtlety was very clear (heh) regarding Yondu's affection for Quill in vol. 1. You can tell he's protecting him while putting on a show in front of his shipmates/crew. Even at the end when he smiles knowing he was duped. It fits right in with where the story goes in vol. 2.

That's still not enough for me to buy a father / son relationship considering how horrific Peter's childhood was according to him or why the entire universe seems to be so in love with Yondu by the end of 2.

That's still not enough for me to buy a father / son relationship considering how horrific Peter's childhood was according to him or why the entire universe seems to be so in love with Yondu by the end of 2.
A phone call was made and the Ravager brothers/sisters honored him. It was foreshadowed how a ravager death is treated earlier in the film.

Edit: and that's the point. Even Peter didn't buy it until it was put into perspective for him (and us). The way these films paint it, it's easy for me to see Peter growing up learning the ways of the Ravagers but holding a bit of a grudge towards his father figure based on the non-traditional lifestyle he was raised with compared to what he was used to on Earth.

Ledsen

So I've seen about fifteen minutes of this movie and already there have been a dozen cringe-worthy juvenile jokes, and the acting is atrocious... What are they doing to this franchise? this review seems very apt... I'm guessing it doesn't get better. I mean the first movie wasn't good but at least I watched it until the end.

So I've seen about fifteen minutes of this movie and already there have been a dozen cringe-worthy juvenile jokes, and the acting is atrocious... What are they doing to this franchise? this review seems very apt... I'm guessing it doesn't get better. I mean the first movie wasn't good but at least I watched it until the end.
It's not for you, plain and simple. Doesn't make it bad. That textbook confirmation bias was a nice touch lol.

National Review huh? Of course the publication that supported Ted Cruz doesn't like good movies ;P

The national review huh.

A phone call was made and the Ravager brothers/sisters honored him. It was foreshadowed how a ravager death is treated earlier in the film.

Edit: and that's the point. Even Peter didn't buy it until it was put into perspective for him (and us). The way these films paint it, it's easy for me to see Peter growing up learning the ways of the Ravagers but holding a bit of a grudge towards his father figure based on the non-traditional lifestyle he was raised with compared to what he was used to on Earth.
Yondu isn't a good guy though. He's a murderous thief who at least had a conscience when it came to killing kids or allowing them to be killed. He's complicated, which is another reason the movie worked so well. He was far from perfect, but he at least tried to be a good father for Peter.

For a James Gunn movie, the comedy falling so flat was disappointing for me. Now that I think about it, I can't remember a single good joke. Hopefully Thor Ragnarok does justice to Talia's excellent comedic chops.

jph139

Having watched them both back to back on Blu-ray, I'd definitely say that Vol. 2 is better than the first. It has more problems but when it's good, it's damn good.

Honestly it's probably hit "favorite MCU movie" status for me. The franchise in general just pushes the right buttons for me.

For a James Gunn movie, the comedy falling so flat was disappointing for me. Now that I think about it, I can't remember a single good joke. Hopefully Thor Ragnarok does justice to Talia's excellent comedic chops.
tumblr_mdlay17Ovg1ruaha0o3_500.gif

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

Now That's What I Call Edge Volume 2.

gamz

I'm really liked it. Not as good as the first but love the characters and heart.

The Zune reference sealed the deal.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Pratt is not a good dramatic actor. There were so many dramatic scenes where it was like,"Wait that was the best take they got?"

Finally got round to watching this. Put it off because of the negative review - and no, its not as good as the first one but its not as bad as some people made it out to be. Really liked the big bad in this. Kurt Russell's ego was actually a world destroying villian that actually tried to do what he set out to. The reveal that he mated with everyone was so good.

8.5/10

Pratt is charming AF.

Also 5 post credit scenes?! wow.

ADD:

saw this in 3D at home. So good. The visuals are astounding.

Truant

Live posting as I'm watching this.

- Young Kurt effects are astounding. Best I've seen so far in any film.
- Opening fight / credits was terrible. Lacked any excitement, weight or direction. Felt like a video game cutscene from 2004.
- Drax is perhaps the best thing about this series.
- Pratt was funnier when he was fat, but he's a decent actor.
- Golden dudes are funny.
- CGI
- CGI
- CGI
- More bad CGI
- Some chase or whatever
- Stallone!
- Bug lady is cute.
- Green lady is boring and angry. Why is she here?
- Blue lady is cool, more of her.
- Put my TV on mute and forgot I was watching this film. Doesn't seem like anything worthwhile happened during the last 15 minutes, so will just continue watching.
- Alright, so Peter gets powers from a moon thing that contains "light" and this keeps him immortal - as long as the light exists. Someone should make a video game.. oh, right.
- Hasselhoff? They're really going for the cheap laughs here.
- "He was your father, but he wadn't yo daddy." What the fuck
- This is terrible

cacildo

The opening credits are really weak

Yet i took a screenshot of the frame in which the movie title shows up and printed it to hang on my wall. Its beautiful

Top Bottom