• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 17 EASHL (PS4) | DISALLOWED GOAL SCORERS

Stat!

Honestly dude, you are doing me a disservice posting only that part of the clip that has my shit talking taken completely out of context.

I guess you had the game on mute before you decided to upload that...

I have to admit your voice is hilarious. I dont even know why it has that voice there.

Want me to take it down?

I have to admit your voice is hilarious. I dont even know why it has that voice there.

Want me to take it down?

If you wouldnt mind.

For anyone interested in the context, the club we played was called Mexican Mafia. We played them twice in a row and they resorted to some cheese tactics so both victories we got were sweet, especially the 2nd which we won in OT on Stat's weird goal. One of their players who was most annoying to me had a vulgar name like "HowMah DickTasteNow" so that what was what my comment was about.

Stat!

If you wouldnt mind.

For anyone interested in the context, the club we played was called Mexican Mafia. We played them twice in a row and they resorted to some cheese tactics so both victories we got were sweet, especially the 2nd which we won in OT on Stat's weird goal. One of their players who was most annoying to me had a vulgar name like "HowMah DickTasteNow" so that what was what my comment was about.

I changed the music so we dont hear your voice.

I changed the music so we dont hear your voice.

4764282-3774272019-pnznk.jpg

Go for it... insurances will give me better shit! ;)

If you are still getting on tonight, what are we playing?

1- NHL w me and possibly Mercy & others
OR
2- Ghost Recon w me myself and I

Keep in mind that Mercy said he hates your guts when I spoke to him last... Choose wisely

Thats why we dont bother playing the playoffs. such a waste of time

We should remember to play the playoffs again in the future...

ggs last night, everyone played their roles well and we got rewarded in the end. Did we ever trail in any of those playoff games? I dont think so...

The real reasons we won were Delryk's player's new piss visor and my reverse jinx predicting we would lose before each game

Stat!

ggs last night, everyone played their roles well and we got rewarded in the end. Did we ever trail in any of those playoff games? I dont think so...

The real reasons we won were Delryk's player's new piss visor and my reverse jinx predicting we would lose before each game

We didn't ever trail. We got up early in pretty much all of our games. Most of the time we lose its either we didn't get a bounce or we just played like trash. Its very rare/never when we lose that I am like "Yep, we are far worse than them"

Shouldn't be that surprised. We basically got to Division 1 right off the bat and other than once, maybe twice, we've never been below div 1.

Delryk

Well y'know.. Matthews is clutch like that.

Games tonite?

MattDoza

New digs? Going with GAF colors, eh? I can dig it.

Been working at the defender position. Feel like it's a little better while I get more comfortable​ with the game of hockey. Still quite a few harmful holes in my game when trying to create offensively.

Been working at the defender position. Feel like it's a little better while I get more comfortable​ with the game of hockey. Still quite a few harmful holes in my game when trying to create offensively.

Yeah i changed the jerseys up again, we havent rocked the GAF colors yet so...

Defenseman is pretty tough b/c one bad mistake usually results in a goal being scored on us, but we can def work you in at d-man alongside me or someone else and get you experience playing against good competition.

Delryk

You should learn from Swim actually.. playing Defense... while of a more "stay-at-home" and taking the body hard on the opponent is a really good way to learn the timing in EASHL games...

Once you're used to that, you can start to venture out a bit more on D. Again, timing is everything, you have to be able to read the opponent and always be first to turn around.

Then, once that's successful, playing offense as a 2-way type player to start off is another good way. Defense first, and great 2nd pass to the rushing attacker. Even being "3rd man" in the offensive zone is a great way to find your offensive side (and I personally think there isn't enough of this at times because all 3 forwards usually rush and crash the net)

heck.. I played my first 3-4 EAHL seasons strictly as a defensive juggernaut back in 2005-2007 or some shit.. lol I was pretty much Swim for my old team with 95% accury in hail mary passes which you can't really do anymore.. lol

Stat!

Watched Vis's videos today. I totally didn't even realize how quick it was that Delryk scored his 2 goals. It was 5 seconds apart.

You should learn from Swim actually.. playing Defense... while of a more "stay-at-home" and taking the body hard on the opponent is a really good way to learn the timing in EASHL games...

Once you're used to that, you can start to venture out a bit more on D. Again, timing is everything, you have to be able to read the opponent and always be first to turn around.

Then, once that's successful, playing offense as a 2-way type player to start off is another good way. Defense first, and great 2nd pass to the rushing attacker. Even being "3rd man" in the offensive zone is a great way to find your offensive side (and I personally think there isn't enough of this at times because all 3 forwards usually rush and crash the net)

heck.. I played my first 3-4 EAHL seasons strictly as a defensive juggernaut back in 2005-2007 or some shit.. lol I was pretty much Swim for my old team with 95% accury in hail mary passes which you can't really do anymore.. lol

Totally agree about timing. Most of the game is about understanding how much time you have. On defense, its buying time until you have more support to help (or enough support to go for that poke check). On offense, its understanding how much time you have to make a move, pass the puck, etc.

But, I sort of think D is about using the poke check rather than hitting but I may be alone in that.

Delryk

Totally agree about timing. Most of the game is about understanding how much time you have. On defense, its buying time until you have more support to help (or enough support to go for that poke check). On offense, its understanding how much time you have to make a move, pass the puck, etc.

But, I sort of think D is about using the poke check rather than hitting but I may be alone in that.

Mastering the poke check is an advantage on rushes.. then it's understanding the angles and blocking them out and not leaving the player stick handling on his good side..

When the opponent is entering the zone slowly, going for the body (with a good checking class) is definately the way to go! Once the player is down in the corners, it's easier to take the body than poking the puck out because most players will start doing spins and figure skating and thats where you can easily get a tripping call :)

Stat!

Mastering the poke check is an advantage on rushes.. then it's understanding the angles and blocking them out and not leaving the player stick handling on his good side..

When the opponent is entering the zone slowly, going for the body (with a good checking class) is definately the way to go! Once the player is down in the corners, it's easier to take the body than poking the puck out because most players will start doing spins and figure skating and thats where you can easily get a tripping call :)

Oh absolutely. Never spam poke check. I kinda just like leaving them in the corners because there's nothing they can do besides throwing the puck out. But if you can get a hit, go for it.

Please Mr. Expert share your tips and tricks of being a defenseman.

I retired as a defenseman this year after 1 game, one hat trick.

Im not sharing any tips because Matt didnt actually ask for any. You guys just went off on a tangent for some reason. Maybe a lurker will find it informative...

It would be nice to see some of these great tips in action one day by you two so I dont have to play d-man all the time.

Stat!

Im not sharing any tips because Matt didnt actually ask for any. You guys just went off on a tangent for some reason. Maybe a lurker will find it informative...

It would be nice to see some of these great tips in action one day by you two so I dont have to play d-man all the time.

Some of us were just trying to be a part of a conversation :(

You're just so good at D. I was wondering what you would suggest.

MattDoza

That's kind of why I thought it was a good idea. You seem way better, offensively, than I am and when it's group of three, sometimes even 4, it seems like I can really bog down our offense when I struggle against good teams.

I welcome the tips, btw. Anything that helps me out. Even appreciate the criticisms when I'm stinking it up, mid-game.

Delryk

Some of us were just trying to be a part of a conversation :(

You're just so good at D. I was wondering what you would suggest.

He's suggesting using offensive D and playing like Bobby Orr.. you know, start from behind yer own net and deke everybody to score.. unfortunately that only works once a year :p

seriously though, Vis you're the best D around so you might have good tips for Matt.. I was just trying to simplify it with the way Swim plays.. when he's not hunting heads, he plays a very good stay at home guy and I think that's the best way to start playing D

13thStep

Just to throw it out there I'm willing to play D as well. Obviously I'm not as good as Vis, but I have held my own at that position on my old team at lower divisions.

I was just fucking with you Stat & Delryk to get a reaction and it worked. I am satisfied with your snarky responses and want to assure you that your conversation is appreciated :)

I get to play Center in our secret games every once in awhile so Im fine playing D at all other times. Matt, your thinking is logical about wanting to try D so maybe someone else can play forward but you also need to realize that its not an easy position to play and you can do a lot more harm when you have a bad game as a defenseman than as a winger. It can be a frustrating experience especially if the offense doesnt get you involved enough.

The nice thing is that with the different builds you can play a variety of different styles of defensemen that can all be effective if you get the important basics down. Swim and I play very different styles but often can shutdown the opposing team in our own ways. So dont feel pressured to play a certain way, find what works for you. Ive noticed your open ice defensive instincts and positioning when playing forward are pretty good so it might be a nice fit for you.

Obviously we all have our preferred positions but we have always been open to switching things up so if u wanna give d-man a shot, go for it, as long as you have fun doing it for the most part.

Top Bottom