• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iZombie - S1 OT of Kicking Ass and Taking Brains - from the creator of Veronica Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ke0

Here is an interview with her . You can hear her kiwi accent. The Host is dreadful. She does a great job on the show, very charming. I Did not think I would like this show. The chemistry between the cast is great.
http://youtu.be/oUyksDPS0t8

I am THE dumbest person in all of Berkshire at this moment (that's saying a lot because Berkshire is...sigh) and I JUST realized "Liv Moore". Never crossed my mind at any point.

Jesus fuck me.

jelly

I am THE dumbest person in all of Berkshire at this moment (that's saying a lot because Berkshire is...sigh) and I JUST realized "Liv Moore". Never crossed my mind at any point.

Jesus fuck me.

Me too, although just after a few episodes.

My first thought was that it was a zombie attack and she "died" right after dialing 911. It sets up an encounter between Zomsin and the police after they trace the call to the hotel, possibly exposing zombies to the outside world.

also, just guessing.

Nah. Lactose_Intolerant is probably right considering Ravi and Liv's discussion about Nate's body as well as the fact that Teresa was wearing a La Lune shirt. I'm 90% sure this is the first hint at werewolves.

zulux21

They are setting up a new monster type for next season.

while I am wanting this to be true, I am pretty sure I recall reading something while looking up differences between the comic and tv show that they didn't plan to use any monsters but zombies in the show.

Alas I can't find this now so it might just be in my head, but that is rarely the case for me.

to be fair the comic is nothing like the tv show

best I can find again is
In regards to the original iZombie comic, what kind of liberties did you take from the source material? Or did you follow it to a T in any way? What influenced those decisions?
Diane: We took a lot of liberties. We were inspired by the graphic novel, but one of the reasons it was a great graphic novel is the reason that we couldn’t make it a great TV show and keep it the same. The things they did in the graphic novel that made it awesome, if you translate it into TV would mean a crappy TV show, because we couldn’t just do it well. They do it great in the comics, but we can’t just couldn’t do it on TV.
There was a character that was a “wereterrier,” so one of the leads turns into a wereterrier and I had friends that did Being Human and I know how difficult, how much money and how hard it is to do those werewolf scenes that they had to do. It’s just really hard to do it well on a smaller budget. You don’t want to sacrifice special effects for story, and we just knew it was going to be too big for us. We took the inspiration from the actual journey of the main character, but the other characters we had to kind of do away with to really be able to tell the story in a visually-appealing way on national television.

again I am hoping you are right, but that last scene totally looked like it was a zombie attack from a freshly turned person trying to not give into the zombieness but failing.

plus it would make sense from an emotional point that something Liv caused is still going on.

Nah. Lactose_Intolerant is probably right considering Ravi and Liv's discussion about Nate's body as well as the fact that Teresa was wearing a La Lune shirt. I'm 90% sure this is the first hint at werewolves.

you should drop that % as the quote I just posted clearly said they are going to avoid stuff like werewolves because they are to expensive :p

you should drop that % as the quote I just posted clearly said they are going to avoid stuff like werewolves because they are to expensive :p

Something to revisit in season 2 cause I seriously doubt what happened this week to Nate, Teresa, and Cameron will be addressed in next week's episode. I'm seeing mostly try to save Major happening next week.

There's also the fact that I rarely trust show runners and writers entirely. At best, I will take the word of show runners and writers to apply to the most recent season. If it was just a zombie, they would have shown the attack.

Ugh, I hate Hulu's five rolling episode thing. I get it, but it's frustrating. I just want to watch a show I've only now heard of and give you guys ad revenue! It's a win-win!

zulux21

Something to revisit in season 2 cause I seriously doubt what happened this week to Nate, Teresa, and Cameron will be addressed in next week's episode. I'm seeing mostly try to save Major happening next week.

There's also the fact that I rarely trust show runners and writers entirely. At best, I will take the word of show runners and writers to apply to the most recent season. If it was just a zombie, they would have shown the attack.

or they only wanted to spend money on make up for one of the actors instead of both :p

it's not like they needed a big violent scene there to set things up, they have done that plenty. they can just give a little show and leave it open to leave people guessing what is truly going on even if it's just a normal new transformed zombie.

Again I would love other stuff in the show. I was sad when I checked out the comic and saw a ghost and various other monsters.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
God no, a bunch of filler episodes that don't progress the story at all. No thanks, you Americans love your pointless fillers I have absolutely no clue why.

Who said anything about filler episodes? Not every show has to go to shit because the seasons are longer than 12 episodes. Just do what you're doing now...but ..more?

Who said anything about filler episodes? Not every show has to go to shit because the seasons are longer than 12 episodes. Just do what you're doing now...but ..more?

A lot easier said than done. Keeping a serialized storyline going for 22-24 episodes straight without meandering off a cliff into filler territory, or continuously stalling major plot points through contrivance is a huge task. Hell, even episodic shows with a count that high have episodes where you can tell the writers were taking a day off. It's just hard. Shorter seasons becoming more accepted in the last decade is a big part of why TV has stepped up its game so much (besides the film industry hemorrhaging talent due to mid-budget films all but dropping out)

I think it helps when shows with that many episodes have two mini arcs instead of one 22/23 episode long story. It's helped improved Once Upon a Time a fair bit anyway.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
A lot easier said than done. Keeping a serialized storyline going for 22-24 episodes straight without meandering off a cliff into filler territory, or continuously stalling major plot points through contrivance is a huge task. Hell, even episodic shows with a count that high have episodes where you can tell the writers were taking a day off. It's just hard. Shorter seasons becoming more accepted in the last decade is a big part of why TV has stepped up its game so much (besides the film industry hemorrhaging talent due to mid-budget films all but dropping out)

I can concede that 24 episodes may be too much, but 12 or 13 is not enough. It's so annoying when a show is good and you're like 'wow i wonder what will happen next epi SHOW X WILL RETURN WITH ALL NEW EPISODES NEXT FALL!!!'.

Joni

The 13-22 episode discussion doesn't matter. iZombie wasn't made as a 13 episode per season show unlike for instance Daredevil. If they debuted at the start of the season, this 13 episode season would have gotten another 9. So whatever they planned, they would have left enough room to add 9 episodes immediately to the current run. Which probably means we'll get a huge cliffhanger because the season finale was written as a possible mid-season finale and The CW shows tend to have major shifts in those, especially in their first season. Star-Crossed exploded a bomb, Arrow reveals the Dark Archer's identity, The Flash showed who the Reverse Flash is, The Vampire Diaries has Elena attacked, ...

I don't think Sin's a werewolf or that they would introduce that kinda stuff this early.
If they did they would likely go the TeenWolf route and just make a scary face.

I think it's more likely that the band leader guy is slowly turning into a Zombie because he got the hit man's blood on him and may have ingested it at some point ... but he didn't die or get it put directly in his system.

Either Sin or Payton is a Zombie imo. Sin because she survived the attack with her head still together, Payton cause hit man zombie blooded her pretty bad without any sign of a weapon being used. Would explain why she ran away after Liv told her that a scratch turned her.

Probably completely wrong and Sin is some kinda ghost and Payton is a-ok.

ksdixon

Its just ghost whisperer/medium, but instead of giving the police tips from psychic visions, they are people's memories which she gets from eating corpses brains since she's a zombie. It's got its own twist, but I can't watch the same TV show premise again.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Gutted its the season finale next week. This show is fantastic.

Least Hannibal is back tonight or I'd have nothing to look forward to throughout the week.

So, uh

Found out it's on Amazon plus massive insomnia equals I'm caught up and waiting for next week.

NOW LET ME SLEEP, BODY

Awesome episode. Best of the season as others have said. This and the mental delusion episode are the stand outs I think. It's amazing how this show has evolved from a pleasant distraction with an alluring lead to a damn good show in it's own right. It has morphed in to some truly amazing television. I think the middle of the season or so when the plot started ramping up; that's when this show transcended in to something quite spectacular. Hyped as hell for the finale next week and beyond glad this is getting another season.

Liv also is just so perfectly cast for this. For a show that revolves so heavily around it's main character they couldn't have cast a better actress. I'm almost certain the following this show has is predominantly because of her. She's just so good in the role. Stoned Liv this week also was just adorable. A close second to drunk Liv from the other week.

I hope this show goes on for several seasons because I'm loving it so far. Looking forward to the finale next week.

JesseZao

I feel like the show would get out of hand quickly if the zombies became well-known and it turned into a x-men registration thing. Maybe Payton is a zombie, but I don't expect the "secret" getting out to be a checkpoint for the show (at least until much, much later).

This is such a great show, i origionally watched it when the first episode aired because i thought it was rediculous but i have to say it is quite great. Also, the person who plays Liv is such a lively actor and does role swapping very well. Cheer Liv was hilarious like OMG i can't believe she pulled that off so well... This show is totes awesome.

Razmos

That episode was amazing and dark. Loved the fight scene at the end, goddamn.

The scene with Peyton and Liv being girly was just so great, it rose a death flag for Peyton pretty much straight away. She's had very little involvement in the main plot, and suddenly she has a cute scene with Liv, Ravi being lovestruck with her, and Major saying that he thinks of her as a sister.

I'm glad she didn't die, and her finding out about zombies in that way was really damn cool and the best way they could have gone about it.

No clue what is going on with the band storyline. obviously Sebastian is dead, so who killed the girl (and likely the guy as well, since they are using his phone)
Is their something we've missed? a character who has slipped through the cracks?

I like the idea of there being more than just zombies out there, and a season finale would be a good time to introduce something like that.

Next week can't come soon enough. But I also don't want it too because this show is amazing and I don't want it to end yet. At least we are safe in the knowledge of a season 2.

Anyway, since I never saw these get posted, here are some promotional comic-style images for some episodes that were posted on the Facebook page for show:
Holy shit those are so damn good, especially this one:
IV0jd5X.jpg

No clue what is going on with the band storyline. obviously Sebastian is dead, so who killed the girl (and likely the guy as well, since they are using his phone)
Is their something we've missed? a character who has slipped through the cracks?

This is my biggest question right now.

So long as we don't know what kind of money the band was potentially about to make I don't think we can know who else is involved. I'm going to type words about it anyway though. Max Rager? Unless they have a music label they wouldn't get involved like this, right? And what did the band do to trigger this kind of reprisal? It wasn't Sebastian; he wouldn't have even known who they were and was doing other things even if he did know. The cheerleader is dead and opened on a slab. The stoner seemed to have an intact brain case, so not a zombie hunt or harvest, and he wasn't disappeared the way Max Rager likes.

Cameron was angry with the lead and might have taken it out on him but that by itself doesn't explain why he would have gone after Teresa. Blood on the bed implies someone/thing killed Cameron and laid a trap for Teresa. But again her head was all together and she looked more generally beat up than like something was preying on her. Except why focus on the band to begin with? Teresa confessed to a hit and run; she didn't seem like she had anything else to hide. So I think it's potentially Cameron, despite the very obvious implication that he's totally dead, because this random band getting focused is weird and we haven't seen his body. Even though there's a 95% chance it's someone else we don't know about and we simply didn't see Cameron's body for drama's sake.

And there's a decent shot that whatever hunted the band for whatever reason getting discovered by the 911 call will be the stinger to next week's episode to set up whatever season 2 is going to be.

El Topo

I'm probably misremembering things, but didn't Liv have some vision/memory flash where they talked about a lot of money and how the stoner wanted to go to the police to talk about it, whereas Cameron seemed quite intent on swiping it all under the rug? Was that money in the car they stole or where did that come from? So for all we know, either that guy is involved, or Cameron, who wants to make sure that Sin doesn't tell the cops.

And there's a decent shot that whatever hunted the band for whatever reason getting discovered by the 911 call will be the stinger to next week's episode to set up whatever season 2 is going to be.

Probably. If we get rid of the zombie gangster empire next week, that leaves space for a new big villain.

Razmos

This is my biggest question right now.

So long as we don't know what kind of money the band was potentially about to make I don't think we can know who else is involved. I'm going to type words about it anyway though. Max Rager? Unless they have a music label they wouldn't get involved like this, right? And what did the band do to trigger this kind of reprisal? It wasn't Sebastian; he wouldn't have even known who they were and was doing other things even if he did know. The cheerleader is dead and opened on a slab. The stoner seemed to have an intact brain case, so not a zombie hunt or harvest, and he wasn't disappeared the way Max Rager likes.

Cameron was angry with the lead and might have taken it out on him but that by itself doesn't explain why he would have gone after Teresa. Blood on the bed implies someone/thing killed Cameron and laid a trap for Teresa. But again her head was all together and she looked more generally beat up than like something was preying on her. Except why focus on the band to begin with? Teresa confessed to a hit and run; she didn't seem like she had anything else to hide. So I think it's potentially Cameron, despite the very obvious implication that he's totally dead, because this random band getting focused is weird and we haven't seen his body. Even though there's a 95% chance it's someone else we don't know about and we simply didn't see Cameron's body for drama's sake.

It looked to me like she was covered in deep scratches, honestly:
a169320ee36bd293c3066e96cb763aec.png

It doesn't really look like a zombies typical way of killing (brute strength), but it's hard to tell from such a short scene.

We have no idea who did it, or why, or how. Which is genuinely interesting. It seemed like the case of the week this week was just a way of leading back to the main plot, and then bam when we thought it was over, this happens.

Whoever it was told her not to trust the police.
..Unless it has something to do with Utopium dealing, and it all leads back to the boat party.

I'm probably misremembering things, but didn't Liv have some vision/memory flash where they talked about a lot of money and how the stoner wanted to go to the police to talk about it, whereas Cameron seemed quite intent on swiping it all under the rug? Was that money in the car they stole or where did that come from? So for all we know, either that guy is involved, or Cameron, who wants to make sure that Sin doesn't tell the cops.
Ah that's right, I forgot about the stolen car. Perhaps it IS something to do with Utopium then.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does this show get good ratings? I really love it and hope it continues for a long time.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Does this show get good ratings? I really love it and hope it continues for a long time.

Already renewed for a second season. CW doesn't cancel stuff anymore. He he

This show has actually gotten better for me over the past couple weeks. Although there is absolutely no reason not to tell Major at this point. Of all the people that would benefit from the information, he is #1 on the list.

El Topo

This show has actually gotten better for me over the past couple weeks. Although there is absolutely no reason not to tell Major at this point. Of all the people that would benefit from the information, he is #1 on the list.

I don't see how she could tell him. She's lied to him for months, let him believe that he is crazy and now he's very dedicated to killing all zombies.
That said, didn't he record some "If you watch this, I'm dead" message? He's gonna bite the dust.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't he record some "If you watch this, I'm dead" message? He's gonna bite the dust.

She'll eat his brains to find his killer and all his feelings for her will come out and it'll be a super sad episode.

JesseZao

I don't see how she could tell him. She's lied to him for months, let him believe that he is crazy and now he's very dedicated to killing all zombies.
That said, didn't he record some "If you watch this, I'm dead" message? He's gonna bite the dust.

She'll eat his brains to find his killer and all his feelings for her will come out and it'll be a super sad episode.

I don't think there is even a small chance that Major dies.

It does slightly better than average for CW shows and held up well without the Flash lead in. Hopefully with streaming of the first season the second will do a little better.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I am so glad they found interesting shit for Major to do on this show other than just be the forbidden love interest who shows up just to make Liv pine and feel lonely.

Bluth54

God no, a bunch of filler episodes that don't progress the story at all. No thanks, you Americans love your pointless fillers I have absolutely no clue why.

It really depends on the show and the writing staff, some shows are fine with 22+ episode seasons, others have way too much filler.

JesseZao

You're probably right, but the message has to come into play at some point. Maybe Liv searches for Major and stumbles upon the video?

That will probably happen. She'll think he's dead, but will find him just in time at the end of the episode to confront Blaine.

Maybe her brother will 'meat' a shocking death for a finally.

Ke0

It really depends on the show and the writing staff, some shows are fine with 22+ episode seasons, others have way too much filler.

I don't consume a ton of American media but I honestly can't think of a 22 episode show in which all of them moved the story and didn't have filler nonsense. I mean even Flash which was great had filler fluff that could have been cut out.

Honestly America's format is the reason I have very little hope for the Luther remake America wants to do. The reason why Luther was so amazing was because the story was tight and the short number of episodes was key. I'd dread watching the show be dragged out with "baddie of the week" episodes or things like that.

I feel that America's 22 episode format isn't for the betterment of the shows, but is there for the betterment of advertisement. I mean I just learned you guys air pharmaceutical commercials like ALL the time. I'm surprised characters in shows don't randomly burst into monologues pitching new over the counter drugs to the viewer. I mean some shows already have awkward/hella overt product placement, might as well throw pharmaceuticals into the mix.

Just my view on it.

Pilgrimzero

It looked to me like she was covered in deep scratches, honestly:
a169320ee36bd293c3066e96cb763aec.png

It doesn't really look like a zombies typical way of killing (brute strength), but it's hard to tell from such a short scene.

We have no idea who did it, or why, or how. Which is genuinely interesting. It seemed like the case of the week this week was just a way of leading back to the main plot, and then bam when we thought it was over, this happens.

Whoever it was told her not to trust the police.
..Unless it has something to do with Utopium dealing, and it all leads back to the boat party.

Ah that's right, I forgot about the stolen car. Perhaps it IS something to do with Utopium then.

I'm thinking it's some organized zombie coalition. They send their secret police to take out people who might know of their existence. "We have lived amongst you for generations" typical vampire type thing.

If so, this brings it more in line with "White Trash Zombie" than iZombie. Though if it's a Gov secret agency or a monster hunter organization that would bring it closer to iZombie.

Joni

I don't consume a ton of American media but I honestly can't think of a 22 episode show in which all of them moved the story and didn't have filler nonsense. I mean even Flash which was great had filler fluff that could have been cut out.
And I think that would make for a worse show. There is need for some normal crimefighting episodes in stuff like The Flash and iZombie. They want to solve crimes, we need to see them doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom