• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS4 MLB 14: The Show Online League Thread - Will it work?

Posting this for the new page:

Alright so let's start it now. Post the team you're interested in using and then we'll see who has to play who or who.

Starting now until Thursday night at 7:30 CT post who you're interested in...if I don't hear back by then well shit, you had 72 hours to at least check the thread! Although all that will probably happen is you won't get priority to play the team you wanted primarily. A decent gauge to see who is legit interested I guess?

NL East

Nats - McNei1y
Mets - Dmncnby2k9
Braves - CrimsonCommie
Marlins - Ph33
Phillies -

NL Central

Pirates
Reds - WhatRobEats
Cubs -
Cardinals
Brewers

NL West

Dodgers - CB
Giants - FMT
Rockies
Padres - Ecnal
Diamondbacks

AL East

Red Sox - Sanjuro
Orioles -
Yankees - DCX
Blue Jays - Rinse82
Rays - Ferny

AL Central

Twins
Tigers
Indians
White Sox
Royals

AL West

Rangers
Angels
Mariners
As
Astros

Not many AL fans I see.

Sanjuro

I'll be jumping back in more starting tomorrow.

This game always comes out when I start getting into lockdown mode in school.

Alright so let's start it now. Post the team you're interested in using and then we'll see who has to play who or who.

Starting now until Thursday night at 7:30 CT post who you're interested in...if I don't hear back by then well shit, you had 72 hours to at least check the thread! Although all that will probably happen is you won't get priority to play the team you wanted primarily. A decent gauge to see who is legit interested I guess?

NL East

Nats - McNei1y
Mets - Dmncnby2k9
Braves - CrimsonCommie
Marlins - Ph33/Drizz
Phillies -

NL Central

Pirates
Reds - WhatRobEats
Cubs - MrBob
Cardinals
Brewers

NL West

Dodgers - CB
Giants - v1lla21
Rockies
Padres - Ecnal
Diamondbacks

AL East

Red Sox - Sanjuro
Orioles -
Yankees - DCX
Blue Jays - Rinse82
Rays - Ferny

AL Central

Twins
Tigers
Indians
White Sox
Royals

AL West

Rangers
Angels - PistolPete
Mariners
As - FMT
Astros

slightly updated

If there's a heavy NL balance I might just let Drizz have the Marlins and I'll take some random AL team

Also what do you guys think about a 29 game season, regardless of number of teams? The next highest is 40 but I figured if we do one series a week (6-7 days) then a season would take 2 1/2 months or so

Yes I'm a Niners fan too but it's Okay, I'm not tripping about it!!

tumblr_m1b6tmg7ww1r1ljtt.gif

pheeniks give me the.... tigers!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn Central division in both leagues is an abandoned wasteland. I'm coming at you Bob.

NL East

Nats - McNei1y
Mets - Dmncnby2k9
Braves - CrimsonCommie
Marlins - Ph33/Drizz
Phillies -

NL Central

Pirates
Reds - WhatRobEats
Cubs - MrBob
Cardinals
Brewers - EZ

NL West

Dodgers - CB
Giants - v1lla21
Rockies
Padres - Ecnal
Diamondbacks

AL East

Red Sox - Sanjuro
Orioles -
Yankees - DCX
Blue Jays - Rinse82
Rays - Ferny

AL Central

Twins
Tigers - Turnbuckle
Indians - TheWorthyEdge (alternate)
White Sox
Royals

AL West

Rangers - BigJonsson
Angels - PistolPete
Mariners
As - FMT
Astros - TheWorthyEdge?

Can I join?

editL If so, I will take Tigers

You can certainly join, but the Tigers have been swept up by a veteran (Turnbuckle) who I communicated with via PM

If you'd like to pick an alternate team feel free to do so. But the reason I'm giving Turnbuckle flat out priority for the Tigers (without being challenged) is because he's been around a while and is great about communicating with league members and getting them in.

we always welcome new guys but they don't get priority since we just want to see who will be consistent playing games/communicating with people. I haven't seen you around, to no fault of your own, but this is sort of our way to getting new people in and seeing how much of a flake they are or aren't

Tigers I guess

Oh, they are taken

Rangers it is

Rangers are yours!

And yes, unfortunately, "Have I ever heard of you" is going to be up to my judgment...unless some other person can vouche for that individual.

Our goal is to do 29 games, with a 3-4 game series (I think usually 3) advancement time of about a week. So that's on average one league game every other night...

If this is too much for you well THAT SUCKS AND I'M SORRY. As we all know this game's interest will last until next February at the very very latest and within a few months, I expect several drops due to "I'm selling the game because Gamestop offered 40 bucks" or "I got robbed by lag last game, interest in this game is done" or "Got too much in life sorry bros"

We've basically never completed a year (well we kind of did) because we have too many people sign up with too many flakes. My goal is to have an actual finished season as well as hopefully 2 offseasons. That should take us up to MLB 15 the show!

As for getting games scheduled and stuff...I request that everybody subscribe to this thread and just check the damn thing regularly so they can get a whiff of where we are on the advancement schedule as well as who they're playing now/next. While I hope everyone would be able to schedule regularly in this thread I expect all of you to go after your guy via PM too.

And I know some people will have to go MIA once in a while...that's fine too, just let everybody know so we can sim your game or let the opponent play a CPU, which I don't think is possible

OK thanks that is all.

Also as of right now we have 19 people (pending Turboclese). The deadline to pick teams ends tomorrow at 7:30 CT. I honestly don't expect us to have any more additions after this, but we'll see! And I'm thinking I'll let Drizz have the Fish and I'll go join whatever division or league needs balancing out.

So when do we start?

When the Thursday deadline happens I'll make a head count and create the league and send out the invites. If all goes right I'll give people until Sunday, 12 CT, to join the league. 40 hours is enough right? PASS THE FIRST TEST!

And once everyone joins, it'll take probably 10-15 minutes to actually advance to the regular season lulz

Here are a list of people who posted interest previously in the thread but haven't heard from in a while or since we started redoing official team pickings:

JABEE - Phillies
bachuck - Mets
tetsuo (banned?) - Astros
shanks d zoro - Athletics
S1lent - Mariners
DoctorZ - Cubs
graywolf323- Orioles
Snickles - Brewers or Pirates
nevernamed - ?
Prototype Viktor - ?
TheWorthyEdge - Astros or Indians

Those are the list of teams that posted at most once or twice in the thread with their team of interest. To Shanks and DoctorZ and bachuck you have picked teams that a veteran (At least a vet to me) currently wants so if you still want to play please choose a different team and if we have a good season with you, you'll have the rights to challenge for your favorite team next go around!

ps----if you read any of my previous posts and had a single thought "This dude got too much time on his hands" "This dude too pushy DON'T TELL ME WHEN TO PLAY MY GAMES" well you are right on both accounts! But then it may not be the league for you :)

Ez is interested in brewers

Can banned people still communicate via PM?

Also if people choose to start quitting mid-season, well it's a free country, but us regulars are going to remember who and those people will get last priority in coming seasons. If you think you might quit cause the online will suck I'd go and play some online games to find out about that before we start this.

DietRob

I've got some free time. Anybody want to play a game here in about 10 minutes?

Ferny

Ez's ban is almost up. He only has a few days so he will be here.

Phee great work on getting all this setup man.

DietRob

Phee, have you tried the challenge of the week yet this week.

It's your boy Giancarlos Stanton vs. Greinke

I haven't done any challenges of the week. But they sure sound fun!

Also I forgot to discuss settings but I've been running some scrims and so far, this is what I feel most comfortable with:

Hitting : HOF
Pitching : All-Star
Quick count, strike zone, hot zone, guess pitch : All OFF
Balk : On
Presentation mode: Fast

HOF Hitting with all-star pitching might make pitching seem to OP, but I don't feel that's the case. Tried that a few times so far and I like the balance. Sometimes I felt hitting became way too easy especially after the pitcher gave up one or two hits. I felt the snowball effect became too strong, and I chose all-star pitching cause I felt like the pitching meter/pulse/whatever is really unforgiving at that level, especially when it came to playing with aces.

I also like to keep balk on to prevent people from throwing one pitch every 2 seconds...I also don't want games to drag on but damn, give the hitters some time to breathe.

And I know this game can be really frustrating if you get down early or big but just play the rest of the game as if your goal isn't to give up runs. I know it's a pain in the ass but it's also a pain in the ass for the winning side to have to put up with it too. Just play! And everybody will get screwed by the game/lag on occasion but just take it in stride. Comebacks happen all the time.........

Also just to pass on tips, I've learned in this game that maybe there are maybe 3-4 plays a game where what happens on your screen isn't really what might be happening on the screen for the opponent. This usually involves fielding---for example if you think you saw a wild pitch get thrown, well, it might not be a wild pitch after all!

DietRob

HOF hitting is going to make these games unbearably boring for most people. Welcome to the strike out league.

HOF hitting is going to make these games unbearably boring for most people. Welcome to the strike out league.

I disagree....so far at least. When I played games against FMT on these settings I was able to get to double digit hits. The only trouble I had was RA Dickey, and well, I was getting used to that fucking knuckleball all game.

As long as you're disciplined and are determined to also try to make your opponent's pitch count meter go up it balances out, but it's definitely not for the swing-happy folks. But try it out over the next few evenings.

And when people try them out, mix up what pitchers you use---if everybody is using aces, good chances are, offense will be lowered...but when we did it with 3rd and 4th guys I didn't sense any issues both ways. And I also didn't feel like aces were overpowered.

DietRob

I'm glad you tested it out pretty thoroughly. I usually use allstar on both for my franchise but it shouldn't be too much of an adjustment. I'll play some games with HOF if I get a chance over the next few days.

Also, FMT is pretty terrible at the game and requires miracles, so maybe this test subject isn't the best sample!

If he doesn't have a pitcher with a curveball prepare for career nights from the whole lineup!

DietRob

HoF isn't a bad setting, I suggest playing a bit more online with it.

I just changed my offline franchise to the same settings as this league. Going to run a few games. I wouldn't mind playing a few online games but I absolutely refuse to play with randoms that will disconnect at the first sign of trouble.

Phee, what are the fielding settings for throwing? Default or did you change any of them. I think default is assist with meter throwing. Also baserunning default?

NL East

Nats - McNei1y
Mets - Dmncnby2k9
Braves - CrimsonCommie
Marlins - Ph33
Phillies -

NL Central

Pirates
Reds - WhatRobEats
Cubs -
Cardinals
Brewers

NL West

Dodgers - CB
Giants - FMT
Rockies
Padres - Ecnal
Diamondbacks

AL East

Red Sox - Sanjuro
Orioles -
Yankees - DCX
Blue Jays - Rinse82
Rays - Ferny

AL Central

Twins
Tigers
Indians
White Sox
Royals

AL West

Rangers
Angels
Mariners
As
Astros

Anyone in AL Central and AL West.

I don't really like any of these teams but I'm definitley willing to learn them. Top 3 would be:

1.Astros
2.Indians
3.Tigers

If you want the 'Stros and Indians that shouldn't be an issue. I'll mark you down for one of those 2 and then we'll see how divisions are balanced and whatnot

DietRob

Phee, what are the fielding settings for throwing? Default or did you change any of them. I think default is assist with meter throwing. Also baserunning default?

I think all of that is up to you? baserunning controls and whatnot

I'm pretty sure I'm going to put all-star fielding if that's a universal setting for all

yeah it looks like fielding and baserunning controls are up to you. I can only control what I've listed

Also, I can't stress this enough----play a few sample online games over the next few days to see if your connection is good with this. It'll be decent for most but I know some get the shit end of the stick on this.

And know if you're the type to get frustrated over things not breaking your way. If you get screwed on a play where you lagged or something happened on your screen that didn't happen on theirs, like "I just saw a wild pitch and I kept running but I got thrown out, and the inning is over now?? WTF!"

People typically respond two ways:
1) Aw fuck, whatever just going to keep playing and deal with it
2) FUCK THIS GAME I JUST GOT ROBBED I'M GOING TO JUST GRIEF AND THROW MEATBALLS THE REST OF THE GAME AND RAGE QUIT OUT OF THIS LEAGUE FOREVER

If you fit under category 2 you might want to think twice!

If I lose the Marlins I would want the White Sox. Lets just play for them and loser is AL.

I'll put that down as your secondary team but right now what I'm thinking is you get them and I'll pick a team to fill whatever void we need

Since you know, you're never going to win the game(s) to get the Dolphins in the Madden league

DietRob

Group 3: "Fuck this, game is trash. Way to throw curveballs all game cheeser. I should fucking quit" (but plays every week)

I know this group because I'm in it with MGAF

Group 3: "Fuck this, game is trash. Way to throw curveballs all game cheeser. I should fucking quit" (but plays every week)

I know this group because I'm in it with MGAF

lulz definitely true

I don't get the complaining about that kind of stuff though. as long as it's not clearly OP, I welcome any opponent who is predictable with their play calling/pitch selection

I'll put that down as your secondary team but right now what I'm thinking is you get them and I'll pick a team to fill whatever void we need

Since you know, you're never going to win the game(s) to get the Dolphins in the Madden league
The Sox fill a big need for the league, stop ducking. We are playing for the Fish, and you will lose.

DietRob

Fished my first league settings game against the Indians in my offline franchise. HOF hitting is, meh.. just not fun.

Cingrani 6 IP, 7 strike outs, gave up 2 hits.
I got 8 hits. One of them a 2 run HR and ended up winning 3 - 2 .

Top Bottom