• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Tales of Symphonia HD Remaster Collection coming to PS3?

Rpgmonkey

I always figured the lack of interest in a Tales community thread was because of the assumption that there would be a significant difference in the amount of Tales stuff people care to talk about compared to how many Tales products there actually are (due to a huge portion of it being Japan-only, old, spread across too many platforms, etc.), and the thread would get stale quickly.

Why not just make all Tales games play like Graces F?

Well we're getting close enough at this point. There's still some presence of stuff like TP but it seems like Graces (Destiny?) has started a gradual shift to their concepts over the more traditional Tales combat.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well I think it would at least have some traffic from people with localization woes. :lol

I'm busy for the next month or so, so if nobody does it, I'm willing to do it.

Plus it'd be a good place to setup matches for the REAL Tales of VS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBNQPZc-Nc4

In all honesty, I don't think Tales has that huge of a following on GAF to warrant a community. Unlike KH or FF, these threads tend to die relatively fast and don't pop up that often.

I always figured the lack of interest in a Tales community thread was because of the assumption that there would be a significant difference in the amount of Tales stuff people care to talk about compared to how many Tales products there actually are (due to a huge portion of it being Japan-only, old, spread across too many platforms, etc.), and the thread would get stale quickly.

This is correct.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, I can see that. Plus the fact that there'd probably be people still whining about Tales of Vesperia PS3 not getting localized. You can see it in this topic in fact!

A community thread doesn't have to be super active to warrant its creation. I mean, these threads do prove that there is some sort of activity from TalesGAF. Plus, there's definitely more than just playing the games that could be talked about.

Not to mention, Tales Festival is coming up and it's not like I wouldn't like a place to talk about it. >_>

kayos90

Yeah, I can see that. Plus the fact that there'd probably be people still whining about Tales of Vesperia PS3 not getting localized. You can see it in this topic in fact!

If I did make the thread the subtitle would be "Talk about ToV PS3 in the West and get banned"

A community thread doesn't have to be super active to warrant its creation. I mean, these threads do prove that there is some sort of activity from TalesGAF. Plus, there's definitely more than just playing the games that could be talked about.

Not to mention, Tales Festival is coming up and it's not like I wouldn't like a place to talk about it. >_>

There's only like... a handful of TalesGAF that post regularly about Tales imo. lol. Myself being one.

Videoneon

If I did make the thread the subtitle would be "Talk about ToV PS3 in the West and get banned"

So perfect.

As long as it doesn't turn out like the Xillia board at GameFAQs is now.

to be fair, they haven't had any really lame topics in a while, like "I heard this game (xillia) is the worst"/bait-title topics, which character would you date, and general ease of inciting Tales wars.

kewlmyc

Done. So the bet is the following.

Kayos90 wins if Tales of Symphonia HD Remaster collection exists. *Confirmation is needed by the end of the year* He will have the loser wear an avatar of his choice for 3 weeks. If the game exists and comes to the west then that is an additional 2 weeks.

kewlmyc wins if Tales of Symphonia HD Remaster collection does not exist. He will have the loser wear an avatar of his choice for 5 weeks.

Sound good?
IT'S ON!!!!!

Carlisle

He basically says: "It could be rumor, it could be truth. I don't know. (laughs)"

He also says they're currently working on the next Tales title, but they can't say anything about it, and they don't know when they'll be able to. But the fans will love it, and it's a new game.

kayos90

He basically says: "It could be rumor, it could be truth. I don't know. (laughs)"

He also says they're currently working on the next Tales title, but they can't say anything about it, and they don't know when they'll be able to. But the fans will love it, and it's a new game.

Next mothership title will be 2014 and 2016 for their next anniversary. That's it.

Also, lol at no mention of Xillia 2 confirmation?

Thorgal

i am not sure if it is forbidden to post the full intervieuw in so im not gonna risk it.

translated with google chrome

http://www.koi-nya.net/2013/05/14/entrevista-hideo-baba-productor-de-la-saga-tales-of/

This weekend was held in Madrid one of the most important events related to the manga-anime in Spain, Expomanga, and one of the most important guests at the same was Hideo Baba , producer of the series of RPGs Tales of a which always dedicated a special place in koi-nya. Namco Bandai had the grace to grant us an interview with Hideo Baba and after to speak at length with him, today we bring you the full interview in which the producer tells us some of the curiosities of the franchise as well as news about future drop us the series, some really noticiones as possible future PS3 remastering the two Tales of Symphonia .

there is talk about the fanbase in spain . the new tales game on ps3 ( nothing concrete except that spannnish fans would like the theme song)

the question that matters to this thread

koi-nya: It has come to our ears that it is possible that the two Tales of Symphonia could get remastered in high definition for the PlayStation 3 under the heading of "Perfect Edition". Could you tell us how these rumors are true or if there is a possibility that a reality?

Baba: First, I'm very surprised that this rumor may have come to Spain (laughs). Tales of Symphonia is a hugely successful subsaga and mean something like a representation of the dreams and hopes of the fans, who have long been wanting to see something come true. Namely. It may be a rumor, may be true ... I do not know (laughs).

other stuf about how seiyuu's are chosen and wether a game deserves a sequel like destiny 2 or xillia 2

koi-nya: We would like to ask about how they decide which games are franchise sequels. It is, for example, if they have decided to make a Tales of Xillia 2 but not a Tales of Vesperia 2. How to decide which are based continue?

Baba: Keep in mind that what you You enjoy the game world is limited from one era to another era, but we do when we create a world of a Tales of thought in the history of it. We wonder: What happened thousands of years before what happens in the game and what will happen thousands of years later? And in the end we only have a part of the whole story. So sometimes, we decided it would be worth having another part and make another game. For example, Tales of Xillia 2 occurs years later than the first game but in the case of Tales of Destiny 2 game's plot also covered a time before the first Destiny.

and a videorecorded message to the spannish fanbase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=drzY8O1kwAM#!

put subtitles to english

kayos90

I think Vesperia has the most potential to have a sequel as of now. I'm not promoting them making sequels though. I'd rather have new stuff.

Soriku

In that interview he says "Spanish" fans will enjoy the theme of the new game. I don't know if he was implying some sort of Spanish-esque theme in it or he was just speaking about fans in general.

Flamfas

In that interview he says "Spanish" fans will enjoy the theme of the new game. I don't know if he was implying some sort of Spanish-esque theme in it or he was just speaking about fans in general.

I think he meant fans in general, but I guess we'll see.

TalesFes can't come soon enough, I'm not used to there not being a Tales game announced >_>

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think Vesperia has the most potential to have a sequel as of now. I'm not promoting them making sequels though. I'd rather have new stuff.
Eh, considering I didn't like the last third of Vesperia, I think I'm kinda done with it. Good game, but that last third was something. With respect to Tales as a whole, I just want a new world now.

I'd started a replay of Vesperia on the weekend, and I was rather miffed that backstepping was something you had to unlock and assign as a skill. Pretty irritating, especially coming back to that from Graces/Xillia/Xillia 2 where it isn't attached to a skill and is a base mechanic in those games as it should be. So right off the bat, I'm somewhat missing some of the extra flexibility afforded to me in games after Vesperia. It still looks frickin' pretty, though. In my opinion, Vesperia is prettier than Xillia is, but I generally like games that are very colourful.

I don't think I'm going for the platinum trophy at the moment. Vesperia's one of those games where I don't want to go for that. I have other games to play, anyway... but looking at a few friends' 1000G with the 360 version and knowing that they're not really RPG players makes me wonder if I can pull it off.

I'd started a replay of Vesperia on the weekend, and I was rather miffed that backstepping was something you had to unlock and assign as a skill. Pretty irritating, especially coming back to that from Graces/Xillia/Xillia 2 where it isn't attached to a skill and is a base mechanic in those games as it should be. So right off the bat, I'm somewhat missing some of the extra flexibility afforded to me in games after Vesperia. It still looks frickin' pretty, though. In my opinion, Vesperia is prettier than Xillia is, but I generally like games that are very colourful.

The skill system was definitely the part I hated most about the game because of how they handled basic things like that, as well as Item Throwing and recovering from being knocked down. I never actually got around to playing through Vesperia fully until after finishing Graces, so it actually felt like more of a chore than any fun especially through the first act.

Biker19

Banned
I hope that this comes out to the West (or to at least Europe). Then they'll be no reason for me to hunt down the Gamecube version.

The skill system was definitely the part I hated most about the game because of how they handled basic things like that, as well as Item Throwing and recovering from being knocked down. I never actually got around to playing through Vesperia fully until after finishing Graces, so it actually felt like more of a chore than any fun especially through the first act.

Vesperia starts out slow due to lack of skills but once you get more of them later on the combat becomes a lot more fun as you can string together more moves and stuff.

Best thing was having almost every combo end in a Mystic Are with no meter used thanks to Yuri's tension skills.

The freeform nature of Vesperia's late game combat also gave rise to a lot of interesting combo videos.

Judith combo's are a thing of beauty.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was considering quoting this post I'd made in another thread, but I might as well do it.

Dark Schala said:
I've gone back to this for a little bit for some reason (Tales of Vesperia, so yep! I just restarted it--looks like a gem and I like how this looks WAY more than Xillia).

dsc00573zws2j.jpg

And, wow, I... kinda don't like how inflexible it can be at the start. Going from Xillia, Xillia 2, and Graces to this is weird as heck because you can sidestep and backstep right away in those games. Here, you have to wait to learn it from a weapon. I haven't played Vesperia since 2010, so maybe it's the case that I'm rusty at it? I'd forgotten that you can free run in this game, but you know how I feel about that mechanic in the first place. I like evade/block/backstep/sidestep. Eager to put Judith in my party since I main her anyway.

But man, going from a deluge of skills that just factor into stats and artes like this:

dsc00579m1j1h.jpg
dsc0058276k3j.jpg

(Tales of Graces' title system is where you learn artes, stat increases, certain passive skills, etc. from titles acquired; you have most of the mechanics (outside of Alpha/Beta artes being unavailable as a child) at the beginning of the game, like backstep and sidestep since that's essentially the foundation of the battle system. That is, being able to dodge and time your dodges, blocks, and counters correctly in order to facilitate being able to deal more damage and create higher combos as a result. You do get penalized for free-running willy-nilly, and that's why I love it so much.)

And this:

nn7lc28k80.jpg
dsc00574slkqq.jpg

(Tales of Xillia's skill system is called the Lillial Orb system. You use a grid system to level up, somewhat similar to, uh, FFX, I guess. Or FFXIII. I dunno. You can level up six stats: Strength, Agil, Intelligence, M. Def (Spirit), P. Def (Vitality), and Dexterity. So, what you want to do is put GP into levelling up stat bulbs that create a trapezoid around nodes in the centre of them to activate those arte/passive skill nodes (so just connect the dots to activate the nodes in the centre). In the end, you're just trying to get stat-ups and passives. There are some battle mechanic things in Xillia like the Item Ball and the Artes Ball, but outside of that, you can backstep and sidestep to your heart's content (and thank goodness for that because Jude's Vanish skill is broken as heck). To be fair, you do get some skills like Stepper, Moving Assault, Aerial Guard, Aerial Jump, etc. but I wouldn't consider those basic of the base battle mechanics here.)

And this:

dsc005801kkxm.jpg
dsc00581bvjis.jpg

(Tales of Xillia 2's skill learning system (the Arrowcell Orb/Arousal Orb--I'm not sure how that's romanized anymore) is kind of similar to Capacity Cores in Abyss, where you equip different capacity cores in order to learn new artes or get stat upgrades. The orb has six elements: Light, Earth, Water, Darkness, Wind, and Fire. Depending on which Absorber you have equipped, you can get points for that element with elemental cores obtained from fights or harvest points. Regardless, what you're equipping here is stat ups, passives, and extras that make battle more fluid, not necessarily base battle mechanics.)

...to having to learn even the simplest of battle mechanics in Vesperia is plain weird. Having to learn how to backstep is kind of insane at this point, and I'm glad further games in the series don't have that.
Heck, I'm glad that Magic Lens aren't a thing anymore too.

Vesperia starts out slow due to lack of skills but once you get more of them later on the combat becomes a lot more fun as you can string together more moves and stuff.
That's basically every Tales battle system in a nutshell, to be honest. I feel like it picks up way more after I pick up more Artes and passives to string along easier 100-Hit combos.

That's basically every Tales battle system in a nutshell, to be honest. I feel like it picks up way more after I pick up more Artes and passives to string along easier 100-Hit combos.

True. But I think you notice it more in Vesperia because of the things you lack at the start like you mentioned compared to later games in the series.

FSLink

Banned
The difficulty balance is pretty awful in Vesperia too, if you do Hard mode at least. The ENTIRE enemy party ends up attacking only characters controlled by humans. It's ridiculous. Free Run is nicely nerfed, but they made the beginning speed of characters really slow at the beginning. It's a chore to replay the early part of the game when your characters move like molasses and you can't do simple stuff like use items on party members without the proper skills. :p
Oh, and using Judith isn't very fun after playing Destiny remake, lol, they do the aerial combat much better. She doesn't have good party synergy for combos too.

All the end-game content's tons of fun at least. Beaten the 360 version 1000/1000 and beat the party arena and stuff in the PS3 version

I mostly enjoyed Vesperia for the great story until part 3 (where it becomes Tales tropes 101) colorful graphics, and the fun cast + skits. It's also probably the most feature-complete Tales at the moment too. Graces has the awful dungeon tracks and the story isn't too great, and the Xillia's have some gameplay issues.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention...the Fatal Strike system is amazing and they should bring that back for future Tales of games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The difficulty balance is pretty awful in Vesperia too, if you do Hard mode at least. The ENTIRE enemy party ends up attacking only characters controlled by humans. It's ridiculous. Free Run is nicely nerfed, but they made the beginning speed of characters really slow at the beginning. It's a chore to replay the early part of the game when your characters move like molasses and you can't do simple stuff like use items on party members without the proper skills. :p
Oh, and using Judith isn't very fun after playing Destiny remake, lol, they do the aerial combat much better. She doesn't have good party synergy for combos too.

All the end-game content's tons of fun at least. Beaten the 360 version 1000/1000 and beat the party arena and stuff in the PS3 version

I mostly enjoyed Vesperia for the great story until part 3 (where it becomes Tales tropes 101) colorful graphics, and the fun cast + skits. It's also probably the most feature-complete Tales at the moment too. Graces has the awful dungeon tracks and the story isn't too great, and the Xillia's have some gameplay issues.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention...the Fatal Strike system is amazing and they should bring that back for future Tales of games.
but fslink didnt you like this music from graces it was the best
KNQwM0K.gif

Oh, yes, absolutely. Hard mode's balancing in Vesperia's kind of odd, just because they end up coming for you instead! But yeah, endgame stuff is real fun. I kinda want to go for the plat now, but I think I'll just see where this playthrough takes me. I like Fatal Strikes, myself. I'd like to see them back.

I'd wanted to mention how I felt about the speed in Vesperia too. When I did that speed comparison for Xillia 2 a while back, I'd elected to not use Vesperia (because I forgot about it, lol). At the beginning of the game on this replay, I've noticed that you're right; you're incredibly slow and it feels just a little awkward, especially since the combat doesn't feel as fluid.

Yeah! Now that you mention it, this is going to be the first time I play Vesperia after playing Destiny Remake, so let's see how I'm going to adjust to Judith now! I remember loving her back in 2010, so let's see how this goes.

True. But I think you notice it more in Vesperia because of the things you lack at the start like you mentioned compared to later games in the series.
Yep. This was an issue that cropped up upon going back to Abyss for the 3DS version as well. That's what I like about these games, though. Every new system is an improvement over the older ones just by adding little growth and flexibility here and there.

Honestly part of the reason I don't post as much about Tales is because we have no community thread, I feel like every Tales thread that pops up turns into a mini one because we don't have one. I only clicked this thread today for the 2nd time assuming if it was still floating on the front page that there must be some new info, instead it's just Tales fans talking about Tales stuff because they have no where else to talk about it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Graces has the awful dungeon tracks and the story isn't too great
I feel like Graces has pretty bad music in general. I only liked/remember 5 or so :/

I hope eventually there will be a 3D Tales game with a fun aerial combat like Destiny R. Graces pretty much had none of that while every other 3D Tales weren't as flexible as Destiny's.

kayos90

I was considering quoting this post I'd made in another thread, but I might as well do it.

Heck, I'm glad that Magic Lens aren't a thing anymore too.

What a post. lolol.

EDIT: Expomanga panel in full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8t4O9p22E

Proven

Honestly part of the reason I don't post as much about Tales is because we have no community thread, I feel like every Tales thread that pops up turns into a mini one because we don't have one. I only clicked this thread today for the 2nd time assuming if it was still floating on the front page that there must be some new info, instead it's just Tales fans talking about Tales stuff because they have no where else to talk about it.

I have a similar issue. I stop by these threads because it's great to watch the discussion and read the opinions of certain members. But at the same time I only stick to the English Tales releases and hate spoilers, so there's only so much I can sit through. And when new games come out in Japan I end up exiting after a while because I don't want to get hyped up over something I may not even get to play.

Then there's the fact that my general experience with the Tales series differs greatly from the average fan...

FSLink

Banned

Wh..why does that video have 2 Likes? And is uploaded on a Brawl custom music channel... who in the world would want this playing anywhere in SSBB?

I feel like Graces has pretty bad music in general. I only liked/remember 5 or so :/

I hope eventually there will be a 3D Tales game with a fun aerial combat like Destiny R. Graces pretty much had none of that while every other 3D Tales weren't as flexible as Destiny's.

Yeah, I mostly remember the White Wishes remixes and the battle themes. And the snow related music. :p

I actually found Graces' story okay, but I guess since I played Rebirth and Destiny 2 before, I wasn't expecting much anyway. That would explain why people who only played English Tales disliked Graces so much.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wh..why does that video have 2 Likes? And is uploaded on a Brawl custom music channel... who in the world would want this playing anywhere in SSBB?

It would give you an advantage over your opponents when you blindside their eardrums and take advantage of their pain.

Soriku

Translation.

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1086

koi-nya: How do you feel about the reception of the Tales games in Expomanga? What do you think about Spanish fans so far?

Hideo Baba: I can see the franchise is very successful and popular in Spain. I realize this also thanks to you, as you even cosplayed Tales of characters (TN: one of our editors cosplayed Yuri Lowell the previous day). It’s a pleasure for me to be able to visit Spain and meet so many fans that love our games so much.

k-n: One of the most popular features of the franchise in Japan are its voice actors, which are always very popular and talented. But we’ve noticed that they don’t participate twice with a different role. Is this intentional?

Baba: We make auditions in order to find the best voice actors and actresses for each character. We choose the ones we think are best based on the mental image we have of the characters as their creators, regardless if they’re popular or not. Both veterans and new voices come to our auditions, and all of them have the same opportunities. We also know that you, the fans, love our characters and in our opinion having the same actor or actress voicing different roles could confuse you or make you think they have something in common. That’s why we always choose different voices. However, sometimes the same voice actor/actress could be used for secondary and minor characters, but never for main ones and/or party members.

k-n: We would like to know which are the factors that influence the fact a sequel will be made for a Tales game. For example, there’s a Tales of Xillia 2 but not a Tales of Vesperia 2. How is this determined?

Baba: When you play and enjoy a Tales game, you play within a world in a limited time frame. But when we create the plot, we build all the story of that world from beginning to end. We ask ourselves what happened in that world thousands of years before and what will happen thousands of years later. And in the end, we only use a fragment of that story in the final product. But sometimes we think it could be interesting telling the fans some other parts of that history in a different game. For example, Tales of Xillia 2 happens after the first game, and some parts of Tales of Destiny 2 deal with what happened before Tales of Destiny.

k-n: We’ve heard rumors about the possibility of both Tales of Symphonia games getting a remastered version in HD for the PlayStation 3 under the title of “Perfect Edition”. Could you give us more information about these rumors or even tell us if there’s a possibility they could be true?

Baba: I'm surprised that such a rumor reached Spain. *laughs* Tales of Symphonia is a very successful sub-franchise and something like that is a representation of the hopes and dreams of fans who have long been wanting to see it come true. Who knows, it may be a rumor, or it may be true. I don't know. *laughs*

k-n: You’ve already declared that you’re working on the next Tales game for PlayStation 3. Some time has passed since that, could you tell us something about it? Which will be its catchphrase? Will we know more information about in the next Tales of Festival 2013?

Baba: It’s true that we’re already working on it, but I can’t reveal anything yet at this point. I don’t know when we’ll be able to show information about it, but I’m sure Spanish fans will really enjoy the theme of this new title.

k-n: We would also like to ask you about the animated adaptations of the franchise, now that the Tales of Symphonia OVAs by ufotable have ended. Have you thought about animating a new project, or even continuing the OVAs with Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World?

Baba: It’s true that we always try to get the franchise outside the world of videogames. We’d like to keep producing these types of projects, and I’d personally like to see a new TV animated series in the future, not only OVA adaptations. This way more people would know the franchise not only in Japan, but also in the rest of the world, and it’d become more popular. About the possibility of Dawn of the New World adapted into an OVA series, I’m afraid we don’t have plans for that at this moment. *laughs*

k-n: In another recent interview you mentioned about your liking for WRPGs like Skyrim. We would like to know which are your favourite JRPGs outside your own franchise, or the ones that are most special to you.

Baba: First I’d like to say that my favorite franchise is, hands down, Tales of, and I’m really proud of being involved with it. When I was younger, RPGs started being popular with titles such as Wizardry, and later the Dragon Quest franchise was born in Japan. They had silent main characters, but I liked them very much. Recently, Square-Enix’s Bravely Default really surprised me with its very nostalgic aura. It’s a videogame made with an old-school flavor, and that caught my attention.

k-n: When the first image of Tales of Xillia 2 was shown in the media, some fans saw the glyphs of the elenpios language and guessed it could be a sequel for Xillia. However, in the Famitsu magazine the same image was shown without the glyphs. Did Namco Bandai notice this fact? How did you all react?

Baba: We always check everything before publishing any kind of material, but that time we forgot to check the glyphs. And soon many people started saying “It’s Tales of Xillia 2!” *laughs* Therefore, when we showed the image again we removed them. It’s a very minor detail, but fans spotted it really fast. Actually, when we realized our mistake it was too late and we couldn’t avoid publishing the image like that. *laughs*

So yeah, the ToS thing was just a non-answer blown out of proportion :p They might still do something for its 10th anniversary though. Or not...

Nothing about Xillia 2's localization. Probably just speculation on the article writer's part.

Also cool, Baba mentioned he liked Bravely Default.

Soriku

In the next Tales I want a very broken aerial-oriented character that can constantly juggle and keep enemies in the air for extended periods like nothing.

FSLink

Banned
while the thread is still here i want to ask

do you want a tales game where a character is this broken to the point of sillieness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBhltuBj9KI

Poor kratos...

Pfft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTMcL1KJD74

Better video (at the end, though the beginning is a cool all artes combo)

In the next Tales I want a very broken aerial-oriented character that can constantly juggle and keep enemies in the air for extended periods like nothing.

I just want Destiny remake's battle system to be used again. Perhaps modify Graces' a bit to be aerial.

Top Bottom