• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece is the 3rd highest selling comic of all time

The last few years I watched a huge chunk of the show up through Enies Lobby and then switched to the Manga.I've been stuck on the Fishman Island arc since last year. Someone convince me to pick it back up again. Something about the Fishman characters are completely unappealing.

Maximo

The last few years I watched a huge chunk of the show up through Enies Lobby and then switched to the Manga.I've been stuck on the Fishman Island arc since last year. Someone convince me to pick it back up again. Something about the Fishman characters are completely unappealing.

Fish man arc sucked hard.

aravuus

Not bad. Maybe I should start reading this, could be good for reading a chapter here and there whenever I'm bored for the next 134 years. I've watched maybe 400 episodes of the anime some years ago and generally loved it but had to drop it due to the ridiculously slow pace.

I'm gonna miss Luffy's voice acting, though. I'm usually not a fan of anime VA, but goddamn he's perfect for the character.

Does the manga's art get better further on? Not like it's bad or anything in the beginning either, just curious

Supast4r

A manga that has been overstreteched because of fan demand shouldn't surprise anyone at its high sale rate. The story got stale years ago for me.

LotusHD

Banned
Fish man arc sucked hard.

Not really. It's one of the weaker arcs for sure, but I wouldn't call it bad. Its themes regarding racism and such really resonated with me. I enjoyed several of the characters in that arc, namely Fisher Tiger, Hody Jones, as well as further insight for Jinbe.

A manga that has been overstreteched because of fan demand shouldn't surprise anyone at its high sale rate. The story got stale years ago for me.

It hasn't been overstretched though. It's genuinely just that long, unless you prefer a half-assed tale where Luffy's already PK because apparently it's easier than one thinks to achieve such a goal.

I dunno, I never once thought, man, I wish this manga would end already, or felt that Oda was being forced to drag it out lol

Fishman arc is easy mode for the crew. Really disappointing considering Oda been hinting about it back in Arlong Park arc.

Well considering that fortune, we're probably not entirely done with that island lol

It hasn't been overstretched though. It's genuinely just that long, unless you prefer a half-assed tale where Luffy's already PK because apparently it's easier than one thinks to achieve such a goal.

I dunno, I never once thought, man, I wish this manga would end already, or felt that Oda was being forced to drag it out lol

Yep i mean even from the early parts you knew it would be long because all the characters we hear about .

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Suffer through Fishman and the next arc so you can get to Dressrosa arc which is really when the 2 year time skip starts to take off.

Thought Peanuts would be 5th

One Piece does deserve it. Sure it's long af and doesn't have a catchier premise than some other shonen but it's actually consistently good. It never completely drops the ball/forgets what made it good like Naruto and such. The closest that happened would be Marineford (basically whole arc was fights between people you didn't care about. That's the bulk of the boring parts in OP. Dressrosa was honestly hands down the best arc aside from spending so much time on the officers' fights. The well-liked arcs like Arabasta and Enies Lobby have this problem as well) and the Sabo flashback(one of the rare moments in the series where shit just comes out of nowhere/no foreshadowing). Idk why some people just drop it after the timeskip(most character designs are much worse after it) but even if you watch the animemost post-timeskip arcs are actually good. Fishman is basically the logical follow up to the Sabaody arc(the best arc). Punk Hazard got repetitive very fast but it was still quite relevant for the plot. Dressrosa was great aside from the sluggish final act. Zou is okay, Cake Island is quite good so far. Even if you're late it's well worth to get into it, you don't want to miss the reactions when it will finally end.

HeelPower

arguments aside, it's the best piece of fiction I've ever read.

come at me.

tenor.gif

I think One Piece will out live our generations and be remembered very fondly once completed.

Its a truly epic work ,but let's hope no corporate meddling from Jump/Oda lives on to complete it in the best way he could.

I vastly prefer the Fishman Island arc to the Dressrosa Arc lol. Despised the latter by the time it ended. Everything onwards has been sublime though.

Maximo

I vastly prefer the Fishman Island arc to the Dressrosa Arc lol. Despised the latter by the time it ended. Everything onwards has been sublime though.

The Anime can be a drudge to get through especially with the Dressrosa Arc I feel like the time skip and seeing how everyone has improved is what holds the Fishman arc together otherwise its probably my least favorite.... maybe skypiea. I felt like the manga was better but still obviously way too long, looking back it seems almost needed with the amount of characters/new allies they had to introduce.

The Anime can be a drudge to get through especially with the Dressrosa Arc I feel like the time skip and seeing how everyone has improved is what holds the Fishman arc together otherwise its probably my least favorite.... maybe skypiea. I felt like the manga was better but still obviously way too long, looking back it seems almost needed with the amount of characters/new allies they had to introduce.

The anime kind of butchered the big fight in the Dressrosa arc imo

Toad.T

Banned
I think the real question we need answered is:

Superman VS Batman VS Spiderman VS Luffy VS Asterix. Who wins?

Asterix, because fuck you he has toonforce/hammerspace.

EMT0

Banned
the testing arc for onepiece is IMHo the arlong arc,which is the one after the one you stopped at
if that also feels like a slog to you,don't bother with the rest

I'm actually a complete weirdo in that I didn't get invested in One Piece at all until Water 7/Aokiji's first appearance. Before then I found Arlong Park and the tail end of Alabasta to be neat, but largely read it because I needed something to do. Ever since then, my appreciation for it has skyrocketed.

aravuus

Holy shit I had forgotten how goddamn heartwarming this can be and I'm only 13 chapters in

e: also genuinely funny

e2: and sad

think I just found a way to spend my summer vacation

I used to read One Piece many years ago. I got to the Skypiea arc and stopped. I really should go back to it. i just wish manga wasn't such an expensive hobby. It's why I stopped in the first place. I used to have a large manga collection but sold it all.

The Going Merry funeral?

yep. they some of the emotional scenes fairly well. Some of the voice acting is legitimately fun, as is the musical stuff like Binks Sake.
and a few of the fights when they bother to spend money on them.

Some of the movies are fun too.

caliph95

yep. they some of the emotional scenes fairly well. Some of the voice acting is legitimately fun, as is the musical stuff like Binks Sake.
and a few of the fights when they bother to spend money on them.

Some of the movies are fun too.
I only watched the recent one Z,Strong World and Gold those have Oda's involvement and are good movies for OP fans.

Part 1
giphy.gif

Part 2
giphy.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really love the maps Oda adds in each arc. It makes each story feel like an infiltration mission, and helps the worldbuilding at the same time. Also helps that it's a pirate manga and is all about following maps to treasure and adventure. This is the good shit right here:

The thing people don't seem to understand about Fishman Island is that it's supposed to be a "reintroduction" arc of sorts. LOTS of callbacks to East Blue, Arlong, and a massive buildup to the crew coming along and stomping the villains with ease.

I personally loved it. The prophecy about Luffy destroying the island, the Noah, the finale with Red Hawk and the Sea Kings, the introduction of Poseidon, the stinger with Big Mom at the end, it was awesome from a lore perspective. And that art, oh man, that art! The whole place looked like an underwater carnival.

And then you had awesome set pieces like Ryuguu Palace (will take this down if it counts as a scan, I don't think it does though):

A good arc all around IMO. People were coming off of the high of Marineford and expected something more, so I think the "reset" is what makes it less well regarded than it should be.

Skypiea is another of my favorite arcs, and it's also not very well regarded. They're two of the most fantastical locations in the series and have comparatively few classic shonen battles, but their sense of adventure and wonder is through the roof. Above the sky and beneath the sea being similar, huh, imagine that.

Fishman is a good arc if you are just not looking for a ballon kind of storytelling where stakes are higher and higher in each and every island. I actually stopped there too cause I just like to have a lot of material to go through.

wrowa

Shouldn't One Piece easily be the comic series with the lowest amount of volumes in the top 4? If Shonen Jump sales aren't included, we're only looking at roughly 80 books, aren't we?

Asterix's numbers are easily the most impressive, though. 350 million, 36 books.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wait what? Has anything happened in the last 5 years that made him not top tier?
He's been unfairly joked as having reached Yamcha tier status among the fanbase, but it's not because he isn't strong - he just hasn't had the right screentime. He doesn't get any one on one fights in the timeskip other than against villains outside of his league (usually people reserved for Luffy to fight) and his "love-gag" stuff is played out a lot in Fishman/Punk Hazard. Then he gets an entire arc to himself and he gets emotionally let down over and over.

He is still one of the strongest members of Luffy's crew, but the timeskip hasn't done a good job at showing that yet. This current arc seems to be leading up to some major comeback for him though.

faridmon

He's been unfairly joked as having reached Yamcha tier status among the fanbase, but it's not because he isn't strong - he just hasn't had the right screentime. He doesn't get any one on one fights in the timeskip other than against villains outside of his league (usually people reserved for Luffy to fight) and his "love-gag" stuff is played out a lot in Fishman/Punk Hazard. Then he gets an entire arc to himself and he gets emotionally let down over and over.

He is still one of the strongest members of Luffy's crew, but the timeskip hasn't done a good job at showing that yet. This current arc seems to be leading up to some major comeback for him though.

Thanks for the write up

I haven't kept up with One Piece for a long time, but from what I remember, Sanji have been a beast is fights. Too bad he seem to be underutilised from what you are implying.

Tenshin

Thats DBZ.. It should have ended at freeza saga.

Dressrosa is my favorite.. Amazing arc. Then marine ford

1upsuper

I'm reading Don Quixote now , and yes, I do think comics are at least a league below top quality books. They have to waste a lot of time and effort on art instead of solely the plot, after all.

Certainly if this threads premise is right and One Piece is the best comic, I am absolutely sure I am correct, yes.

I study literature academically and I've read everything from the Iliad in ancient Greek to The Crying of Lot 49, and I can honestly tell you that this value judgment between comics and "books" is toxic and unnecessary. I haven't read One Piece, but if it resonates with people, gets them excited, gets them thinking, and gets them reading, that's a win for books. It's a win for all of them. Putting down someone's passion does no one any favors.

Big One

Banned
This is one of those comics/shows where I want to get into it but since I have to start from zero which is generally where these Shonen action shows tend to be weaker in spectacular battles, I kind of give up.

Well that and how ridiculously long it is.
Watch one of the three movies Funimation dubbed. I recommend Film Z and Film Gold personally. They're great.

bjork

I think the real question we need answered is:

Superman VS Batman VS Spiderman VS Luffy VS Asterix. Who wins?

Asterix, because fuck you he has toonforce/hammerspace.

wait wait wait

Luffy couldn't beat Goku so why is he the manga representative in this clash?

Top Bottom