• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperAngelo64 said:
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in Brawl, I'm just saying Pac-Man, the mascot character is not as popular as people believe, and really doesn't hold a candle to Mario, Sonic, Megaman, or Link.

That's what the original debate was about. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in Brawl. He's a neat character and I think they could go places with it.

Also:

I will fucking lol if tonight's update is Pac-Man
I think Pac-Man is still very much alive and well in the general public consciousness.

Pac-Man has been having a little revival. We had 'Pac-Man Vs.' on Gamecube and DS. 'Pac-Man CE' has been huge on Xbox 360. 'Pac-Man' was also one of the first iPod games released. And 'Pac-Man' is also one of the most popular cell phone games.

Just with the iPod and cell phones alone, Pac-Man is more available to the general public than either Megaman or Link.

Crocodile

Jiggy37 said:

Um.....ok. I guess thank you for sharing your thoughts. The original summary paragraph at the top would have been plenty to answer my question but if I gave you an opportunity to blow off some steam and regain inner peace I don't mind. I can certainly understand and agree with some of the stated points. I must say that I do appreciate the KSS remake because I only played the game through a rental many years ago and would like to play it again and own it this time. But yeah, hopefully we see new Kirby games in the future with similar or higher quality standards.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
Dragon Quest IX, and IV:

DS 3D usually earns The Amir0x Reaction from me. >_> Character customization is one of the greatest features in all of gaming, so to some extent I can be content with that in DQIX, but it doesn't cover for the 3D used for the enemies and towns and everything else other than the characters.
As for IV, what I mean by "something resembling DS 3D" is that this still plays in perfect 2D, yet uses 3D assets for whatever bizarre reason that boggles the mind and makes me generally disgruntled. I want my new sprite hotness. ;_;

I don't hate DS 3D, but I do agree that sprites would have worked better for Dragon Quest.

Jiggy37 said:
Kirby Super Star:

There is nothing wrong with this game itself, rather the implications of it. For 11 years all I've wanted to see from the Kirby series is a new Kirby game with the KSS mechanics. I can understand if a team wants to try something entirely different rather than redo what's been perfected before, but the teams working on Kirby platformers (I stress, the platformers only) clearly aren't aiming for radial change--they've mostly just been copying half the KSS ideas and leaving the other half behind. Thankfully, the SNES game was so classic and excellent that taking even half of it is sufficient to make a great game by most standards, but when I think of what I want from another Kirby game I move past wanting "great" and into "legendary."

So now there's another legendary traditional Kirby platformer, but in fact it's a second verse that's same as the first, which is awesome for the present but doesn't provide much hope for the future. I mean, if they had access to the Kirby Super Star engine, which they probably did since this is Nintendo we're talking about, why couldn't they have used it to make a new game?

I'll definitely agree that a new Kirby game with the Super Star engine would have been excellent. However, I'm happy with the remake for now. Both Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad, the two newest "traditional" Kirby platformers have already been taking increasing cues from Super Star. Amazing Mirror brought back the extended movesets for abilities and the entire game structure was basically an extended Great Cave Offensive. Squeak Squad expanded the movesets further and brought back Ninja (but no Yo-Yo? Where's the Mirror and Yo-Yo love?) and the Halberd. The game was a more traditional stage-based affair, though the secret areas and powerup rooms were reminiscent of Dyna Blade.

The only Super Star elements that a new Kirby game could reincorporate at this point (I'm talking general game concepts, not specific characters or abilities) are the two player co-op and the segregated "mini-games". With any luck, later Kirby titles will incorporate the two player co-op and we'll have the spiritual successor to Super Star we've been waiting for. ;)

In all honesty, the reused sprites are the biggest thing that bother me about the Super Star remake. Now, don't get me wrong; I'm as far from a graphics whore as you can get. But Super Star DS doesn't look notably different from Nightmare in Dreamland. The handheld Kirby games are getting as bad about reusing sprites as the classic Mega Man games or the new Castlevania games. Now, the sprites in Kirby are very appealing, so that's a point in its favour, but I'd like to see characters like Kirby and King Dedede get a new sprite set from time to time to keep the visuals varied.

As much as I disliked Dreamland 3, another game with that graphical style might be nice.

Jiggy37 said:
And if Super Smash Bros. Brawl had been Super Smash Bros. Melee with online play and better graphics, I'm that guy who actually wouldn't have complained, I kid you not. I don't even need anything as drastic as that. If in reality there's a $50 Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2009 Special Edition with nothing different except that it has a new alternate outfit for each character, I'll lap it up at full price like the pitiful capitalist consumer I am, even knowing and dreading in advance that since I'll pitifully be the only buyer of such a thing, I'll get flooded with requests to send screenshots of Peach's new panty shots via the photo mode, as well as shots of Snake grabbing new Zelda from behind, and Fox's pants because everyone Crushed would want to know whether they were still like NOTHIN' AT ALL.

Alas, I would likely do the same thing. =/

Jiggy37 said:
I digress again, and that was another on-topic digression related to Smash Bros. (Am I doing good? Don't ban me. :( Iam Canadian got his Mother 3 rant!)

Heh. Your rant is better written and more coherent (not to mention calm) than mine. Mine was basically stream-of-consciousness at its finest. There was no brain-to-keys filter at work there.

Jiggy37 said:
Hoping for that Jigglypuff profile tonight, in 45 minutes! :D SuperAndroid17 to be owned, yep.

I'm going with Captain Falcon on this one.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Nahhhhhhh it won't be Pac-Man. If they take a character from Namco, I hope its like Devil Jin or Diaper Heihachi.

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
I've seriously got to stop talking myself out of posting things. I actually had the whole thing written up, but oh well, here we go. >_>

Original paragraph to the best of my memory:
AHA! I was right with most of my guesses!

Let me try to guess!

Star Ocean 2 - Art design from the Black Lagoon
Advance Wars DS 2 - Gimped CO Powers
Dragon Quest IX - Now turn-based boredom
Dragon Quest IV - No idea
Kirby Super Star - No clue!
Fire Emblem DS - See Star Ocean 2

sp0rsk said:
Nahhhhhhh it won't be Pac-Man. If they take a character from Namco, I hope its like Devil Jin or Diaper Heihachi.

This is joke, right? Cuz I'm not going to buy Brawl if this happens.
OK, I'll buy it, but I will complain vociferously.

m00

Staccat0 said:
SuperAngelo64 said:
Don't play that game. I know exactly what your saying. I just disagree. The "new" design of pac man has appeared on several Nintendo systems IIRC. He also is not new. He was the image on the side of the arcade cabinets wasn't he? He's been there and he' a legend. He was a marketing craze like Pokemon actually, but you and I weren't around.
QFT. Here's a flyer for Super Pac-Man, which was released in 1982:

2a61fn8.jpg

Wikipedia says that Sakurai was born in 1970, so he would have been twelve at the time.

Grecco

I Really wanna play Mother 3 now. That last stage is pretty awesome

btw i predict the already shown Advance Wars support tophy

Jiggy

For Namco I want my Sagi/Milly/Guillo team, if they even count as "Namco" anymore.
If they don't, then bring on... oh, I don't know. Sophitia from Soul Calibur. Yeah, let's go with that. It'd be the only hope I'd ever have of getting Cassandra (as an alternate even though their fighting styles are different), who of course is the more better sister. :D She could be fought in Skyworld, naturally.

Kirby's final smash should have been inspired by Canvas Curse. He should have become a perfect sphere and would roll around the level on the rainbow lines you draw.

Either that, or they just need to make Kirby Canvas Curse 2 for Wii.

Iam Canadian

AndoCalrissian said:
Kirby's final smash should have been inspired by Canvas Curse. He should have become a perfect sphere and would roll around the level on the rainbow lines you draw.

Either that, or they just need to make Kirby Canvas Curse 2 for Wii.

I think the Canvas Curse gameplay would work better on DS.

The graphics would sure be pretty in the Wii version, though.

sp0rsk said:
Who?

If a character comes from Namco, you'd better believe it will be Pac-Man. I hope that doesn't happen though, because I hate Pac-Man and don't want him to tarnish the good Smash Bros. name.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
AndoCalrissian said:
Who?

If a character comes from Namco, you'd better believe it will be Pac-Man. I hope that doesn't happen though, because I hate Pac-Man and don't want him to tarnish the good Smash Bros. name.
Pac-Man doesn't tarnish, he just makes things bland.

If Brawl can make Sonic into a positive (reversing his usual negative effect on games), then just imagine what it could do for Pac-Man!

Iam Canadian said:
I think the Canvas Curse gameplay would work better on DS.

The graphics would sure be pretty in the Wii version, though.
For a final smash it would be pretty bad-ass -- the cooking one seems kind of lame to me. Regardless, I'd just like a new Canvas Curse. This Squeak Squad and Super Star stuff kills me when they did such a great job with a unique control interface.

Dreavus

Keeping in stride with the C Falcon predictions and Jigglypuff speculation, I'm starting to think that maybe Sakurai wants to keep the four secret characters from the original game secret in Brawl as well. We haven't got Ness (I think this may be because of Lucas though), Falcon, Jiggy, or Luigi yet; perhaps he sees this as some form of nostalgia for us smash "vets"?

Of course I could be proven completely wrong in the next 2 minutes.

EDIT: 1 minute?

Iam Canadian

AndoCalrissian said:
Who?

How can you hate Pac-Man?

Seriously! How?

Pac-Man doesn't tarnish, he just makes things bland.

If Brawl can make Sonic into a positive (reversing his usual negative effect on games), then just imagine what it could do for Pac-Man!
Pac-Man can just go away forever, thank you. Terrible character. Maybe iconic, but still terrible.

As for Sonic, Sega needs to let the Brawl team take a crack at a full Sonic side-scroller after they finish Brawl. Their character model looks and animates beautifully, and I'm guessing that playing through adventure mode with him will be the best Sonic game in recent memory.

Iam Canadian

AndoCalrissian said:
For a final smash it would be pretty bad-ass -- the cooking one seems kind of lame to me. Regardless, I'd just like a new Canvas Curse. This Squeak Squad and Super Star stuff kills me when they did such a great job with a unique control interface.

You know, I love the Canvas Curse gameplay, but I'd like to see it applied to its own IP. I still love the traditional Kirby gameplay too much to see it die.

Iam Canadian

Sweet, Home Run Contest.

I see Sakurai put a shield around the platform to keep incompetents such as myself from accidentally knocking Sandbag down with a weak attack.

And online play? Sweet Jesus, this will be addicting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom