• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norm Macdonald Live (youtube, podcast) Season 2 |OT| Norm returns Monday May 12th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOTE TO SELF DO NOT CLOSE WINDOW lol.

It's effin hilarious though. So you have that to look forward to. Pretty weird!

Todd Glass seems kind of clueless but the interview is almost all Norm trolling him so it works. Also it's a 2 parter, gotta wait till next week to see the rest. Even though Todd Glass isn't that funny IRL to me Norm is making this hilarious.

I tried listening to the Todd Glass show where he had Norm on and it had a painfully long and unfunny intro followed by Norm having all of his answers stepped on.

I'm just finding out about this show and catching up, and it's hilarious.

Man, Russel Brand can talk about anything. He really makes me feel guilty for not being a reader. I drive a lot for work -- I should really look into some history books on tape or something.

I haven't seen the new ep yet but to everyone who enjoyed it, you might want to check out the Todd Glass + Sarah Silverman episode of Getting Doug with High.

If you think watching a funny comic fuck with Todd Glass is entertaining, wait til you watch two funny comics fuck with stoned Todd Glass.

Pyro I know what you mean but I still think you might dig it for the reason I added in the edit above.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Only Norm Macdonald can make me laugh with Holocaust jokes.

Everything in part 2 went over Todd Glass's head.
Yeah he was kind of annoying in that respect to be honest.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Glass was a really good straight man, honestly. His reactions *made* it.

I have no idea how Glass didn't get the "that guy's a real jerk" joke. Even after Norm said the guy held a press conference and said he "made an error in judgment" after eating someone while they were still alive, Glass still didn't seem to get it.

demon

I have no idea how Glass didn't get the "that guy's a real jerk" joke. Even after Norm said the guy held a press conference and said he "made an error in judgment" after eating someone while they were still alive, Glass still didn't seem to get it.

He was clueless. Don't know if it was just because he was high or what, but he totally ruined the flow of the second episode IMO.

Norm painting Adam as a holocaust denier was hilarious though. I recommend watching the episodes by the way, that's how I've done the past 3 or 4 and it's worth it.

Tom_Cody

I have a bunch of Norm stuff bookmarked and decided to work my way through some of it last night.

Here's his interview on the Tom Green podcast from a few years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08GSxY8c9eA

They start to talk about the Bud Dwyer's suicide towards the end and it gets surprisingly dark. Very interesting and funny overall, though Norm seems pretty slow, like he's altered in some way. Here is the poem he performs at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdNsXFnH4KU

I also watched the Back to Norm pilot, his aborted sketch show from 2005:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0fRDyqD3Ow

Extremely funny and extremely Norm. I'm kind of amazed that it even made it to the pilot stage. Exactly the sort of content you would expect from a Norm Macdonald sketch show. I was a bit weird watching it after the Tom Green podcast episode though, since the first two sketches are related to suicide.

demon

New episode is Bob Saget?

Holy shit, know what I'm watching tonight

Loved that the punchline to one of the jokes was retard island, especially after Norm acted like he would never use the "r word" to Glass.

:lol that ending

the thing norm kept doing with his glasses and his face killed me. And of course Todd doesn't get why it's simply funny.

vIFygrh.gif

Kinyou

Yes, this.

I was laughing out loud for most of it, but I also got really annoyed at Glass. He was either lecturing Norm about joke rules or stepping on his punchlines.

The first part was actually really funny but the second part just fell apart.
Yeah, the lecture about why this or that joke is funny was pretty dumb. That he really didn't seem to get if Adam is a holocaust denier or not was hilarious though.

That was an intense episode. Curious as to what went down before they started filming. I'm guessing that guy from those big movies with the big words didn't want to bring up his SNL days at all.

Tom_Cody

Another great guest. Norm's show has been very successfully at bringing elements out of guests that you wouldn't see otherwise. I have seen Koechner in tons of stuff and heard many podcasts with him and yet I feel we got a different side of him here. I really liked hearing him talk about Del Close and the underpinnings of his improv.

That was an intense episode. Curious as to what went down before they started filming. I'm guessing that guy from those big movies with the big words didn't want to bring up his SNL days at all.
I got hung up on this as well.

Norm didn't seem too different from his usual self but Koechner seemed really unbalanced (for a lack of a better word). Norm was much more established than him when they were on SNL together, so maybe it this experience brought back memories of an uncomfortable power dynamic? Who knows. I always over-analyse this stuff.

Norm knows exactly when things are getting a little too boring, like when Eget and Koechner where talking to each other about music and then Norm started talking about how he isn't sexist because he finds female comedians funny.

Norm knows exactly when things are getting a little too boring, like when Eget and Koechner where talking to each other about music and then Norm started talking about how he isn't sexist because he finds female comedians funny.
That's Norm in a nutshell. He is always a lot wiser and smarter about everything he does and everything he says, much more so than he comes off as.

I almost turned it off like 15 minutes in because Roseanne was being sincere and Norm was doing his Kaufmanesque quasi-sarcastic empathy to her :(

I kept going till my car ride was done though (a little more than halfway through) and it's kinda boring because he's trying to steer the conversation to gossip topics that I don't really care about. Hope the second half is better.

demon

Yeah I actually quit about a third of the way through after realizing I was just tuning it out.

Regarding Norm being smarter than he lets on, I agree. Did you guys know that his brother is a CBC (probably the most prestigious news organization in Canada) journalist?

Also, I haven't seen the Roseanne ep yet but this is a goddamn comedy show, not Charlie Rose. I'd be disappointed if Norm let a guest turn their appearance into a serious interview.

benjipwns

Banned
Giving Roseanne Xanax was both the strangest and best decision.

Wish they had talked more about Norm's time on her show or her career. You could really tell that they have some kind of a caring bond for one another. I think that's one reason this episode was more subdued and less jokey than normal.

One thing I'm kinda getting tired of other than the joke recycling is some of the Adam Erget stuff during guests, he works well in the openings and I know it's a bit but he's not a complete fuckup anymore during the guests and Norm steps on some good potential topics. There's been a couple times where Adam brings up something that the guest will talk about which then fascinates Norm and gets some good discussion going.

The questions thing in the Koechner episode is kinda a better idea than the telling jokes which should just be a short five minute segment at the end. The jokes always seem to come at a time when the guest is just getting comfortable and opening up and then Norm's handing out jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom