• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta say- I love how they keep it PG, but go right up to the edge of swearing. Between Glynda being cut off before saying "dicks" in this episode and Torchwick cutting himself off in the middle of saying "Oh for fuck's sake" when Blake had her blade to his throat.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I gotta say- I love how they keep it PG, but go right up to the edge of swearing. Between Glynda being cut off before saying "dicks" in this episode and Torchwick cutting himself off in the middle of saying "Oh for fuck's sake" when Blake had her blade to his throat.
Heck, more like the edge of the edge of swearing. Barely got the first letter out. Apparently, RWBY is some kind of popular with kids because adults and siblings show it to their children/other siblings. So they do their best to keep it PG. Watching the commentary of S1, they are super (almost overly so, which is good) aware of how differently the adults talk compared to the youths.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Got sucked into the vortex that is WoW but starting to play catch up. Just finished episode 7 and personally I loved it.

- Had some #TeamBumblebee fluff (wished Yang was in a suit during her dance with Blake, should've swept her off her feet!). Loved the art style with the flashback.

- Soooo glad Pyrrha finally got her feelings off of her chest, was worried those pent up feelings would harm her down the road.

- Juane actually being cool for once. The dance number with his group was slick and Neptune's compliments looks like it had an effect on Weiss. Here's hoping she gets a clue and kicks Neptune to the curb so she can be with her OTP
Ruby :p #TeamWhiteRose for life.

Veelk

Banned
Man, If you compare the new animation team on RvB that isn't Monty-centric with the old stuff...sometimes I wonder if he got the job just because he had those semi-popular videos on the internet. The new RvB stuff is WAAY better than anything he's done. This sequence itself is so stiff and awkward.

I just watched the latest episode of RvB and I really, really can't agree. I stopped watching RvB at season 10 since I felt the show was going on too long, and that was a good place to stop. Also, fuck Halo 4 graphics.

But the fight scene in episode 18 of season 12, Carolina seems like way less of an effective fighter. The camera is zoomed in up close and moves with the body twists that the characters pull, which might work if it was used sparingly, but it's overused. Also, the combat is far slower now, because at that close up, it would be difficult to make out what is going on at a higher speed. Also, the fighting seems more conservative, where before a punch landed could knock a character halfway across the arena, now just does it a few feet or so.

Maybe you prefer more vaguely more realistic fighting for halo, which may makes sense, but Monty stomps these guys in pure style imo.

coolasj19

Man, If you compare the new animation team on RvB that isn't Monty-centric with the old stuff...sometimes I wonder if he got the job just because he had those semi-popular videos on the internet. The new RvB stuff is WAAY better than anything he's done. This sequence itself is so stiff and awkward.
Ughhhhhh I haven't bought Season 11 or 12 yet dude. Don't make me buy it just to have a talking point with you (I just straight up buy the seasons to watch them). But actually, the dancing scene was choreographed and mo-capped by him.

I'll get to S11 and S12 one day. I stopped after 10 because I just think the series needed to end. It drew itself way too thin and I think Roosterteeth should be pouring what they have into RWBY right now. It has a much wider demographic than the declining fanbase of a show that long since run its course (main plot line). I estimate that RvB (12 Seasons) is probably as popular as RWBY (2 Seasons) now but RWBY fans probably have deeper pockets.

I would love a demographic count but I get the feeling that at RTX 2014 the split of what people were there for was 35% Achievement Hunter, 25% RWBY, 15% Game Grumps, 15% Video Games,10% RvB.

I won't get down on Rooster Teeth though. Burnie and Matt know what they're doing. They'll adjust accordingly and make the right moves. Such as bolstering their live action productions in the form of Lazerteam and Day 5.

EDIT : In lighter posting. This picture is adorable.
zHjgeRD.jpg

Heads up to anyone watching tonight's episode: X-Ray and Vav teaser clip at the end of the credits (the same one that was at the end of Monday's Red vs Blue season finale)

coolasj19

Heads up to anyone watching tonight's episode: X-Ray and Vav teaser clip at the end of the credits (the same one that was at the end of Monday's Red vs Blue season finale)
Yes there was. It was weird =P.

Excuse me while I watch this episode a few more times. I was too distracted by the low quality stream to pull anything useful out of it. Because I sure couldn't find the purpose in it. There has to be one right?

coolasj19

yeah i didn't really get anything out of this other than the fact that Ruby is a bit off.
Oh yeah, she's never been weighed down by anything. The extent of that is kind of troubling though. I got that she was a bit off (or at least they were trying to tell us as much) after Episode 6 when she turned around after Ironwood coming through the elevator and was full on grinning to get back to her fight with Cinder. Oobleck probably didn't ask because... dunno actually. She has an answer, she wants to be like her mom.

Well I learned that there are certain Grimm that are generally avoided due to them being so tough. I always thought that they were weak things with the occasional tough one that requires a few Huntspeople to take down, so I thought that their dangers lay in there numbers. But now I know that they are actually a dangerous force knowing that some have experienced Huntspeople would rather not antagonize them.

coolasj19

Well I learned that there are certain Grimm that are generally avoided due to them being so tough. I always thought that they were weak things with the occasional tough one that requires a few Huntspeople to take down, so I thought that their dangers lay in there numbers. But now I know that they are actually a dangerous force knowing that some have experienced Huntspeople would rather not antagonize them.
You know... they said something like that in the commentary of S1. Probably a good thing I kept it to myself.
Watched a 2nd time... Didn't find anything. I'll try again. There was that menacingly awkward meetup with our friends. The "We may not see you guys for a long time" meetup. Classic.

Yang : Find her mom.
Blake : Fix the world.
Weiss : Cuz fuck my parents. Or expectations. Whatever.
Ruby : KILL ALL THE TITA- Grim.

Veelk

Banned
Kind of a useless episode, or rather a very inefficient episode. It was essentially 7 minutes of content stretched out over 14. A lot of it was a montage of killing random grim, for which they need MUCH better montage and faster paced stuff than what we got. Then Oobleck asking WBY what their motivations are was a bit wierd. They're obviously leading up to something (though I don't really get why they are so uncomfortable about that question), but since we already knew their responses, it felt like a waste of time, which it wouldn't have if we hadn't spent such a big chunk of the episode on it or atleast got the payoff within this episode. This won't be a problem when we watch this in one long run, but episode to episode, it's not satisfactory.

I like the exposition we got so far. I like Oobleck and it's good that we are getting more of how the world here functions besides smash smash cut slice punch. And grim gain intelligence, which is a plotline I saw coming if only because fighting animals sounds great, but gets boring fast as a plot. Expect to see a 1000 year old Grim that's basically of human intelligence or more sooner or later.

This is way better than season 1, but the writers still need to learn to make more effcient use of their screentime.

What I learned this week was that no one knows for sure what they're gonna do after college (something I already knew).

The Grimm stuff was kinda cool though.

coolasj19

Welp, 4th time watching. Probably time to weigh in with something substantial.

It wasn't a bad episode. Just kind of... boring. The kind of boring where it makes the episode feel longer than it actually is. They said a lot of stuff and got a lot of good exposition in there but between the fighting montage and the crumbs we were given, I don't think it was enough. Unless you want to start extrapolating that is, which is seemingly the core of RWBY's storytelling x audience interactions. Seeing the girls answers to Ooblecks questions was interesting, but we figured out their answers a long time ago. Perhaps this was the time to give a whole lot more detail than what they gave us between the answer and their fireside chat. But again, we can extrapolate some stuff.

Yang is a thrillseeker that wants to get into as many adventures as she can, so she can find her mom. Or a bit more, because she didn't say that during the fireside chat. Blake wants to fix the world, definitely spurred on by being treated like crap during her childhood - White Fang. But she didn't say that during the fireside chat either. Weiss was probably the most revealing after "after I realized I could fight, I had a duty to uphold". To me that says that she was supposed to be taking that cushy job in Atlus but decided against it. It lines up with not wanting to talk to Winter or her Dad when she was at the CTT. And Ruby. Ruby told us in like the 2nd episode. Also Red Like Roses II kinda tells us. She wants to be like her mom. Someone is going to ask and we'll get an answer. Know what? The 3 girls answers sounded more like their people facing excuses.

We got really cool stuff about the Grim though. They learn. Which is menacing. They're attracted to negativity. Which makes stuff like Little Yang and Tiny Ruby's Wagon Adventure all the more... sinister. Perhaps Oobleck was trying to dispel some of that before it became a problem? They were already getting visibly worn down as the day wore on in the first place. I guess that during excessively long missions, as moral begins to fall, more Grim would start to converge. And I imagine that's how most Hunters go down.

The humour was spot on this episode though. "Russles, brussels, sprussles","You didn't tell us to listen to you yet. So I didn't.", Joels performance "Long Grim have been known to stay isolated from a pack for months and now there's a whole pack", Ruby when seeing new giant Grim "Lets kill it", "Yo".

But dat X-Ray and Vav teaser =P.

K-A-Deman

Kind of a useless episode, or rather a very inefficient episode. It was essentially 7 minutes of content stretched out over 14. A lot of it was a montage of killing random grim, for which they need MUCH better montage and faster paced stuff than what we got. Then Oobleck asking WBY what their motivations are was a bit wierd. They're obviously leading up to something (though I don't really get why they are so uncomfortable about that question), but since we already knew their responses, it felt like a waste of time, which it wouldn't have if we hadn't spent such a big chunk of the episode on it or atleast got the payoff within this episode. This won't be a problem when we watch this in one long run, but episode to episode, it's not satisfactory.

I like the exposition we got so far. I like Oobleck and it's good that we are getting more of how the world here functions besides smash smash cut slice punch. And grim gain intelligence, which is a plotline I saw coming if only because fighting animals sounds great, but gets boring fast as a plot. Expect to see a 1000 year old Grim that's basically of human intelligence or more sooner or later.

This is way better than season 1, but the writers still need to learn to make more effcient use of their screentime.

I think Dr. Oobleck was testing their resolve of their reasons, as he explicitly mentioned how the Grimm are attracted to negative emotion. It wouldn't do for our heroines to be beset by Grimm when they are vulnerable.

they're totally gonna get attacked at night or early the next morning.

coolasj19

I finally figured out what bugged me about this episode. There wasn't a single moment of visual nuance. Or any physical humor at all really. By visual nuance I mean Ruby sliding down a rail when chasing down Penny, Blake and the laser pointer or running away from Zwei, Weiss crossing her legs nervously when talking to Neptune or Yang drawing out Qrows logo. By comparison this felt like a bucket episode. That's it! This was a bucket episode! Talking, minimal fighting, more talking. It's very much so the cool down episode that I thought we already had last week.

Nevertheless, shits gonna go down next week. It's the last episode before the next break and like Ruby said, "Everything will be better tomorrow". And we all know her definition is more monsters to fight. Also, I don't think Team RWBY is gonna make it back to Vale before the end of next episode or even the finale.

I think the Tales of Remnant 2 has already linked back up by talking about the amount of space any one nation can hold and defend. It's not Dust Into Clothing Megaton but it's something.

naeS

Tried to watch this episode during lunch just now and I couldn't hear it all too well so I am going to watch it again when I get home to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'll give my impressions after.

Impressions:

It's almost like Oobleck is trying to figure out what Weiss, Blake, and Yang are planning because they seem to have more of purpose. Ruby is just there. Along for the ride, goofing off, etc...

All of there reasons were half-truths. Maybe they didn't want to tell Oobleck the full story so they wouldn't seem distracted with personal issues, but their facial expressions said it all.

So, I just finish watching Season 1.

I absolutely adore RWBY. Ruby is cute as hell, all the girls have their strong points. Glad S1 finale shed the light a little more on Blake. I would love to see who that is that Blake was working with in her Trailer, he looked awesome.

Other favorite character was Pyrrha, sucker for long red hair in my anime gals (Nariko <3

Only wish the episodes were longer, but I guess this is a Rooster Teeth staple, never was interested in RvB. Although the short episodes allowed me to actually watch everything already as my time is limited and I have a ton of anime on the backburner.

Seeing the girls answers to Ooblecks questions was interesting, but we figured out their answers a long time ago. Perhaps this was the time to give a whole lot more detail than what they gave us between the answer and their fireside chat. But again, we can extrapolate some stuff.

They're all definitely lying, or at least keeping it to half-truths.

Yang is looking for answers about her mom.

Blake is trying to make up for the destruction she caused as a member of the White Fang.Since her skills are as a fighter, she's trying to find a way to apply those skills for good.

Weiss's truth is a bit harder to figure out. Monty made some comments on her design about her off-center pony tail being a sign of rebelliousness, so I'm assuming she's trying to break away from the role of heiress. We know she has a sister- if she's an older sister, she's probably heir-apparent to the Schnee Dust empire, which would put Weiss in a subservient role. Maybe she's trying to carve out her own identity instead of becoming her sister's lackey?

Guests have been announced for tonight's Afterbuzz TV aftershow -

Jeff Williams (Composer), Casey Lee Williams (Vocalist), and Jen Brown (Voice of Pyrrha and RvB's Agent Carolina)

BzgduncCUAEyp7J.jpg:large

Huh this show is still going huh? I think I stopped somewhere in the middle of S1 where they just go (or more accurately skyrocket/jump) into the forest. I quit the show because it was boring at that point with no sign of improving, does the show get better or still retain the same dull feel?

And I should note, the soundtrack is amazing.

coolasj19

what the hell happened to Ice Cream Nui?
Probably in the last two finale episodes.
Guests have been announced for tonight's Afterbuzz TV aftershow -
Jeff Williams (Composer), Casey Lee Williams (Vocalist), and Jen Brown (Voice of Pyrrha and RvB's Agent Carolina)
BzgduncCUAEyp7J.jpg:large
Niceeeeeeeeeee.
Huh this show is still going huh? I think I stopped somewhere in the middle of S1 where they just go (or more accurately skyrocket/jump) into the forest. I quit the show because it was boring at that point with no sign of improving, does the show get better or still retain the same dull feel?
You quit before all the action, ha. Season 2 is far more improved with better visuals, voice acting, pacing (The first major fight is in EP4 and 1 for example), story progression and the same great music. Something that moves a story forward happens in most every episode and best news, every episode is at least 12 minutes long. No more 4 minute episodes!

In regards to S1, you quit before the action. It slows down after the action but speeds back up for the finale. Power through and join us for the finale.

The forest is where things pick up, culminating with a great action sequence in episode 8. 9-14 are mostly school plots and character development, but extremely light action and nothing as far as advancing the main plot. The last 2 episodes get much better. (the season finale has a post-credits stinger that most people miss)

Volume 2 on the whole is much stronger, advancing the main plot all the way through, having great action, while still fitting in character development. The anime-isms kind of fade out the longer the series runs, but every so often they make a jarring return. Having a consistent running time also helps pace things a little better.

I just finished watching episode 9 and 10. I'm kind of glad I waited two weeks to watch the next episode as that gave me some more material to look at.

9 and 10 basically served to question the team's initial motivations and to make them question why they are huntresses. There wasn't much action here but that was okay as I did somewhat enjoy the introspective look into the team.

I kind of expected that Ruby would end up finding the hideout once Zwei ran off to do his dog thing. I thought Ruby would have fared better against those two White Fang guards but I guess here is where we learn that she basically has no combat ability without her scythe, and without a running start to generate a back draft with her semblance.

Since Cinder/Mercury/Emerald are presumably still at the school or on assignment somewhere else I expect the next episode will be a major fight between Torchwick/Neo/White Fang grunts versus team RWBY and Oobleck (we'll finally get to see him in action :p).

naeS

I always get caught off guard by how short the episodes are. Just when it gets good, it ends.

I think Oobleck's questioning really caught them off guard. Maybe explains the half-truths. But gave WBY time to really think about it and we finally got true answers. And of course Oobleck was listening.

Ruby could have taken those guards.

With majority of the Hunters and Huntresses on mission now, there might be a move made for Beacon and Vale. The students from the other schools didn't have to accept missions right?

kulapik

Yang has news for y'all:
http://roosterteeth.com/members/journal/entry.php?id=3263403
Rooster Teeth is partnering with Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas for a RWBY Volume 2 Marathon/Q+A Event! Here in Austin, at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar, we will be screening all of RWBY Volume 2 (including the finale episode) followed by a live Q+A with the cast and crew!

Not in Austin? Not to worry! Not only are we streaming the whole marathon and Q+A to other Alamo Drafhouse Theaters across the US, we're also going to be streaming the Q+A LIVE on our site! Here is the list of theaters where you can grab tickets to this event:

AUSTIN, TX – Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar
HOUSTON, TX - Alamo Drafthouse Vintage Park
KANSAS CITY, MO - Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet
DENVER, CO - Alamo Drafthouse Littleton
YONKERS, NY - Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers
ASHBURN, VA - Alamo Drafthouse One Loudoun

If you live close by to one of these theaters, you definitely should attend this event- not only is it a great way to enjoy the finale of RWBY Vol. 2, it's perfect for meeting fellow Rooster Teeth/RWBY Fans in your area!

Audiences at Alamo Drafthouse cinemas will also be given an exclusive Twitter hashtag to be used for sending their own questions to ask during the Q&A, plus they’ll have a chance to receive a RWBY Volume 2 poster signed by the cast and crew.

We hope that you'll join us, starting 5 PM CT (6 PM ET) on October 30th for this exciting event.

With majority of the Hunters and Huntresses on mission now, there might be a move made for Beacon and Vale. The students from the other schools didn't have to accept missions right?

I get the impression that the missions were staggered by level. The upperclassmen all have recently returned from their missions, except team CFVY who ran long on theirs. Teams RWBY, JNPR, CRDL, and SSSN are all first year teams, just heading out on their missions now.

coolasj19

Holy crap...
BOUGHT!!
I'm going to the Houston showing. A'ight!!
:|
i need something iconic to happen like in episode 8 season 1
this is doing the least
Iconic as in?
EP8 of S1 was the high point of the season and the first time the teams fought together. Which is why it's so amazingly awesome. We've had 2 iconic moments so far. The team fights together after getting a long time to work with each other (EP4) and Cinder puts her plan in motion (EP8).

Iconic as in?
EP8 of S1 was the high point of the season and the first time the teams fought together. Which is why it's so amazingly awesome. We've had 2 iconic moments so far. The team fights together after getting a long time to work with each other (EP4) and Cinder puts her plan in motion (EP8).

I'd also say the food fight is pretty iconic, even if it was played for laughs.

I have a problem with the latest episode. Ruby gets caught and brought to Torchwick. WBY and Oobleck go to find her and comes across the hole Ruby fell in. Oobleck goes into exposition mode about the failed city. I feel that, instead, they should have ended the episode immediately after realizing Ruby fell into the hole and then in the next episode, have Oobleck deliver the exposition while they trek to the underground city. I think it would have flowed better.

coolasj19

I have a problem with the latest episode. Ruby gets caught and brought to Torchwick. WBY and Oobleck go to find her and comes across the hole Ruby fell in. Oobleck goes into exposition mode about the failed city. I feel that, instead, they should have ended the episode immediately after realizing Ruby fell into the hole and then in the next episode, have Oobleck deliver the exposition while they trek to the underground city. I think it would have flowed better.
He literally talked for 90 seconds! I was seriously thinking, wtf are y'all doing? Ruby is in trouble! Talk and walk! Honestly, this is the episode we should have had last week. Cut out that montage and insert this episodes fireside chat. Especially since next week is another ToR... Fortunately! Their Underground Crime Network being what it is, well probably see both Cinder AND Neo!

He literally talked for 90 seconds! I was seriously thinking, wtf are y'all doing? Ruby is in trouble! Talk and walk!

There was no sense of urgency at all. It just stopped all of the momentum they had.

Honestly, this is the episode we should have had last week. Cut out that montage and insert this episodes fireside chat. Especially since next week is another ToR... Fortunately! Their Underground Crime Network being what it is, well probably see both Cinder AND Neo!
Yeah, they could have shortened last week's and put this in with it. It would have definitely flowed better. Have Oobleck ask WBY why they want to be Huntresses at the beginning and then at the end, they have that little fireside chat about why they really want to be Huntresses and then Ruby goes missing.

coolasj19

The Grim are Titans.
Good thing the finale ia going to be fantastic. And woop woop for Jen Taylor.

naeS

So this WoR was more or less a repeat of what Oobleck told to Ruby. But more Jen Taylor is always welcome. And yeah Attack on Titan.

2 more episodes!

Calcium

Banned
The
corgi missle attack
was just dumb, even for this show.

Fun episode overall, though. I'm curious as to who
saved Yang. Lady looks intimidating as hell.

Nudull

Banned
Ah, this show. I'm intrigued enough to try it, but the same time, it feels like every anime-inspired webcomic ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom