• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Jamie OD

This thread needs more freedom.
BpC0W8k.gif

Just wait until Lana turns American.

This might sound random, but does anyone have that screen capture (maybe it was a fake tweet) of Hogan tweeting about marks getting worked into a shoot or something along that lines, it's always hilarious

Hasney

hahaha, thank you, was this a real tweet?

It was. James Storm was supposed to win the title against Roode, but Roode ended up going over at the PPV as a swerve. Then Storm won it on the next impact anyway and Hogan sent that IIIRC. Bizarre TNA as always.

Aiii

So not worth it
WWE has no idea what it is doing. The network is free in a may.,might as well just make it free all the time

As I said in response to Sunny Mac's (?) comments regarding KotR, I think they had a huge drop-off post-Mania (they should have seen that coming after boasting so highly on the 1,3m number) and seem to be in full-on panic mode right now.

Fox318

When you keep on giving away your product for free people will see less value in it over time.

Plus you hear shit like Jericho and others thinking the network is going to do 3-4 mill subs.

There are not 3-4 million fans willing to pay for Vince's narrow view of what professional wrestling is.

No Jerry Springer Clip show or 4 minute youtube series like the Renee Young thing is going to fix that.

warrior_dec1997_offer.png

In December 1997, it seems Vince wasn't exactly sold on Austin yet. He got really desperate after Bret took off to WCW and offered Warrior a 5-year deal worth a guarantee of $750,000. Warrior would have also received 35% of royalties on merch, whereas everyone else (including Austin) was only getting 25%. Warrior also would have had to only work 14 dates a month. Warrior told Vince to fuck off and signed with WCW a few months later.

How different would things had been if Warrior did sign that deal and was around under contract through 2003?

Probably not much. Warrior would have stuck around a couple months, be a real dick to work with, and would probably get fired 4-5 months later.

Fox318

neFEwxz.png

WWE Studios
WWE Studios recognized revenue of $1.5 million as compared to revenue of $4.3 million in the prior year quarter.The decline in revenue was primarily due to the performance and timing of results from the Company’s portfolio of movies as the prior year quarter reflected the strong performance of The Call (released theatrically in March 2013). WWE Studios' movie portfolio generated a loss of $0.4 million in the quarter compared to income of $1.6 million in the prior year quarter. In March 2015, WWE Studios released The Flintstones & WWE Stone Age Smackdown (directto-DVD), which continues the Company's successful partnership with Warner Bros. Animation.
Time to kill WWE studios.

Its a stupid venture that does nothing to promote the brand or make any fucking money.

Even with the Call grossing as much as it did they barely brought in any money.

I don't know what he changed in his diet/workout, but goddamn is it working

Yeah, I noticed that also, his body fat really dropped, dude is looking ripped

Time to kill WWE studios.

Its a stupid venture that does nothing to promote the brand or make any fucking money.

Even with the Call grossing as much as it did they barely brought in any money.

They don't need to kill WWE Studios, they can be a legit studio if they actually tried to make legit movies. No one is looking to see the Miz or (insert WWE wrestler) act in a lead role. They could probably make money producing indie movies that have real credibility attached to them

This month I'm excited for THE RETURN OF THE KING at CZW Proving Ground when Nick Gage takes on Drew Gulak. 4 years in the making - how will DJ Hyde fuck it up?

Gage's return promo was the most 1998 style wrestling promo of all time.

I would like to see more of CJ Parker. He did a great time there.

Hasney

Since there's now even a PC conference at E3, if I win the lottery before then, I'm booking out a venue in the area under the guise of a weird studio name which will make everyone think it's Kojima fucking with them, walk out on stage with my face in covered up, slowly tease a reveal of pulling it off after something vaguely MGS plays like the alert noise or something, then stand there and do armpit fart noises until the press leaves.

Will be difficult considering I don't play the lottery, but I could find a winning ticket godammit

I don't know what he changed in his diet/workout, but goddamn is it working

If I remember right, he said he'd spent so long trying to look big, but with smaller guys like D-Bry coming through, he realised he didn't need to do that shit anymore, and just got ripped instead.

Interesting , network not profitable b/c mania was expensive

as significant growth in subscription revenue was partially offset by the production costs associated with WrestleMania. Reduced profits from Home Entertainment and WWE Studios also partially offset the overall OIBDA growth.

I never understood why Rick Steiner wore that headgear until recently thanks to the WWE Network! I had no idea he used to team with IRS as a college wrestling tag team.

Cagey

Banned
If I remember right, he said he'd spent so long trying to look big, but with smaller guys like D-Bry coming through, he realised he didn't need to do that shit anymore, and just got ripped instead.

He made the right choice because he never managed to put on mass, he just looked progressively skinnyfatter.

He looks damn good now.

Heel

I just want to note that this quarter last year was centered around Daniel Bryan's WrestleMania run.

Bean, is it possible the purchase of Daniel Bryan merch in a show of solidarity with his plight was not enough to offset the sheer amount of fans that were off-put by his treatment and lack of push as "the guy", resulting in what was a much better quarter this year?

That's what I'm thinking, personally, but I'd love to get your take here.

I just want to note that this quarter last year was centered around Daniel Bryan's WrestleMania run.

Bean, is it possible the purchase of Daniel Bryan merch in a show of solidarity with his plight was not enough to offset the sheer amount of fans that were off-put by his treatment and lack of push as "the guy", resulting in what was a much better quarter this year?

That's what I'm thinking, personally, but I'd love to get your take here.

Or the network just launched and tanked the company for the whole year.

Heel

Or the network just launched and tanked the company for the whole year.

That wouldn't really explain the near 100% growth in live event revenue this quarter compared to last.

Though again, I just think Daniel Bryan fans were so upset by that point that they decided to not purchase tickets at face value, or stay home entirely in a show of support, forcing WWE to slash prices for the quarter and paper audiences.

Hasney

I know I didn't buy tickets, Heel. Anecdotal, but if 1000's of people are like me which is a possibility, then that could explain it.

That wouldn't really explain the near 100% growth in live event revenue this quarter compared to last.

Though again, I just think Daniel Bryan fans were so upset by that point that they decided to not purchase tickets at face value, or stay home entirely in a show of support, forcing WWE to slash prices for the quarter and paper audiences.

If so then why did they sell more tickets at higher prices this year?

North American live event revenue increased 68% to $38.3 million from $21.7 million in the prior year quarter,
driven in part by the timing of WrestleMania, which generated revenue of approximately $15.7 million in the
current year quarter. Excluding the impact of WrestleMania, revenue growth from the Company’s North
American live events reflected a 7% increase in average ticket prices to $44.88 and a 4% increase in average
attendance to 6,700 fans. These factors more than offset the impact of 8 fewer events in the region.

Oh, hey, it says right in that press release that the higher live event numbers are probably because Wrestlemania was in March this year, rather than April. Makes sense - you have that NXT show, all the Axxess shows that week, plus I'd bet that there's a steady ramp-up in attendance two weeks before Mania.

Fox318

It was the first profitable quater in over a year

CD2AEHgUUAAF1d3.png

The expense of launching the network is over. Now they can focus on content with stuff like Tough Enough.

Honestly though they need a lead in to raw as a 3rd hour on Mondays. The 3 hour show is killing the popularity of the brand since they really need twice the amount of active guys to run the TV time they want to run.

Hasney

Oh, hey, it says right in that press release that the higher live event numbers are probably because Wrestlemania was in March this year, rather than April. Makes sense - you have that NXT show, all the Axxess shows that week, plus I'd bet that there's a steady ramp-up in attendance two weeks before Mania.

I didn't go to Wrestlemania either, so there must be a better explanation.

The expense of launching the network is over. Now they can focus on content with stuff like Tough Enough.

Honestly though they need a lead in to raw as a 3rd hour on Mondays. The 3 hour show is killing the popularity of the brand since they really need twice the amount of active guys to run the TV time they want to run.

Meltzer and Alvarez discussed this today. They are eroding their audience at the expense of higher rights fees. 3rd hour is big source of income. TV rights are the main source, if income

You know how to save the Network, Vince.
saturdaynight92.png

At this point I'll just take the '97 Nitros. It was easily the best year of the show. I remember watching several episodes on YouTube a few years back and was blown away how much more entertained I was then watching the current product.

Fox318

Meltzer and Alvarez discussed this today. They are eroding their audience at the expense of higher rights fees. 3rd hour is big source of income. TV rights are the main source, if income

They also need to start running in better arena's in big cities.

They shouldn't be running the Rosemount or Barklays center when they could fill up the United Center or MSG.

I get the the costs are lower but running in those Arena's will help the brand especially MSG.

They can run house shows all they like but Raw and PPVs are what people want to see.

Heel

If so then why did they sell more tickets at higher prices this year?

A positive outlook from the Yes Movement, believing he would beat Roman Reigns and be inserted into the main event of WrestleMania, resulting in a willingness to buy premium tickets from the WWE, who through Hasney Factor analytics picked up on the trend and adjusted pricing accordingly.

When that win didn't happen (in the business; they call this a "swerve"), they still believed it was a possibility he could be inserted into the title picture and kept spending money in support of the Movement. They were armed with the knowledge that it had happened once, and could happen again.

Top Bottom