• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iZombie - S1 OT of Kicking Ass and Taking Brains - from the creator of Veronica Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Really enjoyed the pilot. I think they took the best aspects of the comic and improved on them. Definitely can feel the Veronica Mars wit shine through as well. Liv plays well off her boss and the detective. Definitely could see myself digging this as a more limited series (13-16) episodes.

What I loved was that with all the funny bits and action, they still inserted a lot of heart into the story. I specifically meant the moment where he was testing the diseases. There was genuine care from him there and doing it was simply obvious to him. And at the same time you could see this has warmed Liv's heart like hell, because she never expected hope or this kind of kindness.

I liked that moment okay but I think it was on the nose in that it was setting up Ravi searching for the cure as a major story arc a bit too clearly. He said something like "It might take me years."

Philippo

Wow i expected to like it, but not so mu h.
Definitely will keep following.
And she's already waifu material.

Dat Allred opening damn

wildfire

Banned
I liked that moment okay but I think it was on the nose in that it was setting up Ravi searching for the cure as a major story arc a bit too clearly. He said something like "It might take me years."

It's 2 doctors working at a morgue. Even big pharma takes years for cures.

JustinBB7

Interesting in this, CW has been good to me with Arrow/Flash. Is this show sort of like those 2, but instead of a superhero theme a zombie theme?

From that 30 second trailer in the OP it looks like a zombie version of House. Comedy any good?

Pilgrimzero

Interesting in this, CW has been good to me with Arrow/Flash. Is this show sort of like those 2, but instead of a superhero theme a zombie theme?

From that 30 second trailer in the OP it looks like a zombie version of House. Comedy any good?

The humor is like Veronica Mars, as its made by the same guy. If you've never seen it then I'd say like the humor in Buffy.

It's 2 doctors working at a morgue. Even big pharma takes years for cures.

I don't have a problem with the plausibility of it taking several years, just that it seem kind of piloty the way it was introduced, especially following the exposition heavy scene introducing the main character's family.

I'm really just nitpicking, though.

El Topo

The show is amusing, the cast is okay and the main actress is great, there's the expected (quirky) humor, but otherwise it seems like your standard crime procedural and it feels a bit too safe/predictable. Not impressed. I wish the show followed the comic. Then again, maybe the show just needs some time.

wildfire

Banned
iZombie debuted with a 0.9 in 18-49 and 2.34 million viewers in the fast nationals. That was on par with the premiere of The 100 (0.9, 2.67 million) last midseason, though iZombie had a stronger lead-in. (The 100 actually built onto Arrow‘s 0.8, 2.36 million). UPDATE: In the finals, iZombie was adjusted down to a 0.8. All in all, still an K start for the the new drama, which is more offbeat and quirky than the CW’s typical superhero comic fare. It actually tied Fox in the 9 PM hour among 18-49 and topped it in total viewers.

Someone mentioned the rating before but I feel this quote gets across how we should feel about its chances.

Prestige Capo

Neo Member
I recorded this on a whim and I didn't think I would enjoy it but I actually really did. Will definitely be sticking with this.

And Rose McIver... *bites lip*

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I actually really enjoyed this, and I'll be dammed if that isn't the cuttest zombie ever.

Really enjoyed the pilot, but man, what an awful title. This'll be one of those shows people write off before even giving it a shot just because of an annoying name.

Joni

That was a very fun way to start the show. Required viewing on my list from now on.
The other crime procedurals I'm watching - Castle and Criminal Minds - are boring nowadays so a 'funny' 'different' procedural is what I need right now.

harSon

Banned
I really enjoyed it, but kept thinking to myself... "Bryan Fuller would have fucking knocked it out the park with this source material."

GavinUK86

It was alright. I kinda wish they'd stuck to the comic instead of making Veronica Zombie. It didn't feel like it had any heart.

El Topo

I decided to watch the pilot again. Is gimmick crime procedural a term? I liked the show a lot less this time. It's just such a standard procedural with a premise slapped on it. Then again, hopefully things will change.
Right now it kind of reminds me of those fake NBC shows from Community.

Really enjoyed the pilot, but man, what an awful title. This'll be one of those shows people write off before even giving it a shot just because of an annoying name.

They should've just called it 'Zombie Psychic Detective'.

notBald

The pilot was surprisingly fun. I wonder how well the actress spoke Romanian, that was a neat twist. Does she keep these skills or are they reset buttoned between the episodes?

anaron

The pilot was surprisingly fun. I wonder how well the actress spoke Romanian, that was a neat twist. Does she keep these skills or are they reset buttoned between the episodes?
essentially resets but I'm sure the writers are gonna want to keep some of them for future use

I really enjoyed it, but kept thinking to myself... "Bryan Fuller would have fucking knocked it out the park with this source material."

Bryan Fuller's version would be similar to a darker take on Pushing Daisies, I imagine.

I was wondering the same thing myself.

There was a Dead Like Me vibe early in the episode, I think.

Thinking on it, I wonder if Fuller is like a necrophiliac or something. Every goddamn show with the death theme.

tumblr_n045wwhmpb1sbi6f3o1_500.gif

The show is amusing, the cast is okay and the main actress is great, there's the expected (quirky) humor, but otherwise it seems like your standard crime procedural and it feels a bit too safe/predictable. Not impressed. I wish the show followed the comic. Then again, maybe the show just needs some time.

The show's premise at the moment is way to restrictive and this isn't The Wire or True Detective.
Almost guaranteed they will have to expand into the more supernatural side into things inspired by the comic

Very cute show about a surprisingly cute zombie. Anime-esque almost

joesmokey

This seems like a modern retelling of Medium to me and I'm okay with that.

Pilot was a little shaky but a lot of fun. Hopefully they flesh out her family life to make them more relatable, as right now we pretty much have to trudge through them to get to the good stuff.

rude

Banned
Honestly one of the better CW pilots. I liked that it moved at a breakneck speed. Nice that the lead actress can actually...act.

Loving the that's so raven inspired flashbacks?

-Deimos

Random but kind of related, this reminded me of a British zombie show I was meaning to watch but forgot about called In The Flesh. I just watched the first 3 episodes and they were amazing, but the show got cancelled after its second season because BBC was too cheap to produce it. Disappointing since it had a lot of potential and shared similar themes with iZombie like zombies living alongside regular people. I trust CW not to make the same mistake though.

Hamlet

Random but kind of related, this reminded me of a British zombie show I was meaning to watch but forgot about called In The Flesh. I just watched the first 3 episodes and they were amazing, but the show got cancelled after its second season because BBC was too cheap to produce it. Disappointing since it had a lot of potential and shared similar themes with iZombie like zombies living alongside regular people. I trust CW not to make the same mistake though.

Though it is a lot more depressing than iZombie ha. But yeah I'm still pretty sore over BBC canceling it. Season 2 was doing some pretty interesting stuff. So many unresolved questions now sigh.
Hopefully iZombie fares better.

-Deimos

Though it is a lot more depressing than iZombie ha. But yeah I'm still pretty sore over BBC canceling it. Season 2 was doing some pretty interesting stuff. So many unresolved questions now sigh.
Hopefully iZombie fares better.

iZombie is way more upbeat lol. I survived Young Justice and Utopia being cancelled, I think I'll finish watching S2. Hopefully it doesn't end on a cliffhanger and at least I have iZombie to ease the pain.

NimbusD

Caught the pilot on Hulu cuz I was bored. Not bad.

Then I read into how it's actually a comic and but has nothing to do with the comic because they wanted to not look like it's aping true blood. Which is ridiculous because all I could think while watching this show is how it's aping Chew.

I'd much rather have seen Chew as a series. But here's to hoping that this show's good either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom