• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

If they make an AR I might buy it just to explore the entire level.

stage27_080214b-l.jpg

Jiggy

Oh, it was "Jeffery." But whatever. People who disrespect colorful mascots don't deserve to have their names spelled correctly. :( They're right up there with people who disrespect 2D!

Sciz

Jiggy37 said:
That one where Simon Jeffrey (I think it was) said something to the effect that Sonic stops being cool when people become teenagers?
As I recall, the fan outlash against that statement was so strong that he ended up eating those words.

Sakurai said:
It’s like the Sega Genesis makes a comeback as Nintendo hardware!
And I don't know whether to cheer or cry.

Jiggy

The funniest thing is that my mind interpreted the statement as "when they become teenagers," but the actual quote only had them at twelve years old.

Oh, and the Sega Genesis has made a comeback as Nintendo hardware. It's called Virtual Console and you all should be buying more things on it. Yes, even you there in the corner with 110 VC games.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
Oh, it was "Jeffery." But whatever. People who disrespect colorful mascots don't deserve to have their names spelled correctly. :( They're right up there with people who disrespect 2D!

This is true. I even have a certain degree of pity for Bubsy the Bobcat.

Sciz said:
As I recall, the fan outlash against that statement was so strong that he ended up eating those words.

He had certainly better.

Sciz said:
And I don't know whether to cheer or cry.

It did via VC...agh, Jiggy beat me to it curse you Jiggy rargh.

Iam Canadian

RagnarokX said:
A few of the pics had a stain on them but I cleaned this one up:
1z15xu0.jpg

**dreams of a Nintendo-made Sonic game**

You've done us all a great service.

Seriously...Silver? Really? He's only been in one game so far. Why does Silver get to make a cameo alongside Tails and Knuckles (as if he belongs in their presence) but no Dr. Robotnik? Come on, he'd be perfect to fly by in the backgrouund at the very least.

Sciz

RagnarokX said:
Bah. Silver is one of the better new characters they've introduced to the franchise in the last several years. He just needs a different, less generic design.

scottnak

RagnarokX said:
1z15xu0.jpg

**dreams of a Nintendo-made Sonic game**
All this awesomeness for background flying duty :(
Let's relegate Sonic to Nintendo guys. Got a nice track record going...

Iam Canadian

Sciz said:
Bah. Silver is one of the better new characters they've introduced to the franchise in the last several years. He just needs a different, less generic design.

I don't hate every new character in the Sonic series (I actually quite like Blaze the Cat, for one), but I still don't think that Silver deserved a cameo in the stage over, say, Dr. Robotnik.

Jiggy

-Sakurai brings the love for Valentine's Day. Retro love, that is! Actually, though, for Japan's version of Valentine's Day, it's girls who give guys chocolate, and then guys give their own gift later on, in March. For this reason, it would have been nice to get an update about, you know, a new playable girl character. >_>

-The above note has 0% relation to statistics.

-Sonic gets its first update since, what do you know, Christmas. I guess the franchise is kind of like that relative you see only on holidays? I don't know. Anyway, six updates for the series, beating out Yoshi and Pikmin while tying Kid Icarus and Wario.

-Thursday has had 45 updates. I only feel like pointing this out because absolutely none of them have ever been a stealth update; Thursday's the only day like that.

-We reach 27 stage updates. Ch-chotto matte yo! 27?! And one of those was Melee Stages: Part 2, so we've actually seen 31 stages. H-how many are we in for total? (Yes, yes, spoiler people, I know we know. I'm playing as if we don't. >_>)

-Thursday catches up to Wednesday as the last place day for stages, at 4 each.

-There are no known symbols without a stage now!

woxel1

Iam Canadian said:
I don't hate every new character in the Sonic series (I actually quite like Blaze the Cat, for one), but I still don't think that Silver deserved a cameo in the stage over, say, Dr. Robotnik.
Let's disagree to agree!

Sciz

Iam Canadian said:
Fair enough, but given that they were representing the franchise as a whole, they certainly could've picked worse.

Iam Canadian

woxel1 said:
Let's disagree to agree!

That's fine.

...What are we disagreeing about, exactly?

Sciz said:
Fair enough, but given that they were representing the franchise as a whole, they certainly could've picked worse.

I guess we can agree to disagree on that.

Although I suppose it's good that we didn't get Big the Cat or Cream.

RagnarokX

He's a character from a terrible game that will most likely and most hopefully never appear on a Nintendo system. There's really no 3rd character that deserved to run the loop, but Amy comes the closest as far as representing the franchise.

Edit: Yeah, Dr Robotnik, but he wouldn't exactly run the loop; be better to fly through doing his own thing.

Iam Canadian

RagnarokX said:
He's a character from a terrible game that will most likely and most hopefully never appear on a Nintendo system. There's really no 3rd character that deserved to run the loop, but Amy comes the closest as far as representing the franchise.

Ideally, Amy (I guess) would have been the third one to run the loop and Dr. Robotnik could be flying around in the background with his checkerboard wrecking ball or something.

dyls

TSA said:
Press release.

I can't believe they announce this three days before the tourney. Looks like Cammie is no better at her job than Perrin was.

Oh well, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt in that maybe they were afraid too many people would show up to the LA event if they gave any sort of useful notice. I do appreciate them using one of the great old downtown theatres, though. I hope the plan to bring back the Broadway district in LA actually happens. They're doing a pretty damn good job with the Grand Corridor, so I guess anything's possible.

Sciz

Iam Canadian said:
I guess we can agree to disagree on that.

Although I suppose it's good that we didn't get Big the Cat or Cream.
Seeing Big fishing on the sidelines somewhere would singlehandedly make me forgive the mishandling of the Sonic music.

RagnarokX said:

Edit: Yeah, Dr Robotnik, but he wouldn't exactly run the loop; be better to fly through doing his own thing.
I was using "representing the franchise" as in "providing a balanced cut of series history", rather than "star power woo!" That said, Amy would've been fine too.

Scribble

Sciz said:

Like who, do you think?

I personally can't believe that Silver has the *nerve* to show up alongside Knuckles and Tails, as if he was equal to those characters.

RagnarokX

Sciz said:
Seeing Big fishing on the sidelines somewhere would singlehandedly make me forgive the mishandling of the Sonic music.

I was using "representing the franchise" as in "providing a balanced cut of series history", rather than "star power woo!" That said, Amy would've been fine too.
OK then, let's have CDi Link appear in a Zelda stage :p

2myrvuq.jpg

Sciz

Scribble said:
Like who, do you think?

I personally can't believe that Silver has the *nerve* to show up alongside Knuckles and Tails, as if he was equal to those characters.
Cream, Emerl, the Babylon Rogues, Marine, a whole host of older one-off characters, and perhaps even the Chaotix. Frankly, his one major appearance so far was more interesting than the shells of themselves most of the rest of the main cast has been reduced to.

RagnarokX said:
OK then, let's have CDi Link appear in a Zelda stage :p
The Sonic equivalent to CDi Link would be Sonia or Manic, not Silver.

Jiggy37 said:
As long as I get the Broadcast Satellaview Zelda Hero/Heroine of Light! :D
Now there's an obscure bit of Nintendo history they should've drawn from. Or should at least make available on the VC.

Jiggy

Yes, Broadcast Satellaview Zelda needs to happen on VC. Absolutely must! Even if not the LttP version, at least the Zelda 1 version--because, really, I have a feeling that Zelda 1 with the power of the SNES backing it might be able to help that game reclaim a good bit of the power it would otherwise have for its Throne of Old-School Top-Down Adventuring Quality. TG16 did wonders for Neutopia and Neutopia II like that.

RagnarokX

Jiggy37 said:
Yes, Broadcast Satellaview Zelda needs to happen on VC. Absolutely must! Even if not the LttP version, at least the Zelda 1 version--because, really, I have a feeling that Zelda 1 with the power of the SNES backing it might be able to help that game reclaim a good bit of the power it would otherwise have for its Throne of Old-School Top-Down Adventuring Quality. TG16 did wonders for Neutopia and Neutopia II like that.
Knowing Nintendo, they'd sell each week of BS Zelda separately for $5 each.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jiggy37 said:

I doubt BS Zelda will ever see a release again

dyls said:
I can't believe they announce this three days before the tourney. Looks like Cammie is no better at her job than Perrin was.

Oh well, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt in that maybe they were afraid too many people would show up to the LA event if they gave any sort of useful notice. I do appreciate them using one of the great old downtown theatres, though. I hope the plan to bring back the Broadway district in LA actually happens. They're doing a pretty damn good job with the Grand Corridor, so I guess anything's possible.

I think I'll be heading over to the LA event. It's 20 miles away from me. To be honest I don't expect to win at all but I think I'd have a good time - plus there's a free $10 gift card, and this place is close to Little Tokyo I think - so I can check that out.

Any other NeoGaffers attending?

Oh, damn it. A roster of literally dozens of characters, and they use Silver. Even Brawl couldn't escape Sega's "look, new character!" whoring. I'm pretty sure Sakurai didn't look at the cast and say, "Yeah, when I think of Sonic, I think of a character from an unfun failure of a game that very few people liked, who's only otherwise appeared in two PSP racers and a handful of multiplayer games as cast filler." That's the line of thinking that totally meshes with the entirety of the rest of Brawl's production, sure.

tl;dr: I blame Sega, it was probably contractually-stipulated. Which means they still think Silver was a good idea. Next Sonic game to be a trainwreck: probably confirmed. :(

Sciz said:
Cream, Emerl, the Babylon Rogues, Marine, a whole host of older one-off characters, and perhaps even the Chaotix. Frankly, his one major appearance so far was more interesting than the shells of themselves most of the rest of the main cast has been reduced to.

...Really?

I would've even enjoyed Big trying to waddle his way up the loop but failing. Silver... I mean, people are welcome to like him, but there are far more popular characters. Perhaps most of them are playing assist trophy? Silver couldn't even run loops in 2k6, so I assume this is more Rivals-inspired, too.

Scribble

Sciz said:

The Sonic equivalent to CDi Link would be Sonia or Manic, not Silver.

Now there's an obscure bit of Nintendo history they should've drawn from. Or should at least make available on the VC.

Cream: Sonic Advance games
Babylon Rogues: OK, they would be bad too, but again, Sonic Riders and Sonic Rivals are better than Sonic 2006
Marine: Sonic Rush Adventure = Still a decent Sonic game
Chaotix: Knuckles Chaotix wasn't great, but they're still part of the classic Sonic games

IMO, it doesn't matter if Silver has a 'good personality' or 'good story', since that isn't what I associate Sonic with in the first place.

Scribble said:
Cream: Sonic Advance games
Babylon Rogues: OK, they would be bad too, but again, Sonic Riders and Sonic Rivals are better than Sonic 2006
Marine: Sonic Rush Adventure = Still a decent Sonic game
Chaotix: Knuckles Chaotix wasn't great, but they're still part of the classic Sonic games

IMO, it doesn't matter if Silver has a 'good personality' or 'good story', since that isn't what I associate Sonic with in the first place.

Thinking about everyone's posts on this subject, I've come to the realization that I hate every single Sonic character besides the main 3, Robotnik, and Blaze. Well, hate may be too strong of a word, but I really couldn't care less about them.

Shadow and Rouge? Shadow was awesome, for Sonic Adventure 2. Him still being around really cheepened that ending. Rouge is kind of fun, but really she only exists as the dark team counter point to Knuckles who can also hunt for emeralds. Wait, why are we doing this again?

Cream? kill it with fire.

Big? What? Why does this exist? I'm playing a Sonic game, so why am I a big dopey thing that wants to fish?

Amy? God, could there be a more annoying person? I would have no problem with her if she was just in love with Sonic and was a competent Hero in her own right (See early Fleetway or hell even look at Archie), but every damn second she's on screen "Sonic! Marry me! Now!" And then you play as her, she sucks terribly (Sonic Heroes aside).

Silver? Hi, I'm a slow hedgehog with telekenisis powers. I am your god. Btw, I only exist to muddle Blaze's past and give her a boy friend.

So, I believe Sonic needs to be Retconned. Now.

/rant

Boy, that level looks cool.

Some of the inclusions in Brawl make me wonder if its developers might be a little out of touch with games, strange as it might seem. I mean... something taken straight out of Kirby Air Ride is one of the most powerful items in the game... atrocious music from Sonic Heroes and Sonic and the Secret Rings was used to represent the Sonic series rather than more great music from the 2D games, or even some of the better music from the 3D games (Azure Blue World was all right, for instance), and now... Silver? I don't want to be reminded of shitty games while I'm playing Brawl (although Kirby Air Ride's City Trial Mode was decent, I guess... but I haven't played it in a very long time).

CTLance

That stage looks cool. I hope there'll be a Dr. Robotnik floating through the background from time to time though. He needs to be in a stage like that.

I want to play this game already. Damn you NoE, and damn my shortsightedness (buying a PAL Wii).

Le sigh. Nothing I can do about it now.

I wonder if we'll make it to page 666? Huge thread is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom