• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnid

Jiggy37 said:
I'm actually expecting that. With over two months of updates left and all the biggest stuff out of the way (Subspace and Wi-Fi), there have to be at least a couple more semi-megatons along the lines of My Music. Saved replays would be one, at least for me.

With the sticker update it was hinted at a "screenshot anywhere" function like Metroid Prime 3 which is still pretty cool. Replays and co-op Subspace Emissionary are the only 2 things I can even think of to request at this point. If those happen the game is officially perfect.

Scribble

Somnid said:
With the sticker update it was hinted at a "screenshot anywhere" function like Metroid Prime 3 which is still pretty cool. Replays and co-op Subspace Emissionary are the only 2 things I can even think of to request at this point. If those happen the game is officially perfect.

*Replays
*Alternative Costumes
*Ridley, Tingle

= Perfect Brawl.

I LOVE the F-Zero cast. Some of the most delightfully cheesy character designs ever-- it fits the F-Zero universe perfectly. I would kill for another F-Zero combatant in Smash. My votes are for Mr. EAD (hilariously awesome character design and I love the heavy-hitters) or Pico (because he's an F-Zero original and let's face it, Dr. Stewart sucks).

BioPico.jpg

I don't expect to see any more F-Zero characters, but I can hope. My first pick would have been Samurai Goroh of course, but, well... :(

PkunkFury

I think if they keep the clone movesets GanonDorf might be replaced by BlackBull (so GanonDorf can get his own moves). They're about the same size and they both have capes, so it doesn't seem like much of a stretch. however, i doubt this will happen, and yeah, Falcon will likely be the only rep

WastingPenguins said:
I LOVE the F-Zero cast. Some of the most delightfully cheesy character designs ever-- it fits the F-Zero universe perfectly. I would kill for another F-Zero combatant in Smash. My votes are for Mr. EAD (hilariously awesome character design and I love the heavy-hitters) or Pico (because he's an F-Zero original and let's face it, Dr. Stewart sucks).

*Pico pic*

I don't expect to see any more F-Zero characters, but I can hope. My first pick would have been Samurai Goroh of course, but, well... :(
I'm not sure if I fit into the world of game character design because of feeling the same way about them as Nintendo feels about theirs.

Even the most evil of my monster designs are still playful. They aren't chibi headed freaks or anything, but strange and colorful. Kind of looking like they came out of a '70s comic book.

Anyway, more F-Zero anything in the game will make me a happy monkey.

GamerSoul

PkunkFury said:
I think if they keep the clone movesets GanonDorf might be replaced by BlackBull (so GanonDorf can get his own moves). They're about the same size and they both have capes, so it doesn't seem like much of a stretch. however, i doubt this will happen, and yeah, Falcon will likely be the only rep

BlackBull looks like he may just be Boss Character'd if he even gets in. He can sit next to Petey in the League of Evil roundtable ramblings.

Jiggy

Brawl is already "perfect" in my mind, but to me that doesn't mean there aren't more things it could do that I'd like. (No contradiction there--even a perfect world isn't as good as a perfect galaxy, and so on.)

And since we're naming characters that'll never happen (Tingle, Ada Wong), I want Malon. Sure, she may seem like a stock Zelda girl, and to be honest, I didn't even like her that much in OoT. But I really like her personality from her short stint in the manga, going from a damsel in distress dreaming of a hero to a no-nonsense ranch girl who smacks a Gerudo thief in the face with a pitchfork.

...Actually, I just want her because having a Marin alternate, Daisy-style, would be the only way she would ever get into Brawl in a million years, but uh, anyway. >_>

Edit: Come to think of it, I don't even have any idea if that manga is official or a fan work. Yeah, I'm not the greatest Zelda follower.

I would definitely support more F-Zero characters in Brawl. I enjoy their over-the-top wackiness. The F-Zero GX/AX cast has a lot of potential IMO.

Somnid

GamerSoul said:
BlackBull looks like he may just be Boss Character'd if he even gets in. He can sit next to Petey in the League of Evil roundtable ramblings.

But he's more of a regular sized character so like Metaknight (speculatively) he could be a boss and playable.

Tristam

Jiggy37 said:
Brawl is already "perfect" in my mind, but to me that doesn't mean there aren't more things it could do that I'd like. (No contradiction there--even a perfect world isn't as good as a perfect galaxy, and so on.)

Nicely put. I guess if there's anything else I could ask that's not already been given, it'd be replay saves, ranked (random) online play with leaderboards, and *maybe* a level editor (although there are legit arguments against this). I won't even make a judgment on the character/level/item lists yet, because we know they're far from complete.

I'm actually stoked for the single player this time around, which is amazing considering I never gave two shits about it in the other Smash Bros. games except to unlock characters. I mean, sidescrolling action games are sweet almost no matter what.

Tristam said:
I'm actually stoked for the single player this time around, which is amazing considering I never gave two shits about it in the other Smash Bros. games except to unlock characters. I mean, sidescrolling action games are sweet almost no matter what.
And we rarely get them anymore on consoles.

I'm definitely hyped for the singleplayer.

Scribble

Heh, I'm hoping that Subspace Emissary will play more like a side scrolling Treasure-esque beat-em-up and not try too hard to be a platformer.

Tristam

Thunder Monkey said:
And we rarely get them anymore on consoles.

I'm definitely hyped for the singleplayer.

Exactly. It's such a rare, awesome sight on consoles; this just happens to be incredibly fucking awesome because it's being packaged with a game with online multiplayer that wouldn't get old till the day I die.

Scribble said:
Heh, I'm hoping that Subspace Emissary will play more like a side scrolling Treasure-esque beat-em-up and not try too hard to be a platformer.

Ain't no reason it can't blend the best elements of both, but I mostly agree.

Jiggy

Seconding all the side-scrolling action love. :D
I expect Subspace Emissary to resemble Kirby Super Star quite a bit because of Sakurai's HAL history, which is fantastic by me. And I do consider the Kirby series more action than platformer, since being able to fly took out most of the platforming tension.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Somnid said:
But he's more of a regular sized character so like Metaknight (speculatively) he could be a boss and playable.

Size is really the least credible argument for or against a character being a boss character - Petey is large, but he's not much bigger than Bowser, and HE'S a playable character.

I could see Black Shadow being a boss character, someone you have to defeat within a certain time limit before, I dunno, stuff happens. Evil things. He kills a kitten.

Somnid

To be honest I don't expect too much out of Sub-Space Emissionary. It's a side-scroller with Smash's mechanics so I think it will wind up getting blasted in the critical reviews. I hope they do limit the platforming as Smash doesn't lend itself too well to it. I'm really just looking for good novelty fun.

Somnid said:
To be honest I don't expect too much out of Sub-Space Emissionary. It's a side-scroller with Smash's mechanics so I think it will wind up getting blasted in the critical reviews. I hope they do limit the platforming as Smash doesn't lend itself too well to it. I'm really just looking for good novelty fun.
Sakurai said there's a much bigger emphasis on Brawl on aerial fighting, so there's a good chance jumping is better than Melee's.

Jiggy37 said:
Seconding all the side-scrolling action love. :D
I expect Subspace Emissary to resemble Kirby Super Star quite a bit because of Sakurai's HAL history, which is fantastic by me. And I do consider the Kirby series more action than platformer, since being able to fly took out most of the platforming tension.
Sakurai has a lifelong ally in me after this methinks.:D

That they are doing this jumps them up to the top of my list. This game is like one of the biggest Nintengeek Circle Nerdgasm games in existance.

It will be one of the (not #1... or #2) biggest sellers of the year just on the backs of hyped up Nintendo fans, and generally anyone that loves to just kick the crap out of characters like Pikachu or Jigglypuff.

SovanJedi said:
Size is really the least credible argument for or against a character being a boss character - Petey is large, but he's not much bigger than Bowser, and HE'S a playable character.

I could see Black Shadow being a boss character, someone you have to defeat within a certain time limit before, I dunno, stuff happens. Evil things. He kills a kitten.
I can see Blood Falcon as more of a boss character then Black Bull. Simply a color change on Falcon, deepen his voice clips a bit, and ta-da. Automatic boss.

Edit: Meant Black Bull

traveler

Not Wario
What exactly is setting Subspace Emissary apart from Melee's adventure mode besides an attempt to make a new story that ties it all together?

Jiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
I do hope Subspace Emissary isn't entirely original.

I would like a few levels based on Nintendo series in a more fleshed out manner than Melee.
Yeah, or if not in SE then at least in Events (if those are still in) or a separate mode.

Somnid said:
I hope they do limit the platforming as Smash doesn't lend itself too well to it.
It does if you play as Jigglypuff, Peach, or Samus, but otherwise I agree.
(And maybe Meta Knight and Pit also, but I'm expecting them to be more in the "Kirby" kind of boat where they'll have loads of jumps but not enough raw aerial maneuverability to match Jiggs/Peach/Samus.)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Somnid said:

I expect it will be about the same length as the original Adventure Mode in Melee, but much more fleshed out with cutscenes and a storyline of sorts. Hopefully however there will be lots and lots of secret things that turn up when certain conditions are met during stages (Luigi, Giant Kirby, Falco fight, Giga Bowser e.t.c.)

Who knows, the branching stages might actually lead to multiple endings and a huge variety of ways to play through the game (what happens when you save Peach over Zelda?)

Jiggy

traveler said:
What exactly is setting Subspace Emissary apart from Melee's adventure mode besides an attempt to make a new story that ties it all together?
What ShockingAlberto said just before you. :D

Edit: And what SovanJedi said just before me. The branching paths part especially.
Might as well add in that they've created new enemies for this too. SSBM Adventure only had a few (Goombas, Koopas, Redead, Octoroks, Like Likes, and the polar bear and sheep that I always forget the name of) and they were really generic.

Somnid

SovanJedi said:
I expect it will be about the same length as the original Adventure Mode in Melee, but much more fleshed out with cutscenes and a storyline of sorts. Hopefully however there will be lots and lots of secret things that turn up when certain conditions are met during stages (Luigi, Giant Kirby, Falco fight, Giga Bowser e.t.c.)

Who knows, the branching stages might actually lead to multiple endings and a huge variety of ways to play through the game (what happens when you save Peach over Zelda?)

Really? The way it sounds it that it's one big thing that encompasses all characters and thus it will not be able to be completed in a single "reasonable" sitting.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Somnid said:
Really? The way it sounds it that it's one big thing that encompasses all characters and thus it will not be able to be completed in a single "reasonable" sitting.

That's... kind of what I said. Multiple branches/endings, multiple playthroughs. Unless you mean something else.

I don't expect it to be a lengthy game (being that it's an arcade game at heart and therefore destined to be quite short) but will have near infinite replay value, even without hunting down Trophies/Stickers/whatnot.

Jiggy

I wouldn't mind a Star Fox 64 kind of system that much. Say 30 stages, and you go through 14-16 to beat the game on any given run. As long as they all became freely playable after beating them once...

Somnid

SovanJedi said:
That's... kind of what I said. Multiple branches/endings, multiple playthroughs. Unless you mean something else.

I don't expect it to be a lengthy game (being that it's an arcade game at heart and therefore destined to be quite short) but will have near infinite replay value, even without hunting down Trophies/Stickers/whatnot.

No, like the way I have it there's a few stages and boss for the major worlds and mini-worlds for smaller franchises that might be like secret areas. I'm thinking of something that will take at least a few hours on the first run with save points and all that jazz. I also think Classic mode will make a return for the arcade style play.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ant1532 said:
Thanks, fixed it.

You've done such a great job in this thread, guys at Nintendo should thank you for at least one Brawl sale +... mine :)

Really, congrats man!

I'm not big on Smash Bros Gamecube, also 'cause I've never had a chance to play it in multi, but after seeing this labor of love fleshed out in this thread I'm definitely prone to give it another chance!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Somnid said:
No, like the way I have it there's a few stages and boss for the major worlds and mini-worlds for smaller franchises that might be like secret areas. I'm thinking of something that will take at least a few hours on the first run with save points and all that jazz. I also think Classic mode will make a return for the arcade style play.

Ah, I see what you mean now. But I dunno that a game like that would be fitting the Smash Bros. formula, being that it is more designed for quicker plays than other games.

Then again, Classic Mode (which I too think will make a return) could be designated the sole "pick-up-and-play" mode and this could be the big mode that spans many hours of game time , including save points. But still, I doubt it.

I agree with what Jiggy has to say though. Good Jiggy.

GamerSoul

AMUSIX said:
edit:
oh, and on the F-Zero character want sheet:
JODY_psd_jpgcopy.jpg

Besides, she's already been a trophy...

I guess she would be alright(she really needs the Brawl treatment). Her fighting style would probably be similar to Falcon's, But weaker. As long as she doesn't go screaming Jody Paunch/Kick all over the place, I'd welcome her. I'd take Mia and Capt. Syrup over her anyday tho.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Captain Syrup is so incredibly vague a character that I guarantee you the Wikipedia page on her will have 10,000 times the number of hits on it the moment the game comes out, should she be a playable character.

Was she ever in any of the Wario games past Wario Land 3?

Firestorm

Smash is the opposite of Halo to me. Although they're both primarily supposed to be multiplayer games, I buy Halo for the campaign and Smash for the multiplayer. So I'm kind of hoping the Subspace Emissary is fairly short. Single Player is just a way to unlock things for multiplayer. I do hope it's fun to play though.

Jiggy37 said:

And since we're naming characters that'll never happen (Tingle, Ada Wong), I want Malon. Sure, she may seem like a stock Zelda girl, and to be honest, I didn't even like her that much in OoT. But I really like her personality from her short stint in the manga, going from a damsel in distress dreaming of a hero to a no-nonsense ranch girl who smacks a Gerudo thief in the face with a pitchfork.

...Actually, I just want her because having a Marin alternate, Daisy-style, would be the only way she would ever get into Brawl in a million years, but uh, anyway. >_>

Edit: Come to think of it, I don't even have any idea if that manga is official or a fan work. Yeah, I'm not the greatest Zelda follower.

It'll be perfect to me as soon as I find out that Sakurai is in fact catering to both the hardcore and casual and not just one side of the community.

Zelda manga was licensed officially iirc. But it was never translated officially =( The same people did the manga for some other Zelda games and most of them have been unofficially translated.

WastingPenguins said:

With respect to the inclusion of another F-Zero character in brawl, I think there still may be a chance for Black Bull, But it's damn thin.

Scribble

Mona is quite adventurous, and, according to the WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ instruction manual, she is savvy, thinks Wario is always one degree ahead of cool, and likes money (this is indicated when she asks if the player will pay her for teaching him or her). It also shows Wario has inspired most of her strange games. She also likes wild guys.

There is evidence, primarily gleaned from the first two games, that suggests that Wario and Mona share a mutual attraction. In Mega Party Game$!, Mona's bio[2] mentions that she is a bit smitten with him, and in one of the cinemas of Mega Microgame$, Wario dreams of her while muttering the phrase "So cute."
XD

GamerSoul

Scribble said:
Mona is Wario's "Lady" now, unfortunately. :lol

Capt. Syrup is WAY more interesting than Mona. Although I can kinda see Mona getting in somehow as an assist tophy.

Captain Syrup is so incredibly vague a character that I guarantee you the Wikipedia page on her will have 10,000 times the number of hits on it the moment the game comes out, should she be a playable character.

:lol So true.

papercut

If we're to get more WarioWare characters, it might as well be Kat and Ana. They're already fighters! Plus it would be cool to have another two-in-one character ala Ice Climbers.

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
It'll be perfect to me as soon as I find out that Sakurai is in fact catering to both the hardcore and casual and not just one side of the community.
I don't see how it's possible for the game to not cater to the hardcore. Even if the game has been incredibly streamlined for casual purposes, it's not like the hardcore won't work to figure out how to break as many mechanics as possible and introduce "unintentional" depth on their own.

Zelda manga was licensed officially iirc. But it was never translated officially =( The same people did the manga for some other Zelda games and most of them have been unofficially translated.
Ah. Well, at least it's an official story. Now I can hold out blind hope. >_>

Jiggy

Chumly said:
So are we gonna finally get Captain Falcon confirmed tonight?
We've never had two character profiles on consecutive update days before, but I guess there's always a possibility when it's Sakurai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom