• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

That trailer was good. Looks like we're going to get loads of action, perhaps even more than we've seen in previous volumes.

Hey guys! I edit Free Play and I thought today's episode might be relevant to you all~

http://roosterteeth.com/episode/free-play-season-1-balloon-lunacy-free-play-21

Good to see that Miles and Kerry are in high spirits. I am beyond hyped for the first episode tomorrow.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Alright. 9 hours away. I'm gonna wake up, and RWBY better be on Crunchyroll. If it's not, I'm claiming a free 30 day Sponsership on Roosterteeth.com. Maybe I even repeat the process. Not because the prices went really high recently but because I pay Crunchyroll for a reason.

EDIT : Of course the site is down. Why wouldn't it be. Why did I think otherwise?

coolasj19

There were some many things wrong. I think the character models got a lot better but the actual animation just... didn't. I suppose a lot of it is just limitations in the environment. Maybe it's just that I remember RvB CG environments and I compare them. Something was off about the sound mix too. Very very odd start. I need to rewatch S2 to see if it's just me. For example
u8malNi.jpg

It seriously might be me though. I really need to watch it again. They seriously could have taken a few more weeks to start releasing the episodes though.

naeS

YES, RWBY is back. Loved it! Glad Ren is still there. Good choice by them.

There were some many things wrong. I think the character models got a lot better but the actual animation just... didn't. I suppose a lot of it is just limitations in the environment. Maybe it's just that I remember RvB CG environments and I compare them. Something was off about the sound mix too. Very very odd start. I need to rewatch S2 to see if it's just me. For example...
It seriously might be me though. I really need to watch it again. They seriously could have taken a few more weeks to start releasing the episodes though.

The screen you posted was the only thing that I noticed that was off.

coolasj19

YES, RWBY is back. Loved it! Glad Ren is still there. Good choice by them.
The screen you posted was the only thing that I noticed that was off.
The shots of people around the world. The crowds. Zoom out of the stadium. JPEG explosions. Then again, I've historically been hyper-critical of their graphics limitations and I know large scale shots are just gigantic obstacles. These gripes usually go away as I rewatch the episode. Kind of like right now.

u8malNi.jpg
Looks like they were using a drawing in the place of a character model, but unlike when they used drawings of Emerald and Mercury for the end-credit stinger of Volume 1, they didn't match the drawing to the style of the show. The over-rendered drawing made him look more like an environment asset, like perhaps a statue, instead of a character. If he was flat shaded, it would have looked just fine.

Thoughts after two viewings (Spoiler tagged since it's sponsor only day)

- Starting the volume off with Ruby taking some time to remember a family member who's passed was a nice touch. Hits you right in the feels when you think of the context going into the season.

-The action remains quick, creative, and has a great rhythm to it. It has always been the series' strongest point, and it remains on point here. We see a couple of great new weapon designs, but a few characters' arms seem a little dull by the standard this series has set.

-I love the design of the stadium, but I can't help but feel that hovering structure holding what appears to be tens of thousands of people is going to come crashing down soon.

-Neath Oum does a pretty good job as Ren. A bit deeper than Monty, but he's a growing boy. Not a jarring change, and his delivery is pretty on point.

-Neo is brutal. Blink and you'll miss her.

-As mentioned before, Taiyang seems visually out of place in his scene. His art was a bit over-rendered compared to the other, flat shaded characters. It made him look more like an environment asset than a character. That, and a couple of walks being unbalanced (which is probably a mocap artifact) are the only nitpicks I can find.

Overall, a great start to the new season. Can't wait to get into the story!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Thoughts after two viewings (Spoiler tagged since it's sponsor only day)

-Neo is brutal. Blink and you'll miss her.
Neo is best waifu

;P

Agreed with the comments about certain scenes looking off. But I generally try to ignore those for this series given the production schedules and budget. Considering my previous background, I really have to force myself to do that with any CG/animation piece because otherwise I will subconsciously spot any minor issue in a shot, lol.

Just finished watching the first episode so I'll list some points below.

- This episode is even longer than the ones in the second volume! 17 minutes, that's quite a bit more over the 12 minute or so IIRC average set by last volume. I hope they can maintain this.

- I love the opening a lot now. It's a bit different in tone to the others but if you give it a few listens it easily fits and has its own strengths imo.

- The scene at the beginning with Ruby talking at her Mom's grave was touching. It's pretty clear this was done as a sort of send off for Monty considering how much he meant to the team and RoosterTeeth as a whole.

- The group fight was a cool thing to have in the first episode. I know there was worries that there would be a decrease in the quality of the fight scenes but I think they will be just fine. As far as I know Monty's friend (Shane Newville) is still on the team (he did stuff in previous volumes like the Pyrrha vs Mercury fight for example).

- The backgrounds looked really good in comparison to previous volumes I think. The only noticeable thing that looked off was Ruby's dad, like Jorok mentioned the shading is off so he looks like he's part of the background.

- Lastly, I can't wait for next week's episode!

Oh man I enjoyed episode 1 so much

Can't wait for next week. Sort of disappointed that it sounds like JNPR won't be advancing, they're the best team after all

And Neo remains the best of her team. Still eh on cinder, she's a little too generic for me

Gvitor

I feel really stupid that I only realized the black haired girl was Neo after reading it here.

Really liked the episode, hopefully the season can keep 15min as the average per episode.

The character designs just keep getting better and better. Which kinda sucks in a weird way; I wish literally any of the teams we've seen (besides Team Bully) were the main characters rather than Team RWBY. I just find RWBY so fucking boring and vanilla.

Anko

Still reserving judgement for the most part but I can't help but feel like the fights are a lot simpler and slower.

Still reserving judgement for the most part but I can't help but feel like the fights are a lot simpler and slower.

Yeah, that's something that we're going to have to get used to. If you look at Monty's previous stuff like gunchuks and this other scene I found on reddit he has a fast and meticulous flow to his fight scenes. There's a lot going on in just 5-10 seconds like in the gunchuks +knife fight scene for example. Shane did the Pyrrha vs Mercury fight IIRC so if you want an example of what to expect more of that is one thing you can look at.

Are we going to get Monty calibre choreography? I don't think we will simply because you would need someone who has the same experience, influence and skill as Monty. Monty stands out because his style is signature to him. What I'm more or less saying is we won't get any more Monty, but we will get more Shane (and Dillon Gu) which is still enjoyable to watch even if they don't have the same style as Monty.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah, that's something that we're going to have to get used to. If you look at Monty's previous stuff like gunchuks and this other scene I found on reddit he has a fast and meticulous flow to his fight scenes. There's a lot going on in just 5-10 seconds like in the gunchuks +knife fight scene for example. Shane did the Pyrrha vs Mercury fight IIRC so if you want an example of what to expect more of that is one thing you can look at.

Are we going to get Monty calibre choreography? I don't think we will simply because you would need someone who has the same experience, influence and skill as Monty. Monty stands out because his style is signature to him. What I'm more or less saying is we won't get any more Monty, but we will get more Shane (and Dillon Gu) which is still enjoyable to watch even if they don't have the same style as Monty.

There are definitely people capable of that sort of choreography, but they're mainly in the live action sector. The handful that are in animation are likely employed at the major houses, either feature animation (e.g. Pixar, Dreamworks) or CG/VFX (e.g. ILM, WETA).

There are definitely people capable of that sort of choreography, but they're mainly in the live action sector. The handful that are in animation are likely employed at the major houses, either feature animation (e.g. Pixar, Dreamworks) or CG/VFX (e.g. ILM, WETA).

Oh, you mean like the good martial arts movie choreographers?

I remember Monty saying that two of his big influences were kung fu movies and anime so it makes sense that you could find those kinds of skilled people where those are made. But for the scope of the situation here, I don't think it's possible for them to get any people like that.

One thing I forgot in my initial notes that jumped out- it was a little weird using "Caffeine" as the music for the RWBY/ ABRN fight, since it's Team CFVY's theme. It would be like playing the Danny Elfman Batman theme over a fight between Superman and Darkseid.

coolasj19

I am not on board with this whole Saturday thing. I want it back on Thursday. The wait. Is. Too. Long.

I keep wanting to format my reviews and notes but I keep procrastinating it. So here it is.

Yang knows something.
Why do y'all think JNPR is gonna lose?
Cinder popped popcorn with her hands?
Emerald is basically Peridot =P. I love that she doesn't hate the team. She just doesn't like them. How can they be so happy is so damn funny. Her VA also stepped it up a notch.
Blake has emotions!
I can imagine why they pick Yang and Weiss. Yang has comeback potential and Weiss is apparently an -ara level Black Mage now.
What about Ozpin sounds like Uncle Qrow? What? You can't just drop that stuff.

naeS

I assume Yang and Raven had that conversation at the end of Volume 2.
Cinder knows who the strongest threats are, so if they interfered in some way, it's to get the strongest members to go through so they can take them out for good.
Blake salivating over that food was hilarious.

Nora is so good. Really 'meh' about Blake's apparent crush on Sun. Looks like we'll be meeting Winter and Qrow (officially) next episode.

Mulgrok

just a thought about episode 2:

The JNPR fight was very dull and uninspired. They could have cut that from the episode and I would not miss it.

naeS

Opinion on episode 2.

The only thing I did not like is that every fight ended with a 1 hit knockout to 3 or more fighters. I enjoyed the fights a lot, but the endings were meh.

Wanderer5

Eh each fight had their moments, but overall wasn't a big fan of them.
Too bad Scarlet and especially Sage got screw. And then Jaune continues to be cringe worthy, but least Nora got some nice spotlight, through...

Opinion on episode 2.

The only thing I did not like is that every fight ended with a 1 hit knockout to 3 or more fighters. I enjoyed the fights a lot, but the endings were meh.

Yeah, last week it was alright, but for this to be repeated 2 more times now, it becoming quite dull lol. NDGO must of had their brains shut down too.:p

Also Qrow is at a bar, that is call Crowbar, lol really... And sweet, Winter has arrived.

naeS

Yeah, last week it was alright, but for this to be repeated 2 more times now, it becoming quite dull lol. NDGO must of had their brains shut down too.:p

I hope NDGO return to play a bigger role. If I backed their creation and that was the only screen time they got, I'd be disappointed.

RedEther

I actually thought they were gonna delay volume 3 to next year so I'm pleasantly surprised to see they didn't.

Now time to watch episode one :)

coolasj19

Of course she knows something, she
talked to Raven at the end of last season, who knows what she said
I'm waiting for this stuff to come back and take some of the attention off of the fights. I always like a less is more approach. S2E4 fight was just gold but it's also because it took four episodes to get there. But we may be doing that soon thanks to Qrow and Winter antagonism. This season has been super light on non-fight character moments and I really miss them.

Watching the AfterBuzzTV Stream- sounds like no new episode this week on account of the Extra Life stream, but they did tease the RWBY team taking over the stream and perhaps even showing some Grimm Eclipse at 10 am.

naeS

Watching the AfterBuzzTV Stream- sounds like no new episode this week on account of the Extra Life stream, but they did tease the RWBY team taking over the stream and perhaps even showing some Grimm Eclipse at 10 am.

Super busy this weekend anyways. I'll look for that Grimm Eclipse footage though, I really want to play that. Thanks Jorok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom