• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So much more then that tho!

Major events recap/spoiler (not in order) of the newest episode:
Ozpin's screwed, I won't be surprised if he and/or Crow dies next week.
Someone has to go down the dark path. The RT crew has picked their martyr.
Oh there is so much more, but was still trying to soak it all in. Ironwood is actually half cyborg. If you look carefully at his legs and body, like on his ripped pants.
I do think Torchwick is gone, eaten by a Griffin then that Griffin goes down with the ship kinda reduces his chances by a lot.
Ozpin is so getting killed by full power Fall Maiden Cinder. Unless he's literally godtier skill fighting level.
I thought seeing Blake get stabbed being bad enough, but Yang losing an arm got me. What makes Adam really dangerous right now is that he doesn't want to kill Blake but make her suffer for betraying him, which is even more diabolical.
I don't know if Roman is dead, but he's not coming back into the story. Just accept and think that and it'll all be easier.

That Ironwood thing took me a while to internalize fully. Can we trust him? Wasn't it implied at one point that he was the inside man? That and the "This wasn't my doing" was clear. He thinks someone thinks he's untrustworthy, and isn't that enough? Besides, with his character design, he could easily turn evil. Looking forward to meeting Penny's father, Geppetto sooner or later.

I... I think both of you are severely underestimating Ozpin. Ozpin is our Big Good, Cinder isn't even the Big Bad. He's gonna have some trouble but he'll be able to handle Cinder and she will bug off having gotten everything she wanted. His cane is a wand and he's much more powerful than Glynda. This is gonna be a fantastic fight.
Holy fuck Adam. Edgemaster Adam. He's so edgy he cut an arm off. Bastard. I think Yang is gonna become Barrett. Or pull a Korra and solidify Bubblebee. I don't know. I hope the next episode is as long if not 3 minutes longer.

This... This episode, combined with the last, are very very good. They show the consequences, and they show the reactions. Unlike S2 where the train crashes then they fight then it's all over. That was terrible. This is great. Is this what was supposed to happen the first time?

I guess what they say is true. Being a good guy is really hard. The bad guy only has to succeed once.

Lay off the repeat words RT. Just a little bit.

Wanderer5

Sheesh lol.
Roman and Amber gets killed, Blake is stabbed by Adam who then slices Yang's arm off. The tension in recent events has been great. Hope the last episode doesn't fall flat.

Neo getting blown away was amusing and a smart move for Ruby to get rid of her. Roman's sudden death was kind of meh through. Also didn't think Qrow's Scythe reveal wasn't that great either, but otherwise pretty nice episode. Valet's weapon is shown at last, and quite interesting it was.

Major events recap/spoiler (not in order) of the newest episode:
Ironwood is alive but has a robotic arm,

More than that. He also appears to have at least one robotic leg and half his chest.
So, as far as the secret society goes:

Ozpin - Oz the Great and Powerful
Glynda Goodwitch - Glinda, Good Witch of the North
Qrow Branwen - The Scarecrow
James Ironwood - The Tin Woodsman

Any chance that we meet Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion?

coolasj19

Yang's gonna get a badass robot fist from Ironwood. Or one of Penny's arms.
Am I a bad person for being more excited for Yang because she's gonna get an awesome replacement limb. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say time skip and costume change for S4. Blake has a nasty abdominal scar and Yang needs a new fighting method. Weiss got a power level spike. Ruby's innocence has taken a shot. Penny...

Yang's gonna get a badass robot fist from Ironwood. Or one of Penny's arms.

I think Yang will get a prosthetic arm from Penny's "father," who she meets at the suggestion of Ironwood.

Also, they're totally going to go Korra on us in regards to Bumbleby. Putting aside the large number of fans that want it, Barb and Arryn both want it to happen too much too.

Yang losing an arm equals 2 things. 1: Jaune healing semblance appears. 2: She gets a robotic arm.

The reaction Ruby, Weiss, and the others will have when they see an injured Blake and Yang will be awesome

Grazzt

Holy shit what an episode.
Velvet is awesome!!!
I LOLed at Neo's departure.
RIP Torchwick.
Yang is definitely gonna get a robotic arm.
Adam is powerful and cruel
I think Ozpin will die. But I hope not.
The 'she' Cinder talked about is Raven imo

Holy shit what an episode.
Velvet is awesome!!!
I LOLed at Neo's departure.
RIP Torchwick.
Yang is definitely gonna get a robotic arm.
Adam is powerful and cruel
I think Ozpin will die. But I hope not.
The 'she' Cinder talked about is Raven imo

Nah, I'm pretty sure that "she" was the Cortana lady from Episode 1 and the World of Remnant videos. Probably the headmistress of another school besides Beacon, acting as the "Wicked Witch of the West" to Ozpin's "Oz the Great & Powerful" and the other Oz-related motifs for his sidekicks (i.e. Qrow = Scarecrow, Ironwood = Tin Man)

I think Raven has ties to the White Fang though, which would connect Yang to the Adam-Blake subplot even more than she already was this episode.

Grazzt

Nah, I'm pretty sure that "she" was the Cortana lady from Episode 1 and the World of Remnant videos. Probably the headmistress of another school besides Beacon, acting as the "Wicked Witch of the West" to Ozpin's "Oz the Great & Powerful" and the other Oz-related motifs for his sidekicks (i.e. Qrow = Scarecrow, Ironwood = Tin Man)

I think Raven has ties to the White Fang though, which would connect Yang to the Adam-Blake subplot even more than she already was this episode.
Can't remember who...Which episode is it?

This... This episode, combined with the last, are very very good. They show the consequences, and they show the reactions. Unlike S2 where the train crashes then they fight then it's all over. That was terrible. This is great. Is this what was supposed to happen the first time?

What I think is that the train event was supposed to happen simultaneously with this whole debacle but since it was found out early, it had to start early. They didn't need Torchwick on the ship cause Neo already can infiltrate one, take it over, and get the Black Queen Virus loaded up. So the whole train stuff really wasn't supposed to be the big invasion and really was supposed to be an easy cleanup, especially since Cinder's group helped out.

In other words, whats going on was actually supposed to be even worse.

edit:

Oh yeah, to those who still need to see this episode. The feels train is still going through a roller coaster still!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
With the last ep of the volume coming, was there any info on how long it'll be between volumes 3 and 4?

As for best girl Neo...

Does she come back with revenge on her mind after Ruby, or switch sides and joins up the good side...could go either way (no guarantees that Torchwick's truly dead of course and doesn't come back an undead half-Grimm zombie man).

Crocodile

Roman kind of went out in a lame way but perhaps its fitting? He was the villain with the best personality though so losing him kind of hurts. Like if Adam bites it forever I wouldn't care but I kind of hope Roman comes back.

Velvet is a mimic? Huh. I'm not sure why they let her try to solo those robot though. If she was that strong she should have been wrecking fools from the start and if she's not they should have been fighting alongside her from the start. It seems more like a scene to make Velvet look cool than one that actually makes sense.

So is Bumblebee about to be cannon? I'm note entirely sure they did enough set up in previous episodes/seasons though its not wildly out of the blue either. Neat. I'm curious if they will become an actual couple or if its just "real good friends".

Blake was stabbed but she doesn't look like it. Not even any blood. Too hard for the animators?

Hacking off an arm has to be the easiest, "we want there to be stakes but we don't want to kill our characters" route to take :p Not a complaint so much as a comment. I'm hoping they don't back-pedal all the way from this. That is to say I'd much prefer "robo-arm" to "we magically glued it back on there".

EDIT: You can't spoiler bullet lists? WTF?

Velvet is a mimic? Huh. I'm not sure why they let her try to solo those robot though. If she was that strong she should have been wrecking fools from the start and if she's not they should have been fighting alongside her from the start. It seems more like a scene to make Velvet look cool than one that actually makes sense.
Coco stopped Velvet from using her weapon during the breach saying "You've been building that up all semester- don't waste it now."

I think her "exposures" all have limited use. After she uses them, she loses them. Hence saving them for the boss fight.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That I May Fall bit with Velvet, omfg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YANG'S HAND
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That I May Fall bit with Velvet, omfg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YANG'S HAND
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

These are my thoughts on the episode too.

Also crying at (one sided?) Bumblebee. And Yang really getting dealt a bad hand this season.

Ba-dump (tears).

naeS

WHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT!?

Oh man.. Where do I even begin. This show... this volume.. amazing.

I was going to change my avatar since Yang didn't really get in that much trouble for the Mercury incident. Definitely keeping it now. Gimmie that mechanical arm.

Any bets that the
failed aura transfer
is still going to end up having some effect on
Pyrrah
in some way?

I mean, they wouldn't have all that build up that
defined Pyrrah's character arc for the entire second half of the volume just to set up a Cinder v. Ozpin fight and pull a Status-Quo is God on Pyrrah, would they?

Grazzt

Any bets that the
failed aura transfer
Pyrrah
in some way?

defined Pyrrah's character arc for the entire second half of the volume just to set up a Cinder v. Ozpin fight and pull a Status-Quo is God on Pyrrah, would they?
Or Jaune

Any bets that the
failed aura transfer
Pyrrah
in some way?

I think the purpose was that Pyhrra was a character to justify giving the exposition dump we needed to here. Team JNPR probably becomes the new council while RWBY become the new maidens by the end of the series.

coolasj19

I think the purpose was that Pyhrra was a character to justify giving the exposition dump we needed to here. Team JNPR probably becomes the new council while RWBY become the new maidens by the end of the series.
That seems a bit on the nose?
Blake was stabbed but she doesn't look like it. Not even any blood. Too hard for the animators?
Hacking off an arm has to be the easiest, "we want there to be stakes but we don't want to kill our characters" route to take :p Not a complaint so much as a comment. I'm hoping they don't back-pedal all the way from this. That is to say I'd much prefer "robo-arm" to "we magically glued it back on there".
People can actually die in this show now. But killing off a main character is a bit shark jumpy. It's not GoT. This is a much better alternative that means that our characters are actually at risk. Either them of the things they love.
What I think is that the train event was supposed to happen simultaneously with this whole debacle but since it was found out early, it had to start early.
This makes so much more sense. How could it have come out even WORSE? Yeesh.
The first episode; remember the opening monologue about Remnant and the Grimm from the mystery lady who ends up getting into a debate with Ozpin? Her.[/SPOIER]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sGiE10zNQM
While the narrator being the big bad is my absolute favorite plot meets storytelling device, and I would LOVE for this to happen. You're talking about Jen Taylor. She must be exceptionally busy and cost a good amount of money. It may not make business sense. I love the idea though and really do hope with all my heart it happens.

The RT Anime Sponsorcast pointed out a couple of X-Ray and Vav Easter Eggs from this season:

- One of the Atlas Knights from episode 10 in the background of an air-drop scene was replaced with the character design of Hilda wearing Orf as an Iron Man suit.

- Flynt Flossy's character, Flint Coal, shares his name with Colton Dunn's detective character from this season of X-Ray and Vav. They joked about having to create a Flint Coal for RvB next.

Wanderer5

Prepainted figures of RWBY being made by Medicos Entertainment.

I_Kyubey1454906015.jpeg

Don't know much about Medicos Entertainment, but their Goku figure looks neat.

The RT Anime Sponsorcast pointed out a couple of X-Ray and Vav Easter Eggs from this season:

- One of the Atlas Knights from episode 10 in the background of an air-drop scene was replaced with the character design of Hilda wearing Orf as an Iron Man suit.

- Flynt Flossy's character, Flint Coal, shares his name with Colton Dunn's detective character from this season of X-Ray and Vav. They joked about having to create a Flint Coal for RvB next.

Did they mention a time stamp for the Hilda one? I just rewatched the episode and didn't see it.

More than that. He also appears to have at least one robotic leg and half his chest.
So, as far as the secret society goes:

Ozpin - Oz the Great and Powerful
Glynda Goodwitch - Glinda, Good Witch of the North
Qrow Branwen - The Scarecrow
James Ironwood - The Tin Woodsman

Any chance that we meet Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion?

I think we already have met them...

Dorothy wears Ruby Slippers and Jaune's personality strikes as a Cowardly Lion. I'm a bit more hesitant on Jaune than I am on Ruby though.

Dorothy wears Ruby Slippers and Jaune's personality strikes as a Cowardly Lion. I'm a bit more hesitant on Jaune than I am on Ruby though.

Which would make Zwei Toto.

What an episode. I whole lot of drama and action.

First we have the fight of Ruby vs. Neo and Torchwick. Ruby was having trouble the entire fight. On their own Neo and Torchwick where able to handle Ruby. Neo and Torchwick actually had some decent teamwork going. Lucky Ruby was able to use her head and take Neo out of the fight by opening her umbrella. I wish Torchwick didn't have such a lame death. It seems like a cheap way to have Ruby win, and he was the most amusing personality of the villains.

Next we have the students fighting against the hijacked robots. We finally get to see Velvet's semblance, Limited Picture Works. The ability to wield any weapon that she has taken a picture of is neat. I enjoyed watching her go through the various weapons. Weiss also got a bit of the spotlight by successfully summoning the blade and arm of that Grimm Knight she fought before.

Moving on the to most most Brutal part of the episode, we have Adam vs. Blake and Yang. It was more of a slaughter than a fight, though. Blake wasn't able to do anything to him, and Yang lost an hand to him. Blake was lucky to get them both away alive.

Then suddenly we have Cardin trying to do something, before Ironwood shows up to steal the spotlight. Thanks to the crash we got a good look at which parts of him are flesh, and which parts are now robotic.

Lastly, we have Ozpin, Pyyrha, and Jaune with the maiden. This was the only part that slightly disappointed me. I know team RWBY are the main characters, but I thought it would be more interesting than tune in next time for Ozpin vs Cinder. I also would have thought the pod holding Autumn would have been made sturdier to be on the safe side. Considering Cinder's current level of power, Jaune is pretty lucky to be in one piece after being blasted away.

Next episode is the finale. We will have Cinder vs. Ozpin, but what else. There is still the huge Grimm flying around. Blake and Yang are out of the fight. Weiss is exhausted, probably won't be able to do much else. There are the remaining students with the NR of JNPR, and Ruby. They could potentially fight it. Jaune and Pyyrha are going to get Qrow, Glynda, and James. No telling how smoothly that will go. I can't see this season ending well for the heroes. I see a strategic retreat to heal, regroup and plan a counter attack.

I'm glad to see that consequences are actually happening.

Also, while it's cool to see that Velvet is a seemingly a powerhouse, I'm a little disappointed that her power is essentially to sommon untextured models from other chatcters. From a production standpoint it just seems kinda cheap.

I don't think anybody is two characters. We already know that Ruby is Little Red Riding Hood and Jaune is Joan of Arc.

. Can someone explain how Ruby manages to kick that grim griphon through the deck of the airship? That seems way beyond her capabilities but it just kinda happened then got glossed over.

XiaNaphryz

. Can someone explain how Ruby manages to kick that grim griphon through the deck of the airship? That seems way beyond her capabilities but it just kinda happened then got glossed over.

I think that was more a redirection than anything, the gryphon's own charge had enough momentum that it was able to crash into the bridge, which should be easier to do since it's mostly windows, as opposed to through the steel deck. The camera angle and how they displayed the damage may make it look like it went through the deck.

Kinda surprised they did that in ep 11. Are people up in arm about it¿

No way this season would even end well from the intro + the warning they gave out

Have they ever mentioned if they have the full story for this show mapped out or not? This season feels very "middle act." I'd rather this show not drag on and on for the sake of merchandising and the like.

Have they ever mentioned if they have the full story for this show mapped out or not? This season feels very "middle act." I'd rather this show not drag on and on for the sake of merchandising and the like.

Monty apparently had a lot of notes for up to 9 seasons from what I remember so this is what Rooster Teeth is working from.

For this season and what is happening others have mentioned Monty also seemed to have cribbed from video games that he liked and that the first 3 seasons were a first act of sorts before shit hits the fan (a la older Final Fantasy titles).

Wanderer5

I think it was said Monty had content up to volume 8.

Edit: beaten

Monty apparently had a lot of notes for up to 9 seasons from what I remember so this is what Rooster Teeth is working from.

For this season and what is happening others have mentioned Monty also seemed to have cribbed from video games that he liked and that the first 3 seasons were a first act of sorts before shit hits the fan (a la older Final Fantasy titles).

Interesting. Gives me a better perspective to how the story might move along. I feel like we need a poll now to which season will Jaune discover since semblance. Never would be a valid answer along side the numerical choices.

XiaNaphryz

Yeah, I was fully expecting the first 3 seasons to be setup where the bad guys do their thing and establish their presence, the middle 3 being the journey of the protaganists to train/gather intel/prep for taking down the villains as they increase/consolidate their power, and the last 3 seasons be where the villains are taken down.

That's more than I wanted. Either it's a very long form story or this was supposed to be a major franchise and he never finished the whole thing (or maybe not I don t know).

5 seasons just focusing on thier adventures around Beacon would have been ideal, I think.

XiaNaphryz

That's more than I wanted. Either it's a very long form story or this was supposed to be a major franchise and he never finished the whole thing (or maybe not I don t know).

5 seasons just focusing on thier adventures around Beacon would have been ideal, I think.

If they can manage to get 2 seasons a year, they'll be down with season 9 in 2018, assuming they continue with the cadence from this past season so far. Assuming 15 week seasons (12 eps and 3 WoR eps), that's 30 weeks in the calendar year taken. I don't know how long they'll take in-between seasons going forward, but even assuming 5-6 months in-between that still allows 2 seasons to fit in a calendar year. Drop the in-between season time even more and you can get another half of a season or so in that timeframe.

If they can manage to get 2 seasons a year, they'll be down with season 9 in 2018, assuming they continue with the cadence from this past season so far. Assuming 15 week seasons (12 eps and 3 WoR eps), that's 30 weeks in the calendar year taken. I don't know how long they'll take in-between seasons going forward, but even assuming 5-6 months in-between that still allows 2 seasons to fit in a calendar year. Drop the in-between season time even more and you can get another half of a season or so in that timeframe.
My issue isn't with the amount of time that quantity of content would take to produce. It's that I don't have confidence in this production to produce that much content with sufficient quality. That's why I'd prefer a smalled more focused story than something dragging out for close to 10 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom