• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

OctoMan

Banned
They also need to start running in better arena's in big cities.

They shouldn't be running the Rosemount or Barklays center when they could fill up the United Center or MSG.

I get the the costs are lower but running in those Arena's will help the brand especially MSG.

They can run house shows all they like but Raw and PPVs are what people want to see.
They do lots of shows at msg, no?

Rosemont is one of the great historical wrestling arenas of all-time with a lot of history with WWE so I can't imagine them moving out of there.

Licensing revenues increased 18% to £10.8 ($16.5) million primarily driven by increased video game revenues that derived from both higher unit sales and effective royalty rates than in the prior year quarter. Estimated unit sales of our newest franchise game, WWE2K15, increased globally by approximately 30%. Additionally, the increase in licensing revenue benefited from higher sales of downloadable content associated with our franchise video game, WWE2K14, and a WWE branded game, WWE Supercard.
God dammit, we're stuck with Yukes forever

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It was the first WWE game in years with relatively decent looking graphics. The tail will drop soon enough it's as shallow as this last one was.

Recall

It was the first WWE game in years with relatively decent looking graphics. The tail will drop soon enough it's as shallow as this last one was.

I'm in the gameplay > graphics camp, when do I get catered for?

I would even take a sequel to one of the most over the top and insanely fun wrestling games in WWE All-Stars

Fox318

They do lots of shows at msg, no?

Rosemont is one of the great historical wrestling arenas of all-time with a lot of history with WWE so I can't imagine them moving out of there.

You could probably fit an extra 2 thousand people in the United center.

And the MSG shows are glorified house shows to try and placate and keep Dolan and company happy.

They really should also try and expand the significance of Summerslam by doing it in an outdoor arena. The Red Bull Stadium or other Soccer stadiums in the US would be a perfect test for this...A mini-mania. Instead they are going to pay for Brock to be in a smaller Arena.

A winter Classic style PPV event in a major league ball park wouldn't be a bad idea if they could find a place to hold it in the Summer. A major event that makes people travel that doesn't overshadow the brand significance of wrestlemania.

Sephzilla

God dammit, we're stuck with Yukes forever

d6MszPy.gif

klonere

Banned
Who wouldn't?

they could do an adult swim style thing and fund hip and edgy shit that would be on the fringes of network TV/film or even stuff to throw up on the Network. Like Playboy used to fund some crazy shit like Roman Polanski's version of Macbeth.

Of course this will never happen because Vince McMahon Jr wants to make movies, but only his movies with his stars.

Fox318

they could do an adult swim style thing and fund hip and edgy shit that would be on the fringes of network TV/film or even stuff to throw up on the Network. Like Playboy used to fund some crazy shit like Roman Polanski's version of Macbeth.

Of course this will never happen because Vince McMahon Jr wants to make movies, but only his movies with his stars.

Every venture outside of wrestling led by WWE has been a failure.

They only way that WWE films could make money is if they do really cheap shit like Oclus and they don't have the marketing or the resources to fully do a small film justice.

Other then that they shouldn't be throwing budgets around for movies with wrestlers or movies with 0 wrestlers in them.

Sephzilla

Vince probably has some crazy belief that putting wrestlers in movies is going to bring more eyes to the WWE product (the only time this ever actually worked is probably The Rock being in Mummy 2). The reality is only wrestling fans are going to be the people who check out these movies since they're straight to DVD garbage. I kind of think The Rock going mainstream was a bad thing for WWE because it probably filled Vince's mind with a lot of bad ideas.

klonere

Banned
Every venture outside of wrestling led by WWE has been a failure.

They only way that WWE films could make money is if they do really cheap shit like Oclus and they don't have the marketing or the resources to fully do a small film justice.

Other then that they shouldn't be throwing budgets around for movies with wrestlers or movies with 0 wrestlers in them.

as much as we rag on VM for fucking shit up, surely there has to be a more general malaise at a management level that would explain some of these things.

or is it really vince and dunn.

A positive outlook from the Yes Movement, believing he would beat Roman Reigns and be inserted into the main event of WrestleMania, resulting in a willingness to buy premium tickets from the WWE, who through Hasney Factor analytics picked up on the trend and adjusted pricing accordingly.

When that win didn't happen (in the business; they call this a "swerve"), they still believed it was a possibility he could be inserted into the title picture and kept spending money in support of the Movement. They were armed with the knowledge that it had happened once, and could happen again.

So. Bryans a draw then ;-)

Fox318

Vince probably has some crazy belief that putting wrestlers in movies is going to bring more eyes to the WWE product (the only time this ever actually worked is probably The Rock being in Mummy 2). The reality is only wrestling fans are going to be the people who check out these movies since they're straight to DVD garbage. I kind of think The Rock going mainstream was a bad thing for WWE because it probably filled Vince's mind with a lot of bad ideas.

I think its for other businessmen and sponsors.

In Vince's head nobody wants to sponsor some carny organization that produces wrestling but if he can talk like his company is a media empire that makes movies it probably makes him feel better when in a meeting with an actual executive from Harvard instead of a fake one.

Its why he will make a video like this with buzzwords. When in reality all he did was add more sex, blood, and cursing.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hmm.., stolen from reddit

From this week's Observer. Interesting stuff.

The plan for Lana long-term right now is to be the female face of the company once her babyface turn is completed. At least that’s the long-term plan this week. Vince McMahon feels that part of the transition has to include a reveal that she’s really American. The plan is to keep the Lana name, although there has at least been talk of C.J. (Her real name is Catherine Jo Perry), with the idea C.J. makes people think hot blond because of the character Pamela Anderson played in “Baywatch.”

Also a note on Eva and Lana

Eva Marie, who has been out of the ring due to surgery, has been doing one-on-one training with Brain Kendrick to prepare for her return. As noted last week, WWE has ideas that Eva Marie and Lana can be big stars, and apparently Lana is a very good athlete. She’s been in a manager role from the start so nobody knows how good she can be in the ring, and I’m not sure in the ring is what they mean by big star for either, but obviously Eva will be reintroduced soon as a wrestler. Kendrick said that he’s teaching her all styles, focusing on matches with Super Crazy and Tajiri from ECW (Super Crazy is one of Kendrick’s favorites because he was able to make it in the U.S., Mexico and Japan, as did Tajiri for that matter), old ECW tapes and All Japan women tapes. One person familiar with her training told us that he is about to get people to respect her.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
although there has at least been talk of C.J. (Her real name is Catherine Jo Perry), with the idea C.J. makes people think hot blond because of the character Pamela Anderson played in “Baywatch.”
This company is ran by old people and always will be.

It's widely known that the Yes Movement is the driving force behind anything positive that's happened to the WWE, even in Daniel's absence.

I defer to the expert analysis of bean breath on this one, though.

I will wait for bean as well.

Wwe getting into,film and tv isn't bad. There needs to,be quality control. Its telling their,most profitable movie is the one with real actors in it. Stop producing movies with talent and reduce them to cameos.

I think its for other businessmen and sponsors.

In Vince's head nobody wants to sponsor some carny organization that produces wrestling but if he can talk like his company is a media empire that makes movies it probably makes him feel better when in a meeting with an actual executive from Harvard instead of a fake one.

Its why he will make a video like this with buzzwords. When in reality all he did was add more sex, blood, and cursing.

i remember first seeing this clip after i saw the episode of mad men where 'the cure for the common breakfast line' is used. So Mad Men probably got that from some 60's ad campaign, or later who knows, but the point is that it is funny that Vince uses this hack line in his grand creative announcement.

Fox318

i remember first seeing this clip after i saw the episode of mad men where 'the cure for the common breakfast line' is used. So Mad Men probably got that from some 60's ad campaign, or later who knows, but the point is that it is funny that Vince uses this hack line in his grand creative announcement.

When you look at the WWE the first truly real business risk they took that involved its core product was the network. Mania was a gamble but PPVs had existed before just not on a national level. And Vince used its postion and the money New York could bring in to out spend the territories and put them out of business leaving himself as the sole product available.

Its why he couldn't compete with WCW once somebody with enough financing and was being run by somebody like Bischoff who was doing new things. If WCW doesn't fire Stunning Steve Austin or give creative control to anyone else but Hogan they would probably be the sole company around today.

Its why Vince craves competition in his work environment. He was able to get ahead because few people were thinking big picture or trying to out and out kill other companies like he was.

The Harts being shitlords as usual. Bruce wrote this about Booker T's screw up on Monday:

“At least Booker T has publically apologized for his remarks about my brother Owen and at least WWE saw fit to edit his comments out of all RAW replays, however myself and other members of the Hart family were offended by Booker Ts ill chosen comments. As Owens brother Booker I found no humour and was deeply offended and disappointed by the remarks on RAW and don’t know why you be that insensitive and indescreet. Frankly Booker T you should be ashamed of yourself. By the way Neville is not half the worker Owen was. I rest my case”

Barrage

A lot of the things the WWE do are wrong. The free month for new subscribers isn't one of them.

It's a practice Netflix does TO THIS DAY. Does anyone think Netflix "doesn't have value"?

The Harts being shitlords as usual. Bruce wrote this about Booker T's screw up on Monday:

“At least Booker T has publically apologized for his remarks about my brother Owen and at least WWE saw fit to edit his comments out of all RAW replays, however myself and other members of the Hart family were offended by Booker Ts ill chosen comments. As Owens brother Booker I found no humour and was deeply offended and disappointed by the remarks on RAW and don’t know why you be that insensitive and indescreet. Frankly Booker T you should be ashamed of yourself. By the way Neville is not half the worker Owen was. I rest my case”

huh? What did Booker say that was so wrong? I just remember him saying Owen was a King of the Ring winner

"By the way Neville is not half the worker Owen was. I rest my case”

Perhaps someone should tell Bruce that throwing a cheap shot at a young, talented performer who had nothing to do with the incident and who probably has nothing but respect for Owen isn't the best way to appear magnanimous.

Sephzilla

huh? What did Booker say that was so wrong? I just remember him saying Owen was a King of the Ring winner

Something about Owen being a high flyer, which is an awkward thing to say given how he died. But Bruce is being a fuckloard, Booker pretty clearly didn't mean to make a joke about Owen's death IMO and he apologized for it pretty quickly after realizing it.

Fox318

Look at all the immersion

Seeing shit like this would make sense if the worked with Google instead of MLBAM for the network. They could get personalized ads that actually make sense on their network instead of having no ads or ads that don't make any sense for the target audience.

Vince will be in control for as long as he is alive but HHH is gonna have to look for another job if he thinks wall street is going to have him run this company.

Booker “Adrian Neville may be the first high-flying King Of The Ring”
JBL “Owen Hart was a high flyer but not like this”
Booker “Owen didn’t defy gravity [like Neville]”

Something about Owen being a high flyer, which is an awkward thing to say given how he died. But Bruce is being a fuckloard, Booker pretty clearly didn't mean to make a joke about Owen's death IMO and he apologized for it pretty quickly after realizing it.

wow, fuck anyone getting upset over that. Owen was a wrestler, or are we just supposed to forget that

Booker “Adrian Neville may be the first high-flying King Of The Ring”
JBL “Owen Hart was a high flyer but not like this”
Booker “Owen didn’t defy gravity [like Neville]”

only an idiot would think he's referring to his death there, I didn't think twice about it when he said that

Fox318

A lot of the things the WWE do are wrong. The free month for new subscribers isn't one of them.

It's a practice Netflix does TO THIS DAY. Does anyone think Netflix "doesn't have value"?

The advertising the network is the live PPV events. Netflix does high quality original content and spends money on getting top movies and TV shows.

A better comparison would be a sports league with its live events and older matches. While Blackout rules apply none of them give away a month and most of them have an off-season where fan excitement can rise to a peak again when the season begins.

WWE pretty much hasn't missed a week since 93.

Hasney

Still enjoying the Attitude Raws, but god, having to skip through Sep 21st 1998. Shane and Cornette on commentary is worse than Cole and King.

It's very likely he meant no malice whatsoever, but he was a complete imbecile and didn't think about what he was going to say out loud.
You're doing live commentary, on a live product, where your insane boss is shouting in your ear and demanding no dead air, I think we can forgive a slip up.

It's very likely he meant no malice whatsoever, but he was a complete imbecile and didn't think about what he was going to say out loud.

again, he said nothing wrong, just was putting over the current talent, you have to really be looking for malice to think they was referring to Owens death. Saying Owen couldn't defy gravity like Neville isn't being a complete imbecile, it's him putting over the talent

Top Bottom