• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iZombie - S1 OT of Kicking Ass and Taking Brains - from the creator of Veronica Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

You don't know how happy I am that this show has actual opening credits.

Feel like such a lost trademark of network shows

That's literally like saying "I really like the story of Superman, but that's been done, so I made a guy who's a lone survivor of an alien race and he comes to earth and has superpowers like Superman."

I get what he's saying. Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, etc been done to death and currently being done to death. And the girl in the comic isn't the only "zombie" out there. So not really a big deal. But what made the comic neat was the stuff outside of the zombie girl.

Their version of Ghosts, Vampires and Wereanimals and zombies etc etc was unique.

The Dead Presidents (the monsters working for the government) was a neat idea.

The vampire's who are trying to stay ont he down low and run a paintball course was fun.

The "frankensteins monster" stuff.

The cthulu stuff. etc etc

That's what made the world neat. Zombie girl was just one of many, and actually not all that interesting on her own. In fact she barely does anything in the comic. Most if not all bad situations are handled for her. Which I kind of see as a downside, but I get she's supposed to be a normal average girl dealing with a weird situation.
Couldn't stuff like this still be in the show?

Pilgrimzero

Looking forward to this.

I recently read a book called "My life as a White Trash Zombie" I recommend it.

Premise is a "white trash" girl wakes up as a zombie and goes to work at a Morgue (sound familiar) so she can get her brains as needed. Murders start happening and she gets drawn into it while trying to avoid being discovered for what she is.

It's different than izombie in that she doesnt get visions from the brains but if she over eats she gets superhuman reflexs etc.

It was a good funny read. Plan to read the second one soon.

Well, Rob Thomas is two for two so I'm looking forward to this.

But I don't really understand why anyone would make a procedural these days. Are they still worried about people missing episodes?

Joni

Well, Rob Thomas is two for two so I'm looking forward to this.

But I don't really understand why anyone would make a procedural these days. Are they still worried about people missing episodes?

On the other hand, The CW has literally 0 procedurals running at the moment. It is an actual gap for them.

Penguin

A procedural is a more... formulaic show. Doesn't necessarily have an over-arching plot, but more case of the week.. see Law and Order, CSI, NCIS, etc

Though from reviews, it seems to be a procedural with some serialized elements.

TheOddOne

So I saw the first 4 episodes of this over the weekend because my girlfriend's office had screeners and she brought them home.

I know nothing about the comic (and I've never seen/had any interest in Veronica Mars) so I was going in with zero expectations, but I actually wound up really enjoying it. It's got a fun cast and their take on the zombie thing is pretty cool. The procedural aspect is purely functional at this point but I figure it's not really about that in the end anyway.

Consider this another notch in the CW's "I can't believe this turned out as enjoyable as it is" belt.

I've got it set to save on my PVR tonight. I got very little sleep, though, so I don't know if I'll be able to watch it until tomorrow.

nynt9

Hype! The trailer had an interesting visual style, especially out of place for CW. Interested in seeing how it goes.

anaron

TV Insider's Matt Roush: iZombie is a lively hybrid

Thanks to The Walking Dead, zombies have never been a hotter, or cooler, commodity. But there's never been a zombie show quite like iZombie, with its quick and literally deadpan wit. Like a cross between Veronica Mars (whose producers adapted this from a comic book series) and Pushing Daisies, this is the delightfully droll account of how Liv adjusts to a not-quite-dead life of "post-traumatic ennui," with a chalky complexion, an adorably puzzled ex-fiancé (Robert Buckley), and a hunger for brains. She satisfies the latter by taking a job in the morgue, where her fascinated boss (the amusing Rahul Kohli) indulges her appetite by giving her full access to the daily delivery of cadavers. (It's never as gross as it sounds.) In a twist reminiscent of the whimsically macabre (and still lamented) Pushing Daisies, Liv discovers that she is ingesting memories along with the gray matter, and observing crimes from the victims' posthumor POV gives her the ability to help a struggling detective (Malcolm Goodwin) solve crimes by pretending to be a psychic.

In a disturbing side effect to her newfound vocation, Liv becomes what she eats, taking on personality traits of the deceased, which becomes especially disturbing in a future episode when she realizes, to her chagrin, "Son of a bitch, I ate the brains of a sociopath!" As if being a zombie weren't enough of an identity crisis already. But Liv's innate humanity and wry Buffy-style humor shine through, as she tries to make the best of a bizarre situation. Or, as she puts it: "What's that old zombie saying: Today is the first day of the rest of your half-dead life." This genre-bending, beguiling hoot is one of the most lively, and alive, shows of the mid-season.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
c5dfnJd.jpg

dreamfaces_1028.jpg

anaron

^ lol

Maureen Ryan: 'iZombie' Brings Brains, Fun And A Great Cast To The CW

The good news is that this show's building blocks are very strong. The dialogue, the world and the cast are all enjoyable, and the show simply exudes potential. It also shares a good deal of DNA with The CW's superhero shows: Liv has a secret that she can't tell many people, and her loneliness and bravery make her plight quite relatable, even if she is a kind of on the dead side.

USA Today: 'iZombie' 3/4 stars - feeds on fun and brains

On the bright side, in a TV universe that leans to the grim, there's a nice, light approach at work here. Despite the brain eating, producers have imbued the opening episodes with a sly sense of humor, a blend of sarcasm and bemusement, that McIver sells well. And they've avoided the sense of hopelessness the concept could have provoked by dangling the promise of a cure and by allowing Liv to find a new purpose for her life.

May it be a long and entertaining one.

anaron

AICN's Herc Says "IZOMBIE, From CUPID-VERONICA MARS-PARTY DOWN Mastermind Rob Thomas, Is The CW’s Best Series In Years!!"

Once upon a time “Mars” was identified by fans as “The New Buffy,” but “iZombie” hits even closer to the “Buffy” mark by overlaying the supernatural element.

“iZombie” gets even better when it introduces the more evil male zombie (David Anders), whose sharp wit and plantinum locks make him a sort-of Spike to Liv’s Buffy.

The Boston Herald: It’s the “Walking Dead” “Quincy”/“Psych” mashup you didn’t know you wanted. But give “iZombie” a chance. You just might love it. B+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom