• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.12: "Everybody Loves Hugo" (Because He's Like The Best Character On The Show)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me how the writing process works? For television, I mean. Do they just turn them loose with guidelines or something?

Blader

brandonh83 said:
Can someone explain to me how the writing process works? For television, I mean. Do they just turn them loose with guidelines or something?

I imagine for Lost, Lindelof and Cuse break down the season themselves and hash out what they want to happen and when. Then they congregate as a group, tell the writers specific story beats they want each episode to hit, then the writers handle the individual teleplays (likely with some Darlton oversight, to make sure nothing strays from the plan).

For most shows, the season outline--and individual episodes too--are broken down by all the writers, not just the head honchos.

big ander

brandonh83 said:
Watch 30 Rock. :p

Really, I don't know the intricacies, and I'm curious also.

I figured. I just had the feeling that Lost may work out a bit differently than other shows. Not sure why. There's just so many different writers I guess.

Blader

brandonh83 said:
I figured. I just had the feeling that Lost may work out a bit differently than other shows. Not sure why. There's just so many different writers I guess.

Yeah, and for most shows, you'd be right. But Lost has such a specific story direction, I can't imagine Darlton are ever having to submit to something one of the writers pitches (unless they like the idea).

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
They probably all have contributed their own ideas to the mythology and where eps should go, but Darlton are usually the final say. We probably give them more credit than they deserve a lot of the time, just because it's easier to sum it up to two guys doing the whole thing.

thekad

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
They probably all have contributed their own ideas to the mythology and where eps should go, but Darlton are usually the final say. We probably give them more credit than they deserve a lot of the time, just because it's easier to sum it up to two guys doing the whole thing.

Maybe in the earlier seasons, but now the story has to begin and end (and go through) Darlton.

This episode is directed by same guy who directed Ji Yeon, btw. Seems to be his only other directed episode of Lost.

It's just an insane amount of work and talent. My brain has a hard time comprehending how they get such great stuff finished as fast as they do. Especially being a film student, hearing how they're still shooting the finale that airs NEXT MONTH is just crazy. I mean there's so much post work. Editing, music, everything, and it usually turns out so good. Obviously I'm not terribly versed in television production but since we were on the subject of the writers I thought it would be a good time to ask. It's something I had been wondering about for a while.

SpeedingUptoStop

SpeedingUptoStop said:
9pw9z4.gif

I'd love to have an Avatar of the epic zoom in on Jack's face (the one where the frame rises from his chest to his chin) just before the gif is over. Somebody, please hook a brotha up?
Still would appreciate if somebody could do this for me. I'd do it myself, but I don't have a program that can cut out the stuff before/after what I want, it can only edit down what's there.

SpeedingUptoStop

brandonh83 said:
As much as I mess around with Photoshop and other software, I still don't know how to make a damn gif :lol
I'm honestly surprised there is no easy "gif" program, after all these years of it's implementation on the internet.

Sooooo here's something else I've been meaning to bring up.

The Last Supper-inspired Season 6 promo image. Now that we're pretty far into the season... any guesses?

SpeedingUptoStop

brandonh83 said:
Sooooo here's something else I've been meaning to bring up.

The Last Supper-inspired Season 6 promo image. Now that we're pretty far into the season... any guesses?
Well, Illana's dead before they ever really met up, so I'm back to my original theory that it didn't really mean anything to begin with.

Nameless

SpeedingUptoStop said:

There's a recent interview out there where Lindelof goes over the whole process. The entire writing staff collaborates with Darlton in outlining each episode. Once the outline is done the assigned writers of that episode pump out a 1st draft of the script which Darlton go over making notes & revisions before giving it back to the assigned team to write the second draft. Once that draft is ok'd by Darlton it then goes to production. After it's shot Darlton do the editing as is the case with every episode.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Well, Illana's dead before they ever really met up, so I'm back to my original theory that it didn't really mean anything to begin with.

Could be the case, but now that we know, concretely, that there is an on-island purgatory, I'm just saying that characters who "die" have every chance of reappearing. The one reason I wasn't pissed off at what happened to Ilana is that I'm starting to see death in Lost as something somewhat facetious. I have no doubt in my mind that they didn't just introduce her to bring the candidates together.

I sort of went off on that, so back to the question, I agree that it could mean absolutely nothing and they just thought it would be cool, but I don't think that Ilana's "death" really has any weight on the matter.

SpeedingUptoStop

brandonh83 said:
Could be the case, but now that we know, concretely, that there is an on-island purgatory, I'm just saying that characters who "die" have every chance of reappearing. The one reason I wasn't pissed off at what happened to Ilana is that I'm starting to see death in Lost as something somewhat facetious. I have no doubt in my mind that they didn't just introduce her to bring the candidates together.

I sort of went off on that, so back to the question, I agree that it could mean absolutely nothing and they just thought it would be cool, but I don't think that Ilana's "death" really has any weight on the matter.
Oh yea, she'll be back. Probably more in flashbacks than ghost form tho, I think.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Still would appreciate if somebody could do this for me. I'd do it myself, but I don't have a program that can cut out the stuff before/after what I want, it can only edit down what's there.

I should have them ready in the morning. I'll make certain you get dibs on that one.

I Push Fat Kids said:
This season sucks so bad.

I don't think it sucks but the writing does feel phoned-in in quite a few places.
Obviously, anyone who has stuck it out this long is going to see it through...be it as it may, a lot of shit has been bothering me. Most of the things that bother me stem from things that happened in the earlier seasons though so it's sorta hard to fault the writers for that.

Sorta feeling like the "why do you guys want answers" people were right all along.....I personally could have went without the Michael "we are all ghost on the island" thing...:lol That really irks me because that brings up soooooooo many separate issues in and of itself, many of them philosophical in nature, and there is really not much time to delve into this stuff.

Ironically, the show also feels very aimless to me right now. Which is strange because it has never been more steered towards something (the ending). I can't really explain it...I guess the best I can say is that I want (a) main character(s) again. Right now, I don't really feel like we have that. I know it's always been an ensemble....but things have never been this equal before. Less Kate is the only good that has come of this....:D

I dunno, I guess it doesn't help that I feel a little burnt out as well. Most of the things that are supposed to really blow my mind are still cool, but I'm no longer really thinking about the show that much after the episodes end like I used to.

There will definitely be some good debates in the future in regards to these last two seasons.

TheGreatDave said:
It wasn't the content, it was just written in such a simple, almost patronising way.

For me, it's more about the fact that now we have like half of the cast just "stuck" on the island.

They can either move on from the issue (Which leaves this huge philosophical mess that I mentioned), or they are going to somehow "free" all these people. It still introduces a bit of a mess, because now we've got all this "soul" stuff to deal with. I was willing to "buy" two characters being able to communicate with the dead, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that all these dead souls sorta just "linger" around...I sorta thought the communication was more of a "coming back to give a message" thing, not a "we are all just trapped" here thing.

Also, it doesn't even touch upon the off island ghost...and if "Hurley is crazy" is the answer to these, than you have a perfect example of the sloppy writing I was talking about. Not to mention that I believe that Jack has seen his father off the island (Pills making him hallucinate?)

SpeedingUptoStop

Liara T'Soni said:
For me, it's more about the fact that now we have like half of the cast just "stuck" on the island.

They can either move on from the issue (Which leaves this huge philosophical mess that I mentioned), or they are going to somehow "free" all these people. It still introduces a bit of a mess, because now we've got all this "soul" stuff to deal with. I was willing to "buy" two characters being able to communicate with the dead, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that all these dead souls sorta just "linger" around...I sorta thought the communication was more of a "coming back to give a message" thing, not a "we are all just trapped" here thing.

Also, it doesn't even touch upon the off island ghost...and if "Hurley is crazy" is the answer to these, than you have a perfect example of the sloppy writing I was talking about. Not to mention that I believe that Jack has seen his father off the island (Pills making him hallucinate?)
While I lean more on the "some dead people are stuck, some can move back and forth and warn people" deal, the bigger question regardless of all that, is motivations. Before, the only apparent motivation was to help/warn people, but Michael seemed like he could be telling Hurley, straight up, don't blow up that plane...because it may actually benefit Michael in some way. "I'm stuck here....you blow up that plane, I could be stuck here forever." some shit like that, is what occurred to me.

I guess if they never address it again, I'll have to fall back on the general "ghost whispers sent as warnings" idea, but I'll be left confused by the direction of this episode, definitely.

fireside

SpeedingUptoStop said:
s6u655.jpg

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
fireside said:
Jack after The Incident

notvfb.jpg

Is the original really too dark though? Looks fine for me.

:lol

It's... it's perfectly usable, yes. But just wait until you see the version I put up later today. You'll see what I'm talking about. ^_^

Nameless

For the record, this isn't directed at anyone in particular, but it perplexes me to no end why people go out of their way not to enjoy something. Much less something they claim to be a fan off. To 'waste' their time merely to have something to complain about. Why? There literally has never been a show on TV where one couldn't over scrutinize to the point of negativity. Not one. Jesus Jacob Christ, being in a constant state of malcontent can't at all be pleasant, can it? If you feel LOST sucks, as someone said earlier, stop watching. You'll never find a simpler solution to anything. The "I invested 5 years" argument is bullshit..Why torture yourself? What does that say about your life that you rather spend it negatively than.. not? The most logical course of action would be to stop watching now, and if you must, finish off the series in a chunk once it's concludes instead of miserably trudging through the rest of it(that's what I'm going to do with the last 7 or so episodes of Heroes at some point).

Not saying LOST threads have to be a giant circle jerk but there's a difference between smart criticism and incessant bitching. There's a difference between pointing out plot holes and shitting on the story by jumping to conclusions about what you can't possibly know when there's still six hours left in the narrative. And just because the writers didn't take the series in the direction of some lame-ass theories you spent far too much time coming up with doesn't mean the season is lame or poorly done. Some of the shit, some of the stupid ass fuckin drivel posted in this thread(s) has just wrong & ill-informed, if not pulled directly from someone's ass and slapped on the keyboard. FUCK.

Only 6 hours left. At least try to enjoy it. Do it for me. And if you you think I'm an asshole do it for yourself. You might fine that the sun's a little brighter in the morning.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Nameless said:
Only 6 hours left. At least try to enjoy it. Do it for me. And if you you think I'm an asshole do it for yourself. You might fine that the sun's a little brighter in the morning.

2m3sil4.jpg

Yes sir. :./

^_^

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Nameless said:
For the record, this isn't directed at anyone in particular, but it perplexes me to no end why people go out of their way not to enjoy something. Much less something they claim to be a fan off. To 'waste' their time merely to have something to complain about. Why? There literally has never been a show on TV where one couldn't over scrutinize to the point of negativity. Not one. Jesus Jacob Christ, being in a constant state of malcontent can't at all be pleasant, can it? If you feel LOST sucks, as someone said earlier, stop watching. You'll never find a simpler solution to anything. The "I invested 5 years" argument is bullshit..Why torture yourself? What does that say about your life that you rather spend it negatively than.. not? The most logical course of action would be to stop watching now, and if you must, finish off the series in a chunk once it's concludes instead of miserably trudging through the rest of it(that's what I'm going to do with the last 7 or so episodes of Heroes at some point).

Not saying LOST threads have to be a giant circle jerk but there's a difference between smart criticism and incessant bitching. There's a difference between pointing out plot holes and shitting on the story by jumping to conclusions about what you can't possibly know when there's still six hours left in the narrative. And just because the writers didn't take the series in the direction of some lame-ass theories you spent far too much time coming up with doesn't mean the season is lame or poorly done. Some of the shit, some of the stupid ass fuckin drivel posted in this thread(s) has just wrong & ill-informed, if not pulled directly from someone's ass and slapped on the keyboard. FUCK.

I agree 99.89%!

I watch Heroes :(

Nameless said:

fuck 'em. bunch of sour apples I say.... we'll never get to have another burrito on the wall.

threenote

Banned
Nameless said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom