• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iZombie - S1 OT of Kicking Ass and Taking Brains - from the creator of Veronica Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono01

This show really surprised me. When I read/heard the plot premise a while back it sounded bad. Really bad. However, with the constant tv spots, as well as learning who's behind the show and the positive attention it was getting here on NeoGAF, I thought I'd give the show a try.

I'm glad I did.

The show is a lot of fun and it's definitely on my list of things to record weekly. Great stuff.

Just finished. That... was a terrific opener.

- Love Rose McIver. She is awesome as Liz. Love all the snark that she brings, but she does a great 'pathos' vibe as well for the sad and bittersweet moments. Immediately liked her.

- Like the supporting cast morgue doc and detective. Really like how excited the doc is and how the detective just rolls with it.

- The rest of her family was eh, but I liked the ending where her mom is happy that Liv seems happy.

- Loved the snarky humor.

- Sad that Liv cannot have sex, but hey! At least she has a purpose in life now.

FrsDvl

I watched this cause why not? Didn't expect much, trailer bored me. But, I definitely enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to next week!

Krakn3Dfx

Show is Forever with an undead medical examiner instead of a medical examiner that can't die. Everything on TV these days seems to be a twist on Sherlock Holmes.

Having said that, characters are likable. Freddy's son from House of Cards as the cop shows the actor has some actual range.

Hopefully it does better ratings wise than Forever, which shows every sign off being canceled at this point.

Sheroking

As far as pilots go, that was decent. Rose McIver is the key to everything here. I imagine I'll like the show a lot more with the antagonistic presence of David Anders featured more prominently.

They really made a poor decision in going with the VO though. I practically hear Kristen Bell. They didn't need it.

As far as pilots go, that was decent. Rose McIver is the key to everything here. I imagine I'll like the show a lot more with the antagonistic presence of David Anders featured more prominently.

They really made a poor decision in going with the VO though. I practically hear Kristen Bell. They didn't need it.

I thought the VO was fine, as long as it's sparingly.

I'd love it if the Suave Latin Lover from Jane the Virgin narrated this though, hahahaha.

I actually thought the comic panel transitions were cheesy though. Didn't like them.

Hamlet

Really enjoyed it and the supporting cast is pretty decent. Lots of funny moments also. I'm game for the rest of the season.

Wiktor

Such a fun premiere. I love pretty much all the characters. They're so lively and fun, altough in different way. Even the mother, which has a character type that should be annoying, is actually hilariousl. The dialogue is snappy and there's so much good humor.

Fun, fun, fun.

But most of all the zombie girl is just awesome. Great slacker vibe, sharp tongue, but can still pull off sadness and happiness well. And damn...she looks so much hotter as a zombie than as normal girl

DC's tv domination continues. 6th good show in a row. Fricking impressive.

Show is Forever with an undead medical examiner instead of a medical examiner that can't die. Everything on TV these days seems to be a twist on Sherlock Holmes.

Having said that, characters are likable. Freddy's son from House of Cards as the cop shows the actor has some actual range.

Hopefully it does better ratings wise than Forever, which shows every sign off being canceled at this point.
Nah. Forever is Sherlockian. This here is Deadzone with a zombie. Those are two main groups of wacky detective procedurals - Sherlocks and Mediums.

-Deimos

It started out a little slow but the episode got better as it went along. Clive and Ravi are both pretty fun characters, I think the show has a lot of potential.

Oh and that Dying Light scene was hilarious.

Fun show

I felt a little bad for it, my mind is still processing The Flash so wasn't 100% watching it

But enjoyed it

That's why I decided to watch this first haha. Now it's time to get legit shook.

I liked, especially the main trio. They have good chemistry together, so I can see it working out. It definitely has potential to be fun, they just have to develop the supporting cast. Liv's family, roommate and ex are boring at the moment (although I could like her brother).

It wasn't love at first watch for me like Jane The Virgin, but I will stick around for few more episodes at least.

anaron

1x02 promo

and on a superficial note: I can't wait until they get to Liv's later season hairstyle/nicer wig. she already looks great but she manages to look even cuter

JXGGLti.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Minus calling Gwen Liv, the pilot was really fantastic. I hope the show continues to get stronger as the season goes forward.

anaron

"@robertbuckley: We originally shot a huge choreographed dance sequence just like Thriller but had to cut it out due to time constraints. #iZombie "

I knew it Liv dancing was cut due to the pilot missing a scene from the original trailer but a whole sequence? DAMNIT

arumisan

Liking this show already! I love the rapport between the three characters- Liv, Ravi and Clive. The Liv inspection scene between Liv and Ravi was grreat - the two actors played off each other very well!

Can't wait for the next ep.

Pilgrimzero

Liv can't have sex!?

Nooooooooo poor girl.

But man, is she drop dead gorgeous.

I'm really enjoying the show, currently watching it.

She's worried she will spread the zombie virus. She doesn't know for a fact she can't have sex she just doesn't want to chance it. If it's anything like the comic (and this show really isn't) she can have all the sex she wants.

Does anyone else hate the "funny names" thing. Liv Moore (Live More) the zombie. Major Lilywhite. It seems... tacky.

I don't like her coworker. He should have had a bigger issue with a living dead person eating brains in his office.

Her going into savage zombie mode should have had repercussions. Like getting shot and in a car wreck should have made it so she needed brains to heal up the wounds etc. And she just turned savage mode off in a blink. I think going super powered and wounded should make her NEED brains ASAP to replenish spent energy.

I probably shouldn't have watched some Veronica Mars the day before because I found myself comparing it.

Anyhow just nitpicks really. I liked the show. I hope putting it on the same time as SHIELD doesn't hurt it.

BTW looked up the actress on Masters of Sex, DANG.

Kaladin

The only thing I can think of to fault this show with is how odd it is to have a beautiful zombie. The CW trope of beautiful people doing heroic things strikes again.

I dunno....you expect a zombie to be a zombie, not a pale British girl who is more like a brain eating psychic vampire.

At least they explain that though.

anaron

The only thing I can think of to fault this show with is how odd it is to have a beautiful zombie. The CW trope of beautiful people doing heroic things strikes again.

I dunno....you expect a zombie to be a zombie, not a pale British girl who is more like a brain eating psychic vampire.

At least they explain that though.

she's the exact same in the comic and would look more traditionally gross the longer she goes without eating a brain

Thought it was good fun if a little on the safe side, but expect that from a pilot not on a premium cable channel. Let's see where it decides to go once it is a little more established.

Do we know if it is a short order? Or going to run into summer?

anaron

Thought it was good fun if a little on the safe side, but expect that from a pilot not on a premium cable channel. Let's see where it decides to go once it is a little more established.

Do we know if it is a short order? Or going to run into summer?
13 episodes for season 1

22 if it's picked up season 2.

Kaladin

she's the exact same in the comic and would look more traditionally gross the longer she goes without eating a brain

I can't even think of 5 ugly headlining female comic book characters.

DIG015111_1.jpg

While I get that it's the comic too, it's still odd.

I do like that they explain that she becomes more normal as she eats brains.

I also like the fact that she does zombie research despite the fact that she's not a traditional zombie by any means.

wildfire

Banned
I do like that they explain that she becomes more normal as she eats brains.

I also like the fact that she does zombie research despite the fact that she's not a traditional zombie by any means.

Since I don't follow the comic I find those twists to be neat as well.

I'm looking forward to the full extent of her power set because what will happen if she takes too much physical damage. Does eating more brains give her regeneration? How long do the memories last? How many memories can she juggle at once?

We'll see stuff like this as the show moves along.

Pilgrimzero

Since I don't follow the comic I find those twists to be neat as well.

I'm looking forward to the full extent of her power set because what will happen if she takes too much physical damage. Does eating more brains give her regeneration? How long do the memories last? How many memories can she juggle at once?

We'll see stuff like this as the show moves along.

In the comic she has to eat one brain per month or things start to go wrong. She also says they taste like the worst thing you can imagine times 1000.

Also, she doesn't really have powers in the comic aside from the memory thing which in the comic is more like the brain owner talking to her in her head. Kind of like a ghost talking/yelling at her.

Also, the more brains she eats the more of her own memories vanish. In fact, it seems she can't even remember her full name.

I watched about 60% of the pilot, but it was late and I started to fall asleep. Not because of the show, though.

What I saw was decent. I'll be finishing it today.

TripOpt55

Really loved this. Had some more time to put my thoughts together, so here is more of what I thought:

-I love the concept. Should make for a nice twist on procedural cases. Her visions and her picking up traits especially should be a lot of fun in that regard (loved the kleptomania thing).
-McIver is awesome as the lead. Can't say I know her from anything else. Also agree she is super cute as a zombie with the way she dresses and the pale skin and hair.
-Ravi is my favorite of the supporting characters. I like that instead of weirded out he was sort of jazzed about her condition. Clive is good too. I don't think the family, roommate and ex-fiance really got enough time to really stand out much with so much else in the pilot, but hopefully they will in coming weeks. David Anders should be great for the other zombie though.
-Definitely reminded me of Veronica Mars in many good ways. The lead, the dialogue, the narration, even the music.
-Hope it has a good bit of serialized storytelling like VM did running behind the weekly cases. The seeds are certainly here. Haven't read much about how the balance between that stuff will be.
-Loved the comic intro and transitions.
-As someone else mentioned, the names are a bit much, but eh whatever.
-Cliff!

And some more funny stuff:
-Liv buying the bronzer and Night of the Living Dead.
- These lines: "A strong male role model." "Because you believe in zombies." and "Wait... me? What?" (look on her face on that last one really killed me. Also forget the actual line but the one about the vibe she said in the apartment hallway.

Great pilot. Can't wait to see more.

Wiktor

-Ravi is my favorite of the supporting characters. I like that instead of weirded out he was sort of jazzed about her condition. C

What I loved was that with all the funny bits and action, they still inserted a lot of heart into the story. I specifically meant the moment where he was testing the diseases. There was genuine care from him there and doing it was simply obvious to him. And at the same time you could see this has warmed Liv's heart like hell, because she never expected hope or this kind of kindness.

Effect

http://comicbook.com/2015/03/18/izombie-creator-chris-roberson-calls-tv-adaptation-fantastic-sha/

http://chrisroberson.tumblr.com/post/113882513529/six-years-ago-this-month-i-had-an-idea-for-a-comic

I know some were concerned regarding the show not adapting the original comic faithfully. I think I've heard some say it's only iZombie in name. Always a concern I know. The creator of iZombie had some words to say regarding the show that he put up yesterday. The tumbler link is his.

Now, almost six years to the day that I first came up with the idea, a new version developed by Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero-Wright is set to debut on the CW network. I’ve seen the first four episodes of the series, and they’re fantastic.

Great first episode, some good banter between Liv and her two main allies and the concept is really good. It also injects quite a lot of fun into the zombie detective thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom