• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iZombie - S1 OT of Kicking Ass and Taking Brains - from the creator of Veronica Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

7yxJxlC.jpg

2sAVbT0.jpg

From the creator of Veronica Mars and Party Down and based on the shortlived DC/Vertigo comic book series, "Olivia 'Liv' Moore (Rose McIver, Masters of Sex, Once Upon a Time) was a disciplined, over-achieving medical resident who had her life path completely mapped out... until she is turned into a zombie. Now stuck somewhere between half-alive and undead, Liv loses her drive and ambition. She breaks off her engagement with charming soul mate Major (Robert Buckley, One Tree Hill), fearful of infecting him with her condition. Liv transfers her medical residency to the city morgue in order to access the only form of sustenance left available to her - the only thing that allows her to maintain her humanity - brains. There are side effects to Liv's new diet: With each brain Liv consumes, she experiences visions - flashes of the corpse's memories - which often provide clues as to how they were killed. Her boss, the brilliant but eccentric Dr. Ravi Chakrabarti (Rahul Kohli), encourages her to embrace this gift and to work with unproven homicide detective, Clive Babineaux, (Malcolm Goodwin, True Blood), to help solve these murders. In doing so, Liv finds a measure of peace, and a new sense of purpose in what her 'life' has now become."
OFFICIAL SITE

*PREMIERES TUESDAY MARCH 17th FOLLOWING THE FLASH*

Developed by Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggerio, based on the DC comics series by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred. The show's music will be done by Josh Kramon.

"Working Dead" promo

TRAILER

Mike Allred designed opening credits for the show
Clip 1
Clip 2
DC All-Access with Tiffany Smith and Rob Thomas

Starring:

Rose McIver as Olivia "Liv" Moore
vABa7W2.jpg

Robert Buckley as Major Lilywhite
c5dfnJd.jpg

Malcolm Goodwin as Clive Babinaux
a02ScNs.jpg

David Anders as Blaine DeBeers
aVsyY97.jpg

Rahul Kohli as Dr. Ravi Chakrabarti
8s7J2Zb.jpg

Aly Michalka as Peyton Charles
Molly Hagan as Eva Moore
Nick Purcha as Evan.
Chad Rook as Dylan Munson.
Bradley James as Lowell Casey

gZu5qh2.jpg

k9jaPZq.jpg

dqMnJNt.jpg

REVIEWS

AV Club: A-
"iZombie feeds the craving for quick wit left by Veronica Mars" (and then some)

Maureen Ryan: 'iZombie' Brings Brains, Fun And A Great Cast To The CW

The good news is that this show's building blocks are very strong. The dialogue, the world and the cast are all enjoyable, and the show simply exudes potential. It also shares a good deal of DNA with The CW's superhero shows: Liv has a secret that she can't tell many people, and her loneliness and bravery make her plight quite relatable, even if she is a kind of on the dead side.

EW: iZombie review - B+
While something of a Lady Frankenstein built from our best female-hero pop, iZombie nonetheless injects fresh life into the increasingly staid genre of supernatural TV.

Todd Vanderwerff: The Veronica Mars people made a zombie detective show. It’s really fun.
The new CW network supernatural dramedy iZombie throws the past 25 years of pop culture into a blender and sees what comes out — and what comes out is a lot of fun. Though it's ostensibly based on a series of comics, it has much more in common with some well-loved TV shows and movies of the past — shows like Veronica Mars and Buffy and even Weeds.

LA Times' Robert Lloyd: 'iZombie' is smart, scary and fun

The Boston Herald: It’s the “Walking Dead” “Quincy”/“Psych” mashup you didn’t know you wanted. But give “iZombie” a chance. You just might love it. B+

AICN's Herc Says "IZOMBIE, From CUPID-VERONICA MARS-PARTY DOWN Mastermind Rob Thomas, Is The CW’s Best Series In Years!!"

Once upon a time “Mars” was identified by fans as “The New Buffy,” but “iZombie” hits even closer to the “Buffy” mark by overlaying the supernatural element.

NY Times Review: ‘iZombie,’ the Undead as a Force for Good.

USA Today: 'iZombie' 3/4 stars - feeds on fun and brains

TV Insider's Matt Roush: iZombie is a lively hybrid

IGN: 8.4 "great"

Mark Dawidiziak - The Plain Dealer
The appeal of "iZombie" is that, thanks to the clever banter written for the three main characters, it works as a comedy as well as it does as a horror show and a superhero drama.

It also works as a "Veronica Mars"-type detective show, and that's hardly shocking, since many of the producers worked on "Veronica Mars." So "iZombie" has a lot going for it. This show manages to give us the hilarious, horrific and heroic . . . and it has brains.

Clevinger

I'm in.

Something about the trailers seems kinda off. But I have faith in Rob. Party Down was godly.
I only watched one episode of Veronica Mars :0

Pilgrimzero

Recently read the comic. This show will have near 0 to do with it. Which I find weird.

Why take the time to name it after a semi-popular comic and then have nothing to do with it aside from "a girl is a zombie". The girl in the comic did the "solve mystery via brains" thing maybe twice and it was a minor thing in the comic.

Reminds me of the Once upon a Time and Fables thing. Except they actually named the program after the comic.

Any who, loved Veronica Mars and will totally watch this.

Penguin

Seems early for the OT if doesn't start for two weeks, but curious to see how this fares.

Veronica Mars-quippy levels could be cool.

anaron

Recently read the comic. This show will have near 0 to do with it. Which I find weird.

Why take the time to name it after a semi-popular comic and then have nothing to do with it aside from "a girl is a zombie". The girl in the comic did the "solve mystery via brains" thing maybe twice and it was a minor thing in the comic.

Reminds me of the Once upon a Time and Fables thing. Except they actually named the program after the comic.

Any who, loved Veronica Mars and will totally watch this.
Rob's reasoning:

In today's installment of DC All Access, DC Entertainment's Tiffany Smith sits down with The CW's Rob Thomas, creator of Veronica Mars and the man who developed iZombie for television with his longtime producing partner Diane Ruggiero-Wright.

"In the comic book, there are all sorts of monsters, but that HBO show True Blood was already doing the all the monsters," said Thomas of the decision to change so much from the comics. "And there's also like a vampire/werewolf/ghost show. So I wanted to stay out of that territory."

That said, he discusses in the video what he'd already said previously: that they try to carry the high concept and the tone over from the comics by Chris Roberson and Mike Allred.

"I think what we carried over was the big idea of the comic book which is this woman in her mid-20s becomes a functioning zombie and when she eats brains she inherits the memories," Thomas told me at Comic Con this summer. "Even in the comic book she tries to solve these outstanding issues of the dead and we play that in the TV series as well. What I needed was a story mechanism that allowed her to do it every week. I wanted very closed cases and working in the police morgue gave me a dead, murdered body each week which made it easier to adapt as a TV show."
http://comicbook.com/2015/03/02/izombie-showrunner-rob-thomas-on-why-he-made-changes-to-the-comi/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I thought OTs were the week before? anyway excited for this

I have no idea why but all this time I thought this was being created by Rob Zombie and he was doing a TV zombie series. Bummer, and I am stupid.

Pilgrimzero

That's literally like saying "I really like the story of Superman, but that's been done, so I made a guy who's a lone survivor of an alien race and he comes to earth and has superpowers like Superman."

I get what he's saying. Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, etc been done to death and currently being done to death. And the girl in the comic isn't the only "zombie" out there. So not really a big deal. But what made the comic neat was the stuff outside of the zombie girl.

Their version of Ghosts, Vampires and Wereanimals and zombies etc etc was unique.

The Dead Presidents (the monsters working for the government) was a neat idea.

The vampire's who are trying to stay ont he down low and run a paintball course was fun.

The "frankensteins monster" stuff.

The cthulu stuff. etc etc

That's what made the world neat. Zombie girl was just one of many, and actually not all that interesting on her own. In fact she barely does anything in the comic. Most if not all bad situations are handled for her. Which I kind of see as a downside, but I get she's supposed to be a normal average girl dealing with a weird situation.

anaron

That's literally like saying "I really like the story of Superman, but that's been done, so I made a guy who's a lone survivor of an alien race and he comes to earth and has superpowers like Superman."

I get what he's saying. Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, etc been done to death and currently being done to death. And the girl in the comic isn't the only "zombie" out there. So not really a big deal. But what made the comic neat was the stuff outside of the zombie girl.

Their version of Ghosts, Vampires and Wereanimals and zombies etc etc was unique.

The vampire's who are trying to stay ont he down low and run a paintball course was fun.

That's what made the world neat. Zombie girl was just one of many, and actually not all that interesting on her own. In fact she barely does anything in the comic. Most if not all bad situations are handled for her. Which I kind of see as a downside, but I get she's supposed to be a normal average girl dealing with a weird situation.

I agree but I think we'll still see those elements eventually pop up so I'm not too worried (yet)

plus the creators seem to love it and Allred is designing the opening credits which people are raving about

temp

posting on contract only
I have no idea why but all this time I thought this was being created by Rob Zombie and he was doing a TV zombie series. Bummer, and I am stupid.

I had to do a triple-take on the title from Rob Zombie to Rob Thomas from Matchbox Twenty to oh yeah, TV's Rob Thomas.

anaron

Entertainment Weekly recommends: iZombie, Eloise, and Fun Home
by Esther Zuckerman

iZombie, March 17: Take a heavy dose of Veronica Mars, add a dash of Buffy, and you’ve got something like iZombie, which comes from Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas. The heroine, Liv Moore, is a zombie who uses her job at the morgue for easy access to brains. The brains not only satiate her, but also give her visions that help her solve murders and force her to take on the personality traits of the person to whom they once belonged. Don’t let the convoluted premise turn you away: This yields twisty fun mysteries. And if you’re simply looking for another kickass female hero to worship, Liv’s your girl.

IGN: Why We Think iZombie is So Fun

TripOpt55

Didn't realize the OT was up. Very excited for this. I like the comic a lot and Veronica Mars is one of my all-time favorites. I do wish they were including the other monsters, but eh. This looks really great.

Yup.

For those wanting the wilder stuff from the comics, you can bet they will include them if the show turns popular and is granted a heftier budget

ninjabat

Damn! DC taking over the CW. I like it. Hope the positive critical resposes keep coming in. This is a nice change of pace from the usual superhero comic adaptations.

Wiktor

Working Dead
From the brains behind Veronica Mars
:D Keep them coming CW. The promos make it look like ridiculously fun show.

DrBo42

Lead is rather hot so that buys a pilot watch at least. Promos have been so damn bad though. Maybe the cheese will be endearing, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom