• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine

MetatronM said:
Eh, I read it as "stickers are easier to get a hold of than trophies used to be in Melee."

Could be either way. I'll wait to hear about trophies either way.

We know about "trophies" already - the assist trophies. If those are comparable in number to (or surpass) the static trophies in Melee, all we need is an option to view them outside of matches.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Alright this is what I think. First of all I can't see why they would put two different collection items in one game, it just doesn't make sense. Why not concentrate on one and use it to its full potential.

Also, the fact that he said "they are easier than collecting trophies" proves he is talking about Melee when you think about it. Why? Because how would we know what collection trophies are like? The only place we've had experience with them is Melee, so obviously he's referring to that, not the ones in Brawl where we have no experience about (if there are any).

I think assisct trophies are replacing trophies, and stickers are what you collect in your adventure. Doesn't it seem silly to go around collecting stickers AND trophies? At best, I think the only trophies (if there are any) will be the playable characters, but I even highly doubt that.

This is of course just my thoughts and I could be wrong, but I personally believe thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking.

AMUSIX

Stickers...hmmm, not nearly as classy as trophies...I was hoping the whole trophy thing would be expanded. More of a trophy room, instead of just the desk...or perhaps toys like plushies and figures instead of trophies...

Of course, trophies may still be in the game, todays update neither confirms or denies their presence. I sort of understand if stickers have replaced them...it's a heck of a lot easier to deliver a ton of 2-D images than it is to build a ton of 3-D models. Still, it's a heck or a lot cooler to swing a camera around the model than it is to stare at the sticker.

So...If stickers are a replacement are a replacement for trophies...booooo
If the stickers are an addition of still more retro fan serivce...cool...hope they have the mario christmas stickers I had on my trapper.

edit: the more I think about this, the more disappointed I'll be if this is a replacement for trophies. Trophies are what kept me playing Melee for hours...I'd get thrilled every time I saw one laying randomly in a level, and I found the different poses for the characters downright awesome. Of course, looking at your entire collection at once and zooming the camera over them just felt great as you could watch the crowd slowly grow. I simply can't see stickers being the same way...then again, I'm more than willing to be surprised by them, but these screens don't breed confidence.

El Papa

WildArms said:
Alright this is what I think. First of all I can't see why they would put two different collection items in one game, it just doesn't make sense. Why not concentrate on one and use it to its full potential.
Maybe stickers can be traded online, that's why they're easier to get, think Animal Crossing. <- Conjecture

WildArms said:
Also, the fact that he said "they are easier than collecting trophies" proves he is talking about Melee when you think about it. Why? Because how would we know what collection trophies are like? The only place we've had experience with them is Melee, so obviously he's referring to that, not the ones in Brawl where we have no experience about (if there are any).

I think assisct trophies are replacing trophies, and stickers are what you collect in your adventure. Doesn't it seem silly to go around collecting stickers AND trophies? At best, I think the only trophies (if there are any) will be the playable characters, but I even highly doubt that.

This is of course just my thoughts and I could be wrong, but I personally believe thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking.
I think you're jumping to conclusions. I'm not trying to be an internet dick, but you're reading too much into it.

SumGamer

various03_070815c-l.jpg

Isn't that bottle of milk from Harvest Moon? Maybe there are more surprises.

PkunkFury

perhaps trophies are earned from acheiving things like beating adventure mode or scoring high on home run etc. while stickers are found out on the battlefield in place of the random spawn trophies from melee

either way, all the assets for trophies already exist in Brawl. They have already modeled the items and characters anyway. Remember, most Melee trophies were for in game things like items, stages, characters, and background content. The handful of unique trophies in Melee may be represented as assist characters this time around, so their assets are also available. I'd be surprised if trophies weren't in.

SumGamer said:
[IG]http://www.smashbros.com/it/gamemode/various/images/various03/various03_070815c-l.jpg[/IMG]

Isn't that bottle of milk from Harvest Moon? Maybe there are more surprises.

I'm going to have to revoke your Gaming License.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
PkunkFury said:

Good. I only played Jungle Beat once for a few minutes, so if that was to me then I don't see your point. So everyone you know has played Jungle Beat yes?

But if it wasn't to me then i apologise.

PkunkFury

WildArms said:
Good. I only played Jungle Beat once for a few minutes, so if that was to me then I don't see your point. So everyone you know has played Jungle Beat yes?

But if it wasn't to me then i apologise.

sorry i thought the post above yours was the same question but with Lon Lon milk, so i thought I was continuing the trend, but I scrolled too fast

SumGamer

RiskyChris said:
I'm going to have to revoke your Gaming License.

How about I give you ten bucks and this didnt happen? :lol

Sorry, I didnt recognize it at all. Even now I still think it has HM feeling more to it.

Plus I didn't beat OoT.

Damn! I need to find my GC Controller.

Kafel

Banned
I can feel that Sakurai works with a team of fans.

good good

Younger people will go crazy trading stickers online -> way to talk about the game.

SumGamer said:
How about I give you ten bucks and this didnt happen? :lol

Sorry, I didnt recognize it at all. Even now I still think it has HM feeling more to it.

Plus I didn't beat OoT.

Damn! I need to find my GC Controller.

Strike 2. Play it with an N64 controller.

E-phonk

Banned
Stickers = I like
I wouldn't mind them replacing trophies with stickers, as long as they have A LOT of them. With stickers they could easily put almost all nintendo characters ever in the game, making it the ultimate fan collection - with 3D trophies this would be totally unrealistic.

As stickers should in theory be quicker and easier to implement - they're using existing art assets and simply resizing/reformatting them, rather than designing and modelling trophies – I could certainly see this being a new mode that complements the trophy mode from SSBM.

It’s a neat little addition to the game, and once again I’m baffled by the complaints – but that’s GAF for you, I suppose.

Oh. and can anyone ID the last couple of stickers? I've got:

Orbital logo
Mario Star
Wild Gunman
Balloon Fighter
Nintendog
Dr Lobe
Hammer Bro.
Toad
Mario Party die
Rawk Hawk
Mighty Gazelle
Jungle Beat monkey
Kirby
Lon Lon Milk
Samurai Goro
Wario (Mario Strikers version)
Donkey Kong (not sure which game this piece of art is associated with...)
Pinta
Ike
Wariomobile

...but I'm not sure what these two are:

**Spiky sphere**
**Spotty elephant**

I thought the elephant might have been a Pikmin enemy at first, but it's not & I just can't place it.

Teasel

Cosmonaut X said:
As stickers should in theory be quicker and easier to implement - they're using existing art assets and simply resizing/reformatting them, rather than designing and modelling trophies – I could certainly see this being a new mode that complements the trophy mode from SSBM.

It’s a neat little addition to the game, and once again I’m baffled by the complaints – but that’s GAF for you, I suppose.

Oh. and can anyone ID the last couple of stickers? I've got:

Orbital logo
Mario Star
Wild Gunman
Balloon Fighter
Nintendog
Dr Lobe
Hammer Bro.
Toad
Mario Party die
Rawk Hawk
Mighty Gazelle
Jungle Beat monkey
Kirby
Lon Lon Milk
Samurai Goro
Wario (Mario Strikers version)
Donkey Kong (not sure which game this piece of art is associated with...)
Pinta
Ike
Wariomobile

**Spiky sphere**
**Spotty elephant**

I thought the elephant might have been a Pikmin enemy at first, but it's not & I just can't place it.

the spiky sphere is from mario and the elephant guy is from yoshi

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
These look like pieces of art ripped straight from their respective games. I can't even imagine they'd begin to replace trophies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Its a bit of a disappointing update., At first i was a little annoyed because I thought that the stickers, but after reading through the sticker section again it said that they'll be easier to collect than trophies, which sort of confirms that trophies will still be in the game.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Cosmonaut X said:

**Spiky sphere**
**Spotty elephant**

Spiky sphere is a common enemy/hazard in the Kirby games, though it has appeared in Mario Land 2 as well.

The elephant is Pac E. Derm from Yoshi's Story. He'd block your path and you have to Ground Pound next to him to flip him over. (I think he's also in the backdrop in the Yoshi's Story stage in Melee too)

Teasel said:
the spiky sphere is from mario and the elephant guy is from yoshi

Ah, yeah - Pak E. Derm.

Maybe my sarcasm detector needs repairing, but what would rotating a sticker be good for?

I think he means rotating left/right, rather than spinning a sticker in three dimensions. If you can't rotate them, then it means you can't - for example - turn the Wariomobile upside down, or put Rawk on his side.

EktorPR

After the initial, dissapointing first impression, I'm willing to embrace stickers if only they're managed with the same attention to detail that trophies got in Melee. Although...I doubt trophies will dissappear completely from the game.

so1337 said:
To me it seems more like they scrapped the trophies in order to have stickers...

Why?

The trophy mode is in place from SSBM & pretty fully-featured, so the work there would mainly be in modelling new trophies or upgrading existing ones, or perhaps adding a few new features (trading over WiiConnect, for example).

The stickers are - as noted several times - basically recycled art assets, so Sakurai & Co. aren't spending a huge amount of time creating new art for the mode & it doesn't seem like the stickerbook/trading aspect will be too demanding, so I don't think there's any reason - yet - to believe that the stickers are replacing the trophies, and every reason to think they will be a neat supplement to them.

Scribble

The thing is, I like the concept....I just hope it's executed properly. I would have been excited if you could use the stickers in any way you want - i.e. stick it on menus screens, the character selection screen, characters, levels, anything. But sticking them on a piece of paper just seems kind of...lame. The update did say that you can stick them on "things", but I'm not going to read too far into that. I'm looking forward to more info.

Even so, Sakurai and HAL are really putting A LOT of content into the game. You can tell how really determined they are to make a SSS game, and they just keep piling on the features.
It brings a tear to my eye, tbqh. I can't believe all these stupid drama queens putting this update on the same level as "banana peel" and "you must recover". >_>

Haunted

not that interested in collectible stuff. I check out art galleries once, maybe twice if the art is great. I'll probably make one or two collages, that's it.

Now, the ability to take screenshots and save them to the Dashboard (and subsequently the photo channel) ... that's quite nice.

This may have been talked about, but does "saving screenshots" mean just sticker screens? Or anytime you pause the game? If it's the latter, that will be MUCH fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom