• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Here's my tier list so far.

SS Tier - Cinder, Torchwick, Ozpin, Pyrrha

S tier - Ruby, Yang, Weiss, Blake, Ren, Nora, Sun, Neptune, Emerald, Mercury, Penny

D Tier - Cardin and his whole team, Jaune

Counting Cinder and Ozpin is easy, since we know they're powerful just by the roles they play. I like RWBY, but it's extremely typical in it's battle anime structure, so obviously the main villain and the mentor are going to be top tier, not because there's any in story demonstration seen thus far, but because that's the tropey way to go.

We don't really have a place to put Cardin and his team, but we should know they're not in the same tier as Jaune since they kick his ass. They could be B or C tier, since it seems those bears weren't that much of a threat, but then again, maybe they were and Jaune was just using his super secret special super awesome super powers he has dormant. Likewise, Torchwick could be anything from D-tier who happens to have good connections, to A tier who is just really holding back. I really doubt he's at Cinders level, if only for how she intimidates him.

The normal gang.....well, they're clearly good and they're the main characters, so they'll grow into S and SS tier most likely. But right now, they could be anywhere from B to S tier. We don't have a point of reference for the whole school.

Yang's semblance just gives her a power boost. It's her aura that acts as a force-field like for every other Hunter. It makes sense that Blake would be concerned for her ally getting smashed through a pillar, simply because she didn't know how badly she was hurt if hurt at all (in this case she wasn't). It was a moment to briefly explain how Yang's semblance works.

The team takes hits like that all the time, none of the others were a cause for concern. In that fight alone, Blake and Yang got in the blast area of one of it's cannons and Weiss was hit dead on by what seems to be a rail gun. I'd assume atleast the latter would be a stronger hit than a mech punch, but no one seemed concerned about her (But then again, it is Weiss, so who would be).

It just seems that one moment they aren't even concerned with taking ridiculous hit or putting out insane damage, but when they need to move some plot element, the writers play it dramatically even when they shouldn't. Blake's comment was really just used as an excuse so Ruby could explain Yang's ability to the audience (doubly so since after a semester of training together, the whole team should have a grasp on each other's basic abilities by now). This is similar to how Penny's ability to stop the truck ought to have been a "Oh, you're a super badass too? Cool" instead of this dramatic moment of disbelief, just so they have an excuse to reveal Penny's poorly kept secret of being a robot, even though Ruby and everyone around her have accomplished similar feats of strength without effort.

The problem with that is that things are going to progress differently on account of the show having a reduced run time compared to your usual TV production.

Most shows go for around two seasons while RWBY is aiming for 7-10. Some things could be explained better but it's something I expect to trickle through over time.

I'd say that RWBY is one of the better teams among the school so far. Simply because if there were better students they would be named. Expect that to change in the future when we get to see more teams.

Not....necessarily. Your logic is that if there is a better team than RWBY, they must be special so they'd be named, is circular. It presumes that RWBY is already a special team. My point is, what if they are completely average students that simply take more of an initiative than others? Beacon Academy tasks so far have been to kill Grimm Creatures that were presumably measured to be something the new students could tackle. Other than that, most of their schoolwork has been regular school work. And this White Fang/Torchwick hunt that RWBY has been on lately is not school commissioned. They do it on their own. For all we know, the monsters that CRDL and CVFY took on were just as bad as the Nevermore and Scorpion, or even worse, but CRDL is just made up of douchebags while CVFY is....idk, we haven't met them yet. So what if they are precisely in the 50th percentile of the school? You wouldn't expect them to name the dozens of teams they are lower than for no reason except to show the audience how much they suck.

My money is on RWBY being one of the better teams as well, but it's less than anything the show showed me, and more because that's how the tropes go. The main characters in battle anime are kick ass, almost always. Obviously, I don't mind RWBY being badass, but better writing means you have to justify it and demonstrate it. And if the format is different than that of usual TV productions, that's not an excuse, it's just something that has to be accounted for.

But I think we're getting deeper than I like into this discussion. One thing we all agree on is that these things, in all likelihood, will become clearer in time. The next episode is tomorrow, so lets just wait until the season is over before assessing it wholly.

Wanderer5

So I decided for the heck of it to mess around creating Pyrrha the best I can in Guild Wars 2, and think I did a pretty decent job with what the game has.^.^

2014-09-10_00007_zps41110955.jpg

2014-09-10_00001_zpsda0278b7.jpg

2014-09-10_00006_zpsd3d3dd72.jpg

Guess I could use the laurel that in the gem store for the headwear, but eh I save that for later.:p Weapons are another story..

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
*sigh* I'll be back after it publicly airs. I was gonna buy a sponsorship but I gotta get from place A to place B right now.

One thing we all agree on is that these things, in all likelihood, will become clearer in time. The next episode is tomorrow, so lets just wait until the season is over before assessing it wholly.

Agreed. That's what I was getting at last page.

And I just finished watching the new episode just now.

There's one part in particular that's going to get a lot of attention.

I'll post my notes after it airs publicly.

coolasj19

Agreed. That's what I was getting at last page.
And I just finished watching the new episode just now.
There's one part in particular that's going to get a lot of attention.
I'll post my notes after it airs publicly.
Ohhhhhh that was so much fun. Lets get the negative out of the way, the RWBY VA's should drink more water or something. Secondly, there's a break next week. Remember that. But Tales of Remanent #1 had tons to do with this episode so it looks like I won't mind the breaks after all. There's too much stuff to go over and I want to watch it a couple more times. I did have a smile on 4/5ths of the time though. Lol @ Cinder's infiltration animations. Those poor animators, they try so hard.

I hope Ruby is smart enough to know exactly who she fought. They put a lot of emphasis on Cinder blocking her shots just like in EP1.

Veelk

Banned
Hm. Probably the best episode so far.

Jaune, I like it when he's embracing his social awkwardness instead of just falling victim to it. Maybe that's the key to making cringe comedy work. Make the person that's being made a joke a willing participant. Pushed it a tad too far with the dance scene for my tastes with the dance scene, but whatevs. I'm just glad his shtick with Weiss is over. Also, are Jaune and Pyhrra now a thing or what?

We still don't know wtf Cinder is doing, but she had by far the best dress in the whole damn ball. I'm confused a little bit by what happened at the end there. So Ruby followed her on a whim because she has an instant drop ordinance for her weapon (because of course she does...), where cinder and ruby briefly fight, and then Ironwood comes in, and then...does ironwood think Ruby did it? Or what? But yeah, this keep away shit with Cinder is getting old. Not just because WE don't know what she's doing, but neither does Ruby. A story like this just doesn't work unless there is real tension between the protagonist and antagonist. This is the second season, with the 3rd encounter between them, 2 of them being fights, and Ruby doesn't even know she is a recurring character here. She doesn't even know her face. Have them speak to each other already! Give Ruby a reason to go after her that's personal somehow! Something!

Also, was anyone else expecting Neptune to out himself as a gay dude? They writers already said they were going to include gay characters, so I wonder if that's what they were hinting at here or what.

Edit: Also, classical music for the teenage ball? I mean, especially considering the soundtrack of the series, I'd have expected it to atleast be rock opera or something.

Wanderer5

Wow Jaune lol. That was really good when he came in with that dress, and JauneXPyrrha is kicking off it seems finally! Also Penny is so adorable dancing espeically with the guard that was robot dancing too.:p

Heh Cinder turns into Black Window/Hawkeye, and what was with that first guard she knock out? He was smiling when he got knock out.XD Nice to some more action from Cinder, and she look lovely in that dress at the end too. It would be nice to get at least some more hints of what Cinder is planning soon. I hope they don't drag it out so long, but I sure something will come by the end of this volume.

coolasj19

Hm. Probably the best episode so far.

Jaune, I like it when he's embracing his social awkwardness instead of just falling victim to it. Maybe that's the key to making cringe comedy work. Make the person that's being made a joke a willing participant. Pushed it a tad too far with the dance scene for my tastes with the dance scene, but whatevs. I'm just glad his shtick with Weiss is over. Also, are Jaune and Pyhrra now a thing or what?

We still don't know wtf Cinder is doing, but she had by far the best dress in the whole damn ball. I'm confused a little bit by what happened at the end there. So Ruby followed her on a whim because she has an instant drop ordinance for her weapon (because of course she does...), where cinder and ruby briefly fight, and then Ironwood comes in, and then...does ironwood think Ruby did it? Or what? But yeah, this keep away shit with Cinder is getting old. Not just because WE don't know what she's doing, but neither does Ruby. A story like this just doesn't work unless there is real tension between the protagonist and antagonist. This is the second season, with the 3rd encounter between them, 2 of them being fights, and Ruby doesn't even know she is a recurring character here. She doesn't even know her face. Have them speak to each other already! Give Ruby a reason to go after her that's personal somehow! Something!

Also, was anyone else expecting Neptune to out himself as a gay dude? They writers already said they were going to include gay characters, so I wonder if that's what they were hinting at here or what.

Edit: Also, classical music for the teenage ball? I mean, especially considering the soundtrack of the series, I'd have expected it to atleast be rock opera or something.
I don't know about best but I only saw it the one time so far (TNF) so what do I know?

I think the Juane relief is because he finally made the right decision! I was actually worried when he was walking off the rooftop. And I think they're a couple now. In the words of Queen Nora "It. Is. Happening!". Both the dancing and the Juane x Nora acknowledgement. Though, Phyrra couldn't have hammered it home any harder if she tried.

I'm think we need another Ironwood x Ozpin scene or something like it when we come back from break. But this time with Cinder and whoever. But I hope that wasn't the Cinder vs Ruby fight teased in the opening, cause I need way more than that. Team Rwby needs to recognize Cinder as the big bad somehow, and soon. The season is halfway over and we only have the team figuring out parts of her plan and a small skirmish. Though, if they keep at this pace for the rest of it, we'll have that moment by the end of the season. Just adjust your expectation (same goes for me) we most likely aren't seeing Cinder go Black Window again for a while. I haven't decided if the last 3 episodes (arc) have had sufficient payoff yet.

I'm on the Neptune is guy team but he's totally attracted to Yang in EP4. So I don't think so. Bisexual possibly.

Weiss probably picked the music. Just assume the rock section was when Cinder was infiltrating, since that's how RWBY and its' music rolls.

coolasj19

In more urgent news, Ruby still doesn't like social stuff =P. Her and Juane should hang out a bit more but the scenes where they talk, something happens at the end. I think the most recent one before this was the "You don't get to not be a good leader" speech. But now that Weiss is hanging with Neptune... who does the Ruby ship ship to? Nobody knows~. Juane impressed me two times this episode. Once when he diverted his attention from scolding Neptune and twice when he scolded Neptune! I'm so so happy someone drilled into Neptune about being so cool all the time, "I try really really hard". You could say... he's a tryhard =O
Orange you glad it wasn't a pun?
*fistbump*

I was going to say something about Jen Brown as Pyrrha because she did very well as Carolina in RvB, but I just watched and... She shows no improvements. She wavers in and out of sounding like she's eating peanut butter and doing perfectly fine. But she got her happy end, so yay! Juane and Ruby are probably the best in this episode.

Who wants to gif all the times Penny was dancing? Because I found that much funnier than I should have. They also did their first "anime thing" for the first time this season =|. Ruby wagging her arms when Yang headlocked her. She grew like 4 extra arms -_-. Please don't do that... And that dance!! Someone gif me please! Or do I have to beg Reddit?

Animation wise. Guys, look, I know it's really really hard, but sometimes you should spend more time than other parts of an episode when it doesn't look pretty ie Cinder on rooftops. Really takes me out of the episode. But seeing Ruby stumble around in those heels was really something attention to detail wise. Really impressive stuff right there. Cinder definitely had the best dress too. Possibly because it was the most adult (sheath dress) there in a ballroom full of high school tea dresses.

Questions. What was Cinder saying was handy when she was walking out the elevator? How did Rubys' locker get there that fast? Ironwood couldn't possibly think Ruby did that, right? Why didn't Ruby just take off her heels? I'm just glad it didn't turn into a plot point. That would've pissed right the hell off. Did Monty choreograph the dance all by himself? I bet he did.
So I decided for the heck of it to mess around creating Pyrrha the best I can in Guild Wars 2, and think I did a pretty decent job with what the game has.^.^
This is awesome. It's not just decent, it's spot on.

Here are my impressions of episode 7.

- This is probably one of my favourite episodes of volume 2.

- Pyrrha finally managed to get that bit off of her chest. I think that was the major barrier between her and Jaune.

- Looks like some people were right in predicting that Neptune turned down Weiss.

- "Ren! This. Is. HAPPENING!"

- Who would have thought that Jaune's shining moment of awesome would be a synchronized dance sequence (the lead up to this scene was perfect).

- Jaune has seven sisters.

- So Cinder either stole information from that computer or did something to their systems since the Queen chess piece symbol showed up on all of the monitors.

- Her moving across the rooftops looked a little weird.

- I thought she would have just used ranged attacks but it looks like she's competent in close combat as well.

- Didn't expect to see a rocket locker from season 1. At first I thought it was just there for comedic effect back then but now I can see how it could actually be useful.

- I thought Ruby would have recognized Cinder but I might just be downplaying the effect a mask has in obscuring someone's identity. I suppose masquerade balls are a thing because those masks actually do make it harder to identify someone. If Ruby sees her fight in the tournament I think she'll make the connection for sure.

- Notice how the bell tolls as the clock strikes 12 at the end. A reference to Cinderalla no doubt.

- They left things on an interesting note. We're left to wonder what Ironwood will say to Ruby. I don't think he'll accuse her of doing it since the guards already engaged Cinder in combat. I could see it happening if she took them all out stealthily but otherwise no.

Time to update the dance tier list.

SSS+ - Team JNPR

SS - Penny

S - Everyone else

coolasj19

Time to update the dance tier list.
SSS+ - Team JNPR
SS - Penny
S - Everyone else
tumblr_nbr849flKB1tfiws8o2_500.gif
tumblr_nbr7yx1QXg1qjcq11o1_500.gif
tumblr_nbr8gi41hY1qjcq11o5_500.gif
#KillJaune
But... he backed off from Weiss. Or are you made he redirected Neptune back to her?

God help me. I can't wait for the Volume 2 OST. It's going to kill me if it's not available immediately as S2 ends. Jeff Williams is the Marty O'Donnell of Roosterteeth. He's basically responsible for their entire style as an animation company.
So Ruby followed her on a whim because she has an instant drop ordinance for her weapon (because of course she does...
Ruby : "Cool! A recreational parkourer. I have to ask her where she got that outfit though. And if they come in Red." =P

Awesome! You got incredibly close.

The AfterbuzzTV aftershows come back tomorrow, with Arryn Zech (Blake) and Barbara Dunkleman (Yang)

BxBZo8GCMAADNea.jpg:large

And it's up on youtube now!

tumblr_nbr849flKB1tfiws8o2_500.gif
tumblr_nbr7yx1QXg1qjcq11o1_500.gif
tumblr_nbr8gi41hY1qjcq11o5_500.gif

But... he backed off from Weiss. Or are you made he redirected Neptune back to her?

God help me. I can't wait for the Volume 2 OST. It's going to kill me if it's not available immediately as S2 ends. Jeff Williams is the Marty O'Donnell of Roosterteeth. He's basically responsible for their entire style as an animation company.

Ruby : "Cool! A recreational parkourer. I have to ask her where she got that outfit though. And if they come in Red." =P

Just thinking about that segment brings a smile to my face.

Jeff Williams and the other do such a fantastic job of crafting RWBY's musical identity. I can't imagine watching it without their work involved.

coolasj19

As my first time watching one of these things, I surprisingly enjoyed this. I found my new Thursday Podcast. I'm using it right now for Destiny background. Putting aside useless Tumblr reference man and hit or miss joke co-host girl, the host for the show is amazing. She's always on cue, actually a fan of the show, and isn't afraid to (paraphrasing) go "Hey, other unfunny people, stfu and lets get back to the episode", and I appreciate that so so much.
I found this both funny and rather adorable. I love how she started off doing the robot before going into this little bit. Was also nice seeing one of those guards dancing with her in a shot later on.
If she wasn't one of my favorite already.
https://38.media.tumblr.com/3e1b2c7ff49c802318e2bffe19a2319e/tumblr_nbr90bGcOA1tbb76go1_r1_250.gif
#KillJaune
But why?
=0
Explain plz.

Wanderer5

2653295-cinder.jpg

Really dig Cinder's outfits glowing. Could be dust infused into the cloth (and/or cause by dust implanted into her body maybe?) indeed. I just notice on her dance dress there that cracked looking piece of texture running down her side that looks like the pieces of cloth that glows on her black widow like outift.

640px-V2e7_cinder_dress.png

Calcium

Banned
The animation in the newest episode was really bad in a few places. Notable standouts being Cinder running along the roof and Jaune's arms. Yikes.

As someone who isn't a fan of the school setting of the show this episode had me worried, but it was decent enough to keep me engaged. I am curious to see what Cinder and her gang are up to and if Ruby gets blamed for implanting that virus or whatever it was. Did that ...Ironwood(?) fellow even see Cinder in the room?

Fj0823

Love the amount of care put in making Cinders ass-motion while walking...

Really nice episode, had fun with the dress thing.

Pyrrhas voice actor....is the worst of the cast....by far... D:

Hackworth

Cinder's run animation was so terrible and I don't know how to describe technically how bad it was it just vexes me.

Oh yeah, Jaune veered wildly between being my least and most favorite character for the entire episode. Penny wins overall just by being cute.

Mistel

Banned
Jaune as a character is pretty much my favorite personally nice to see some development with him and Pyrrha. Although I've not seen episode 7 yet so it will be interesting to see where that goes.

Wanderer5

Monty posted this on Facebook. Its a height comparison of every named character except for Team CRDL.

The group in between Penny and Ironwood are team CFVY (Coco, Fox, Velvet Scarlatina, and Yatsuhashi)

Lol Adam is in there. Possible forshadowing?!XD And wow Neopolitan is pretty short (the shortest there).

Lol Adam is in there. Possible forshadowing?!XD And wow Neopolitan is pretty short (the shortest there).

I don't think we'll see Adam until maybe volume/season 3.

If anything he might appear at the end as a teaser. I just don't see how they can wrap up the current arc and dive into his with 5 episodes left but I could be wrong.

Wanderer5

Yeah looks like Neopolitan might be younger than any of those characters (well beside Penny maybe).

If anything he might appear at the end as a teaser. I just don't see how they can wrap up the current arc and dive into his with 5 episodes left but I could be wrong.

As long as he comes back eventually.:p He kickass in the black trailer, and it be cool to see some more interaction with Blake after she left him and the White Fang.

coolasj19

The Last couple of area have been 4 and 3 episodes respectively. We're in for either a 3 and 2 episode arc or a 5 episode one. Considering "their first mission" - Glenda should start next episode, I'm going 5 episodes. That's about 50 minutes of content left. Plenty of time to do anything. Maybe not Adam though.
Judging by her height, I'm guessing Neo is supposed to be a fair deal younger than everyone else- like 11 or 12 years old.
So is there a Beacon Elementary? Beacon Junior High?

coolasj19

Signal Academy. It's where Ruby was studying before Ozpin bumped her up two years and where Qrow teaches.
Ha! Ya got me. I forgot about that. Maybe that's where Neo is chilling? I need her to make a comeback before seasons end. I wonder where they are going to be sent for their missions. Actually, do they strictly go on Grim attack missions do you think?

Interesting Summer Rose fanart concept/prediction. Fits super well as a larger main character. I doubt we'll ever see it seeing as the RWBY writing team doesn't seem particularly fond of flashbacks. Actually, none of RT does. Burnie Burns was particularly adverse during RvB. Who knows though.
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE...ose_reference_sheet_by_naijmizuho-d7vajk8.png

I wouldn't mind. Though, I'd thought she's more a fan of White. Seeing the white cloak she has in the Red Trailer.

coolasj19

Am I the only one surprised that a love interest for Ruby hasn't even been introduced, let alone interacted with her?
Uhhh.
inb4 Wulf/Wolfe
Is that another name for White Rose?
Well, certainly not full flashback episode. Hand drawn flashbacks during an exposition dump have happened at least twice.
Fair enough. *sigh* If they ever go full of flashback episode it's gonna be like a 3 episode arc.

Uhhh.

Is that another name for White Rose?
Fair enough. *sigh* If they ever go full of flashback episode it's gonna be like a 3 episode arc.

Then again, it's not like Rooster Teeth is entirely opposed to flashbacks. They dedicated two seasons of RVB to backstory for the Freelancers and AI.

Am I the only one surprised that a love interest for Ruby hasn't even been introduced, let alone interacted with her?

Ruby has no time for human love interests. Not when there are so many smoking hot weapons to get to know.

Yeah looks like Neopolitan might be younger than any of those characters (well beside Penny maybe).

As long as he comes back eventually.:p He kickass in the black trailer, and it be cool to see some more interaction with Blake after she left him and the White Fang.

Hmm. Well I could see him appearing whenever the White Fang/Torchwick eventually makes their next move. That might happen this volume.

The Last couple of area have been 4 and 3 episodes respectively. We're in for either a 3 and 2 episode arc or a 5 episode one. Considering "their first mission" - Glenda should start next episode, I'm going 5 episodes. That's about 50 minutes of content left. Plenty of time to do anything. Maybe not Adam though.

So is there a Beacon Elementary? Beacon Junior High?

Yeah, we'll just have to see how they split things up.

I don't think they have lower grade schools. Just the academies.

naeS

Finally watched it. Destiny has taken over my life lol.
That was awesome. Will update with impressions tomorrow. Now, sleep.

Impressions:

Favorite episode all around, some character development, epic dance scene, and some combat.

Pyrrha and Jaune finally. Silly Jaune, took Pyrrha's advice and even passed it on.

Classic Nora and Ren, awesome.

Penny!

Cinder's animations made me laugh.

The elevator scene was funny, being an IT admin, the WiFi password exchange made me laugh a lot.

Some more dust usage from Cinder, the bow was sweet, as well as her outfit lighting up.

The Queen has pawns. Cinder, Mercury, and Emerald are the pawns.

Also new song, the OST is gonna be epic.

2nd Edit:

During the
Infiltration scene when Cinder beats up the guards, there are a few frames where her mask disappears then re-appears.

There are definitely lower grade Academies. Ruby was attending Signal Academy before being advanced two years by Ozpin. Most of the other students also are mentioned as attending combat schools.

I know about Signal but I was thinking more towards the Elementary level. Ruby left Signal at 15 and still had 2 years to go before receiving the invitation, and I kind of doubt that the school trains children as young as five. Then again there's not much information on the other academies.

coolasj19

When are the RWBY breaks for this season? This week's episode is another Tales of Remnant but is there another afterwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom