• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iZombie - S1 OT of Kicking Ass and Taking Brains - from the creator of Veronica Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five

Banned
It is however not that strange. O Negative is fairly rare. Only 8% of Caucasians have it, 4% of the Latino and African American community, and even only 1% of the Asian community. Taking into account that it is an universal donor, it is often used if there is no time to type match. So it is a limited group of people that can give it, but it can be given to just about everyone. The American Association of Blood Banks just warned about the shortage of O Negative last year because it is overused.

Let's just see:

Literally the first five Google hits for O Negative Short Supply are within the last year, from five different periods, sources and areas.

What does short supply mean in this context? I'm assuming hospitals aren't in short supply of blood the same way Chipotle is in short supply of carnitas. Like what's the threshold? I have to imagine hospitals are prepared to go for a month or more on blood and meds, never actually running out completely.

Joni

What does short supply mean in this context? I'm assuming hospitals aren't in short supply of blood the same way Chipotle is in short supply of carnitas. Like what's the threshold? I have to imagine hospitals are prepared to go for a month or more on blood and meds, never actually running out completely.
Blood lasts only one month and a half, 44 days to be exact, so a month's supply would actually mean it was almost fully stocked. Low supply in this case means less than a weekend.

For instance, from one other example:

Blood donations across Southern California have come to a slow trickle, with some hospitals down to only a three-day supply and others like Children’s Hospital Los Angeles in need of Type O donors.

The hospital is especially low on Type O-positive and negative, he said.

This is pretty much as low as it’s ever been,” Perumbeti said. “Our collections are 50 percent at what they normally are. We’re able to keep up with the needs of the hospital, but we don’t have any leeway in terms of collecting adequate blood if there’s an emergency.”

Which is a hospital basically admitting they have just about enough of the most common blood type - O Positive - to run their day to day operations, unless there is an emergency. You have to remember, this blood isn't just used in emergencies. They need a steady supply for sickle cell patients and babies always, always get O Negative.

Type O-negative is at a critical level at City of Hope in Duarte, with less than three days supply on hand.

It’s imperative that we have a strong supply,” Uyeno said. “If we’re down to a one-day or two-day supply that’s a scary time. Anything less than a three day supply is in the red. We’re walking that fine line.”
Same article, other hospital. Less than three days of O Negative.

Five

Banned
Blood lasts only one month and a half, 44 days to be exact, so a month's supply would actually mean it was almost fully stocked. Low supply in this case means less than a weekend.

For instance, from one other example:

Which is a hospital basically admitting they have just about enough of the most common blood type - O Positive - to run their day to day operations, unless there is an emergency. You have to remember, this blood isn't just used in emergencies. They need a steady supply for sickle cell patients and babies always, always get O Negative.

Same article, other hospital. Less than three days of O Negative.

Oh, wow. That's scary! Well, thanks for elaborating. I really appreciate it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Stellar ending. Major going all Punisher on those fools was satisfying as shit. Liv's brother showing up JUST at the wrong moment was jaw-dropping. Liv refusing to give her brother her blood considering she just condemned all of humanity the chance to be free of zombies for good was... holy shit.

My only gripe was that the laptop video didn't really come back into play. I wouldn't have minded seeing that in-between him chewing her out for turning him, and her giving him the cure. Also wanted a full-on zombie fight between Blaine and Liv.

El Topo

My only gripe was that the laptop video didn't really come back into play.

The video could still come back next season, depending on whatever main plotlines they come up with. Maybe they investigate him due to Clive's suspicions and find the video? A trial/investigation would also be a way to get Peyton more involved, assuming she comes back. I doubt Major will just get away with killing several people.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stellar ending. Major going all Punisher on those fools was satisfying as shit. Liv's brother showing up JUST at the wrong moment was jaw-dropping. Liv refusing to give her brother her blood considering she just condemned all of humanity the chance to be free of zombies for good was... holy shit.

My only gripe was that the laptop video didn't really come back into play. I wouldn't have minded seeing that in-between him chewing her out for turning him, and her giving him the cure. Also wanted a full-on zombie fight between Blaine and Liv.
Yeah I liked that her brother and the job application went in a completely different direction than you would have thought.

Pluto

Even if the hospital is out of 0 negative, what good would Liv's blood do? She couldn't donate more than one bag of blood and I don't think that would make such a big difference if the doctor already points out he "needs more", that doesn't sound like one bag and he'll be fine!!!

Also does Evan need red blood cells or plasma? Because for Plasma AB is the universal donor which is something a lot of tv shows overlook.

And she could just tell her mother she's sick and cannot donate blood, that wouldn't even be a lie and could avoid all drama of her not being willing to save her brother.

Joni

Even if the hospital is out of 0 negative, what good would Liv's blood do? She couldn't donate more than one bag of blood and I don't think that would make such a big difference if the doctor already points out he "needs more", that doesn't sound like one bag and he'll be fine!!!
One bag is already three units. Considering the circumstances, might even bet on two bags.

And she could just tell her mother she's sick and cannot donate blood, that wouldn't even be a lie and could avoid all drama of her not being willing to save her brother.
Yeah, would be fairly easy for them to write themselves out of it.

Hamlet

So satisfying
poQzXDN.gif

JesseZao

The video could still come back next season, depending on whatever main plotlines they come up with. Maybe they investigate him due to Clive's suspicions and find the video? A trial/investigation would also be a way to get Peyton more involved, assuming she comes back. I doubt Major will just get away with killing several people.

Yeah. This has to happen. Makes sense.

So satisfying
poQzXDN.gif

...and then he just hung around the window turned away...

I mean I'm glad they didn't do the cliche last breath grab to kill/hurt major, but still. Horror movie character logic.

Major's Rambo style zombie takedown to Der Kommissar is still emotive and resonant even days later. Such a fucking fantastic and cathartic scene. Perfect song choice. Elevated the finale from good to great IMO. Listening to the track now and all I can think of is Major shooting zombies lol.

Philippo

Blain being the real MVP of the episode.
He delivered the witty antagonist sooo good.

Brother thing felt a bit forced, basically everyone around Liv will eventually interact with zombies or become one, but it'll be interesting to see the reactions from her choice.

Still, really the best surprise of this TV shows season, hope it'll keep delivering.

Qvoth

great finale!
i have a feeling the brother
will return as a zombie and turn into a villain
for revenge, maybe he drinks max rager a lot? i mean he's a teenager so it's not too far fetched

great finale!
i have a feeling the brother
will return as a zombie and turn into a villain
for revenge, maybe he drinks max rager a lot? i mean he's a teenager so it's not too far fetched

How is that a spoiler?

Yeah, I think so too. Something about the actor makes it seem like he'd be good playing a bad guy. Might be the glasses.

Avari

Pretty much. I really hope they don't over-play the refusal to create family drama. There's no shortage of plausible reasons she could provide for refusing to provide blood.

El Topo

I need some good TV shows to watch again.

Well, this thread is about iZombie.
I like the show, but I'm not sure if I'd call it legitimately good, except for the last two or three episodes.

Pretty much. I really hope they don't over-play the refusal to create family drama. There's no shortage of plausible reasons she could provide for refusing to provide blood.

Well, there has to be a reason they decided to go this way with the story, so it will probably lead to something. That said, it was "Live or die" for her brother, kinda hard for me to come up with plausible reasons.

Kevin

Is this show not coming to Blu-Ray anymore? Can only find DVD listings for it. This would probably be the first Warner Brother's release to not get a Blu-Ray release. Lame!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Excited for season 2. Is it a full episode order this time around?

No, still 13 with the possibility of 16 or 22. Unless it really takes off this season, I don't think it'll get an extended order as the CW if in the rare position of having too many shows right now.

No, still 13 with the possibility of 16 or 22. Unless it really takes off this season, I don't think it'll get an extended order as the CW if in the rare position of having too many shows right now.

You know what, 13 is a good number. The pacing was good, and there wasn't any bloat that often comes with the 22 episode seasons.

That was amazingly fast. Guess the show's unexpected success prompted quite a rapid production schedule. So glad to have this back. Anyone know the exact date season 2 starts?

Shaanyboi

Banned

I'm fine with this. The show benefited alot from having not having too much filler beyond the case-of-the-week.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Honestly, I'm fine with 13 episodes. I really like shorter seasons over the longer ones.

Can't believe this starts again next month!

I prefer more so there's a smaller gap between seasons but obviously a lot of shows have problems with that many episodes. It seems at least ABC has come to a good solution for that and hopefully some other shows follow suit, it seems the CW is at least when it comes to giving production more time before the second half of a season starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom