• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
so no one else is watching? just got to the part where they launched students through the air and Ruby see Jaune stuck to a tree

edit: nvm, one person is.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
so no one else is watching? just got to the part where they launched students through the air and Ruby see Jaune stuck to a tree
edit: nvm, one person is.
They actually decided not to show a few people's becauSe of spoilers.

naeS

Starting Volume 2!

Now I definitely feel like the lady that saves Yang during the fight with Neo is her mom. The hair and eyes are so similar.

was nice seeing all the episodes stitched together instead of intro/outro every ten minutes like on crunchyroll. was great to rewatch it

coolasj19

was nice seeing all the episodes stitched together instead of intro/outro every ten minutes like on crunchyroll. was great to rewatch it
It definitely alleviates a lot a lot of the pacing problems. A lot of the Juane dislike in the first season was probably cause by not only not getting to see Team RWBY for a month and a half but wading through 3-6 minute episodes to get there.

Jack, at the RT panel at PAX East, said Volume 3 is in production, no date yet though.

On of the things that came across a lot in the aftershow interviews last year was that Monty would talk to anyone involved in the show in great length about the plot, world, and characters, so there should be enough information to reconstruct his vision.

As for the action going forward, here's a Mega Man X fight animation by Shane Newville, Monty's number two guy, from December of 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F991RSOU00Y

Its probably going to take longer to figure things out, but the show will go on.

New blog post from Gray:

http://roosterteeth.com/members/journal/entry.php?id=3318124

The Future of RWBY
Hello everyone-

Given the excitement and questions that came out of PAX East over the weekend (sorry we couldn't be there!), maybe now would be a good time to talk briefly about the future of RWBY's production.

RWBY Volume 3 will indeed premiere this year. While the animation crew is hard at work on RvB13, RWBY is returning to the early stages of pre-production. Kerry and Miles are getting ready to dive into the scripts, and I'm talking to the guys about pre-viz. Meanwhile, Shane's already choreographing a new fight sequence (Argh - want to tease this matchup so much! Let's just say Yang intends to teach someone a well-deserved lesson), and our tenacious tech team is getting the production pipeline ready.

For those wondering, Monty was heavily involved in shaping the future of the world of Remnant. His story ideas will live on, and you will also be able to see some of the animation he'd begun working on for Volume 3. The team has known for some time the direction in which the next volumes were headed, and Rooster Teeth is committed to bringing these tales to you.

So, while it's too early to go into any further detail, be assured that the adventures of Ruby Rose and her friends will continue as planned. 'Til then, please keep sharing your writing, art and photos. They mean so much, now more than ever. They keep us going, and we love seeing them as much as we love sharing our stories with you.

Warm regards,
Gray, Kerry, and Miles

P.S. We'd also like to take this opportunity to announce that, as we speak, AH is putting the finishing touches on "Let's Build: The Musical Motion Picture." Ask Jack about it!

Calcium

Banned
I think the RWBY team has more than enough material from Monty to continue the show in a way that he would see fitting. I think it was an Internet Box podcast where Michael told a story about Monty talking to him for hours on end about anime when they were initially getting to know each other. Based on that conversation I'm sure Monty and the RWBY crew had tons of long discussions about the future of the show and where he saw it going. I'm interested to see what they come up with.

coolasj19

Excellent. I'll just say it now because I don't know when I'm gonna watch the commentaries again. But basically what it boils down to is, Monty didn't do much writing. He had the ideas and directions and the writers we already know did their thing. That won't change. What will change is the actions scenes Monty dedicated all his time to. I don't have the breakdown on who did what because I still need to watch the S2 commentaries but I do know that Emeralds fight scene in the final episode wasn't him. I'll do a breakdown coming one day. But I wanna do it right.

I wouldn't worry too much about RWBY. It'll be different, but it'll be the same RWBY we all know and love.

8eJGOlW.jpg

Ruby: Saori Hayami
Weiss: Yoko Hikasa
Blake: Yu Shimamura
Yang: Ami Koshimizu

From what I've been following, Miles and Kerry are in the writing phase. Given that, this may become a Fall show instead of the summer show its been so far.

X-Ray and Vav is in the voice recording phase, so that will likely be the next thing we see out of RT animation.

naeS

Good, the wait is killing me. Hopefully we see or hear something from RTX.

Got a new car recently, chose red, named her Ruby.

Volume 3 has gone into production!

http://roosterteeth.com/news/entry.php?id=6083995

Greetings from Beacon-

A few months ago, Rooster Teeth committed that we would indeed continue to tell the adventures of Ruby Rose and her friends. And today we're very happy to pass you a little note letting you know RT is making good on our promise.

RWBY Volume 3 has gone into production!

We've assembled a wonderful crew, bringing back so many of the people who have worked on the show the last two years, as well as some new faces who helped raise the game on RvB13. These last couple months, Miles and Kerry have been writing a set of 12 chapters, working from the outline they developed with Monty. We've been working closely with our tech team to develop some new enhancements to the look and feel of the show, as we did going into Volume 2. Our art and modeling team has been designing the new locations and characters we'll be introducing (including some we've been hinting at for a while). We've heard Ruby and friends talking to us for the first time this year, as we've pulled the core cast into the booth to record the first few episodes, and I've already begun assembling the episodes' edits. And now, starting this week, our first animators have rolled off from their final scenes on RvB to return to working on RWBY.

I'd also like to announce that Kerry will be stepping up to take on directing responsibilities for this volume of RWBY, and Miles and I will have his back as co-directors. Kerry did a lot of heavy lifting the last couple years working with Monty as the show's co-director, and we felt it was natural for him to make his debut as a full director on this production. I'm sure you can imagine the challenges we are working through this year, so please do wish him and the crew well.

There are many other happenings in the world of Remnant coming your way soon! Warner Brothers Japan has announced the first four members of their voice cast ( check out rwby.jp ) and they will have more announcements on that front very soon, including more casting (the list is pretty incredible) and the release date of the Japanese version. The development team for the RWBY video game is growing and work is accelerating. And there's a variety of more Volume 3 news to come -- including some exciting casting as well as this year's release schedule.

The return to the world of RWBY is bittersweet, but mostly it's a relief. To see and hear the story come alive again, to reassemble the production family and see how everyone wants to do their very best for the show has been both inspiring and comforting. We hope that when you get to watch these new episodes later this year, you feel the same way. We're looking forward to being back in Remnant with you.

Hope you've been well,
Gray

coolasj19

This show is bittersweet, and I'll always miss Monty, but I'm excited to see where the new team takes things.
Considering Monty mostly did animation and his story input was at the most "Hey, change that to this". I think we'll be getting the same RWBY we all know and love. Any worry should be directed towards season 4 and onwards. But they apparently talked about all that so much to everyone in the office it shouldn't be a problem. I still need to do my breakdown of who did what fight scenes in S2. There's some that might surprise you.

Veelk

Banned
What saddens me is that I don't think Monty ever got to do the fight scenes he always wanted to do in the series. It's actually been a while since I went through the series, but I think the giant bird/scorpion fight is still the best one they've had in terms of both choreography and narrative power, as that is the fight that solidified RWBY as a team. Ever since then, it's mostly been set up for when Cinder decides to get off her ass and do shit and the fights have been either low key or just actiony fanservice. I never felt any of it matched up to his Dead Fantasy and Haloid work though, in terms of choreography.

His best work was ahead of him. We can only hope the new guys do his series justice.

coolasj19

We have no reason to expect RWBY Season 3 to premier at RTX, right? I'm deciding whether or not to buy a ticket. Leaning really heavily to no though. None of my friends want to go and I could really save the money.

It was almost disturbingly difficult not to find something exorbitantly lewd.

They're probably not far enough into production to have an episode. They'll probably premiere the new intro and maybe a scene or tow, but not a full episode.

naeS

Dangit Cool, I see new activity... Jorok was the last poster. Got me excited. Grrrrrrr.

I really hope there is something. I have been looking forward to RTX.

I've seen his videos before. Looking forward to what he can do on RWBY.

Has anyone else given any thought as to what they will do with Monty's character in the show? Not really sure what they could do that would seem appropriate.

Veelk

Banned
If anyone's questioning Rooster Teeth's ability to maintain the quality of the action, they should check out today's Red vs Blue:

http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=11561&carousel=1&cid=1

Can't say I share your enthusiasm. The combat is well done for what it is, but the way it mixes with music, it goes more for an ongoing tension sort of feel, whereas Monty Oum's were about bombast and epicness. Syncing up to music for this is vital, and this doesn't do that. It's a good enough creation on it's own, but it wouldn't be a good fit for what Monty did.

YouTube animator DillonGoo has joined Rooster Teeth as an animator on RWBY volume 3. You can see a tribute project he's working on called "Project Monty" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0nCkfeX69Y

Hopefully this guy is better. His early work isn't bad, but also not completely up to snuff. But, then he doesn't look like he's worked with an actual budget and team before, so we'll see.

Monty had a particular style that I can say I haven't seen anyone else able to replicate. I think it's why the videos he did on his own before RoosterTeeth became so popular, because they were unlike anything else. Shane can do some cool stuff like the Pyrrha vs Mercury fight, but I don't think we're going to get to that Monty tier again in terms of fights for the 3rd season.

Going in with that expectation I think is natural considering the circumstances, still I am excited to see what they come up with.

naeS

Monty's brother will be voicing Lie Ren in the next Volume. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Vic Mignogna are voicing
Winter Schnee
and
Qrow
respectively. That's awesome.

And I want that poster.

coolasj19

There is a panel at 1PM tomorrow for RWBY. You going Cool?
Will watch on YouTube Live. Maybe if I can get a solo ticket for just that day and everything works out. I'll be in Austin hanging out anyway.
Poster from the panel. The Arena setting seems to imply the tournament will play a big role this season:
CL05tnaUEAALBnG.png
Weiss, why you facing backwards.
I don't like this.
I'm also going to buy this poster.
Monty's brother will be voicing Lie Ren in the next Volume.
And I want that poster.
That's sweet.

Crocodile

Monty's brother will be voicing Lie Ren in the next Volume. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Vic Mignogna are voicing
Winter Schnee
and
Qrow

And I want that poster.

Woah, it seems more and more big name VA talent is coming to this show. Neat.

Winter Schnee
and
Qrow

And I want that poster.

I just watched Marry Elizabeth McGlynn play DnD over the last two weeks too. Nice.

That's pretty cool news. I still think of Monty immediately upon seeing anything RWBY related.

Getting Monty's brother to voice his character sounds like a good decision. I wonder how he feels about it, I mean getting to voice your brother's character in his own creation. I can't help but imagine that it must feel a bit surreal, regardless I'm looking forward to the result.

Wanderer5

Poster from the panel. The Arena setting seems to imply the tournament will play a big role this season:

CL05tnaUEAALBnG.png

I sure hope we going see the tournament.:p Very nice poster there. I like it more than volume 2.

Also good that they didn't retire Lie Ren, and it pretty cool that Monty's brother is going to do the VA.

The RWBY Wiki is now featuring concept art of Winter and Qrow:

Winter_Schnee.png

http://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/Winter_Schnee

Qrow_rtx2k15_low_res.png

http://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/Qrow

Also, a new team called ABRN (Auburn)
http://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/ABRN

Winter Schnee
and
Qrow

And I want that poster.

Elizabeth Maxwell is voicing
Winter
, according to Gray's post on Rooster Teeth. A different Major Kusanagi.

Copy/Pasting this summary from RoseMaryM on the Rooster Teeth forums:
http://roosterteeth.com/careers/ind...als/topic/2243543?page=7957#paginated-results

RWBY RTX PANEL 2015 STREAM RECAP
Warning: This is literally what I wrote when liveblogging to Jara and Reeve via Skype because they couldn't see the stream, also I'm sorry for shitty screenshots but I had to watch at 360p quality because Youtube doesn't allow livestreaming to Germany and I had to use a Proxy):

So the panel started with a moment of silence for Monty and ohg od I fee so sad and emotional right now.
Miles: "And then he would've shouted at us for wasting time. To Monty Oum!"
Oh no Miles is so close to crying and Kerry too an doh god
They are talking about a Booth they set up called the "inspiration booth" which showcases Monty's art and oh god poor miles and Kerry and oh god

They showed a Grimm Eclipse Trailer.
(Here's a few gifs of it)
http://roselysium.tumblr.com/post/126115257232/agentcoralina-the-new-rwby-video-game

Miles: "Like.. Blake has this cat move! *makes motion*"
Kerry: *looks at miles*"...WHY?"

Oh btw the Ruby Figure pre-orders are being shipped to RT now apparently and they wil soon be sent to the customers. (if I understood correctly)
Also all the RT figures of JNPR they showed a picture of them all together and each of them is facing out and it looks really fucking sweet.

OMG NEW SWEET RWBY POSTER HOL Y SHIT
(Screenshot of new Poster )
http://36.media.tumblr.com/b459a704ad1e0f8b219d62767de257ca/tumblr_nsqc7ePpIA1s5vdkmo1_1280.jpg

Arryn: "Blake is just not a funny person and it was difficult to voice her being funny"

Then they showed something for the People at the Panel only. Intermission on the stream for 10 minutes. I assume they showed an Episode Teaser of sorts because Miles mentioned that there was voiceacting and stuff.

Also next season is about the Tournament and the are showing concept art of the arena ovo And the Festival held at Beacon.
"The fighting stage is able to transform into different bioms such a Fire and Ice, there's also grass and mountains and a lot more." "There are dust crystals in the arena" "it's Similar to the Pokemon Stage in Super smash bros"
Oh more concept art , There are fairgrounds and it looks super pretty
( Arena Concept arts 1 / 2)
https://40.media.tumblr.com/e927b4328f247a958fb602c2005627d6/tumblr_nsq6q5lbjO1u1q3tjo4_1280.jpg
https://41.media.tumblr.com/2745b6799697c13667da66343daebefd/tumblr_nsq6q5lbjO1u1q3tjo5_500.jpg

( Fairgrounds Concept Art )
https://41.media.tumblr.com/23858b51abce5117f2f0ca73648c70d5/tumblr_nsq6q5lbjO1u1q3tjo1_1280.jpg

WINTER, WEISS's older sister!!OH MY god
She's named by Elizabeth smthsmth (I didn't catch her last name wah )
Miles: "So this is Winter Schnee, she's a babe and I love her!"
Kerry made an innuendo joke about Winter being of age omg (He said: "Well, she's not 17 and a fully trained Huntress." )
( Winter Schnee Concept Art )
https://36.media.tumblr.com/303e9de3c0ed3e848eb184b987703208/tumblr_nsq6q5lbjO1u1q3tjo2_500.jpg

QROW
Ruby and Yang's uncle omgomg
Btw, Qrow's Voice actor is Vic Mignogna OvO So the guy who voiced Ed in FMA
(Qrow Concept Art)
https://36.media.tumblr.com/52d7a9e78ed4796fa74b06ea31b7950f/tumblr_nsq6q5lbjO1u1q3tjo3_400.jpg

Ren will be voiced by one of Monty's Brothers omg I think I'm gonna cr y because this is an amazing solution and oh god
"We wanted to keep it in the family"
They're gonna show another scene/storyboard but the stream's not allowed to see it.

New Team! (Team ABRN)
They will be in the Tournament OvO
( Team ABRN Concept Art 1 / 2 )
https://40.media.tumblr.com/e5d21e495b595f9015cf7dca864aa799/tumblr_nsq74tFWxC1tudavlo1_500.png
https://40.media.tumblr.com/fee46c48e20c839b856b9dca1680a3b1/tumblr_nsq74tFWxC1tudavlo2_500.png

Quick QnA!
"Will we see more about Raven this season?" - Miles: "NO spoiler questions! Great start! "

"Will you continue to make decision to keep RWBY for a younger audience?" - "We will try our best to keep it for a broad audience."

"Will we get an update about the LGBTQ+ characters?" - Kerry: "stay tuned!"

"Will you give the characters more weapons and transformations?" - Kerry and miles: "This would certainly be cool if that happens!""Will Neo be a mute character?" - Kerry: "We have made a decision."

Barb: "BLAKE IT MY ONE TRUE LOVE!" (in relation to something else said but I didn't catch it on time)

"Is RWBY An anime" - Miles: "Look man. Some people say one thing , other people say other things." Lindsay: "RWby is it's own thing so yeeah."

"Can we have curvy ladies in RWBY? Because we had chubbier guys?" - Miles: "Yeah no absolutely! Remnant is a world jut like any other"

OMG a question just blew Barbs mind.
"Would you rather only talk in puns for the rest of your life and have everyone hate you OR talk normal and have everyone love you?" Barb: "I think I'm alread doing the first one XD"

Gray: "I like your costume!" Guy: "I like your face"

Some question about Jaune and Pyrrha (I think it was something like "What would you like to say to Jaune" : Miles: "SHES INTO YOU UNDERSTAND IT."
Barbs addition: "Also: Hardcore makeout session"

"How will Jaune's Aura develop next session? Is it gonna be beigger?" - Miles: "It's not the size that matters! *more innuendos and dick jokes*"

"when will you guys cosplay everyone and make a live action thing ? "
Kerry: "Once I grow 6 inches" Lindsay: "I need to shrink, let's switch"
Lindsay: "I'd totally like to see Kerry as Ruby"

New team called: Team FNKY apparently? (Miles: "You're gonna LOVE Team Funky!" )
Also someone came in a Grimm cosplay
http://i.imgur.com/ZvIsq4Z.png

So yeah that's basically all that happened.

coolasj19

Copy/Pasting this summary from RoseMaryM on the Rooster Teeth forums:
http://roosterteeth.com/careers/ind...als/topic/2243543?page=7957#paginated-results
Thanks for this. I do still want to watch the panel. Anyone have the YouTube link for the recorded video? It's an amazing hassle searching through it all.
Oh sorry, I was looking at reddit and just searched Kusanagi voice actress.
And on this note, I think there's something to be noted about them going really out of house for their VA and leaving some part of that charm that makes RWBY, RWBY behind. But then again, uhhhhh Vic is a badass VA. One case where quality wins over charm. Plus, there's still a bunch of other characters for the RT crew to fill in.

naeS

And on this note, I think there's something to be noted about them going really out of house for their VA and leaving some part of that charm that makes RWBY, RWBY behind. But then again, uhhhhh Vic is a badass VA. One case where quality wins over charm. Plus, there's still a bunch of other characters for the RT crew to fill in.

I agree with this somewhat. But then again, I don't know half of the people RT has anymore. So as far as I know when I'm watching it, they all are from RT.

Anko

The trailer for the Japanese dubbed RWBY from C88 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziz6GGwu35g

We get to hear the 4 heroines speak in the trailer. Am digging the dub. I am surprised that I find Hikasa Yoko as Weiss okay. In fact, I like her as Weiss quite a lot.

And new cast announcement:
Jaune - Shimono Hiro
Nora - Suzaki Aya
Pyrrha - Toyoguchi Megumi
Ren - Saitou Souma
Ozpin - Inoue Kazuhiko
Glynda - Asano Masumi
Cardin - Kimura Subaru
Penny - Han Megumi
Roman - Miki Shinichiro

Status
Not open for further replies.