• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Peeps who can read Japanese...

What does the japanese page have to say about the delay? I'm assuming it points the new date out directly rather than something along the lines of the vague message the US site had?

Insaniac

Jiggy37 said:
Hold it!
No there aren't. :p Just counting SSBM characters, we haven't gotten Captain Falcon, Ness, Luigi, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Falco, Sheik, Young Link, Mewtwo, Mr. Game and Watch, Marth, Dr. Mario, Pichu, or Roy. Even assuming half of those characters get cut (which seems like a high estimate to me), that's still seven more character slots.

And that would still be assuming that all newcomers had been revealed, which is probably not safe to assume. So in reality it's more like 10+ character slots left.

What exactly have you been "checking"? :p The Pokemon Trainer model is from Fire Red/Leaf Green, and Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard are all first-generation Pokemon.

This isn't to say that Jigglypuff will return. I'm dead afraid that she won't (though I was also biting my nails every day for SSBM until I found out she was back), but just saying that the Smash Bros. series hasn't shown an inclination to use D/P Pokemon, so that's not a strong reason.
Actually, Pokemon has been the SSB series that seems most resistant to getting new characters from the new games. SSBM added a third R/B character in addition to the G/S character, and now it's SSBB and we've basically gotten three more R/B characters. This is as compared to, say, Legend of Zelda, where Link's moves are updated to Twilight Princess standards, or Mario, where FLUDD's brought in, etc.

couldn't we also strongly believe that some newcomers will be unlockable and thus not revealed on the site till after the release?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
AniHawk said:
I like that what appears to be Sonic's down-b attack is his down attack from Sonic the Fighters.

I can't believe how FUN Sonic looks...

And as mentioned before, the sound effects are PERFECTION

Darkpen

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
What exactly have you been "checking"? :p The Pokemon Trainer model is from Fire Red/Leaf Green, and Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard are all first-generation Pokemon.
if you read the sentence PREVIOUS to the one you bolded, you would know. Also, the fire red/leaf green Pokemon Trainer thing has nothing to do with what I was talking about :| Why not try to understand what I'm saying before commenting on it? Jigglypuff and Pikachu's significance only stems from the anime. If it wasn't for the anime, Pikachu would have been among the least important pokemon out there, with the rest.

Scribble

Jiggy37 said:
This isn't to say that Jigglypuff will return. I'm dead afraid that she won't (though I was also biting my nails every day for SSBM until I found out she was back)

Well, at least people haven't been screaming JIGGLYPUFF OUT???// because of Sonic's spindash.

Actually, Pokemon has been the SSB series that seems most resistant to getting new characters from the new games. SSBM added a third R/B character in addition to the G/S character, and now it's SSBB and we've basically gotten three more R/B characters.

I'm glad Sakurai and the Smash Team have their head screwed on when it comes to this. The original 151 have a legacy, and EVERYONE probably knows them off by heart. I'm extremely happy that they don't seem to be going the "let's represent one pokemon per generation for the hell of it" route.

I think Lucario should be in, though. He'll does represent the DP generation, but he IS extremely popular in his own right.

And a question to everyone: If you had to choose a pokemon to be dropped, between Jigglypuff and Mewtwo (I won't include Pichu for obvious reasons), who would you pick?

Enk

makes good threads.
Comic said:
He's always been HIP and COOL, just he never really got to talk before the Dreamcast.... outside of his cartoon series, that is.

sonic.jpg

This is what I meant.

Insaniac

i keep watching the trailer. "Coming Soon"

I wish that meant an earlier than expected release date. Sakurai did say there was only a little development left.

PkunkFury

Insaniac said:
i keep watching the trailer. "Coming Soon"

I wish that meant an earlier than expected release date. Sakurai did say there was only a little development left.

maybe they moved it to give Mario & Sonic at the Olympics a chance to sell on the mario vs. Sonic high for a month :\

Just watched the two movies.. i creamed my pants so much... i definetely cant wait for this game now.. btw, is it delayed in the US? Or is the January release date for Japan?

Darkpen

Banned
Enk said:
sonic.jpg

This is what I meant.
I'm just going to take a moment to laugh.

Okay, look, get this through your head: SONIC HAS ALWAYS BEEN HIP AND COOL LIKE THAT. ALWAYS.

Why do you think his animations are the way they were back on the old Sega systems? To differentiate himself from Mario. If anything, Mario's the one who has always been "mature,"and by "mature" I mean totally emotionless except for death.

For christ's sake, Sonic actually had "character," albeit one dimensional.

It was Sonic's attitude and differentiation from Mario that made him stand out from the crowd. His idle animation of tapping his foot, his shacking of his finger in the opening title screen, everything screamed attitude. The cartoons only added to that.

scottnak

flipping_heck said:
Just watched the two movies.. i creamed my pants so much... i definetely cant wait for this game now.. btw, is it delayed in the US? Or is the January release date for Japan?
Check the release date on the US site on the left.
It's back to "TBD"

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
flipping_heck said:

How can everyone else watch the two movies except for me! Its still freaking loading and no, I am not running on a 56k modem. Jesus.

Jiggy

Insaniac said:
couldn't we also strongly believe that some newcomers will be unlockable and thus not revealed on the site till after the release?
That's exactly what I believe, but I don't think fronn was trying to suggest that by saying there were "only a couple character slots left."

Scribble said:
I'm glad Sakurai and the Smash Team have their head screwed on when it comes to this. The original 151 have a legacy, and EVERYONE probably knows them off by heart. I'm extremely happy that they don't seem to be going the "let's represent one pokemon per generation for the hell of it" route.
Same sentiment here. :D

Darkpen said:
if you read the sentence PREVIOUS to the one you bolded, you would know. Also, the fire red/leaf green Pokemon Trainer thing has nothing to do with what I was talking about :| Why not try to understand what I'm saying before commenting on it? Jigglypuff and Pikachu's significance only stems from the anime. If it wasn't for the anime, Pikachu would have been among the least important pokemon out there, with the rest.
Okay, I misunderstood what you were talking about by "it." I was tracing back two sentences, thinking you were talking about Smash Bros. Sorry. :(

But... I don't see how my argument would change if I knew you were talking about the anime. >_> Squirtle and Charizard probably got in because they were important in the first few seasons, like Jigglypuff, and Ivysaur is similar enough to Bulbasaur. The significance of all three Pokemon in the anime has diminished quite a bit even though they were brought back for token Battle Frontier appearances, but they were still first in line to be put in Brawl. So with that in mind, I don't see what's stopping an original-151 Pokemon from returning just because the anime has progressed forward.

RagnarokX

fairy1.jpg

fairy2.jpg

Link releasing a fairy as a taunt.

Also I am fairly certain the lava place is Norfair, Zero Mission style; which would fit with Samus and ZSS' designs being based on Zero Mission.

Enk

makes good threads.
Darkpen said:
I'm just going to take a moment to laugh.

Okay, look, get this through your head: SONIC HAS ALWAYS BEEN HIP AND COOL LIKE THAT. ALWAYS.

Why do you think his animations are the way they were back on the old Sega systems? To differentiate himself from Mario. If anything, Mario's the one who has always been "mature,"and by "mature" I mean totally emotionless except for death.

For christ's sake, Sonic actually had "character," albeit one dimensional.

It was Sonic's attitude and differentiation from Mario that made him stand out from the crowd. His idle animation of tapping his foot, his shacking of his finger in the opening title screen, everything screamed attitude. The cartoons only added to that.

Allow me further explaination. Yes Sonic has always been the hip mascot, but I'm talking about the art style too. This art for me "is" what Sonic was. Sonic was cool back in the day but his actions were always more reserved and less "IN YOUR FACE, I AM SO F'N EDGY AND SUCH A F'N SMARTASS MASCOT" type character. All he had was that toe tapping glare and intense look. Even the world design was more akin to Mario than his outing from today are. And the cartoon were no less representative to the character than the Zelda cartoons were for Link. The HIP Sonc design didn't start to show up until Adventure and steadily got worse from there.

KingJ2002

since the nintendo sega wars are now dead

how is it that nintendo can make sonic not only cool... but fun to play with while sega struggles with each outing? im not going to lie... as a fan i look forward to all the adventure games (please make the next one good sega... please) but that little clip of sonic running through the underground gave took me back a decade as well as gave a glimpse of how sonic would play in 2.5D on a console (not counting sonic 3D blast)

Jiggy

Stats and analysis, and then I'm crashing after this night of insanity.

-This is the 8th megaton by my standards, those being The Musicians (May 22nd), the Four Types of Control (June 8th), assist trophies (July 2nd), Subspace Emissary (August 3rd), My Music (September 7th), Wi-Fi (September 18th), co-op (October 5th), and Sonic (October 10th).
The megatons have been getting more frequent as time passes--they've progressed from one per month to two per month, and October hasn't gotten that far underway yet. If you disagree with calling anything out of The Musicians, control schemes, and assist trophies "megatons," it becomes even more true that megatons are getting more frequent... And, again, same is true if you count Lucas or Pokemon Trainer as megatons.
It's all subjective, anyway. This is just my perspective.

-Sonic is the 22nd character profile, and we're in the 21st week of updates. A good sign for those wanting an average of one character per week.

-This is the second character movie; I'm going to separate those into a new category now since Snake and Sonic have had kind of similar introductions.

-There have been two Sonic updates. That's tied with Mother, more than F-Zero or Ice Climbers, and less than everything else.

-Sonic as a character is one of ten to not have a final smash update yet. Sonic as a series is one of five that hasn't had a stage update yet, and one of seven to not have music yet. (But at least it has a character profile, unlike F-Zero and Animal Crossing.)

jts

...hate me...
Yoboman said:
Sonic's the name speed's my game

Ugh... They really brought him and all of his lameness into Smash Bros. I sincerely regret wanting him in it now
Actually you're on to something there. Atleast this Sonic is lame as hell and brings the coolness of Smash down a notch.

But anyway i suppose it's better for him to be there attracting more players and making some people stop bitching etc etc.

Jiggy

I personally think Mega Man is just short of a guarantee at this point.

...Alright, I'm really going to sleep now. About an hour after my head hits the pillow, anyway, since that'll be about the time I can stop thinking about Sonic in Brawl, Fire Emblem DS, Star Soldier R, Pokemon Ranch, and everything else on Wii Ware. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom