• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/23 - 6/29

hirokazu

donny2112 said:
Here are the full Japanese names for the last two, which should make it easier to find the English translations.
外.タイメモ上 600 Outside. Notes on Thailand 600
タイトーメモリーズ2 上巻 (エターナル ヒッツ) 

外.タイメモ下 590 Outside. Thailand under 590 notes
タイトーメモリーズ2 下巻 (エターナル ヒッツ)

I'm very happy about there being so many "extra" data points with this week. :D
Taito Memories 2 Vol. 1 (Eternal Hits)
Taito Memories 2 Vol. 2 (Eternal Hits)

OgnodoD

Yeah, something isn't right with those Wii numbers. Wii should be third, not second, if those numbers are correct.

justchris

Captain Smoker said:
Here´s the translated Top30. :)

Wii Sports is finally over 3.000.000 :D

Also of interest, by Famitsu numbers, WiiFit is only 141k behind WiiPlay. Looks like in the long run, more Balance Boards will have been sold with software than Wiimotes. That's kinda impressive.

Kseutron

schuelma said:
Hardware:

PSP 58,861
Wii 48,480
DS Lite 48,884
PS3 17,973
PS2 7,673
Xbox 360 5,104

Significant Wii disparity between MC and Famitsu

So the DS Lite sold more unit than the Wii but is still in third position ?

Edit : damn too slow

nli10

Gaborn said:
Disparities like that happen, what's more surprising is the percentage difference for the 360 (even though their numbers are irrelevant statistical noise of that magnitude is very impressive)

Yup - they are both tracking smaller percentages of the market than either NPD or Chart Track and due to the direct competition feel they need to release more data to legitimise their own charts. I do wish one would buy out the other and combine forces to make something more accurate, but it's not going to happen.

Raggy

Banned
Would be nice if the OP contained links to the previous MC threads, that is 5 or so weeks back?

and I miss PantherLotus graphs.... :(

Do we have any month based statistics? e.g. how much the various consoles sold per month. Would be interesting to see.

Have for instance PS3 ever outsold Wii in a month?

Raggy said:
Would be nice if the OP contained links to the previous MC threads, that is 5 or so weeks back?

and I miss PantherLotus graphs.... :(

Do we have any month based statistics? e.g. how much the various consoles sold per month. Would be interesting to see.

Have for instance PS3 ever outsold Wii in a month?
Feel free to do it, I think CVX will gladly edit the OP.

I don't think PS3 has outsold Wii in a month, but you can check for yourself at Josh's site.

Vinnk said:
I've been seeing ads for it all week during primetime. Wii Fit too. And occasionally Mario Kart. Nice to see Nintendo continue to push their products after the initial hype.

Vinnk, if you have time to make report, can you check if ToS Wii is still selling good or used copies are coming in large amounts on stores (as it happened with MGS4) ?
Also, i noticed Dragonball Z Burst Limit (both PS3 and 360) has got a high price drop on Amazon, same happened on retail shops ?
I wonder if otaku guys have noticed Wario Land Shake...

Raggy

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Feel free to do it

Lemme see

I took the weekly numbers from Josh's site and mashed em up into 2 graphs.
Anyone need/want the actual numbers as well?

Keep in mind some months have 5 weeks of data, rest 4, and June-08 only got 3 weeks

Phife Dawg said:
I don't think PS3 has outsold Wii in a month, but you can check for yourself at Josh's site.
Unfortunately, Garaph doesn't have a function for monthly sales, only weekly, so you have to add them yourself. The answer is: in November 2007 the PS3 sold more than Wii. That's the only month it's done so in Japan.

Brofist

No offense to some of the people posting information or numbers here, but you shouldn't bother unless you can properly translate it, and post it correctly.

Koren

Phife Dawg said:
PS3 outsold Wii last november in Japan (after the price cut and the 40GB introduction), IIRC. It was the only time, though.

Thanks for correcting me. My memory has failed me. It was close though.

kpop100 said:
No offense to some of the people posting information or numbers here, but you shouldn't bother unless you can properly translate it, and post it correctly.
Huh, whom are you referring to?

Posting lists in Japanese actually makes sense because there are people who can read a bit of Japanese but don't have access to the lists. What's the big problem anyways?

donny2112 said:
I'll translate them formally with next week's Famitsu numbers, but ...
外.信長 7100 Outside. Nobunaga 7100
Some Nobunaga game from Koei. You should be able to find it on GameFAQs.
外.KH2FM+ 2900 Outside. KH2FM + 2900
Probably some BEST/ULTIMATE/LEGENDARY re-release of Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix +.
外.DQFFいたスト 2000 Outside. DQFF 2000 strike.
Re-release of Itagaki Street featuring Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.
外.金卵 1400 Outside. Kim eggs 1400
The World of Golden Eggs: Nori Nori Rhythm Kei for the Wii.
外.FF12 1100 Outside. FF12 1100
See KH2FM+ explanation.
外.KH2 610 Outside. KH2 610
See KH2FM+ explanation.
Here are the full Japanese names for the last two, which should make it easier to find the English translations.
外.タイメモ上 600 Outside. Notes on Thailand 600
タイトーメモリーズ2 上巻 (エターナル ヒッツ) 
外.タイメモ下 590 Outside. Thailand under 590 notes
タイトーメモリーズ2 下巻 (エターナル ヒッツ)
I'm very happy about there being so many "extra" data points with this week. :D
Thank you, I´ve translated all game titles now, here´s all data:

1. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Wii) 151.000 [151.000]
2. Derby Stallion DS (NDS) 147.000 [147.000]
3. Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (NDS) 122.000 [122.000]
4. Hisshou Pachinko Pachislot Series Vol. 12: CR Neon Genesis Evangelion ~Shito Hutatabi~ (PS2) 50.000 [50.000]
5. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kizuna Vol. 1: Tatari (NDS) 43.000 [43.000]
6. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots (PS3) 33.000 [576.000]
7. Wii Fit (Wii) 31.000 [2.261.000]
8. Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono (PSP) 31.000 [31.000]
9. Gundam Operation troy (360) 30.000 [30.000]
10. Super Mario Stadium (Wii) 28.000 [86.000]

11. Sengoku Basara X (PS2) 27.000 [27.000]
12. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) 24.000 [1.527.000]
14. Super Robot Wars A Portable (PSP) 21.000 [115.000]
15. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) 18.000 [2.301.000]
16. The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (PS2) 17.000 [17.000]
17. Battle Field: Bad Company (360) 15.000 [15.000]
18. Disgaea: the Prince of Dark world and Red Moon (NDS) 15.000 [15.000]
19. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 (PSP) 13.000 [200.000]
20. Beautiful Letter Training DS (NDS) 13.000 [304.000]
21. Wii Sports (Wii) 12.000 [3.010.000]
22. Spice and Wolf (NDS) 11.000 [11.000]
23. Our TV Game Exam (NDS) 10.000 [10.000]
24. Meccha Taiko Drum Master DS: Adventure in Seven Islands (NDS) 9.100 [218.000]
25. Wii Play (Wii) 8.900 [2.402.000]
26. World Never Land 2 in 1 Portable (PSP) 8.600 [8.600]
27. Mario Kart DS (NDS) 8.600 [3.112.000]
28. DS Yamamura Misa Suspense (NDS) 7.900 [69.000]
29. Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4 (PS2) 7.900 [66.000]
30. ARIA the Origination (PS2) 7.200 [7.200]

xx. The Tower DS (NDS) 7.200
xx. Kunitori Zunou Battle: Nobunaga no Yabou (NDS) 7.100
xx. Dementium: The Ward (NDS) 5.000
xx. Hakoniwa Seikatsu: Hitsuji Mura DS (NDS) 5.000
xx. Winning Post 6 (PSP) 4.200
xx. Disney Friends (NDS) 3.200
xx. Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix + (Ultimate Hits) (PS2) 2.900
xx. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (PS3) 2.700
xx. Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special (Ultimate Hits) (PS2) 2.000
xx. Shinkyouku Soukai Polyphonica 0-4 Hanashi Full Pack (PSP) 2.000
xx. The Darkness (PS3) 1.900
xx. The World of Golden Eggs: Nori Nori Rhythm Kei (Wii) 1.400
xx. Final Fantasy XII (Ultimate Hits) (PS2) 1.100
xx. Sunsoft Collection (PSP) 1.100
xx. Jigsaw World: Daigekitou! Jig-Battle Heroes (NDS) 750
xx. Kingdom Hearts II (Ultimate Hits) (PS2) 610
xx. Taito Memories 2 Vol. 1 (Eternal Hits) (PS2) 600
xx. Taito Memories 2 Vol. 2 (Eternal Hits) (PS2) 590

ivysaur12

Banned
Is that Disgaea DS down at the bottom of the lists?

Wow, it bombed. That's what you get for releasing the an old game on 3 different platforms at different times.

Jonnyram

Some first day figures:
Initial D Extreme 27k
Ratchet & Clank PS2 3000 (and new colour PS2 went on sale today too) <10%
Nanashi no Game 17k ~40%

Koren

Triple platinum for Wii Sports this week ? Nice achievement... I wonder if it can crawl till 4 millions.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Koren said:
Triple platinum for Wii Sports this week ? Nice achievement... I wonder if it can crawl till 4 millions.

crawl? It's still at almost a 50% attach rate and hasn't been out of the top 30 since...has it ever?

Wii Sports is going to keep selling for another 3-4 years in Japan. Who knows how high it can go?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Koren said:
PS3 outsold Wii last november in Japan (after the price cut and the 40GB introduction), IIRC. It was the only time, though.
Wasn't that just a cheap PR trick Sony tried to pull? The numbers didn't include the last week of November or something, which put Nintendo back up.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
schuelma said:
crawl? It's still at almost a 50% attach rate and hasn't been out of the top 30 since...has it ever?

Wii Sports is going keep selling for another 3-4 years in Japan. Who knows how high it can go?

Like it or not, Wii Sport seems to be the only killer app of then generation so far.

Koren

schuelma said:

Wii Sports is going to keep selling for another 3-4 years in Japan. Who knows how high it can go?
True... But at current rate, Wii sports will need nearly two years for the fourth million, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo releasing something else inbetween... (a Wii Sports 2 or something like this)

XiaNaphryz said:
Wasn't that just a cheap PR trick Sony tried to pull? The numbers didn't include the last week of November or something, which put Nintendo back up.
I wasn't aware of this... I'm not sure that it's so much important neither to be first or second if the race is close. I guess last november was the date where PS3 was the closest to Wii thanks to the price cut and 40GB. Or will it be this month, with MGS4 ?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Koren said:
True... But at current rate, Wii sports will need nearly two years for the fourth million, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo releasing something else inbetween... (a Wii Sports 2 or something like this)

Yeah, but Wii Sports numbers go up whenever there is a hardware spike as well- it will make up some ground during the holiday seasons.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Pureauthor said:
5000 for an obscure horror FPS? Is that supposed to be good, bad, or enh?

Obscure Western horror FPS = Enh

Low(ish) budget dev team = Good

Most popular gaming platform in Japan's history = Enh

Overall I'd say it's just above average on the Meh-O-Meter.

donny2112

kpop100 said:

Are you using a non-IE browser? I've seen people complain about the format before, when the real problem was that their browser was messing up the format. In case you don't know the backstory here...

1. The June 23-29 Famitsu data was not posted in last week's thread, since the full set was delayed.
2. schuelma asked in this week's thread if the full set was ever posted.

As the full set had been posted (at a later time), but I wasn't planning on translating any of it except the "outside Top 30" games (and that sometime later), I had two choices: 1) ignore schuelma's post, 2) post the Japanese versions. I chose 2).

Captain Smoker is great at doing the weekly Famitsu translations when they normally come out, so I was hopeful that, when he saw these, he could do the service here, too (Thanks, Captain Smoker! :) ). Even if he didn't, the numbers would, at least, still be available for anyone who desired to do the translation on the couple of games they were interested in.

Hopefully that clears things up, a bit. :)

test_account

XP-39C²
XiaNaphryz said:
I dont know the exact press release was around this, but it seems that they only counted it to 25th November indeed. However, the PS3 outsold the Wii 3 weeks in a row somewhere around in November 2007. If you count the next week as well (this week the Wii outsold the PS3) so you get about 1 month (4 weeks (this is however only 28 days, all months except February (except in leap years) are longer than 4 weeks if you only go by number of days) the PS3 sold more consoles than the Wii. I guess that is what they were reffering to. This is according to the Famitsu numbers, the Media Create numbers got Wii higher than the PS3.

Vinci

Danish
Vilix said:
Like it or not, Wii Sport seems to be the only killer app of then generation so far.

I think Wii Fit would qualify as well, honestly. I think it's selling systems. Not on the same level of course, but I think it's having an impact.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Vinci said:
I think Wii Fit would qualify as well, honestly. I think it's selling systems. Not on the same level of course, but I think it's having an impact.

You know, it's funny. Some of the ladies at my office got Wii Fit thinking it was a system unto itself. Then they found out they needed to have the Wii in order to play it. They were very disappointed. Not disappointed that they need to buy another piece of hardware. But because the Wii is all but impossible to find, and they it took them weeks just to track down an avaliable Wii Fit in the first place.

Gaborn

Vilix said:
You know, it's funny. Some of the ladies at my office got Wii Fit thinking it was a system unto itself. Then they found out they needed to have the Wii in order to play it. They were very disappointed. Not disappointed that they need to buy another piece of hardware. But because the Wii is all but impossible to find, and they it took them weeks just to track down an avaliable Wii Fit in the first place.

*insert "They should've just walked right in on launch day" joke*

donny2112

Captain Smoker said:

Yes. They've recently made a change to their policy where they change random numbers to prevent copying of their data, but they do get their original data from legitimate sources.

Captain Smoker said:
Seems like they´ve some "insider data",

They get the system specific Famitsus that give their own Top 10s/random updates. They might have access to other sources of Famitsu data, too.

donny2112 said:
Yes. They've recently made a change to their policy where they change random numbers to prevent copying of their data, but they do get their original data from legitimate sources.

They get the system specific Famitsus that give their own Top 10s/random updates. They might have access to other sources of Famitsu data, too.
Cool, thx for the answer. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
Nice going, Japan. Keep working to ensure that SE will never release another original IP in their existence.

Well to be fair it is 40% sellthrough day one which isn't poor... and it's not like 40k is exactly a confident first shipment.

Stumpokapow said:
Well to be fair it is 40% sellthrough day one which isn't poor... and it's not like 40k is exactly a confident first shipment.

I recall someone before outlining that usually a 60% sellthrough during day one is required for a game to be considered successful to expectations. I think it was ducky.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
I recall someone before outlining that usually a 60% sellthrough during day one is required for a game to be considered successful to expectations. I think it was ducky.

Well a good rule of thumb is that the first shipment should completely turnover within 1-1.5 weeks (IE turnover should be near-complete so that a second shipment goes through). New IPs and smaller games tend to be both less front-loaded, so I wouldn't imagine that this is seen as a massive disappointment.

Mind you, I'm not saying the total opposite... this isn't a smash hit; small first shipment and average first-day sellthrough isn't exactly screaming success.

Linkup

ivysaur12 said:
Is that Disgaea DS down at the bottom of the lists?

Wow, it bombed. That's what you get for releasing the an old game on 3 different platforms at different times.

15k was probably to much for that game. It seemed broken from what people where describing.

Top Bottom