• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norm Macdonald Live (youtube, podcast) Season 2 |OT| Norm returns Monday May 12th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I just enjoy the oddness that the show isn't live whatsoever and the Twitter questions are all fake from increasingly ridiculous usernames.

Tom_Cody

I almost turned it off like 15 minutes in because Roseanne was being sincere and Norm was doing his Kaufmanesque quasi-sarcastic empathy to her :(

I kept going till my car ride was done though (a little more than halfway through) and it's kinda boring because he's trying to steer the conversation to gossip topics that I don't really care about. Hope the second half is better.
I thought the episode was a bit off but my take on it is slightly different from yours. I think Norm was just actively trying to get her to tell stories and, to be honest, make any effort whatsoever to be funny. Roseanne was just completely subdued, almost like she was just enjoying spending time with a grandchild or something. I can't imagine why he thought the Xanax thing would be a good idea (though that might have been a joke).

At this point I just enjoy the oddness that the show isn't live whatsoever and the Twitter questions are all fake from increasingly ridiculous usernames.
While I've never tried to fact-check the specific usernames, I have actually seen when Norm has solicited questions. He'll post something on his twitter feed like "Do you have any questions for Bob Saget" and then he'll delete the question a few hours later.

I actually submitted a question for Marc Maron a while ago (I think it was sometime in May) and, based on that, I'm assuming that Maron is going to be one of the upcoming guests. It's especially confusing since, beyond the show not being live, there seems to be a very long delay between when they tape them and when they put them up. I remember someone this season dropping a hint that the episode was being filmed in April.

Tom_Cody

some good jokes in this one, you could tell Norm was really enjoying himself
For sure. You could really tell that he is a specific idol of Norm's. When Norm called out 'Serial', it almost sounded like someone on here calling out Dirty Work.

I personally had mainly known Mull from his acting roles, specifically Clue (a childhood favorite) but also a dozen other random films. It was really interesting to get a flavor of him as a pure comedian, especially to the extent that he is a direct influence on Norm. I haven't seen too many comedic interviews with Mull prior to this, but it was striking to see how similar his timing and punchlines were to Norm's stuff.

I love this show so much. Norm does such a great job bring out the best in his guest. While I respect guys like Carl Reiner, Fred Willard, and Martin Mull, their episodes have shown me a different side of them. I mean, I just didn't expect that those guys would make me laugh out loud. Norm subtlety creates a context where they can drop great punchlines.

Also, you have to love how he baited him into talking about Fred Willard by coaxing him to tell a Fred Willard joke. That was classic.

I still can't believe that Norm is Neil Macdonald's brother
macdonald-911-091111_852x480_2126567028.jpg

CBC's senior Washington correspondent

For sure. You could really tell that he is a specific idol of Norm's. When Norm called out 'Serial', it almost sounded like someone on here calling out Dirty Work.

I personally had mainly known Mull from his acting roles, specifically Clue (a childhood favorite) but also a dozen other random films. It was really interesting to get a flavor of him as a pure comedian, especially to the extent that he is a direct influence on Norm. I haven't seen too many comedic interviews with Mull prior to this, but it was striking to see how similar his timing and punchlines were to Norm's stuff.

I love this show so much. Norm does such a great job bring out the best in his guest. While I respect guys like Carl Reiner, Fred Willard, and Martin Mull, their episodes have shown me a different side of them. I mean, I just didn't expect that those guys would make me laugh out loud. Norm subtlety creates a context where they can drop great punchlines.

Also, you have to love how he baited him into talking about Fred Willard by coaxing him to tell a Fred Willard joke. That was classic.
Well said, agree 100% on all of it. I didn't know much about Mull but I really enjoyed this episode. I started it off in the background while I was gaming and next thing you know I'm dying repeatedly because I'm too busy watching.

I'm so happy that everyone is loving all of these episodes. I haven't really caught much of this season and I can't wait to catch up

Man, I could've listened to two more hours of Mull. He's so pleasant, but always quick with a sharp reply.

By the way, which episode had the joke, "I'm on a seafood diet. I see food, and if it's from the sea, I eat it." I love that line, and try to use it frequently.

Aesius

Man, I could've listened to two more hours of Mull. He's so pleasant, but always quick with a sharp reply.

By the way, which episode had the joke, "I'm on a seafood diet. I see food, and if it's a fish, I eat it." I love that line, and try to use it frequently.

"Meta. I hate meta."

Carl Reiner episode.

It was actually Norm's son Dylan's joke. I actually think Dylan writes the majority of those jokes.

Started off iffy, not bad but not sure I'd enjoy it but it got a lot better when they loosened up and Norm knew he could play around lol. But yeah talk about old ass guests lol.

Tom_Cody

They took down the episode last night (the link in this thread is dead) and posted up a new version. Does anyone know what they edited out?

Tom_Cody

Finally finished watching the Jack Carter episode. Wow, that was a little hard to get through. I'm kind of surprised they even released it. It was a relief that the final joke landed though.

I guess no one commented on this, but they end of the episode carries a tag that they are going on a "short summer hiatus" as of this episode. I wonder if this is related to the James Corden announcement? Anyway, I hope they come back soon.

Aesius

Finally finished watching the Jack Carter episode. Wow, that was a little hard to get through. I'm kind of surprised they even released it. It was a relief that the final joke landed though.

I guess no one commented on this, but they end of the episode carries a tag that they are going on a "short summer hiatus" as of this episode. I wonder if this is related to the James Corden announcement? Anyway, I hope they come back soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Norm hangs it up either now or after this "season".

IMO, the podcast was an audition for the Late Late Show.

I wouldn't be surprised if Norm hangs it up either now or after this "season".

IMO, the podcast was an audition for the Late Late Show.

I love the show and hope he keeps doing it. But if he thought that this would be a sort of audition for taking over the Late Late Show, well...he probably shouldn't have told the same exact joke to every guest, every episode. That was pretty annoying.

aechris

I love the show and hope he keeps doing it. But if he thought that this would be a sort of audition for taking over the Late Late Show, well...he probably shouldn't have told the same exact joke to every guest, every episode. That was pretty annoying.

I mean, he was a real jerk.

With norm it's hard to tell whether or not retelling that joke over and over is supposed to be a gag. I do like seeing everyones reaction to it.

Tom_Cody

With norm it's hard to tell whether or not retelling that joke over and over is supposed to be a gag. I do like seeing everyones reaction to it.
I think it was more that he wanted to see everyone's reactions. I personally enjoyed it as a recurring element.

I'm 100% sure he didn't do it out of laziness or lack of material.

Tom_Cody

Would love to have more of the show. It had already become routine looking forward to episodes early in the week.
I have to guesses regarding its potential return:

1) It will come back in a few weeks and continue on like normal.

or

2) We will see another batch around the time when his book is going to be released.

I started listening to the podcast a month or so ago and I really like it. Norm's shtick gets a bit old, but it's still far from annoying or boring. Although I have to power through some episodes with hosts I don't know or care about, like Andy Dick (listening to that right now) or Fred Stoller. The Russell Brand episode was also much better than I expected.

Out of curiosity, I went to his YouTube channel to check the views on his videos and I was shocked by the low view count. There are just three episodes in the second season that break the 100k views. What happened?

I started listening to the podcast a month or so ago and I really like it. Norm's shtick gets a bit old, but it's still far from annoying or boring. Although I have to power through some episodes with hosts I don't know or care about, like Andy Dick (listening to that right now) or Fred Stoller. The Russell Brand episode was also much better than I expected.

Out of curiosity, I went to his YouTube channel to check the views on his videos and I was shocked by the low view count. There are just three episodes in the second season that break the 100k views. What happened?

Lots of possible reasons: they never broadcasted live so you lose that drop-in/drop-out audience along with rewatching, the guests were pretty iffy, there was very little promotion. The lack of live broadcast made the show feel less dangerous. I don't know how much they edited the shows (so maybe we aren't missing anything good), but we were often watching something that was at least a month old so current events never really came into play unless it was an awkward reference to something from long ago.

Tom_Cody

I think it's mainly that he does nothing to promote it and he keeps the rest of the podcast world at arm's length. He hasn't done a single other podcast. I mean, he could probably increase his audience many times over if he were to go on Carolla/Rogan/etc to promote it. Beyond that he has completely ignored the other channels that he could use to promote it like @Midnight, Howard Stern, or any of the other late-night shows that he has frequented (he was on Conan recently but he didn't mention the podcast once).

I think he views this as a transitional thing in his career and he obviously isn't taking it that seriously. It's not like some other guys who clearly make their podcast the central focus of their career.

Tom_Cody

the immense cheering of the crowd in the beginning that wouldn't stop made me really happy
For real. It lasted an unbelievable. amount of time.

I kind of wonder how the audience was prepped to produce that reaction. I don't mean that it was staged or anything, I just wonder if the warm up comic told the audience that Norm is Dave's favorite comic or something.

For real. It lasted an unreal amount of time.

I kind of wonder how the audience was prepped to produce that reaction. I don't mean that it was staged or anything, I just wonder if the warm up comic told the audience that Norm is Dave's favorite comic or something.

One of the factors might be that as Letterman's legendary run is approaching the finish line, tickets are more in demand than ever and the people ending up in those seats are legitimate comedy nerds. Just a theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom