• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT4| No Country for Old Karma

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

The current system tries to balance your LP gain with your MMR: it tries to accelerate you when you're playing better opponents than your placement (i.e., play vs Plat players but in Silver league) and slows down when you're playing worse opponents than your placement (i.e., play vs Silver players but in Plat league). The goal is to get those two to be the same: Play vs Plat players while in Plat league.

Also, I don't believe 11 LP is a normal gain. It should be around double that.

And it was Silver (1150) to Gold (1500) for Season 2.

Blizzard

Banned
Remember in the old system how if you played enough ranked, your rewards would go down, and no matter what you did, you would win or lose like 11 points per game? Presumably what happens is the same sort of thing, where if you play enough games, the system figures that statistically you deserve to be where you are, so you're going to get very little adjustments to your position for winning or losing. Something about the MMR/confidence (MatchMaking Rating). So old system or new, going anywhere will take a long time.

Actually, it may take even longer with the new system. With the old system, wasn't silver 1250 and gold 1500? Let's even be generous and say you needed 300 elo to get from silver to gold. Now if I'm not greatly mistaken, the minimum elo change once you'd played like 200 ranked games in season 2 was +/- 11. So for 300, let's round up and say 28 straight wins.

With the new system, starting at silver V and going to gold I, if what you describe turns out to be a general rule and you get +/- 11 LP for each game, you would need 10 straight wins for each of the 5 tiers (possibly 1-3 extra when you near the top of silver I since the game ramps your reward down there to make sure you're not on a streak or whatever). In addition, assuming you never lose, you would need 2 promotion game victories for the first four tiers, and 3 (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) for the final upgrade 3/5 promotion match. So, (5*10) + (2*4 + 3) = 61.

So, season 3 is supposed to give you a better feeling of making progress, but it sounds like you're stuck with winning roughly 60 straight instead of 30 straight, for DOUBLE the number of hours you would have previously had to put into the game, to go from silver to gold.

Scy or other math people, if there are hard numbers that prove otherwise by all means post them, these are based on what Terbinator posted and what my S2 experience was.
The current system tries to balance your LP gain with your MMR: it tries to accelerate you when you're playing better opponents than your placement (i.e., play vs Plat players but in Silver league) and slows down when you're playing worse opponents than your placement (i.e., play vs Silver players but in Plat league). The goal is to get those two to be the same: Play vs Plat players while in Plat league.

Also, I don't believe 11 LP is a normal gain. It should be around double that.

And it was Silver (1150) to Gold (1500) for Season 2.
I stand corrected about the old Silver VII tier. Still, that would just move you to 350 elo needed, and 32 games rather than 28. Neither of those numbers are near 61.

Also, you mention that the current system is seeking to use MMR to end up matching you against players who are the same skill level in the appropriate league. Is there any evidence that once the system gains confidence that such a situation is in place, +/- 11 LP gains are NOT normal? I know no reason to doubt Terbinator, and I'd be quite interested to hear if he keeps playing ranked, whether he ever starts to gain or lose a different amount.

The only explanation I can think of is if he lost a lot at Silver V, he might be effectively in say, Bronze V, and the 11 LP gains are to mask his climbing all the way out of bronze back into silver, thinking of how the old system worked. If Terbinator ends up in Silver III or II and still has +/- 11 LP a game then I think that's pretty low.

I stand corrected about the old Silver VII tier. Still, that would just move you to 350 elo needed, and 32 games rather than 28. Neither of those numbers are near 61.

Also, you mention that the current system is seeking to use MMR to end up matching you against players who are the same skill level in the appropriate league. Is there any evidence that once the system gains confidence that such a situation is in place, +/- 11 LP gains are NOT normal? I know no reason to doubt Terbinator, and I'd be quite interested to hear if he keeps playing ranked, whether he ever starts to gain or lose a different amount.

The only explanation I can think of is if he lost a lot at Silver V, he might be effectively in say, Bronze V, and the 11 LP gains are to mask his climbing all the way out of bronze back into silver, thinking of how the old system worked. If Terbinator ends up in Silver III or II and still has +/- 11 LP a game then I think that's pretty low.

My mate is in Silver I and has now gotten the Veteran badge, so his LP gains and losses are all around 11 LP, so yeah once the system thinks that's where you should be 11 is pretty normal from what I've seen.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The new system has way more safety nets in place. Why would you expect the gains to be as high?

Not that it matters. Some of you guys care way too much about your rank.

scy

My mate is in Silver I and has now gotten the Veteran badge, so his LP gains and losses are all around 11 LP, so yeah once the system thinks that's where you should be 11 is pretty normal from what I've seen.

I forgot about the Veteran badge which seems to do that to LP gains/losses. I think the normal swings were higher but that may also be before confidence.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the confirmation. It sounds like it does take about double the time to get anywhere compared to the previous system once you have your veteran's badge, then. I'll probably just stop playing for the season if I ever get to that point, lol.

I realise this isn't the LCS thread (I posted about it there already) but you all should really watch the VOD of the Copenhagen Wolves vs. EG match from the EU LCS. It was incredible.

I forgot about the Veteran badge which seems to do that to LP gains/losses. I think the normal swings were higher but that may also be before confidence.

I've seen in a couple of places that the Veteran badge does not change LP gains/losses, it simply tends to happen around the time the system thinks you're settled in your 'right' place.

Me too, in fairness. Articulation isn't always easy. >.<

Yeah the veteran badge in itself doesn't cause elo gain decline (afaik), but if someone has it it's usually an indication that that's probably where they belong and the system has probably settled on that.

Veteran badge is a mark of shame.

Not necessarily. Someone could be in Diamond and have the veteran badge, that's hardly shameful. Just means you've probably hit your peak.

Veteran badge is a mark of shame.

Not necessarily. Someone could be in Diamond and have the veteran badge, that's hardly shameful. Just means you've probably hit your peak.

I don't think it's a mark of shame (and I will almost certainly have a Bronze veteran badge if I play enough ranked, I'm already 2W/2L in placement >.<). But it might make any attempt at climbing fraught with 'lol bronze vet noob'.

falastini

Can somebody link that custom store mod. I'm sick of having to dig through the store on some champs.

Oh, and that custom hp one for your character. I'll try that one too.

Thanks

Ocho

During my Silver run I got that badge and still made 20+ LP per win. I even went from 55 LP Silver 1 to promotion in two consecutive wins.

zkylon

zkylewd
My lux build:

Start faerie charm, 2 blue pots, 3 red pots and a ward. On first b, I should be able to get tear of goddess+boots+2 wards and 1-3 red pots.

If I can't buy those items, I'll know I haven't been farming well enough or I've been pushed out of lane. If this happens, I go chalice into athenes (I really hate this route though, prevents lux's early game instagibs). If I go this route, i'll end up doing nothing but farming. I ask the jungler not to gank unless I need serious help.

If I do go tear, it's pretty much a free win now. I'll build it up, stand in the mid bushes or near the wraiths and fire some Q-E-Rs to harass with an endless supply of mana. On the next b, I either get haunting guise or a large rod. Haunting guise (and then rabadons) if i'm vsing assassins like talon/kat/diana/etc.. Large rod for everything else. Then I finish the rabadons and begin building a codex for morellos. Then void staff.

I usually juggle between sorc shoes and ionian boots depending on the situation. If i'm really ahead, i'll buy sorc boots to ensure kills with the Q-E-R combo. If i'm just farming, i'll just keep boots 1 until I finish my rabadons (I run 2 ms quints to help in counter ganking and following the enemy mid).

I'll get ionian boots if i have a support score like 1/4/16. Rather donate the buff and get 40% cdr through items to be a wave clearer/cc/shield machine.
yeah I'm not a fan of tear on anyone, anivia, lux, orianna, no one. I basically go for NLR, chalice or seeker's armguard as first buy depending on who I'm laning against and how I'm doing.

I'm trying morello's now because it seems like a strong alternative to athene's, but to me morello's+tear is kinda of a waste, you're spending two item slots and a lot of money on solving your mana issues (among other things, but they both overlap on that use), when you could just get athene and then spend the extra money on something else, like zhonya's, which I like ten times better than seraph's (more AP, a buildpath that always gives you AP, better bait imo since they can't even click you, less cooldown, it's obviously a lot more expensive but you get what I mean).

personally I like to get to the point of infinite mana early and just spam spells. morello's forces you to be way less spammy, but it's ridiculously cheap and makes it easier to get a deathcap earlier so it's basically meant for smarter, more effective spell use.

Can somebody link that custom store mod. I'm sick of having to dig through the store on some champs.

Oh, and that custom hp one for your character. I'll try that one too.

Thanks
http://enigmablade.net/lol-item-changer/

garath

Thanks for the confirmation. It sounds like it does take about double the time to get anywhere compared to the previous system once you have your veteran's badge, then. I'll probably just stop playing for the season if I ever get to that point, lol.

I think what's missing here is after you get promoted, you probably go back to normal LP gain (~20-25) for a win. I don't think it would be 11lp per game for the entire tier, just the division.

You basically have to convince the system you are better than your current placement - streaks seem to be the biggest contributor. However, once it's happy with where you are, it will get tougher to gain. It is like the old elo system in that regard.

Currently I'm 6 games after my placement into Silver II and I just qualified for a series. I was seeing gains of 26+ LP per win. My one loss was a loss of 22. Granted I'm still in the big swing portion of my ranked experience but the theory is sound.

Macattk15

I've played probably 200 games in Gold IV. There is no way this league is my "peak". My KDA is over 4:1 on basically purely solo queue.

I consistently get FUCKED in my promotion games .... I'll easily win my lane but I get trolls or feeders in other lanes.

I consider the veteran badge to be a symbol of terrible fucking luck.

Kenai

Everyone bans Blitz, no one bans Thresh. When will they learn.

I'm doing my best to instill the fear of Thresh in everyone and everything I see, but no one thing I can do is as scary as a Blitz jungle grab I guess.

FYI, I might be alone in saying this, but I like the title (and it's far superior to the old title too imo).

Agkel

awww... I was 6 wins out of 7 games with 5 in a row all in ranked and lost due to lee sin d/cing the first 15min and the other team shutting down my jungle. Feels bad!

I think I'll hit Silver before the 3rd month, since I started playin LoL, is over.

Dota player here, wanted to play LoL for a bit.
I took my account from 2 years ago, I got 8 heros there it seems I need 8 more to play ranked?

Any tips how I can get them the fastest?

Leezard

I took my account from 2 years ago, I got 8 heros there it seems I need 8 more to play ranked?

Pay money.

for the free alternative, get the cheapest ones (450,1350 IP). You probably want to play some normals before you head into ranked though. Solo queue ranked can be harsh.

edit: There are regular sales. You can buy an IP boost in the store which is efficient for the cheap heroes.

Ashhong

I wanna be the very best.

T9rMgVV.png

How the hell do you get so much IP?

garath

Is it too late for a noob to get started in this game? What do i need to know?

Not too late at all. The game is still going strong and because its free there is a constant stream of new players.

Start with the OP, browse through the new player portal on the main leagueoflegends website, then start playing some games.

If you haven't played a moba before, there is a learning curve but the game is great fun and your climb to level 30 will get you very familiar with the basics. From there the sky is the limit. The game has a pretty damn high skillcap.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I've played probably 200 games in Gold IV. There is no way this league is my "peak". My KDA is over 4:1 on basically purely solo queue.

I consistently get FUCKED in my promotion games .... I'll easily win my lane but I get trolls or feeders in other lanes.

I consider the veteran badge to be a symbol of terrible fucking luck.

Do you help the other lanes win thier lanes?

Ferga

yeah I'm not a fan of tear on anyone, anivia, lux, orianna, no one. I basically go for NLR, chalice or seeker's armguard as first buy depending on who I'm laning against and how I'm doing.

I'm trying morello's now because it seems like a strong alternative to athene's, but to me morello's+tear is kinda of a waste, you're spending two item slots and a lot of money on solving your mana issues (among other things, but they both overlap on that use), when you could just get athene and then spend the extra money on something else, like zhonya's, which I like ten times better than seraph's (more AP, a buildpath that always gives you AP, better bait imo since they can't even click you, less cooldown, it's obviously a lot more expensive but you get what I mean).

personally I like to get to the point of infinite mana early and just spam spells. morello's forces you to be way less spammy, but it's ridiculously cheap and makes it easier to get a deathcap earlier so it's basically meant for smarter, more effective spell use.

http://enigmablade.net/lol-item-changer/

I don't buy morello for the mana regen though. I buy it for the heal reduction and massive cdr. It gives me everything lux needs. Plus the heal reduction destroys adcs because they will always have the debuff on them if you play it right. And I still have a strong belief that Athens is the weakest route of itemisation for lux because it delays your ability to one shot carries. You're focusing more on utility and sustained damage with the cdr when you could rush a rabadons after tear and nuke anyone 25minutes in, no matter how fed they are.

There are always new players and the game tries to match you with them. The problem is that there are experienced players who create new accounts ("smurfs") just so they can steamroll newbies. Those players can also be the very toxic ones who got their main account banned.

The game has a tutorial and Coop vs AI. I suggest just playing Coop vs AI until you get comfortable.

Boken

Banned
The new system has way more safety nets in place. Why would you expect the gains to be as high?

Not that it matters. Some of you guys care way too much about your rank.
Yeah get over yourselves
wait, athene is not good for lux anymore ? =/
It's a more defensive version of chalice morellos, basically
Oh hey PAD friend! Yeah it's fine, there's plenty of new people. Check out the in game tutorial, maybe Google a new player guide and have fun in coop vs ai games until level 8!then you're ready for the real thing. Just remember to have fun and ignore stupid people
I took my account from 2 years ago, I got 8 heros there it seems I need 8 more to play ranked?,

Don't buy unless you absolutely love a champion. My recommendation is that just play draft until you're decent because bronze mmr ranked is probably worse than bronze mmr normals. If you have to ranked, there's the 2 free champs, and a bunch of cheap goons you can get with ip I guess. You'd probably want one full rune Page at least though

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't buy morello for the mana regen though. I buy it for the heal reduction and massive cdr. It gives me everything lux needs. Plus the heal reduction destroys adcs because they will always have the debuff on them if you play it right. And I still have a strong belief that Athens is the weakest route of itemisation for lux because it delays your ability to one shot carries. You're focusing more on utility and sustained damage with the cdr when you could rush a rabadons after tear and nuke anyone 25minutes in, no matter how fed they are.
yeah like I said I like morellos, but I think tear+morellos is dumb because it's mana overkill. tear is the same as chalice, gives you tons of mana but delays your damage, thing is, you still have to build another item for CDR, either morellos or athenes, and both have wasteful mana regen. athenes gives you both in one item and if you know you get second blue you can buy chalice after deathcap or at least NLR.

I'm right now trying morellos and it's working out pretty great, but I think I'd rather buy a second fairie charm and sell it when I no longer need it than go tear route.

Ferga

yeah like I said I like morellos, but I think tear+morellos is dumb because it's mana overkill. tear is the same as chalice, gives you tons of mana but delays your damage, thing is, you still have to build another item for CDR, either morellos or athenes, and both have wasteful mana regen. athenes gives you both in one item and if you know you get second blue you can buy chalice after deathcap or at least NLR.

I'm right now trying morellos and it's working out pretty great, but I think I'd rather buy a second fairie charm and sell it when I no longer need it than go tear route.

You don't need more Cdr if you get blue or get a blue elixir. Getting 40% cdr through items is a waste if you're able to get blues or have the gold to blue elixir up. Seraph embrace+morello gives you insane late game damage. And mana regen is never a waste. You can farm forever. Lux and TF are like the only two champs I can farm over 100cs every 10minutes. Pretty easy to get 250cs at like 22 minutes in even with ganking. I use to go your build but I experimented and was amazed how my Q-e-r combo was still melting everyone late game. Seraphs embrace is an amazing item on lux.

Just think about it;
If you go chalice over tear, you have less damage fir late game and they both solve your mana problem. It's extremely easy to finish stacking a tear by the 25 minute mark so you can buy a seraph for insane ap before 30minutes after a rabadon.
If you go chalice into athene, you get a bit more cdr and can't kill carries so you essentially set your team up to be a poke comp or you become a shielding/poking support carry thing. Poke comps are extremely risky to play in solo queue because people get impatient. So why not build the item which gives you the most ap in the game (seraph) and allow you to one shot any squishy targets and make the game a 4v5? You'll have your ult back before the carry spawns too. There's been so many instances ( did it 4 times this week) where I instantly kill a carry before a team fight even happens, then push, do it again and then keep throwing out Q-e-r combos and essentially win from one major push starting from an outer turret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom