• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iZombie Season 2 - Tuesdays 9/8c on The CW - Ready for Seconds?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Indeed, but it seems to imply they are coming back at one point. Which would be preferably after they find out about zombies.

Yeah, I'm not complaining they were dropped; I just feel that the writers have backed themselves into a corner by ignoring them for what was essentially the entirety of the second season. Even for a show such as this, bringing the family back into the narrative fold after several in-universe weeks of Liv not acknowledging their existence despite her brother's perilous situation would feel tremendously contrived. Just make a joke out of the whole thing, I say.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I figured Liv would get kidnapped and Ravi would have to find her. Which would have been pretty standard. It was refreshing to see it resolved within 2 minutes instead of bleeding into the next episode. Show got REALLY dark with the aftermath of Ravi having killed someone. But then it swung back to its usual tone when they ate the mercenary's brain haha. I liked both choices there.

Also, I expected Drake to live. He was valiant and sacrificed himself to be experimented on next. And even though he turned into a full on Romero zombie, I expected them to figure out a way to bring him back. But NOPE, Liv had to put him down to save Clive. Very smart decision by the writers. If you remove the looming threat that there is a point of no return for zombies, it takes all the bite out of the concept.

Drake is also Liv's second boyfriend to be shot in the head. 🙊

They played around with expectations, and then subverted them immediately. Made both episodes (especially 19) thrilling to watch. I expected Clive to get turned into a zombie. Or de Clark to get away, or Rita to join Team Z. But they sidestepped all the usual tropes.

I would expect for Season 3 for them to ease back a little. The military contractor is going to see if Liv and everyone are willing to play ball. If they don't, then there will be some pushback. Clive is still a police officer, so there is still room for them to do Brain of the Week episodes. Mr. Boss might stay more of a problem for Blaine than everyone else. Sorta like how the show Justified started giving Raylan and Boyd their own antagonists for seasons, and then eventually things would meet up at the end of the season.

Nabs

I'll just repeat a few things: great finale, great season, great show. The writers don't play games at all, they're just hitting us with crazy shit on top of crazy shit. They're definitely writing like the next episode isn't guaranteed. I like it.

Now we wait.

l83qPNr.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I thought it was about time iZombie embrazed the crazy and I'm glad they finally did it for the finale. As far as I'm concerned, this was the defining episode of the show, not to mention the most gruesome yet. Violence felt raw and the gore was considerably more disturbing than comical.

MhYmTXW.gif
LYIn1oj.gif

I'm only saddened for Ravi getting stumped like no thing and Gilda's death. I guess it was hard to avoid without incurring in some massive plot/character creep at this point, but I really liked her (and not just because of her sexy ass). On the plus side, I'm glad that we've got another highly charismatic baddie.

f6GasmP.gif

Get some!

Patryn

Awesome finale. Hopefully next year they get a full 22-episode run.

I'm bummed about Rita. I liked her.

There was an interview where the writers said that they wanted to bring Liv's family back this season, but they couldn't make them fit.

They hope to bring them back next season, although honestly I'd be ok if we never saw them again at this point.

I'll just repeat a few things: great finale, great season, great show. The writers don't play games at all, they're just hitting us with crazy shit on top of crazy shit. They're definitely writing like the next episode isn't guaranteed. I like it.

Now we wait.

l83qPNr.gif

For the new season? Yeah

For renewal? That happened a month ago. Season 3 is already a go.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Every once in a while it hits me again. THEY KILLED AND ATE ROB THOMAS!!!

He didn't even get to become Rob Zombie.

I...I...I love this.

I totally expected them to bring him back as a zombie but nope. Brain eaten. It was a nice way to end the episode with one of the mercenary guys playing the guitar as that final scene played out.

KarmaCow

I'd put money on this show still being a murder of the week show. There have been a couple different season-long villains from the start, but it still sticks to solving murders from episode to episode, I don't know why that would change with a shadowy zombie PMC hanging around Seattle.

I'm guessing they wont move away from the murder of the week format because it's a TV show, but I'm really curious how they'll justify it. The finale was basically about preventing the apocalypse for a lot of the characters, having a zombie PMC who wants to kickstart that apocalypse to rule over the world seems like a pretty big game changer. Vaughn Du Clark was an egomaniac who didn't care about much else but even he was trying to contain zombies.

Though at the same time, the outing Max Rager as the source of zombies plotline did disappear after a while, so who knows.

Ri'Orius

I'm guessing they wont move away from the murder of the week format because it's a TV show, but I'm really curious how they'll justify it. The finale was basically about preventing the apocalypse for a lot of the characters, having a zombie PMC who wants to kickstart that apocalypse to rule over the world seems like a pretty big game changer. Vaughn Du Clark was an egomaniac who didn't care about much else but even he was trying to contain zombies.

Though at the same time, the outing Max Rager as the source of zombies plotline did disappear after a while, so who knows.

Eh, I think the PMC's goals are a bit more subtle than that. I mean, they don't want a full-on zombie apocalypse: they don't seem to be sympathetic to Romeros plus they need live humans for brains. So either they go for a zombie overlord/human cattle system, or a more integrated society where humans and zombies live side by side, with zombies only eating cruelty-free brains.

Joni

A PMC working with zombies seems like a good way to get a lot of contracts. You have nigh invincible soldiers, who earn their lunch by killing insurgents. I can only imagine how cheap they can be.

Dave_6

Finally, season 1 and 2 will be releasing on Blu-ray!

Quoted from Blu-ray.com:

"Press Release: BURBANK, CA (April 20, 2016) From executive producers Rob Thomas (Veronica Mars, 90210, Party Down) and Diane Ruggiero-Wright (Veronica Mars, The Ex List), Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and DC Entertainment’s Vertigo bring iZOMBIE: The Complete Second Season to DVD on July 12, 2016. iZOMBIE, The CW’s hit series, that over 2 million people are tuning into weekly*, stars Rose McIver (Once Upon a Time, Masters of Sex), Malcolm Goodwin (Breakout Kings), Rahul Kohli (Eastenders), Robert Buckley (One Tree Hill) and David Anders (Once Upon a Time, The Vampire Diaries). The 4-disc DVD set includes all 19 episodes from the second season, plus deleted scenes and the 2015 San Diego Comic-Con panel. iZOMBIE: The Complete Second Season is priced to own at $39.99 SRP.

*Source: Nielsen Galaxy Explorer L+7 US AA%; excluding repeats, specials &

Additionally, due to overwhelming fan demand, iZOMBIE comes to Blu-rayTM courtesy of Warner Archive as individual Season 1 and Season 2 offerings. The Blu-rayTM releases of iZOMBIE will include all bonus features on the DVD versions of Season 1 and Season 2, respectively. Also available on July 12, 2016, the Blu-ray releases will be found at Amazon.com and all online retailers."

Grizzlyjin

That's great news. I was literally on Amazon two days ago and about to buy the Season 1 DVD. Guess I'll just get the Blu-rays when they drop. I know Netflix will put S2 up for streaming the day before S3 starts, but some shows I just like the own physically. This is definitely one of them.

Raxus

Eh, CW is packed and at least it might give the writers and everyone a bit more time, plus they'll know for sure how many episodes they're getting.

Plus with Supergirl landing in the CW I am just glad shows like iZombie and Crazy Ex didn't get swallowed whole by the unstoppable DC TV Universe. DCTVU?

maxcriden

While it does suck, I think the show could benefit from a compact 13 eps or so instead of what 18-20 it had this season?

I have to respectfully disagree. I think the show did a commendable job of using its 19 episodes excellently this season, with any episode that didn't significantly move forward the serialized plot (if there were any), at least offering a stellar BOTW.

While it does suck, I think the show could benefit from a compact 13 eps or so instead of what 18-20 it had this season?

13 episodes is better for iZombie, and most shows really. They have to stretch out material and its weaker overall. I'm sure everyone wants the $ that comes with more eps but a shorter season is better for viewers.

Joni

13 episodes is better for iZombie, and most shows really. They have to stretch out material and its weaker overall. I'm sure everyone wants the $ that comes with more eps but a shorter season is better for viewers.

This season already felt too condensed, with for instance no room to bring back Liv's family.

Me and the Mrs. just binge-watched this since it finally hit UK shores on Netflix and now there's a giant Liv-shaped hole in my life.

I love this show so much.

This season was plotted pretty much perfectly but the latter half of the season was built on secrets being found out by the characters. Every episode had one or two moments where someone learns another character is a criminal/undercover cop/zombie/zombiehunter culminating of course with Clive finding out Liv is a zombie. It was perfectly executed and they wisely put the procedural brain-of-the-week episode plotlines way to the background to explore the Big Storyline.

But now that almost every secret has been revealed they can't do much more of that in the next season. I hope that that can keep up the quality they have been delivering and not have the drop in quality some other CW shows have demonstrated going into season 3.

Joni

This season was plotted pretty much perfectly but the latter half of the season was built on secrets being found out by the characters. Every episode had one or two moments where someone learns another character is a criminal/undercover cop/zombie/zombiehunter culminating of course with Clive finding out Liv is a zombie. It was perfectly executed and they wisely put the procedural brain-of-the-week episode plotlines way to the background to explore the Big Storyline.

But now that almost every secret has been revealed they can't do much more of that in the next season. I hope that that can keep up the quality they have been delivering and not have the drop in quality some other CW shows have demonstrated going into season 3.

They can also show the same rise in quality as Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries.

maxcriden

Arrow dropped in S3 for sure. Trying to think of which other CW shows I watch went downhill in S3. Definitely not TVD. Hmm. Veronica Mars S3 isn't quite as good as S1-2, but it's close, and I suppose that doesn't really count. LA Complex and Carrie Diaries only got two seasons...Star-Crossed and Secret Circle only got one...which were you thinking of besides Arrow?

Top Bottom