• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

CygnusXS said:
Wheeler?!? No way. Belt? Fuck no. Bumgarner? Insane. Romo, maybe.

I would say normally that Wheeler is out of the question, but since they're so strong with their SP I think it's possible.

Top pitching prospects have been given up for less... (Ask Victor Zambrano).

Eric Surkamp? If they do make a trade the way the Giants are tampering, I'd want either him or Wheeler as the centerpiece. Then maybe a couple of throw in C prospects.
CygnusXS said:
Wheeler?!? No way. Belt? Fuck no. Bumgarner? Insane. Romo, maybe.
Beltran for a crazy reliever? GTFO here.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Maxim726X said:
I would say normally that Wheeler is out of the question, but since they're so strong with their SP I think it's possible.

Top pitching prospects have been given up for less... (Ask Victor Zambrano).
Yeah, but this isn't Detroit or the Yankees or Omar Minaya that we're talking about.

Maxim726X

CygnusXS said:
Yeah, but this isn't Detroit or the Yankees or Omar Minaya that we're talking about.

After hearing Sabean after the Great Posey Incedent of 2011, I'm questioning his sanity now too.

CygnusXS said:
Sabean is the same guy who said he doesn't believe in the term pitching prospect. Sandy calls him while he's on a marijuana trip Mets will get Wheeler/Belt/Posey and Mets will give up Beltran and a Purple Dragon to be named later.

LJ11

CygnusXS said:

Yeah, it's Sabean, the guy who made that amazing trade for Pierzynski.

I know the team is going to get very little for Beltran, but you're giving Sabean too much credit.

CygnusXS

I'm just saying, after last season, the Giants are really high on their pitchers right now. I think teams in general are beginning to overvalue high-upside pitching prospects these days, despite TINSTAPP, making them less likely to be traded.

LJ11

CygnusXS said:
I'm just saying, after last season, the Giants are really high on their pitchers right now. I think teams in general are beginning to overvalue high-upside pitching prospects these days, despite TINSTAPP, making them less likely to be traded.

Yeah, can't disagree there.

Can't have enough arms, they won because of their arms, why not stockpile.

XiaNaphryz said:
Sabean's best deals seem to always involve the Pirates. Maybe he'll fleece em again.
Bochy DID finally add McCutchen to the ASG. Probably tampered with him also.
LJ11 said:
Yeah, can't disagree there.

Can't have enough arms, they won because of their arms, why not stockpile.
Yeah but you stockpile so you can trade them in the right deal. They already need room for Bumgarner, where is the open spot on the staff?

Maxim726X

CygnusXS said:

As they should, as most big time FA pitchers end up failing miserably.

But the Giants are stacked without Wheeler... And they're the defending WS champs so Sabean might be forced into making a deal to win now.

We'll find out soon enough.

LJ11

The Frankman said:
Yeah but you stockpile so you can trade them in the right deal. They already need room for Bumgarner, where is the open spot on the staff?

Isn't Sanchez a FA in 2013? I'm sure they'll find room. It's a good problem to have.

CygnusXS

The Giants do have a really good rotation, but Zito's on his way out, Bumgarner's still in the danger zone in terms of age and development (sudden pitcher death syndrome), and the organization seems to be losing patience with Sanchez. So I don't see the Giants giving up Wheeler without a comparable, young cost-controlled player coming back.

Axion22

Padres-GAF, reporting in for the slow torture of the dog days.

Nx45ml.png

I also found out my dog's too young to go to the actual Dog Day at Petco Park this year. Damn it.

Who's got prospects for the Jedi?
Ludwick
Bell
Adams
Harang
Moseley?

eznark

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Beltran is not eligible for arbitration based on his contract either. So whatever team acquires him will not get two picks if they offer him arb and he leaves for elsewhere. Honestly I think that's big.

Holy shit. Minaya is the king of retarded contract clauses.

There has been talk that Hunter Pence is available and it that is true it certainly hurts the Mets. I could definitely see a team giving up a #5-8 org. prospect for Pence. He's been a little hobbled earlier in the year which hurt his defense (which is dragging down the ol' WAR in comparison to Beltran) but his age makes him significantly more valuable than Beltran.

Mets fans thinking they can get a top three prospect for 3 months of a 34 year old outfielder are nuts. Especially once you start looking at someone like Iglesias. The Red Sox have been hampered at short for a decade, they finally have someone coming up, and you think they are going to trade him for a short term upgrade at a relatively easy upgradable position? If so, they'll go for someone who they can confidently extend like Pence, not an aging guy with a knee condition who they'd have no real interest in extending.

Looking just at the Red Sox I'd say the Beltran range is more like a Solmy Pimentel (the fuck happened to him this year?!) or Alex Wilson. Young arms at the AA level who are considered marginal prospects. Maybe a major league "ready" guy who has no real place in the Sox org. at this point like Weiland or Doubront.

If I'm a Mets fan I'm probably content with one of Pimentel/Wilson and one of Weiland/Doubront. I think that's the ceiling.

h3ro

This season needs to restart already. I'm in withdrawl.

Kev, are you gonna be able to handle a left side of Nunez and Jeter for a month plus?

Did you guys hear that K-Rod never submitted his list of ten teams he can not be traded to? So, in effect, he had a full no trade because he could add any team he wanted. Omar never had him pick teams for the list. The Mets tried to trade K-Rod before Boras found out lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Did you guys hear that K-Rod never submitted his list of ten teams he can not be traded to? So, in effect, he had a full no trade because he could add any team he wanted. Omar never had him pick teams for the list. The Mets tried to trade K-Rod before Boras found out lol

Sandy is a freaking genius.

He leads Melvin to believe that there are other deals on the table which was probably not the case. He got the Brewers to pay a reliever who's been worth less than a win to pick up at least 3.5 million dollars off the tab (with a non-zero chance that option triggers) and throw in 2 prospects. All the while swooping in under Boras right after the agent switch.

Brewers are playing a really dangerous game if they really are letting K-Rod share duties with Axford. If Axford totally blows up or worse goes on the DL they can basically expect a grievance filed against them by Boras when they try to make K-Rod share closing duties with Kam Loe. Would have expected Melvin to put the foot down and just make K-Rod the set up man now.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Brewers are playing a really dangerous game if they really are letting K-Rod share duties with Axford. If Axford totally blows up or worse goes on the DL they can basically expect a grievance filed against them by Boras when they try to make K-Rod share closing duties with Kam Loe. Would have expected Melvin to put the foot down and just make K-Rod the set up man now.

I think (god I fucking hope) that was just Roenicke being nice. That said, it was dumb as fuck. The Brewers could make a case if Axford went down that a closer by committee of Saito-KRod-Hawkins was a valid option, however Roenicke essentially pissed that away with one interview yesterday.

I don't know why people think the Brewers second best reliever after Axford is Kam Loe? It's like the fifth time I've heard a Mets fan claim Loe is the only other reliever on the team.

I listened to the Alderson conference call, and he was on WFAN immediately after. There was limited talk of the PTBNL's on the call, but in the interview he made some interesting comments. Sounds like they are going to quickly move on one and wait to evaluate the other. When describing the one they would take right now he said the player has major league experience and can contribute immediately. Delusional types might point to Gamel but my best guess is an arm. Probably Mike McClendon.

eznark said:
I think (god I fucking hope) that was just Roenicke being nice. That said, it was dumb as fuck. The Brewers could make a case if Axford went down that a closer by committee of Saito-KRod-Hawkins was a valid option, however Roenicke essentially pissed that away with one interview yesterday.

I don't know why people think the Brewers second best reliever after Axford is Kam Loe? It's like the fifth time I've heard a Mets fan claim Loe is the only other reliever on the team.

I listened to the Alderson conference call, and he was on WFAN immediately after. There was limited talk of the PTBNL's on the call, but in the interview he made some interesting comments. Sounds like they are going to quickly move on one and wait to evaluate the other. When describing the one they would take right now he said the player has major league experience and can contribute immediately. Delusional types might point to Gamel but my best guess is an arm. Probably Mike McClendon.
Yea, the player they want to help out right away is a bullpen arm. Someone he pitched in the majors already.

eznark

Banned
captmcblack said:
Shouldn't the Mets be looking to get starting pitching back? Or hitting prospects?

For a salary dump? Are you joking?
Yea, the player they want to help out right away is a bullpen arm. Someone he pitched in the majors already.

It's too bad Stetter is hurt. When he is good he is an awesome LOOGY and could potentially contribute for years. OF course, he was shit this year.

Mike McClendon is probably the high bar. Tim Dillard is also an option.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It would be stupid of the Brewers to let K-Rod's option vest, but if Axford got injured it wouldn't be the end of the world. They're already on the hook for $3.5 million from his buyout no matter what so it would be like a one year, $14 million deal. That is an overpay but I'm thinking by ~$5 million. And they're getting him for practically free this year, so that would offset a little of that pain.

Still, I imagine they won't let it happen.

Brinbe

Excited, going down to the dome later today and tomorrow to watch Jays-Yanks. Should be a good, fun crowd like it always is when a huge divisional rival comes through.

eznark

Banned
Lambtron said:
It would be stupid of the Brewers to let K-Rod's option vest, but if Axford got injured it wouldn't be the end of the world. They're already on the hook for $3.5 million from his buyout no matter what so it would be like a one year, $14 million deal. That is an overpay but I'm thinking by ~$5 million. And they're getting him for practically free this year, so that would offset a little of that pain.

Still, I imagine they won't let it happen.

Considering we are getting better performance at the closer spot for SIGNIFICANTLY less money, it would hurt...a lot.

The Brewers need to sign a new left side of the infield, center fielder and two starters. Marcum is also due a giant pay bump in arb. They cannot afford a $14m set up man.

I was reading that K-Rod would work something out to get rid of that vesting option but, he would need to be compensated for it. That was before Boras got in the picture though.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Dmncnby2k9 said:
I was reading that K-Rod would work something out to get rid of that vesting option but, he would need to be compensated for it. That was before Boras got in the picture though.
I forget the number but there was talk that with a two year extension at a certain salary range, he'd get rid of the option.

Based on his declining performance it really wasn't worth it. I had read on another forum that the average speed for his fastball has gone like this for the last three seasons: 92.7, 91.1, 90.1. Scary for a closer.

Maxim726X

eznark said:
Holy shit. Minaya is the king of retarded contract clauses.

Yes. Yes he is.

eznark said:
Mets fans thinking they can get a top three prospect for 3 months of a 34 year old outfielder are nuts. Especially once you start looking at someone like Iglesias. The Red Sox have been hampered at short for a decade, they finally have someone coming up, and you think they are going to trade him for a short term upgrade at a relatively easy upgradable position? If so, they'll go for someone who they can confidently extend like Pence, not an aging guy with a knee condition who they'd have no real interest in extending.

May be a pipe dream, yes. If there are multiple teams interested as reported, the price goes up... Never know what a franchise will do when they're desperate to win now. Stranger things have happened. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if the Red Sox make a serious run at Reyes this year.

eznark

Banned
Maxim726X said:
Yes. Yes he is.

May be a pipe dream, yes. If there are multiple teams interested as reported, the price goes up... Never know what a franchise will do when they're desperate to win now. Stranger things have happened. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if the Red Sox make a serious run at Reyes this year.

I think I was too hard on you yesterday. You weren't purposefully trying to spread bullshit, you are just a genuinely optimistic fan. I think you're really setting yourself up for disappointment here though. Listen to LJ, he knows of what he speaks. Getting a five start arm for half a year of Beltran (with no arb) will not ever happen.

Maxim726X

eznark said:
I think I was too hard on you yesterday. You weren't purposefully trying to spread bullshit, you are just a genuinely optimistic fan. I think you're really setting yourself up for disappointment here though. Listen to LJ, he knows of what he speaks. Getting a five start arm for half a year of Beltran (with no arb) will not ever happen.

Interesting... I'm often accused of being too negative.

Perhaps you're right. The way I see it, the Giants 4 solid, homegrown starters in Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez, and Bumgarner.

They can afford to part with a prospect for someone that would greatly bolster their lineup, even if just for this post-season run.

I guess we'll know for sure in a few weeks. I hope Sandy gets more than a C prospect. I don't think a B prospect is too much to ask for.

eznark

Banned
dmag1223 said:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/ubaldo-jimenez-on-reds-radar.html

I don't know if this has been discussed or not, but this would be a huge trade for cincy, even though it might just be a pipe dream. A rotation starting with Jimenez, Chapman, and Cueto? That would be filthy.

Seems like horse shit to me. Jiminez has a paltry contract and is signed for the next 3 years. Why move him?

The price would seem to be massive. Although maybe they think 2011 Ubaldo is the real Ubaldo and want to trade him while he still has ace value?

dmag1223

eznark said:
Seems like horse shit to me. Jiminez has a paltry contract and is signed for the next 3 years. Why move him?

The price would seem to be massive. Although maybe they think 2011 Ubaldo is the real Ubaldo and want to trade him while he still has ace value?
The price would be steep, but the reds are in the good situation of having a very strong and deep farm system, and having pieces at the major league level that are affordable and attractive to other teams. Probably not going to happen though.

However, if the reds wanted to make a move, they would probably be in the best position to offer an attractive package of all the NL central teams.

Maxim726X

eznark said:

That's what I'm thinking. He's lost some velocity on his FB, and the Reds are stacked... Especially at catcher.

eznark

Banned
dmag1223 said:
The price would be steep, but the reds are in the good situation of having a very strong and deep farm system, and having pieces at the major league level that are affordable and attractive to other teams. Probably not going to happen though.

However, if the reds wanted to make a move, they would probably be in the best position to offer an attractive package of all the NL central teams.

No question. I just don't know why the Rockies would do it unless they are down on Jimenez.

Maxim726X

eznark said:
No question. I just don't know why the Rockies would do it unless they are down on Jimenez.

Someone on the list of 5 has played in the majors before... Have any idea who it could be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom