• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece is the 3rd highest selling comic of all time

Big One

Banned
Ace sucks
Well whatever your opinion on him in, it's hard to argue that he isn't more fleshed out than Sabo. He's gotten multiple flashbacks of his life and is now getting his own novel. Sabo got two flashbacks and neither one of them were all that tragic or enduring. Not saying Sabo is bad just he isn't quit there yet.

Lucumo

I think it's because he's basically a proxy for Ace, who is a better character than Sabo ever was. Of course Sabo might have his own interesting character arc in the future, don't put it past Oda!
I usually read an arc once he is completed (not a fan of waiting), so from what I've seen so far, I certainly agree. Ace was Luffy's only brother...until they eventually said: "Hey, here is another one". Don't feel it, at all. Maybe after they do some things with him, it will get better but at the moment, nah.

Wamb0wneD

You right you right...

He garbage

:/ What did he do to you? I mean yeah he was dumb going back on Akainu but still.

fucking conan really piss me off, I'm really tired of the murder of the week plot at this point. and every time there's new development on the main plot he introduce like 2 more new characters. I've been following it for over 20 years, I want to see it end already lol

I fear we will never see that ending... Much like Berserk and probably Ippo lol. Oda at least said he's halfway through when the time skip hit.

:/ What did he do to you? I mean yeah he was dumb going back on Akainu but still.

I fear we will never see that ending... Much like Berserk and probably Ippo lol. Oda at least said he's halfway through when the time skip hit.
Idk he's just a boring character to me and didn't live up to hype that is second commander of a yonkou especially now that we see other ones

Anteater

Does Detective Conan even make remotely any progress these days?

Because for all the flack One Piece gets at times for being absurdly long, at least the plot is always clearly moving.

Yeah there's always tidbits of stuff in nearly every arc at worst. One Piece still follows a single narrative, it isn't really setup to be some type of neverending story like Detective Conan and similar manga are. The Zou arc actually laid out an end-game for the series, in fact (or at least, HOW to get to the end-game). So we know far fact the series is ending, it's just going to take a little while to get there.

yeah I'd say detective conan progress a little bit more consistently compared to before but not really by a lot... but introducing more important characters into the story and into Conan's everyday life surely do help, but it also raises more questions and mysteries, and we know how long it takes until the author decide to reveal/answer some of those questions

LotusHD

Banned
Idk he's just a boring character to me and didn't live up to hype that is second commander of a yonkou especially now that we see other ones

Everybody knows Whitebeard a softie.

And tbh, Blackbeard and Akainu are terrible matchups. That said, I obviously can't defend the Haki argument. It's precisely why Sabo is better lol

Well, that and his pipe.

Oxn

Everybody knows Whitebeard a softie.

And tbh, Blackbeard and Akainu are terrible matchups. That said, I obviously can't defend the Haki argument. It's precisely why Sabo is better lol

Well, that and his pipe.

Even smoker was giving him a run. SMOKER!

My boy Whitebeard would still be alive if it wasnt for this weak emotional idiot.

Wamb0wneD

I mean he was beaten and tortured for weeks in Impel Down before he got freed.
Him getting countered by Akainu's Devil fruit sucks but he put up a good fight against Blackbeard imo. Even though that was way too short.

The only thing that makes him less likeable, imo, is that his ambitions always started and ended with Whitebeard. That's probably part of being a division leader and the whole family stuff but Sabo wanted to get out there for himself and so does Ruffy. Ace not so much.

I mean he was beaten and tortured for weeks in Impel Down before he got freed.
Him getting countered by Akainu's Devil fruit sucks but he put up a good fight against Blackbeard imo. Even though that was way too short.

The only thing that makes him less likeable, imo, is that his ambitions always started and ended with Whitebeard. That's probably part of being a division leader and the whole family stuff but Sabo wanted to get out there for himself and so does Ruffy. Ace not so much.
I also think it's kinda weird that if you gave up on the dream why wouldn't you wanna help your lil brother get it instead of some old man granted whitebeard a good dude so

Even smoker was giving him a run. SMOKER!

My boy Whitebeard would still be alive if it wasnt for this weak emotional idiot.

RedBoot

doenst ace have a tatoo that implies saboo ?

I still think that was probably originally a gag (tattooist made an error) that Oda turned into foreshadowing, but then maybe I'm just being influenced by that Bakuman chapter about mangaka looking into their early work to find hooks to tie current story to. :p Unless Oda specifically called it out in an SBS or something.

I usually read an arc once he is completed (not a fan of waiting), so from what I've seen so far, I certainly agree. Ace was Luffy's only brother...until they eventually said: "Hey, here is another one". Don't feel it, at all. Maybe after they do some things with him, it will get better but at the moment, nah.

To be fair, if anyone's going to leave out important information about their past, it's Luffy. This is a guy who didn't realize he had a father and only mentioned
Ace's true lineage
to Iva as an aside long after it was relevant.

Lulubop

I stopped reading at Mermaid Island or whatever, and I've heard not so great things about everything after.

Is Pandaman a Strawhat yet?

Wamb0wneD

Well their powers canceled out, what can ya do, it's not like he had... Haki. Heh.

:(

Haki doesn't make sense sometimes. Like when Whitebeard pierced Kuzan and people even screamed "Did he use Haki??!" And Kuzan goes: "nooo he didn't." ....Why? Why didn't Whitebeard end him right there.
Im kinda glad though because rogue Kuzan is interesting and i wanna see what he's up to.

silva1991

I used to love the anime once, but the last arcs I watched were boring and I just could handle the current artstyle anymore.

i hope i'll see the ending for one piece and detective conan in my life time, it's been 84 20 years

I gave up long long long time ago.

I stopped reading at Mermaid Island or whatever, and I've heard not so great things about everything after.

Mermaid Island events aren't too far from the boring shark dude brother events right? I think I stopped shortly after those.

LotusHD

Banned

Is Pandaman a Strawhat yet?

Well, whatever you heard is a vocal minority imo, it's like saying OP went from amazing to just great lol

That said, the current arc and the one right before it is noticeably better than the first two.

He also left Luffy in Arabasta when he needed him most. Da fukk.

Luffy handled it, didn't he ;D

Haki doesn't make sense sometimes. Like when Whitebeard pierced Kuzan and people even screamed "Did he use Haki??!" And Kuzan goes: "nooo he didn't." ....Why? Why didn't Whitebeard end him right there.
Im kinda glad though because rogue Kuzan is interesting and i wanna see what he's up to.

I dunno, I guess Oda just didn't have Haki completely finalized at that point, because we're all obviously wondering why Hardening wasn't used back then.

Wamb0wneD

I also think it's kinda weird that if you gave up on the dream why wouldn't you wanna help your lil brother get it instead of some old man granted whitebeard a good dude so

Well i mean the whole flashback with him being haunted by being Rogers son all his life and Whitebeard being the only dude not giving a fuck even tho he was actual enemies with Roger is a good enough reason, imo. Also he might know that Ruffy wouldn't want help from him. Because he really wouldn't.

Zolo

To each their own I suppose.

Does Detective Conan even make remotely any progress these days?

Because for all the flack One Piece gets at times for being absurdly long, at least the plot is always clearly moving.

I haven't read detective conan in a long time, but I always just took it as more of a weekly mystery manga more than it being about the main plot.

Well i mean the whole flashback with him being haunted by being Rogers son all his life and Whitebeard being the only dude not giving a fuck even tho he was actual enemies with Roger is a good enough reason, imo. Also he might know that Ruffy wouldn't want help from him. Because he really wouldn't.
Luffy asked ol boy to join

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'd love to start watching, but theres just too much.

Is there a more reasonable place to start rather than Page 1, chapter 1? lol

RedBoot

I haven't read detective conan in a long time, but I always just took it as more of a weekly mystery manga more than it being about the main plot.

I'm way behind on the main plot (mostly just cherry-picking the anime episodes with Sera or Kaitou these days, not that the latter has shown up in forever), but even then you gotta resolve that at some point.

Though to be honest I'm more interested in the offbeat questions that will likely never be answered anyway. How will the Junior Detectives react when they learn that the kid they've been hanging around with for <insert indeterminate timespan of series thus far> isn't "real?" Will anyone ask Shinichi why he hung around with grade schoolers for so long? And why haven't Conan, Ran, and Kogoro gone insane at this point since they've been encountering murders daily for probably an in-universe year now?

Ray Down

Banned
I need Luffy to ask a certain rabbit to join...

Don't tell me you been brain washed.

Preach!!!
Doesn't matter she'll stowaway again anyway

Get ready for your avatar.

I think she might be the one!

She's most likely not.

:( Does that mean no Jinbei? Can we still have Jinbei?

Jinbei is joining this year, we will have a new straw hat after 9 years.

I am going to hold my breath until Perona is a Straw Hat.

Perona doesn't fit.

RedBoot

you can always watch onepace i guess haha

Besides that, my recommendation would be to watch the anime from the start until the end of the Enies Lobby arc, then switch to the manga. Or just go manga all the way through if that's what you prefer. The anime is a solid adaptation until the end of EL, so that's worth starting with if you prefer watching.

Big One

Banned
I'd love to start watching, but theres just too much.

Is there a more reasonable place to start rather than Page 1, chapter 1? lol
Watch Episode of Nami. If you like that, pick up the series.

If you want something you can LEGALLY watch, watch one of these movies: Strong World, Film Z, or Film Gold. They have some spoilers, but all three are great introductions of what One Piece is all about. It's how many people got into the series in Japan. They're in the style of the Dragon Ball Z films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F' in production quality. All three films have their own beginning, middle, and end plotlines and they're genuinely great (they also don't really require you to know anything ahead of time).

Anteater

I actually quite enjoy the early anime, I especially prefer the Zoro arc compared to the manga, appreciate the extra time they put into Zoro's flashback, I stopped watching after a while though and just continued with the manga

I gave up long long long time ago.

haha i still read the volumes, i did stop for a while but picked it back up at some point, I wouldn't want to read it weekly though

LotusHD

Banned
oda will pull a freaking robin not vivi and big mom will join the strawhats

There are only two acceptable choices here other than Jinbe. The rabbit, or the memory human. I also would not mind the poison sister.

Watch Episode of Nami. If you like that, pick up the series.

If you want something you can LEGALLY watch, watch one of these movies: Strong World, Film Z, or Film Gold. They have some spoilers, but all three are great introductions of what One Piece is all about. It's how many people got into the series in Japan. They're in the style of the Dragon Ball Z films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F' in production quality. All three films have their own beginning, middle, and end plotlines and they're genuinely great.

One Piece is the only thing where I can watch any movie or filler featuring the crew. They're just that likable.

aBarreras

There are only two acceptable choices here other than Jinbe. The rabbit, or the memory human. I also would not mind the poison sister.

the point is that finally a female will joint the straw hats... i would like carrot so the shipping with chopper begins

I only watch the anime and played the latest musou.

I don't feel like I'm missing much not reading the manga tbh. And I consider myself a one piece fan.

Hey look, the entire gang from the One Piece OT is here.

mqdefault.jpg

JediLink

When I went to Japan there was One Piece merch everywhere. Even gift shops at temples had Luffy plushies you could buy.

daveo42

Banned
It feels like I've been reading One Piece forever. Speaking of, it kind of feels like a good time to start from chapter 1, page 1 all over again. Lots of hidden stuff to discover planted early in the series and some truly astounding arcs in the first half alone. What truly sold me on how absolutely fantastic One Piece is was Arlong Park and it still holds up against even the craziest arcs like Water 7/Enies Lobby, the current arc, and War of the Strongest.

Top Bottom