• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil 6 Info: Splitscreen, Co-Op/Online Info, Run/Fire, Demo, Ash/Sherry?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Haha. I absolutely love it when a developer fucks with an already nonsensical timeline. Watching the fans self destruct is such a guilty pleasure.

Beth Cyra

Am I the only one who doesnt like co-op in Resident Evil?

It's more tense and scary if your alone.

Clearly you aren't given how many people have said they hate it.

I haven't liked it so far, but that is because I hated Ashley and Sheva. Chris and Leon would have been much more enjoyable to me without them.

That said I'm more then willing to give these new characters a shot.

Then again I've never found any Resident Evil aside from REmake to be that great when it comes atmosphere or fear.

Tiktaalik

6 player coop. whoa. 8 player online? Sounds like there's a significant online side to this game. Perhaps that's why this is "the biggest Biohazard yet."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gears of War 3 has 1-2 listed as well, but you still have AI partners: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5308ab?nosplash=1

RAGE. CAPCOM Y U NO GET BIOHAZARD IS A SINGLEPLAYER MAIN ENTRY FRANCHISE!?

Leon looks boss, imo. Nothing wrong with his model.

Compare Leon Bio2(1998)->Bio4(2005)->Bio6(2008). Unless the Las Plaugas parasite gave him an old Snake age-ifcation he's too damn old and jarring from his Bio4 model. Same with Ashley. Ashley was like a teen. Now she's a 30 year old woman. :/

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I still don't understand why Capcom forces the partner to be on the right side, lol

Teknoman

6 player coop. whoa. 8 player online? Sounds like there's a significant online side to this game. Perhaps that's why this is "the biggest Biohazard yet."

Could just be some sort of large raid mode like Revelations? Or implementing versus mode like in RE5, except right from the start and not a DLC add on.

Co-op is great as long as the atmosphere is still there. Played Lost in Nightmares and base RE5 with two different gaffers online, two totally different experiences. Base RE 5 was "omg tension go go RUN!" and Lost in Nightmares was " What was that noise" / hearing things/seeing things that weren't actually there due to all the atmospheric effects (lightning, random creaking noises, certain camera angles, tight corridors/halls, etc).

kuYuri

I didn't think about it much until now, but RE6 is sounding alot like Operation Raccoon City, which is already a third-person action shooter with cover system. ORC has a full squad of AI with you, while RE6 will probably only be 2-player for the campaign. Still, there's some crossover that seems to be happening.

Beth Cyra

Leon looks fucking awesome.

This is were I'm coming from.

I'm more curious about Chris, he looks to have been shrinked from his RE5 self, more like a middle ground between RE5 and Remake style Chris.

Then again it could just be his combat gear making me think that.

benzy

Considering IGN was wrong about Sherry being the blondie, I guess we can dismiss their comment about Ada being in the game and being playable?

Rinoa

He's over thirty, been through several run ins with super weapons and worked with the President.

Gunna take an effect on a man.

I know I know, but wasn't he 27 in RE4? I read he's 32 in RE6 according to certain sources but his face he looks very defined for just 6 years later. It's like someone injected Sawyer from LOST in.

Boney

Banned
At last check, I think Capcom said they were about 600-700 developers.

So, 150 per each of those two projects gets us to 300, then I'm assuming the engine and internal QA team are counted differently, so probably around another 100-150 there.

Then across a couple of smaller projects and Monster Hunter I can see why they say they're resource constrained.

Do you have any ballpark on similar dev houses?

Like Konami, Bamco and Nintendo for comparison's sake?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Considering IGN was wrong about Sherry being the blondie, I guess we can dismiss their comment about Ada being in the game and being playable?

Ada was also mentioned on a separate VentureBeat rumor that went up prior to IGN's story.

Capcom implied they were bigger in the interview, but I'll have to do some digging to get a good count.

Give me a bit, I'll see what I can come up with.

Grisby

Leon looks boss, imo. Nothing wrong with his model.
He reminds me too much of that dude from Alone in the Dark. Not that I really care for Leon anyways so I guess its cool.

I'm interested to see what they do with the co-op and how large the combat areas will be.

Cover system is weird. Hope they don't shoehorn random things to cover behind. That always bugs me in games with cover mechanics.

Aye mang, when dat new infection starts hitting terrorists, there's only one team to call.

"BOULDER PUNCHIN'" CHRIS
"LADIES LOVE HIM" LEON
NEW GUY
POSSIBLY ASHLEY
SOME OTHER PEOPLE

TEAM BIOHAZARD, AND THEY'RE ALL OUTTA GUM

I'm interested to see what they do with the co-op and how large the combat areas will be.

What? I hope it's 2 player coop for campaign, and 6 player coop for a horde mode, or the like. Then again it says 2-8 players online. Does that only mean VS?

lol CHRIST, what has resident evil become that we are discussing these things.

Aye mang, when dat new infection starts hitting terrorists, there's only one team to call.

"BOULDER PUNCHIN'" CHRIS
"LADIES LOVE HIM" LEON
NEW GUY
POSSIBLY ASHLEY
SOME OTHER PEOPLE

TEAM BIOHAZARD, AND THEY'RE ALL OUTTA GUM
lol good god, I don't even know what to say about this game anymore.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Being able to move and shoot is nice not to mention a long time coming, but I feel bad for those members of CapGAF who told me such a modern control scheme would ruin the tension of enemy encounters; they must not be looking forward to RE6 in the slightest! ;)

Boney

Banned
Being able to move and shoot is nice not to mention a long time coming, but I feel bad for those members of CapGAF who told me such a modern control scheme would ruin the tension of enemy encounters; they must not be looking forward to RE6 in the slightest! ;)
Pretty sure people that say this mean RE4 and RE5 to a lesser extent.

Moving and shooting is gonna be nice if you gotta shoot some AK wielding terrorists.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Okay after some digging I found half of what I was looking for:

Cheesemeister said:
=== A Capcom-style game can be made by assigning 10 people: the myth of internal production is crumbling ===

4G: As this talk has gotten a bit pessimistic, I'd like to ask you more about foreign development. You mentioned it a bit earlier, but judging by your blog posts and the like, it seems like it's a topic that is easier to understand.

KI: Where should I start... At Capcom, there are currently 700 developers who handle 3 or 4 titles.

4G: ...What?

KI: It's exactly as I said.

4G: What is everyone else doing?

KI: There is nobody else. All 700 of them are handling 3 or 4 titles.

4G: Well, hold on a minute. If there are 4 titles, that'd be about 180 people per title. So accounting for error, there are maybe about 150 people on each title? The cost of labor for the duration of a project would have to be something like 2 billion yen ($25 million).

KI: Right, it's not enough. That's why the myth of internal production is crumbling.

Having 700 developers working on 4 titles leaves everyone saying they're always busy. Since 150 people work on each title, a month's cost of labor generally costs between 150 million ($1.9 million) and 200 million yen ($2.5 million).

4G: So 3 months' labor would cost 600 million yen ($7.5 million). Ten months would come to 2 billion yen ($25 million). If a project took 3 years... It'd be at least 6 billion yen ($75 million).

KI: Right. Well, it's not like 150 people are all suddenly put on a project, but it's common for a project to cost 3 or 4 billion yen ($37.5-50 million).

4G: So as one would expect, if that one shot fails, it's really bad.

KI: Yeah. There could be a loss of 1 billion yen ($12.5 million). There's nothing you can do to make up for that. It's internal supremacy.

4G: What was the most recent internally-produced hit?

KI: That'd be Biohazard 5, two years ago. That also took 150 people. This year, it's mostly external. Street Fighter IV was external. Monster Hunter Diary: Poka-Poka Island Village, which sold half a million, was external. Dead Rising is also external.

Lost Planet 2 was made internally, but readers of 4Gamer know how that turned out. At the end of the year, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd will be released, having been developed internally. It'll definitely be a hit. After that, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is also external.

Basically, there are no internally-developed titles outside of Monster Hunter that can be qualified as hits. There are no internally-developed hits besides Monster Hunter and Biohazard. If you were to ask if those two titles can support the several thousand people at Capcom, the answer would be no. That's why we had to make them.

4G: As you said before -- and it's not limited to Capcom -- there's risk in developing several 2 or 3 billion yen projects.

KI: Right. It can be futile. It can be really futile.

So that's why I -- speaking very broadly -- say that it's not good for a publisher to employ such a number of people in order to maintain this structure. Not speaking in terms of the aforementioned numbers, it would be practical to reduce the staff by half, in turn relying on external developers.

When I made Dead Rising, there were only 5 people from Capcom assigned to it. Adding in a producer and an assistant, that got to be about maybe 7 people? Even then, we didn't have to assign as many as 10 people to it. By just assigning less than 10 internal staff, we could make a title for the global market.

4G: So what you're saying is that you can create a Capcom-style game by assigning 10 people to it.

KI: That's exactly right. For example, I was just working on 6 different titles, and among those, there were only 15 people from Capcom assigned to them. Several of those people are taking part in several projects, so each title has about 5 Capcom staffers involved. This is entirely possible.

4G: So by that reasoning, 50 people can make 10 titles.

KI: They can, even if only in theory. I can't leave one big thing out, though. If this isn't done more, getting back to our earlier discussion, Capcom as a company won't survive.

Internal development is important. I'm not saying that it's not needed. In terms of quality control and the staff's motivation, there should be internal development. Capcom itself as of late consists of Monster Hunter and Biohazard. These two series are very important brands. These two series should only be developed internally.

Taking that into account, if each series takes 150 people each, it'd require 300 people to develop one of each at the same time. Other than that... Right, it'd be external development, so of course there'd need to be some supervision in place. So there would need to be about 100 supervisors. With a hundred supervisors, you could produce 20 titles, all with 400 people.

4G: Right now there are 700 developers.

KI: Yes. Even though I was in the upper level, I'm not one who relishes restructuring. It's necessary for the company's survival. It's a difference of 300 peoples' salaries.

I've said it many times, but unlike Konami, Capcom is a company that only makes games. All it does is make games. That's why it needs to do well by any means necessary. That much should be obvious.

4G: So basically, one way of doing that is to work with western developers, as you've indicated.

KI: Right. What I did in order to succeed was show that Capcom games can be made externally. I disproved the long-held belief that externally-developed games can't be Capcom games. First with Dead Rising, then with Street Fighter IV. More titles need to be developed that way. This will result in good things for both the company and the players.

Cheesemeister said:
4G: As you said before, if a product has demand overseas, it has a great value.

KI: Yeah. That's exactly my specialty. For example, Street Fighter IV sold 200 thousand copies in Japan and 2.3 million overseas. Biohazard 5 sold 600 thousand copies in Japan and 5 million overseas.

4G: The more you look at the numbers, you would think that everybody would want to go after the western markets.

Now to see if I can find that bar chart with staff counts.

Gomu Gomu

I'm not gonna live in denial telling myself that the RE I once adored is coming back. Maybe with RElevation, but I'm putting a pinpoint on that for the time being. Also, it's a handheld game, and not a AAA, high production values console game.

Unlike many people in RE threads, I have come to peace with the new direction for the series. I didn't mind RE5 at all. I thought it was a good game. Granted, not the RE game I want, but a great game nonetheless. Same thing with this one. I want it to be a good game. Having the RE name on it or not, I want a good game in the end. Be it action or not.

def sim

They can still play with one hand to artificially limit themselves and create tension!

Grisby

I'm not necessarily saying I want 6 people running around but if there going to put that many people on screen it stands to reason the areas would be larger. I'm just curious as to what it'll look like. You know, like from a level design POV.

The RE that I grew up on is long gone, this is what it has become.

Cerberus

Moving and shooting is going to be interesting for Mercenaries. Having to stand still to shoot in RE5 mercs was intense at some points, especially when a boss spawned onto the map. Damn reapers and chainsaw dudes.

And if 6 player co-op is 6 player Mercs, that sounds awesome. Definitely need to increase the enemy count on the map though.

Teknoman

I'm not necessarily saying I want 6 people running around but if there going to put that many people on screen it stands to reason the areas would be larger. I'm just curious as to what it'll look like. You know, like from a level design POV.

How many players is RE5 versus mode? Also if you want another taste of classicish RE style, you should really pick up a 3DS and Revelations. Its great, and the 3DS itself actually has some really nice surround sound.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Moving and shooting is going to be interesting for Mercenaries. Having to stand still to shoot in RE5 mercs was intense at some points, especially when a boss spawned onto the map. Damn reapers and chainsaw dudes.

And if 6 player co-op is 6 player Mercs, that sounds awesome. Definitely need to increase the enemy count on the map though.

Lower initial time and time pickups, as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pretty sure people that say this mean RE4 and RE5 to a lesser extent.

Moving and shooting is gonna be nice if you gotta shoot some AK wielding terrorists.

In such cases, that's just stating the obvious as the games are built around the fact you're unable to move and shoot. However, the notion that future Resident Evil titles would suffer for uprooting its most stale element has always struck me as nonsensical.

They can still play with one hand to artificially limit themselves and create tension!

Perfect!

Grisby

How many players is RE5 versus mode? Also if you want another taste of classicish RE style, you should really pick up a 3DS and Revelations. Its great, and the 3DS itself actually has some really nice surround sound.
I'm set to go man. Just waiting till Feb 7th. *High-five* It's what I bought the 3DS for.

I think it was 6? I dunno I never touched it except once and that was a long time ago.

comment was really directed towards you, just the craziness that this stuff is even being mentioned

Top Bottom