• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's Monty Twitter Pre-Production Update:

Sun's gunchuck rig has been greatly simplified, which Monty implies will lead to the gunchucks getting more action in Volume 3:

@montyoum said:
https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/533798276995117056

Animating sun's gunchuck's last year was been one of the mostly stupidly complex rigs I slapped over a year earlier.

B2huWVQCEAAXJbX.jpg

https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/533798863572713472

Next years will be so much simpler I'lll actually be able to make some new animations for once.

B2hvBXdCQAAHCSX.jpg

I just hope push off the guy that tries to do all the serious writing. The story is what killed me the last season, and all that poor writing -_-

Yeah, that's why I'm glad to see visual improvements because the story is a lost cause unless they start over.

But it's still enjoyable to watch, in action scene, so I hope the graphics keep getting better.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
RWBY Volume 2 Soundtrack and Score is now available. Digital only right now.
https://twitter.com/RoosterTeeth/status/540550476601622528
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/album/id947964154
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/music...ck_Score?id=Bwp7a6mhbvxnsr24rn36gd4ztx4&hl=en
Listen to the Soundtrack portion, my favorite so far is a toss between Die and Sacrifice. But I really like Boop. Nora and Ren <3!
Was just about to put this up!
I have it on loop while I'm playing Destiny.
I'm all over the same songs right now. I was going to complain about there not being enough gimmick songs but the remixes are good enough for me :)

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Finally got caught up on RWBY after being occupied with some personal stuff for so long. I'll probably give a lengthy review sometime later as I still need time to process all of this but I do have one thing to say:

That seriously can't be Yang's mom. She looks waaaaay to similar to her, maybe some long lost twin or something? lol

TrueBlue

Just marathoned the whole series. Really enjoying it thus far - the majority of the fight scenes and the music are freakin' fantastic.

I'll give a full write-up when I have some more free time, but I'm eagerly anticipating Volume 3.

naeS

Just marathoned the whole series. Really enjoying it thus far - the majority of the fight scenes and the music are freakin' fantastic.

I'll give a full write-up when I have some more free time, but I'm eagerly anticipating Volume 3.

Sweet, glad you liked it. I really love the music as well, hits both sides with the metal/rock and pop. Fight scenes too, the end of Painting the Town is just tops.

I'm planning on re-watching season 2 at some point. It's what I did with season 1 and I think things flow better when you can just watch it all in sequence instead of per week.

It's okay. It's okay. Just watch them over again. Don't forget the trailers. You only have like... 6-ish months to go.

With RTX pushed back, its probably going to be at least August for volume 3. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do another round of trailers.

Show is addicting as hell, even with it being super flawed.

Season 1 was the perfect mix of impressive and janky to inspire me to work on my own animation a bit more.

Screen Play was abruptly put "On Haitus" this week and JJ seems to no longer be with the company. Depending on whether the split was amicable or not, I'm wondering if we'll see Mercury getting a Leonardo-style throat wound next seaason.

naeS

listen to the soundtrack on repeat. listen to the score, and imagine the scenes that the music was in

All the time lol

August, that's awful. I really want to make the trip to RTX this year. I'm going to PAX East in March, maybe they will have some new stuff there.

iosefe

i must have missed it, but i recall during the school dance before the big number, Jaune says he's fulfilling a promise, and then puts on a dress.

when was the promise?

Raider745

I binged watched all the episodes on Crunchyroll over my time off from work over new year's day and enjoyed it immensely. I really liked the food fight episode and the all the character introduction episodes. Cannot wait to see more.

naeS

i must have missed it, but i recall during the school dance before the big number, Jaune says he's fulfilling a promise, and then puts on a dress.

when was the promise?

A couple episodes before, can't remember which one, Pyrrha told Jaune that she did not have a date to the dance. Jaune said he would go in a dress if she did not get a date to the dance.

coolasj19

With RTX pushed back, its probably going to be at least August for volume 3. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll do another round of trailers.
Season 1 was the perfect mix of impressive and janky to inspire me to work on my own animation a bit more.
Screen Play was abruptly put "On Haitus" this week and JJ seems to no longer be with the company. Depending on whether the split was amicable or not, I'm wondering if we'll see Mercury getting a Leonardo-style throat wound next seaason.
Your own animation you say? May we see?

Fine! 7-ish months. UGH. And just like last year I'm going to go like 3 hours early because goddammit more than half the reason I've gone the last couple of years. In fact, I was so damn disappointed that I missed the showing in 2013 it showed on my face and my friend told me not to worry about paying him back for the ticket.
I binged watched all the episodes on Crunchyroll over my time off from work over new year's day and enjoyed it immensely. I really liked the food fight episode and the all the character introduction episodes. Cannot wait to see more.
Introduction episodes? The trailers?
I'm planning on re-watching season 2 at some point. It's what I did with season 1 and I think things flow better when you can just watch it all in sequence instead of per week.
You'll be shocked how well it flows this time around. They took the RvB approach and made it a movie instead of mini-sodes.
Show is addicting as hell, even with it being super flawed.
Addicting. Is it addicting when I watch these episodes whenever I'm bored or for background? I used to do the same with RvB to a much more extreme extent.

Hmmmm. How about a group re-watch sometime? The next significant RWBY date is Valentines day for the Black Trailer release day.

Seeing this thread pop up reminds me I'm so far behind! Good thing the episodes are real short. xD

This show is absolutely adorable though. Especially Ruby.

Your own animation you say? May we see?

It's a parody of the classic superhero snack cake ads of the silver age:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/644687

I hadn't animated anything more complex than camera swings over my models since college, and this was my first crack at lip sync. I'm working on bringing the characters into something with a little more action and story, and currently rebuilding the character models around a Maya HumanIK skeleton so that they will more readily accept motion capture data. Hoping to have more ready in the spring.

naeS

You'll be shocked how well it flows this time around. They took the RvB approach and made it a movie instead of mini-sodes.

Gonna have to watch V2 this weekend then while I'm playing FFXIV.

Hmmmm. How about a group re-watch sometime? The next significant RWBY date is Valentines day for the Black Trailer release day.

It was the White Trailer on Valentine's Day. But yes, let's do a group re-watch.

I hadn't animated anything more complex than camera swings over my models since college, and this was my first crack at lip sync. I'm working on bringing the characters into something with a little more action and story, and currently rebuilding the character models around a Maya HumanIK skeleton so that they will more readily accept motion capture data. Hoping to have more ready in the spring.

Thanks for sharing, will watch during my lunch break.

Pejo

Gold Member
Sorry for the belated bump here, but I just found out about this series yesterday, and have been hooked.

Just a few thoughts, the soundtrack is freaking AMAZING. I'm actually going to purchase it, which is something very rare as far as me and soundtracks.

The fight scenes are top notch, but then when I found out who Monty Oum was, I was hardly surprised. Dead Fantasy was always a guilty pleasure back in the early YouTube days.

Anyways, i'm about halfway through volume 1, and the acting is pretty crap, but that's ok because the art and the fight choreography is top notch. Really cool show. I'm not sure how I missed this back when the OT was created.

coolasj19

Sorry for the belated bump here, but I just found out about this series yesterday, and have been hooked.
Just a few thoughts, the soundtrack is freaking AMAZING. I'm actually going to purchase it, which is something very rare as far as me and soundtracks.
The fight scenes are top notch, but then when I found out who Monty Oum was, I was hardly surprised. Dead Fantasy was always a guilty pleasure back in the early YouTube days.
Anyways, i'm about halfway through volume 1, and the acting is pretty crap, but that's ok because the art and the fight choreography is top notch. Really cool show. I'm not sure how I missed this back when the OT was created.
Don't apologize for posting! Post a lot! We welcome conversation especially in the off season. Let us know what you think in the end of season 1. Red Like Roses II is definitely my favorite of the S1 OST.

So I was on Crunchyroll to watch Log Horizon and after I caught up on that I was clicking around and saw RWBY. Decided to give it a shot and.. was initially thrown by the art style. But I didn't have anything else I really wanted to check for so I gave it a shot and ended up enjoying it.

After talking to a friend who is honestly an RT Stan (self admitted) I confirmed that it has pretty much zero blood and no fanservice.. so I started the series over and watched it with my son (he's young). We both dig it. He's not all that interested in the dialogue aspects but loves the fights and I enjoy all of it (even the wife chuckled at some of the dialogue parts that she saw) so I'm happy to have come across it.

Looking forward to the new season. My kiddo and I will be watching ep to ep now.

RedEther

I started this show around three days ago and finished the first two seasons in about a couple hours. I enjoyed every bit of it, now I wait patiently for volume 3 :/

naeS

So I was on Crunchyroll to watch Log Horizon and after I caught up on that I was clicking around and saw RWBY. Decided to give it a shot and.. was initially thrown by the art style. But I didn't have anything else I really wanted to check for so I gave it a shot and ended up enjoying it.

After talking to a friend who is honestly an RT Stan (self admitted) I confirmed that it has pretty much zero blood and no fanservice.. so I started the series over and watched it with my son (he's young). We both dig it. He's not all that interested in the dialogue aspects but loves the fights and I enjoy all of it (even the wife chuckled at some of the dialogue parts that she saw) so I'm happy to have come across it.

Looking forward to the new season. My kiddo and I will be watching ep to ep now.

This is the second story I have seen where parents are enjoying this show with their kids. I think that is great. It's action packed and story driven(
Whatever your thoughts may be on that
), but also colorful and safe for the kids. Like you said, no blood and no fan service. Which in my opinion, pulls you from the immersion of the show.

I started this show around three days ago and finished the first two seasons in about a couple hours. I enjoyed every bit of it, now I wait patiently for volume 3 :/

Welcome to the club. Glad you enjoyed it. According to Jorok, production may be at a stand still. So who knows how long we will have to wait.

coolasj19

Welcome to the club. Glad you enjoyed it. According to Jorok, production may be at a stand still. So who knows how long we will have to wait.
What about production? Link?
That was entertaining. I laughed more than a couple of times.
After I'm done coaching them through Korra I'm gonna show my sisters RWBY. I try to show them as many strong female led shows as I reasonably can and RWBY is apparently a hit with the kids.
Watch it again. And again. And again.

We gotta get the title changed to reflect the group watch date.

RWBY |OT| Group Rewatch February 15th

naeS

What about production? Link?

No link. Jorok, could you elaborate further?

We gotta get the title changed to reflect the group watch date.

RWBY |OT| Group Rewatch February 15th

Yisss, need to change it anyways. It says now airing.

No link. Jorok, could you elaborate further?

Screen Play was a film and television podcast hosted by JJ Castillo (voice of Mercury.)

a little while ago, Gus posted this blog post:
http://roosterteeth.com/news/entry.php?id=5351716

After producing twenty three episodes we have decided to put Screen Play on hiatus. We're going to think it over and determine whether or not to retool and relaunch the show or just scrap it and launch something totally different. We will continue to talk about movies in the regular RT Podcast, so feel free to give that a listen!

The same day, JJ's twitter bio changed to not include any reference to Rooster Teeth (although it does include Voice of Mercury, so he may still come back for voices.) There was some speculation that he may have pulled a prank on the higher-ups that went to far, but he's also very connected in the Austin film scene, so he simply may have left to pursue other options.

It all seemed rather abrupt, with the last episode of Screen Play picking a Movie Book Club movie for the next episode (which would have been the original Total Recall,) so it seemed like an unplanned exit.

Rooster Teeth does use a lot of off-site voice actors, so JJ will probably come back to record lines or record them in his own space and send over the audio. This probably won't affect RWBY, but there was some confusion in the moment that made it seem like it might.

naeS

http://roosterteeth.com/news/entry.php?id=5427280

Was posted in gaming a little bit ago.

Monty Oum hospitalized
It is with great regret that I must inform you that our co-worker and our dear friend, Monty Oum, has had a medical emergency. He is currently hospitalized in critical care and it is not known if he will recover. He is receiving the best medical care possible and is surrounded by both family and friends who love him very much. While we wanted you to know as soon as possible, we also have the utmost respect for Monty's privacy and we hope you will understand and share in that respect.

Terrible news. Hope he gets better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom