• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InFAMOUS [Mafia] [OT] No Good Karma...

SkyOdin

SkyOdin, if you were formally clad in business apparel and on your way to an important meeting, but had the misfortune of having to commute outdoors through bone-chilling weather to get there in time; would you still wear a beanie to keep your head warm en route, knowing that you'd arrive with terrible hat-hair if you did?
I don't usually wear hats in the first place, so stubbornly charging through misery without properly considering easy alternatives would be in character for me.

SkyOdin

Dusk Soldier, why the vote on Ri'Orius? Is it just a response to his call for more votes or do you have some other reason? There is nothing wrong with making votes, but you haven't said anything else.

Flame_AC

Whoops, I wasn't subscribed to the thread yet and thought the game started today, not yesterday. My apologies, catching up.

For those that have played the Infamous games, would any of you be willing to give a quick summary of the games.

Maybe the main protagonist, the villain organization, and your thoughts on how Infamous mechanics might translate to mafia.

I've personally never played the series, but i believe it's about a mutant protagonist with the potential to master all sorts of powers.

Am i way off base there?

CCS

Banned
For those that have played the Infamous games, would any of you be willing to give a quick summary of the games.

Maybe the main protagonist, the villain organization, and your thoughts on how Infamous mechanics might translate to mafia.

I've personally never played the series, but i believe it's about a mutant protagonist with the potential to master all sorts of powers.

Am i way off base there?

So the first two games the protagonist had electricity based powers, and other characters with their own powers. Most recent game introduced a new protagonist with the ability to use other peoples powers and new villains. So I wouldn't rely too much on the game for meta purposes.

SkyOdin

Am i way off base there?
The series is one where you control a character who gets super powers. The premise is that you get to choose between being good or being evil, but the evil route in practice involves making a whole lot of inconsistant and incoherent asshole decisions. The main hero of the first two games is a guy named Cole who has electric powers given to him by a crazy sphere that blew up a quarter of not-New York. He fights a bunch of other people with crazy superpowers given by the same incident (called Conduits) in the city that has been blocked off by the government (which has Orwellian vibes in the first game). Every big main villain Conduit has minion Conduits who have similar powers to their boss.

In the sequel, not-New York gets blown up by a walking force of destruction called The Beast, so the setting shifts to not-New Orleans. There Cole borrows new powers from another Conduit (either fire or ice powers). At the end of the second game, Cole is forced to make a stupid choice between commiting genocide against everyone who does have superpowers or genociding everyone who doesn't have superpowers. Somehow, they wrote a sequel to this, but I don't know how since I haven't played it.

batsnacks

07. [m] batsnacks – EST
18. [m] Kawl_USC – CST

09. [m] Bronx-Man – EST

08. [m] CCS - GMT+1
11. [m] AbsolutBro – EST
17. [m] *Splinter – GMT

01. [f] WaffleTaco - New – CST
02. [m] Zeusy - New – PST
03. [m] Ri'Orius – PST
05. [m] TheGoddamn - UTC+8
06. [m] Kyanrute - GMT+2
12. [m] cabot - GMT+1
13. [m] Blargonaut – GMT
15. [m] Timeaisis – CST
16. [m] Lone_Prodigy – PST
19. [m] isaacnukem - UTC+8
20. [m] Zippedpinhead – EST
21. [m] Flame_AC – EST
22. [m] Kalor – BST

10. [m] SkyOdin – PST
14. [m] Dusk Soldier – EDT

04. [m] OceanicAir – CST

So the first two games the protagonist had electricity based powers, and other characters with their own powers. Most recent game introduced a new protagonist with the ability to use other peoples powers and new villains. So I wouldn't rely too much on the game for meta purposes.

The series is one where you control a character who gets super powers. The premise is that you get to choose between being good or being evil, but the evil route in practice involves making a whole lot of inconsistant and incoherent asshole decisions. The main hero of the first two games is a guy named Cole who has electric powers given to him by a crazy sphere that blew up a quarter of not-New York. He fights a bunch of other people with crazy superpowers given by the same incident (called Conduits) in the city that has been blocked off by the government (which has Orwellian vibes in the first game). Every big main villain Conduit has minion Conduits who have similar powers to their boss.

In the sequel, not-New York gets blown up by a walking force of destruction called The Beast, so the setting shifts to not-New Orleans. There Cole borrows new powers from another Conduit (either fire or ice powers). At the end of the second game, Cole is forced to make a stupid choice between commiting genocide against everyone who does have superpowers or genociding everyone who doesn't have superpowers. Somehow, they wrote a sequel to this, but I don't know how since I haven't played it.
Ok thanks.

So it seems the main wildcards we need to watch out for are:

A player that gets to choose between Town and Scum

Or possibly:

A player that can borrow/steal others' powers.

cabot

Ok thanks.

Or possibly:

seems like normal dusk logic.

batsnacks, reasons for your CCS, AB, Splinter and SkyOdin placements?

batsnacks

SkyOdin is frozen mafia sometimes. Is reading the game carefully but could be having a hard time playing. Blarg actually gets points for getting him to answer this:
SkyOdin, if you were formally clad in business apparel and on your way to an important meeting, but had the misfortune of having to commute outdoors through bone-chilling weather to get there in time; would you still wear a beanie to keep your head warm en route, knowing that you'd arrive with terrible hat-hair if you did?

I don't think the rest are interesting enough to flesh out right now.

Ri'Orius

Ok thanks.

Or possibly:

Those descriptions were mainly about the first two games, while all the fluff we've seen so far has been from the third (titled Second Son).

SS has the power-copier protagonist. His brother is the cop we've already seen; the Innocent Child is his grandma IIRC. The other three big name characters that come to mind are:

-Abigail "Fetch" Walker. One of two NPCs the protagonist recruits (and gets to copy Neon powers from). She's killing drug dealers when we meet her to avenge her dead brother. Probably a neutral Serial Killer role.

-Eugene Sims. The other recruited NPC (Video powers). Harasses the DUP, a bit too brutally for a good-aligned protag's tastes. Not sure what he'd translate to in this game.

-Brooke Augustine. The Big Bad, leader of the DUP. Has Concrete powers, which she can share with her underlings (and later involuntarily with the protag). Uses them to cripple people. Possibly Bulletproof, or Jailer.

I'd also point out that regardless of whether the hero is Good or Bad, he's always against the DUP (Department of Unified Protection, anti-super government police). Based on the fluff we've seen I'm speculating that the scum are DUP, and the Delsin role is always anti-scum. Possibly a choice between Town and neutral, but unlikely to turn to scum. I'd guess he's Town, and has some ability to turn Fetch and Eugene from Neutral to Town.

I see this is your first time playing with my boy Cabot.

lol

Those descriptions were mainly about the first two games, while all the fluff we've seen so far has been from the third (titled Second Son).

SS has the power-copier protagonist. His brother is the cop we've already seen; the Innocent Child is his grandma IIRC. The other three big name characters that come to mind are:

-Abigail "Fetch" Walker. One of two NPCs the protagonist recruits (and gets to copy Neon powers from). She's killing drug dealers when we meet her to avenge her dead brother. Probably a neutral Serial Killer role.

-Eugene Sims. The other recruited NPC (Video powers). Harasses the DUP, a bit too brutally for a good-aligned protag's tastes. Not sure what he'd translate to in this game.

-Brooke Augustine. The Big Bad, leader of the DUP. Has Concrete powers, which she can share with her underlings (and later involuntarily with the protag). Uses them to cripple people. Possibly Bulletproof, or Jailer.

I'd also point out that regardless of whether the hero is Good or Bad, he's always against the DUP (Department of Unified Protection, anti-super government police). Based on the fluff we've seen I'm speculating that the scum are DUP, and the Delsin role is always anti-scum. Possibly a choice between Town and neutral, but unlikely to turn to scum. I'd guess he's Town, and has some ability to turn Fetch and Eugene from Neutral to Town.

There is a role mafia called the therapist, it has the power to turn a serial killer into a vanilla townie. But it's rarely used. That kind of matches the relationship between your description of Abigail and the main protaganist though.

It's a Cosplay game, so I wouldn't rule out famous characters being assigned as regular vannilla townies, or scum getting someone famous to use as a fake claim.

Flame_AC

So in catching up (pg ~5, 50pp), I feel like while it was nice to get some more info, having two confirmed townies means that any type of protective/watch/track roles will be split between them instead of being a focus. Although I guess scum wouldn't make the mistake of going for the known quantities just yet, nevertheless it's a problem they'll have to solve.

Nice to see another confirmed townie
So in catching up (pg ~5, 50pp), I feel like while it was nice to get some more info, having two confirmed townies means that any type of protective/watch/track roles will be split between them instead of being a focus. Although I guess scum wouldn't make the mistake of going for the known quantities just yet, nevertheless it's a problem they'll have to solve.

I'd more concerned about Kawl since he could be a PR. That along with him being cleared would mean that he is far more of a wildcard than a randomly targeted townie could ever be or even a fully known quantity like Batsnacks.

Ctrl+F "godfather"

No results.

Huh.

If he survives to lylo then maaaaaaybe I'd consider it, but anything before then is waste of time.

Ctrl+F "godfather"

No results.

Huh.

See I considered mentioning Kawl might be a godfather and got suuuuuuper lucky, but I figured I'd get yelled at for discrediting or whatever again.

Well, that and I figure the odds of our daycop blowing his brains out against a godfather are pretty freakin low.

Flame_AC

Nice to see another confirmed townie

I'd more concerned about Kawl since he could be a PR. That along with him being cleared would mean that he is far more of a wildcard than a randomly targeted townie could ever be or even a fully known quantity like Batsnacks.

If he survives to lylo then maaaaaaybe I'd consider it, but anything before then is waste of time.

Eh, scum gained 0 information out of all this, they already knew who town was (assuming no 3rd party). It's just as likely for Kawl to be a PR before the check and then after as well. Personally, if I was in that position as a vanilla townie, then I'd try and seem super important so scum wastes a kill. Of course I'd hate to lose Kawl so early in the game, especially with a known alignment.

It's certainly a possibility, LP, that Kawl could be a godfather, but that'd take incredible luck. Hitting 1 of the 3/4/5 scum members, and then not only that, but the one person who would be checked as town, seems kinda unlikely. We can look at their play after a few days if you're still worried.

Eh, scum gained 0 information out of all this, they already knew who town was (assuming no 3rd party). It's just as likely for Kawl to be a PR before the check and then after as well. Personally, if I was in that position as a vanilla townie, then I'd try and seem super important so scum wastes a kill. Of course I'd hate to lose Kawl so early in the game, especially with a known alignment.

It's certainly a possibility, LP, that Kawl could be a godfather, but that'd take incredible luck. Hitting 1 of the 3/4/5 scum members, and then not only that, but the one person who would be checked as town, seems kinda unlikely. We can look at their play after a few days if you're still worried.

Scum didn't get any info, we did though. The fact that we know he's town is the difference and a knowledgeable town is bad for scum. He's just as likely to be a PR as anybody else, so the additional benefit of him being known to the rest of us is what makes him more of a target. Agree with the other points, but anyways, scum's gonna do what scum's gonna do and we can only deal with the fallout.

SkyOdin

SkyOdin is frozen mafia sometimes. Is reading the game carefully but could be having a hard time playing. Blarg actually gets points for getting him to answer this:

I don't think the rest are interesting enough to flesh out right now.
"frozen mafia"? I'm not familiar with that term. I presume you don't mean "member of scum team who freezes up", since I have never once been acum in mafia. Even I don't know how I'd play as part of the scum team. Right now I am mostly just unsure of how to get started.

Top Bottom