• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Store 11/12/09 – Braid (US)

Darkpen

Banned
I hated Vagrant Story when a friend lent it to me, but then I bought Parasite Eve, and I hated that too. But then I left PE to collect dust for a few months, then came back to it, and I fucking loved it. Considering how similar the combat systems are, I'm willing to give VS a second chance, but at the same time, lack of voice acting (the camera and models demand it), and dungeon design makes me wary :S

Also, I can't find the wrestlers.

I never really made it past the first wyvern/dragon in VS. I still own it but just haven't had time to get the disc spinning again. Given that from what I remember, I agree with Darkpen that it shares some combat elements with PE which is one of my favorite games of all time, maybe I should bump VS to my game goal for winter...shame about PE 2 though.

Keikoku said:
Are you guys planning to play this on a LCD ? Because I can't imagine how bad this would look. Played it for the second time on epsxe last week though, looked awesome.
It's a very dated game technically, and basically no 3D PS1 game looks good in HD. But that does mean that if you can stand the way any of them look, you can stomach Vagrant Story. Indeed, it's better than most (and the PS2 texture smoothing helps a lot). Given how compelling the whole package is, outdated visuals shouldn't be a deciding factor for any but the most stringent of graphics whores.

Yeah, on an emulator it'd look much better, but most folks commenting in the thread don't have a copy to play on one or they would've experienced the game already.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Darkpen said:
I hated Vagrant Story when a friend lent it to me, but then I bought Parasite Eve, and I hated that too. But then I left PE to collect dust for a few months, then came back to it, and I fucking loved it. Considering how similar the combat systems are, I'm willing to give VS a second chance, but at the same time, lack of voice acting (the camera and models demand it), and dungeon design makes me wary :S

If VS is anything like PE1 in combat system, it may become part of my Top 10 games (Hint: Parasite Eve 1/2 are #1 and #2, respectively).

AranhaHunter said:
>>FFT, Warhawk DLC<<

The only right answers. Warhawk if you have the game and can find servers with the DLC (they're there, but not in rotation). FFT if you want a game of forever with Engrish.

Chris R

Darkpen said:
Braid doesn't get the wrestlers due to it being a 360 port!

Check just above the left edge of the platform the dude is standing on

bigosc2k

Banned
What is the point of releasing the ps1 version of street fighter alpha 3 when street fighter alpha 3 max is way better

Wow finally, the weeks of patience pay off, will def pick up Vagrant Story and Disgaea 1.

Im hoping that the NIS legacy pricing of Disgaea will be that same as Dragoneer's Aria, that would make my week.

kassatsu said:
Call of Duty Classic will be up on the EU store in an hour or two.
So that's the special surprise. I got a code with MW2 for it so I might check it out. Have they made any improvements to it over COD1?

Goldrusher

micromagic said:
So that's the special surprise. I got a code with MW2 for it so I might check it out. Have they made any improvements to it over COD1?
I'm wondering this myself. Though I don't have a code.

I know it has trophies, but does it run in 720p ? Have we seen any screens or footage yet ?

Rlan

Are you sure it's not just that the codes will work in an hour or two? Banjo Kazooie was available for those that preordered two weeks before it actually came out. It might be the same thing here.

Also, Halfbrick Echoes out on PSP Minis in the US next week. $2.99.

Goldrusher said:
I'm wondering this myself. Though I don't have a code.

I know it has trophies, but does it run in 720p ? Have we seen any screens or footage yet ?
Trophies....didn't know that, so it's not a straight port then. Will give it a try after work.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Only for people who bought the special edition of MW2 I assume?

Im sure I have seen individual prices for the PSN version, im assuming it will more than likely be put up either today to commemorate the fact the games out or in thursdays update.

kyo_daikun said:
Im sure I have seen individual prices for the PSN version, im assuming it will more than likely be put up either today to commemorate the fact the games out or in thursdays update.

That's good to hear :) Last I heard it was available to MW2 special edition buyers now and the rest of us a while later.

Im pretty sure COD classic is a straight port, the only change is the trophies and it only has as much as a standard cheap PSN game (no platinum)

Rolf NB

kyo_daikun said:
Out of interest what didn't you like about it? (Personally thought it was in the top 10 of games on PS1)
The whole weapon training and fusion systems are a big hindrance. The problem is that the good fusions are vastly outnumbered by poor fusion results and you will gimp yourself, most likely. You can't just play it and expect to make smooth progress without ever consulting a FAQ. You have to know in advance which enemy types are upcoming, and how to fuse a weapon that beats them to go anywhere, but what are the chances you know that? Slim if you're playing it for the first time. The game is arcane without need. I can see why a publisher would like it that way, as it allows them to sell strategy guides, but as a gamer? No, I don't have to like that.

As machinima it's great, even though it's not as impressive now as it used to be.

Anything that's interesting about the gameplay though is done better elsewhere. Hit zones in the Fallout series, attack timing in the Paper Mario series and crafting in most RPGs that have crafting at all.

bcn-ron said:
The whole weapon training and fusion systems are a big hindrance. The problem is that the good fusions are vastly outnumbered by poor fusion results and you will gimp yourself, most likely. You can't just play it and expect to make smooth progress without ever consulting a FAQ. You have to know in advance which enemy types are upcoming, and how to fuse a weapon that beats them to go anywhere, but what are the chances you know that? Slim if you're playing it for the first time. The game is arcane without need. I can see why a publisher would like it that way, as it allows them to sell strategy guides, but as a gamer? No, I don't have to like that.

As machinima it's great, even though it's not as impressive now as it used to be.

Anything that's interesting about the gameplay though is done better elsewhere. Hit zones in the Fallout series, attack timing in the Paper Mario series and crafting in most RPGs that have crafting at all.

I never really had any problems like that, I never had the strategy guide as it didn't come out in the uk and I couldn't look at FAQS as I was only 13 at the time and the internet wasn't as readily accesible as it is now.

Obviously it's each to their own but im salivating at the thought of being able to play this on the move.

Nachkebia

Banned
Best week evar? fuck yes! One of the best games evar on PSN! guys BUY BRAID!

Ah and Vagrant Story, fucking finally! :lol

Lol at all the poor people in this thread who are gonna claw their eyes out when playing vagrant story on their HD TV.

I hope you guys are ready for exactly how ugly this game really is.

Love the game between, lost count of how many times I have beaten it. But it's Ugly with a capital U. Those who can get past that are in for a great game.

micromagic said:
9 bronze and 3 gold trophies apparantly.

Yeah thats around the norm for below $20 PSN games (only wipeout and trine have had platinums as far as I remember)

Agreed that VS will look disgusting on a 40inch but on a PSP/GO its going to be mind blowing stuff in your pocket.

k0ji-wd

fuuuuuck, i really need COD Classic, too bad I 'only' bought the standard version of MW2. . .anyone want some PSN games for sharing it? :D

k0ji-wd said:
fuuuuuck, i really need COD Classic, too bad I 'only' bought the hardened version of MW2. . .anyone want some PSN games for sharing it? :D
My prestige edition had the 'hardened edition' in it plus the NVGs. The code for COD classic was in the hardened edition steel case. I thought all the hardened editions had it.

Aspiring

dont think it has been mentioned, but LEGO Rock Band expot key goes up on Thursday as well. its $9.99 or something like that. Should be good.

RJT

How does Vagrant Story compare to Final Fantasy 7?
I really disliked FF7 due to the lack of actual gaming elements. I felt there was no exploration elements and the combat required no strategy whatsoever.

I'm willing to give SquareEnix another chance, but I don't want to watch a 50 hour movie again. So, GAF, do you recommend it?

RJT said:
How does Vagrant Story compare to Final Fantasy 7?
I really disliked FF7 due to the lack of actual gaming elements. I felt there was no exploration elements and the combat required no strategy whatsoever.

I'm willing to give SquareEnix another chance, but I don't want to watch a 50 hour movie again. So, GAF, do you recommend it?

They're completely different kinds of games. FF7 is a traditional party based rpg. Vagrant story's gameplay is better described as metal gear solid with a semi realtime combat system.

Virro

Anyone seen anything regarding Castle Crashers to PSN since the summer? I seem to remember a wave of press coverage and then nothing seems to be trickling down as to progress.

Top Bottom