• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
He posted a DeviantART journal a month ago that makes me think his exit is family related:
http://shanenewville.deviantart.com/journal/Things-Life-Throws-You-577167529

Here's hoping the best for him and for the RWBY team going forward.

In happier news, Episode 8 is up for Sponsors:

http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-season-3-volume-3-chapter-8

Yeah, it seems like he's facing a sort of personal crisis. I mean given what happened last year it makes sense that Monty's passing affected him gravely given that he was his "right hand man" and seemed to be a large influence on him.

I wish him the best and hope he's able to sort his life in order.

Wanderer5

Wow, I wish him the best.

I guess Dillon will probably lead now when it comes to fight choreography, but he has shown his worth, as Mercury/Emerald VS Coco/Yatsuhashi was a great fight.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
He posted a DeviantART journal a month ago that makes me think his exit is family related:
http://shanenewville.deviantart.com/journal/Things-Life-Throws-You-577167529
Here's hoping the best for him and for the RWBY team going forward.
In happier news, Episode 8 is up for Sponsors:
http://roosterteeth.com/episode/rwby-season-3-volume-3-chapter-8
Huh. I know the RWBY crew will be fine.

That was moment after moment. PENNY NO!! OH GOD NO!! This is literally the worst matchup. Everything is going to hell! Very slow on action but very larger on character, this episode. So right now we have an over-emotional, amped-up, Phyrra, versus the nicest, sweetest, most loving, character in the whole cast that also happens to be an android. Nevertheless, Penny is going to get ripped into actual shreds. It's an extremely safe bet that between Cinder being confused when she met Emerald, to literally nobody considering it, Illusionism as a semblance must be either/and/or unheard of or excessively rare.
Penny is going to die and I can't handle that.

It seems they learned a lesson from the other two seasons. This second half has a different tone entirely, but hasn't completely jettisoned either Team RWBY or JNPR like the first two seasons did.

New Theory:
If Pyrrha severely damages Penny in the fight, Ironwood will pull his support for her as the Fall Maiden. Since he controls the transference tech...

naeS

I think, if this fight is going to go the way Cinder wants it to, the crowd reaction will be worse than Yang v. Mercury. Ugh, it hurts. We can't forget about Ruby, she knows that something is up now. The convo with Velvet was the first tell.

Overall great episode, I love the character building.

EDIT:
After writing that I was like of course it would be worse. I don't think Penny will die. I do think she will be ripped apart. But the reveal that she is a robot plus being ripped apart will be a major shock to all. Mostly Pyrrha.

coolasj19

I think, if this fight is going to go the way Cinder wants it to, the crowd reaction will be worse than Yang v. Mercury. Ugh, it hurts. We can't forget about Ruby, she knows that something is up now. The convo with Velvet was the first tell.
Overall great episode, I love the character building.
EDIT:
After writing that I was like of course it would be worse. I don't think Penny will die. I do think she will be ripped apart. But the reveal that she is a robot plus being ripped apart will be a major shock to all. Mostly Pyrrha.
You can tell how quickly it's just going to all go to shit.
We already saw reports of rampant Grimm from just the Yang fight. Imagine when Penny gets ripped apart, the reveal she's an android. It's going to be chaos. It's kind of all up to Ruby right now but she's not gonna be able to do anything. The RWBY team isn't afraid to let the heroes fail. And like said above, Phyrra isn't going to have Ironwoods support afterwards. Further delaying the transfer of the maidens power. I'm off the opinion that the first and second halves will just recombine. Alternatively, AND EVEN WORSE, we're gonna see Phyrra live up to her namesake. Are we assuming Emerald is there to trick Phyrra?

I agree that the tone of this season is a lot different than the previous two, the story definitely feels stronger now that things are coming together and the plot is steadily advancing. I think the last handful of episodes are some of the best they've shown so far in terms of story content.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I wonder if in the next ep
we'll finally get to see Mercury's semblance in that faceoff. Unless he knocks out/incapacitates Ruby right away, given how she couldn't take a random White Fang patroller.

This weeks episode was certainly interesting.

So we have confirmation that Yang is currently under house arrest. Blake's doubt of Yang stems from for past with Adam, that is understandable. Glad to see team JNPR being supportive. Which leads to Nora and Ren trying to get Pyrrha ready for her match.

That was a pretty fun scene, between Nora being Nora and Ren's health drink. Ren's apron was perfect for hm. Jaune then notices something is bothering Pyrrha and tries to comfort her. He does a pretty good job until the end, where he gets thrown into the wall. I wasn't expecting that, which just made Pyrnha's emotional state worst.

The talk between Yang and Qrow was interesting. We see that Qrow and his sister don't see eye to eye, and that Raven has her own agenda.

The episode ends on a high cliffhanger, with Ruby being confronted by Mercury without a weapon, and Pyrnha fighting Penny. Is Cinder going to make Penny go berserk, or is Emerald going to use her illusions to mess with Pyrnha? I can't wait to find out.

In terms of random tidbits, we also now know that Jaune's parents are aware of his enrollment to Beacon. Whether they also know about the transcripts is a different story.

I'm calling it now.

Regardless who wins the fight it'll be a repeat of the Yang scenario. Emerald will force an illusion forcing Phyrra to go full out on polarity and end up exposing Penny as a robot or outright destroying her.

And for added drama Ruby is gonna get serious injured by Mercury, Qrow intercepts the killing blow, goes full on Scythe mode and tries to stop Mercury. By then though the battle is with Penny/Phyrra ended so Emerald shows up with illusions to cover Mercury's identity being discovered.

So in other words all hell breaks loose, but the only person who really knows is out of commission.

Main reason why I think Penny is gonna get destroyed though is that her death flag was raised when she said she wants to stay at Beacon. She'll never leave Beacon intact.

Wanderer5

Heh some interesting fights to come in this ep.
Looks like Ruby will try to get out of there via her semblance, but is losing energy, possibly fast.

coolasj19

This fight its gonna be the best one (or at least tied with Qrow vs Winter) of the season. Phyrra's choreography is always awesome. Penny is always awesome. All. Hell. Will. Break. Loose.

Flandy

The only thing I haven't really liked about this season are the fights. The camera moves too quickly and never really focuses on one shot for too long during fights. Anyone feel this way?

The only thing I haven't really liked about this season are the fights. The camera moves too quickly and never really focuses on one shot for too long during fights. Anyone feel this way?

From what I know it's mostly Shane and Dillon animating the fights this season. Apparently the Yang vs Mercury fight made use of some stuff that Monty was doing before he passed away, that fight in particular has some of the action that we know Monty by, the kind of thing that you would expect to see in a martial arts movie, a lot of smooth close range exchanges with fewer cuts so you can savor the action.

At least that's how I look at his work. Ultimately his passing meant that some things were indeed going to be different but I think the RWBY team has done an admirable job of carrying the torch onward if that saying makes any sense here. I'm sure all of us wish Monty was around to see how things have turned out and although I didn't know him personally I have a semblance of a feeling that he would be very proud of what they have done.

The preview shows us a taste of the fights to come this episode.

No sign of how the Penny fight is going to end. Without a weapon, it looks like Ruby is trying to use her speed to escape. Curious if Mercury has any tricks up his sleeve for confronting Ruby or if he is just being cocky.

Crocodile

I think
Mercury showing back on the scene
was kind of stupid. Why come back now? You seriously risk the ruse being unraveled for no/little gain as far as I can tell :/

Other than that the most recent episode was great. I think I'm starting to unironically like this show O_O Like I always liked the main cast but most of the rest of the show wasn't doing that much for me. The slack has been picked up so to speak. Still wish the production values were higher or that a super talented 2D team was on this show.

I think
Mercury showing back on the scene
was kind of stupid. Why come back now? You seriously risk the ruse being unraveled for no/little gain as far as I can tell :/

Personally I think the problems with being discovered is nothing compared to having the penny and pyrrha fight happen. If he didn't want to be discovered he would've bailed out. He's covering or stalling for Emerald so the fight can happen

coolasj19

Holy shit indeed. For those who can't watch it until tomorrow and want to know...

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 9
Penny gets cut in half by Pyrrah after Emerald makes her see an illusion making Penny seem more powerful then she is. Then shit hits the fan with Cinder hijacking the broadcast and making a proclamation about both sides preparing for war with each other, then Grim start attacking the stadium, Neon frees Torchwick and they take over an atlas ship and take out two others, Then fucking Adam and the White fang land along with more Grim.

Crazy. Still not sure what the deal was with...
Mercury stopping Ruby, that fight didn't amount to much.

But man they built that up really really well. I see why they put a disclaimer for kids watching this, and I think this is only the beginning.

Used that 30 day free sponsorship

Shit didn't just hit the fan, the fan was a jet engine and flaming shit flying everywhere and at supersonic speeds.

I would say Merc's job really was to make sure no one stopped Emerald. Ruby could've contacted someone or got to Emerald herself in which case Merc did his job

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Does anyone else finding themselves cheering for the villains after these past several episodes?

SO GOOD. :D

Fuuuuuck, everything is going to hell. Shit hit the fan, and then reverberated onto a million different fans across the planet.

Poor Penny :'(

naeS

Please spoiler tag your posts.

MAJOR SPOILERS:
Our first character death at the hands of Phyrra. RIP Penny. I would have never have guessed it had you asked me in Volume 1 or 2. I really really like that RWBY is evolving in this way. And it is all just beginning.

Wanderer5

What a pretty major turn of events heh.

Penny's demise.D: Man poor Pyrrha and Ruby too. And then Cinder comes in to take things up a notch and now there an all out battle lol. Kind of weird to see Roman locked up in one of the airships rather than well a prison on the ground, but guess Ironwood wanted him close by to question some more. Also Ozpin vs Cinder is likely to happen if it be just him defending the vault.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
I had fell way behind on Season 3. Caught up on all the episodes last night. It has definitely gotten VERY interesting. I like where they are going with this.

Crocodile

This GIF accurately reflects my opinion on the latest episode:

tumblr_inline_o146wlzDmL1rx37xa_500.gif

Penny is an android. She'll be fine in the end

Well that escalated quickly.

So Mercury was just keeping Ruby being until the match finished. Seeing how bad things got immediately after, I imagine at this point Mercury and Emerald don't need to be undercover anymore.

The match between Pyrrha and Penny ended up being more brutal than I thought. Emerald used her semblance to make Pyrrha think that Penny had activated Unlimited Blade Works so she countered with to much force. Hopefully Penny's memory is safe so if she is rebuilt, she can keep her current memories. Pyrrha's already fragile mental state is going to take a nosedive now.

Then immediately afterwards the negativity from the event calls the Grimm. The reason for Cinder hacking the tower is revealed. Controlling the broadcast to insight panic and doubt among the populace. Add the White Fang led by Adam, with Grimm and things are looking pretty bleak.

I have been wonder all season whether Torchwick still had a role to play or if he was going to be left to rot. Now I have my answer.

Ruby also took Penny's death pretty hard.

The wait for the next episode is going to be hard.

I really need to re-watch this show because i can´t remember much about it, especially after the last 4-5 episodes where the plot really kicked into gear.

So that was definitely the best one of these. Essential viewing, actually. His voices are a bit silly but I like em'.
What if Ozpin is the wizard? =O

The personalities of the maidens definitely make it seem that if team RWBY takes on the roles, it will definitely be:

Weiss - Winter
Ruby - Spring
Yang - Summer
Blake - Fall

naeS

So that was definitely the best one of these. Essential viewing, actually. His voices are a bit silly but I like em'.
What if Ozpin is the wizard? =O

Could be, or a relative. Evidence points to either.
His impersonations did make me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom