• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Agreed. Somehow I got sucked into watching the ESPYs, and that does nothing to satiate me. Where are the trades! When are the Phillies going to trade Oswalt back to the Astros for Hunter Pence???

BusterOnCB.png

I agree. Beltran has shown he can play almost every day, his fielding is improving in right, and hitting-wise he's practically the Beltran of old.

MartinoOnKRod.png

I would like to see a closer by committee (Isringhausen/Parnell/Beato), but they may use Izzy. With them shopping Byrdak they'll probably bring up Michael O'Connor--

20110713-181546.jpg

... my response.

Sanjuro

cuevas said:
What are you, sexist?
I don't follow?

Mets are absurd if they believe they can get much for Beltran. They are saying the right things I guess, but they aren't going to get anything for him. I just want Jose Reyes for prospects so the prophecy can come true.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
I would like to see a closer by committee (Isringhausen/Parnell/Beato), but they may use Izzy. With them shopping Byrdak they'll probably bring up Michael O'Connor--

As a Mets fan I personally think it should be Parnell's job to lose.

He's really the only guy out of the bunch that would have a chance of being the long term closer for the team. Parnell is 8th in baseball in fastball velo this year (min 100 fbs thrown), he's the only guy with "closer stuff" (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/29245/w2w4-parnells-2nd-half-pitch).

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
JaskoX1 said:
Pirates vs Indians WORLD SERIES??
I don't know man, Cleveland barely survived the LeBron thing, do you think they could handle losing the World Series to the Pirates?

Maxim726X

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I don't follow?

Mets are absurd if they believe they can get much for Beltran. They are saying the right things I guess, but they aren't going to get anything for him. I just want Jose Reyes for prospects so the prophecy can come true.

What player is better than Beltran who is available (and being shopped) at the deadline?

There are a lot of teams interested, and there will be a team willing to give up someone good.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Maxim726X said:
What player is better than Beltran who is available (and being shopped) at the deadline?

There are a lot of teams interested, and there will be a team willing to give up someone good.

There's 7 teams interested according to Buster.

Is there a single hitter on the market who's better than Beltran? I honestly don't think there is, unless of course Reyes is actually on the market which I'm still not convinced is this the case.

Sanjuro

Mets aren't in a position to bargain. They are trying to dump money. If a team wants him enough, sure.

Most scenarios will play out,

Mets: Give us your best.
Other: lol
Mets: Come on! We are giving you a great deal!
Other: Well have fun with Beltran and his contract for the remainder.
Mets: fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Mets need to get rid of Beltran. Should get rid of Reyes.

clemenx

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Mets aren't in a position to bargain. They are trying to dump money.
What are you talking about? Why would we want to dump money for this year? Beltran is FA next year, if no one gives shit for him we'll take the picks I guess.

We dumped K-Rod for next year. We actually sent money to Milwaukee for this year's salary.

Sanjuro

clemenx said:
What are you talking about? Why would we want to dump money for this year? Beltran is FA next year, if no one gives shit for him we'll take the picks I guess.

We dumped K-Rod for next year. We actually sent money to Milwaukee for this year's salary.
Because you are paying him 18.5 for this season. Most likely you will be getting a team picking up some of tab or sending some cash/players your way.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
clemenx said:

He's got a no arbitration clause in his contract.
lol omar

Mets wouldn't offer him arb anyway if they could, he'd make like $15+ million next season through arb.

Dragon

Banned
Beltran is not eligible for arbitration based on his contract either. So whatever team acquires him will not get two picks if they offer him arb and he leaves for elsewhere. Honestly I think that's big.

Maxim726X

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Mets aren't in a position to bargain. They are trying to dump money. If a team wants him enough, sure.

Most scenarios will play out,

Mets: Give us your best.
Other: lol
Mets: Come on! We are giving you a great deal!
Other: Well have fun with Beltran and his contract for the remainder.
Mets: fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Mets need to get rid of Beltran. Should get rid of Reyes.

Only that couldn't be more incorrect. Alderson has said repeatedly that he'd eat the whole contract if he could get good prospects back in return.

No reason not to believe the man- He just did it yesterday.

Sanjuro

Maxim726X said:
Only that couldn't be more incorrect. Alderson has said repeatedly that he'd eat the whole contract if he could get good prospects back in return.

No reason not to believe the man- He just did it yesterday.
I think that is all talk overall. If he is being one hundred percent truthful then...well...*shrugs*

In a lineup with Daniel Murphy, Rony Paulino, and the corpse of Jason Bay hitting around him, Beltran has put up superb numbers. Imagine if he went to a team with hitters around him, it'd be insane. Hell yeah you better pony up a solid prospect for him.

Sandy is being the adult here... he knows he was wrong about Reyes so he's cutting the fat, but he's not going to give away people left and right here.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
darkside31337 said:
He's got a no arbitration clause in his contract.
lol omar

Mets wouldn't offer him arb anyway if they could, he'd make like $15+ million next season through arb.
TheBranca18 said:
Beltran is not eligible for arbitration based on his contract either. So whatever team acquires him will not get two picks if they offer him arb and he leaves for elsewhere. Honestly I think that's big.
lol wtf. Well that brings his value down. I would love for the braves to get him but.....the mets are in the NL East and i don't want to give them a prospect.

clemenx

Banned
I did not know that he wasn't eligible for arbitration, in that case, I guess we'll take whatever we can for him. I wouldn't rule out that we eat most of his salary.

LJ11

Beltran has two good years left in him, they'll move him but it'd be nice to have him back.

Guy is still killing the ball, he's happy with TC, and looks to be enjoying himself more than he was a few years ago.

h3ro

captmcblack said:
So fuck it...Yankees Council, let's take this thing.
Let's ramp it up and end the AL East once and for all. Let's get healthy and defeat the odds. Let's get to the postseason and beat everyone. Let's get #28.

YANKEES.
SO HOT RIGHT NOW.

2h4cV.jpg

Maxim726X

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
I think that is all talk overall. If he is being one hundred percent truthful then...well...*shrugs*

I think he is. He's a very valuable chip if Alderson pays the remainder of his contract.

LJ11 said:
Beltran has two good years left in him, they'll move him but it'd be nice to have him back.

Guy is still killing the ball, he's happy with TC, and looks to be enjoying himself more than he was a few years ago.
Only TWO? btw enjoy your bye in MLB 11.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Maxim726X said:
I think he is. He's a very valuable chip if Alderson pays the remainder of his contract.

And to be frank Alderson would be entirely correct to pay off that entire contract.

The Mets may save $5 million or whatever it is by eating some of his contract but that money more than likely isn't going into next years payroll. It's going into Freddie's bank account (or under his mattress). Better to get as high quality of a prospect(s) as possible even if it means picking up the entire tab.

LJ11

His leg is an issue, may have more in his bat but if his leg goes it's a wrap.

darkside31337 said:
The Mets may save $5 million or whatever it is by eating some of his contract but that money more than likely isn't going into next years payroll. It's going into Freddie's bank account (or under his mattress). Better to get as high quality of a prospect(s) as possible even if it means picking up the entire tab.

They've been spending in the draft so far, so they could always use the money for that.

Sanjuro

Maxim726X said:
Red Sox sound like they want him, but from everything I have been hearing the money owed seems to be the deal breaker. If the Mets payed up then we wouldn't have a problem but I don't think that is what they are trying to do here.

We have a huge clusterfuck in the outfield. JD has retired early.

Maxim726X

The Frankman said:
Only TWO? btw enjoy your bye in MLB 11.

Probably.

He does have a degenerative knee condition... And he'll be 36 in two years. I would be surprised is he ever puts up another season like this one, to be honest.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
we should post a new thread after the all star game every year, helps with the boredom.

Maxim726X

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Red Sox sound like they want him, but from everything I have been hearing the money owed seems to be the deal breaker. If the Mets payed up then we wouldn't have a problem but I don't think that is what they are trying to do here.

We have a huge clusterfuck in the outfield. JD has retired early.

Boston is actually who I would like to see them to trade with, or the Giants. I thought that Wheeler was a pipe dream a few months ago- Not anymore. 6 or 7 teams are interested, and honestly I think it will come down to the Red Sox and the Giants.

Any chance the Sox deal Ranaudo?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Windu said:
we should post a new thread after the all star game every year, helps with the boredom.
And there will always be something new to troll the Mets with in the 2nd half thread title.

Problem with the Giants is I don't care for Bumgarner, Sanchez screams rich man's Ollie Perez to me, and even if they gave up Belt he's redundant (Ike Davis). I don't really know their farm system well enough to venture who's in AA pitchingwise.
CygnusXS said:
And there will always be something new to troll the Mets with in the 2nd half thread title.
just remember, a depleted Mets team was a YEAR OF UMPS away from sweeping the Braves in their own park.

Sanjuro

Maxim726X said:
Boston is actually who I would like to see them to trade with, or the Giants. I thought that Wheeler was a pipe dream a few months ago- Not anymore. 6 or 7 teams are interested, and honestly I think it will come down to the Red Sox and the Giants.

Any chance the Sox deal Ranaudo?
Possibly. I think the problem is Theo wants to throw money at this point and the ownership wants him to deal with what he has. Something needs to be done regardless with out outfield situation and I hope sooner than later.

Jon

The Frankman said:
Problem with the Giants is I don't care for Bumgarner, Sanchez screams rich man's Ollie Perez to me, and even if they gave up Belt he's redundant (Ike Davis). I don't really know their farm system well enough to venture who's in AA pitchingwise.

You could get all-star Ryan Vogelsong!

Maxim726X

The Frankman said:

Zach Wheeler.

No way the Giants give up Bumgarner. And they need Belt, so he's going to stay there. Now a pitching prospect... That's something the Giants can afford to give up.

Wheeler's got electric stuff. Needs to work on his control, but he's only 21.

LJ11

I think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment, I'll be happy with a solid arm we can throw in the pen.

Maxim726X

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Possibly. I think the problem is Theo wants to throw money at this point and the ownership wants him to deal with what he has. Something needs to be done regardless with out outfield situation and I hope sooner than later.

Big market teams with expectations sometimes have to make deals that hurt them in the long run... Thankfully, the Mets aren't going to be in that situation. As smart as Theo is, he isn't immune to the pressure.

Would love to see Ranaudo, and of course Iglesias but that probably won't happen.

Maxim726X

LJ11 said:
I think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment, I'll be happy with a solid arm we can throw in the pen.

I honestly don't think so. Teams with expectations and major needs can give away great prospects.

If there really are as many teams interested in Beltran as Olney reported, then Alderson is in the driver's seat.

Sanjuro

Maxim726X said:
Big market teams with expectations sometimes have to make deals that hurt them in the long run... Thankfully, the Mets aren't going to be in that situation. As smart as Theo is, he isn't immune to the pressure.

Would love to see Ranaudo, and of course Iglesias but that probably won't happen.
Iglesias is battling a concussion issues currently. I don't see Theo moving him regardless. I personally don't want Beltran much, I think he would be suitable for the remainder of the season. I liked the Cuddyer notion someone mentioned on here much much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom