• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Sooooooo much better. I need to not worry so much. I think the RWBY crew seriously needs to work on their episode 2's.
Both of our favorite girls reaction to their older family members. Who were both pretty adorable in their reactions. A fight straight out of Dissidia. My top part was watching Vic do what he does and really raise the voice acting skill floor way way up. I've been waiting for long to watch all these people come together and better yet, watch theories get confirmed. AND PENNY WAS THERE YAY!!!!!

TrueBlue

That was a great episode. Winter and Qrow look like fun new characters, particularly the latter. Props to Vic Mignogna for his performance, he completely nailed it. Their fight scene was excellently done too, and is by far the best of the season as it stands. The humor and character interactions were on point too.

Really liked it, particularly after the slightly lacklustre last episode.

Shirke

Qrow really knows how to make a great first impression, being drunk and all that. Vic Mignogna really has great range for his voice, you really wouldn't think it was him. The fight was still slightly janky, such as whenever Qrow and Winter clashed and how sometimes their feet slides across the ground without moving. Winter making better use of the environment is great though.

While the fights aren't quite as good as Season 2's best (food fight and Phyra vs CDRL were amazing), overall it seems Season 3 is in good hands. Really liked Winter's use of verticality in her fight, felt very Monty-esque.

Now I just hope season 3 remains consistent. Season 2 started incredibly strong but face planted ifself in the final few episodes.

That was the best episode out of the three so far.

Qrow is awesome. I had no idea that was Vic Mignogna doing the voice acting for him.

The fight scene in this episode was better than last episode's but you can still feel the difference compared to Monty's work. It's very much like say another artist(s) taking over another artists work (I know Shane did work as well like the Pyrrha vs Mercury fight), in the sense that things 1may seem similar at a glance but there are various differences and idiosyncrasies that set them apart and that can be discerned.

If you want to compare there's this video from last page.

Monty tended to not only animate really creative ways for fights to unfold (which made them so fun to watch) but they also have these really tight close combat scenes where there would be a ton of interaction between the actors which were very reminiscent of martial arts films. I don't really feel that from what we've seen so far, I suspect that's a skill that he had that's not easily taught or even common amongst animators. I mean the closest things I can think of that are similar to Monty's work from game animations for example would probably be something like Onimusha 3: Demon Siege's CG opening (which was apparently choreographed by Donnie Yen which explains why it's so good I guess) and to a certain extent Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2.

I don't know. It's just something that's frequently on my mind when I watch the show. By no means am I saying that Shane and Dillon's work is inadequate or bad, just that ultimately I'm going to draw comparisons automatically which I suspect is something other people have done too. I'm still enjoying what we've seen so far (ep 3 is the best so far imo) and I'm looking forward to what they're working on next.

-Horizon-

That was a fun fight scene. Something the last 2 eps have been lacking. Also hey, its Vic. Could not tell at all that was him from the previous ep.

Gvitor

Great episode. Really enjoyed the new characters. And Cinder is setting up the tournament... I don't get the purpose, but we'll see...

And I'm doing an early bet that Winter and Qrow will get together by the end of the season.

coolasj19

That was the best episode out of the three so far.
Qrow is awesome. I had no idea that was Vic Mignogna doing the voice acting for him.
I don't know. It's just something that's frequently on my mind when I watch the show. By no means am I saying that Shane and Dillon's work is inadequate or bad, just that ultimately I'm going to draw comparisons automatically which I suspect is something other people have done too. I'm still enjoying what we've seen so far (ep 3 is the best so far imo) and I'm looking forward to what they're working on next.
The action is extremely different. Lots of quick movements but not a ton of fluidity. I think he's drawing more Dragon Ball Z than kungfu movies, y'know? Tons of teleporting and impossible feats. But they look cool. So it's awesome. My favorite probably most distinct moment that hasn't been done is when Winter is using the sparrows on Qrow and he just energy blasts out of it. That caught me seriously off guard. They're doing their on thing and if this is what we can expect during the best fights, I'm more than okay with that.

And the Monty comparisons will never end. It's just something that happens when the original creator isn't the one creating. I'm more happy that they apparently brought Qrow to life so damn well.
While the fights aren't quite as good as Season 2's best (food fight and Phyra vs CDRL were amazing), overall it seems Season 3 is in good hands. Really liked Winter's use of verticality in her fight, felt very Monty-esque.
Now I just hope season 3 remains consistent. Season 2 started incredibly strong but face planted ifself in the final few episodes.
It hasn't been since season 1 during Team RWBY's first fight that we've had the sort of wide open arena with lots of platforms set up. It was extremely refreshing. I can agree with the second half stories really falling flat. I want to believe that they've fixed that this time. But we won't know for another month and a half or something.
That was a fun fight scene. Something the last 2 eps have been lacking. Also hey, its Vic. Could not tell at all that was him from the previous ep.
There's been zero story in the first two episodes. Just 3 fights. I didn't realize I cared so much. But that's what made S2E3 so damn good. Story and lead up to an epic fight.

Qrow is freaking great. Easily the best character now. A lot of that ha to be just Vic being amazing. But his design, high charisma from always being drunk, and general smarts just elevate him. And how easily he seemed to be handling Winter with how he didn't even use his Scythe form weapon. He's nowhere near his cap.

And finally, some more of the characters just being themselves. Ruby talking with Qrow makes me smile sooooo much. Then there's the Cinder reveals. All that stuff I forgot I cared about.

Omg Penny. Yay.

naeS

Finally got around to watching the new episode. Qrow is best. His interaction with Ruby really shows how close they are. I liked the fight, first time seeing full Huntsmen/Huntresses duke it out.
Who is Autumn!?!? Cinder banned for match fixing.

Anbec7

While the comparision will never fade I really like where this is going Qrow has become one of my favorite character.
I want a team Ruby - Qrow fight scene

Seeing S3E4

Qrow continues to cement his position as favorite character.
Winter also gains several points.
Emerald can be legit scary with that semblance.
Mercury is dangerous.

Wanderer5

Episode 4

Ha ha cool to see how dangerous those two can be. Mercury freaking rocks. And what was up that illusion? Did a particular person butt in for a moment?:p Also overall after some bleh fights in Ep2, the fights has improve.

And aw Winter leaving already, just when her character became pretty good (I honestly wasn't sure of her last epi). Both the talk her and Qrow gave were pretty nice. Looks like Weiss summoned a sword that looks pretty similar to the one the knight use in her trailer heh

naeS

Episode 4 thoughts.

Good episode. Didn't expect such a landslide in the fight. Qrow is still best. Weiss going to make a move? If that's Mirror Mirror Pt. 2, give it to me.

That skater signed her death certificate with those lines.

That skater is a cat that has rainbows behind it....Nyan Cat shoutout?

naeS

Liked the episode. Hopefully we see the other members of
Team FNKY
. But, it was still only a filler episode of sorts. But I'm all in favor of more
Pyrrha

Liked the episode. Hopefully we see the other members of
Team FNKY
. But, it was still only a filler episode of sorts. But I'm all in favor of more
Pyrrha

Watch that last scene again, but pay attention to body language and facial expressions. That wasn't
Pyhrra
, it's
Neo

Wanderer5

Watch that last scene again, but pay attention to body language and facial expressions. That wasn't
Pyhrra
, it's
Neo

Or maybe Pyhrra is herself evil!:p Yeah that scene is just weird. If that Neo or even Pyhrra is possessed, I wonder how it came to be. Be interesting to see what Cinder has plan for Penny too.

Also eh the fight was alright, but would be nice see more teamwork really.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If that Neo or even Pyrrha is possessed, I wonder how it came to be.

A couple quotes come to mind:

"Add her to the list" from Cinder back in Volume 2 after Mercury scouted Phyrra's semblance. Whatever they have planned with her may be in action now.

"They're the ones responsible for Autumn's condition" from Qrow could also be related, perhaps whoever Autumn is was also taken over or compromised in a similar way?

Of course, this all depends on whether or not that's actually Pyrrha or Neo disguised under one of her illusions. She'd have to be confident in her abilities to be able to fool both Qrow and Ozpin.

Also should be noted that Emerald apparently has some sort of illusion abilitiy with her semblance as well give the match against Coco, so who knows if that's also related to all this.

naeS

You'd think the guys running the tournament would be on the lookout for that sort of thing though.

Or the network guys would see all this external access and last minutes changes to the match ups and biomes. It's almost like Cinder is running the tournament.

SoldnerKei

I would have liked more if this episode had animation as good as the previous one, some stuff felt off, like Weiss using her emblem-thingy-teleport, and yeah the lack of teamwork was a bummer, but then again Ruby is the one who comes up with teamwork strategies, at least I hope that Yang finally recognize that she shouldn't let her anger take the best of her.

I could have wished to see Weiss/Ruby team thou P:

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Or the network guys would see all this external access and last minutes changes to the match ups and biomes. It's almost like Cinder is running the tournament.

I meant more that, in a stadium full of hunters/huntresses and students being trained to be such, that the more experienced ones who should be capable of spotting something ajar invovling the field of battle would catch something like a 3rd party interfering in a match.

As for "last minute changes in the matchups," Cinder didn't change anything that was prescheduled - it was supposed to be randomized, she just setup the algorithm to specifically land with her intended result. To anyone else, it wouldn't appear anything is amiss. Same case with the environments, they're also supposed to be random.

The bigger quesiton is why hasn't anyone even suspect a network breach yet. If you know one of your command centers has been physically compromised but aren't sure what was the reason for it (never mind the lack of visual security surveillence), you'd think basic security protocol would be to assume your system's have been affected somehow and to shut everything down and rebuild your systems from sratch. Especially if the threat is so grave as everyone's been saying.

naeS

The bigger quesiton is why hasn't anyone even suspect a network breach yet. If you know one of your command centers has been physically compromised but aren't sure what was the reason for it (never mind the lack of visual security surveillence), you'd think basic security protocol would be to assume your system's have been affected somehow and to shut everything down and rebuild your systems from sratch. Especially if the threat is so grave as everyone's been saying.

Yeah, did they even investigate the break in at the CCT Tower. Must have been caught up in all the property damage.

Wanderer5

A 1v1 that been hinted a while back, yay.:p

Also I wonder
if Pyrrha (or Neo heh) is going to be shown something big, like a secret weapon or such. Like the way the last piece or two were going, it seems like Ozpin is leading her to something.

coolasj19

No seriously. Freaking Flint Cole. That's amazing. I need to watch the episodes yet again but it seems like we're digging into characters more than plots this season. By this time last season we already found the White Fang doing stuff. But now, we have Summoner Weiss. She's gonna come up big at an awesome time.

No seriously. Freaking Flint Cole. That's amazing. I need to watch the episodes yet again but it seems like we're digging into characters more than plots this season. By this time last season we already found the White Fang doing stuff. But now, we have Summoner Weiss. She's gonna come up big at an awesome time.

Summoner Weiss.

Summon that army of ice knight giants. Or she goes a step beyond and just summons the swords. She becomes like penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom