• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony official financial report (10/25),PS3 worldwide sales revealed

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Phoenix Down said:
Sony Predicts they can sell 1 million in the UK alone this holiday.. considering its there first holiday and they have a good price.. i think they can exceed that goal

Overall all i see sony selling more Worldwide.. japan numbers will be interesting because of the pricedrop, White sku, and GT5P

November NPD we will see sony outsell MS because of the price drop frenzy... December NPD will be REALLY close between them.... Somebody book mark this

Do you want to make a ban bet on the November NPD? No way the PS3 outsells the 360 in NA in November.

justjohn

erm they've sold half a million already in the uk in less than a year without any holiday, and you dont think they wil ever sell a million? alright dude.

Shepherd said:
Do you want to make a ban bet on the November NPD? No way the PS3 outsells the 360 in NA in November.

I would love to make a ban bet.. but i allready have too many going on.. lets me a advatar bet.. if i win i get to pick your advatar and vice versa :)

justjohn said:
erm they've sold half a million already in the uk in less than a year without any holiday, and you dont think they wil ever sell a million? alright dude.

yea Sho nuff is funny.. after he said that his cred was lost

gkryhewy

Phoenix Down said:
yea Sho nuff is funny.. after he said that his cred was lost

No - he implied that 1M LTD by that point would be reasonable, but that 1M sold in December alone is insane.

Are you intentionally misunderstanding?

justjohn

gkrykewy said:
No - he implied that 1M LTD by that point would be reasonable, but that 1M sold in December alone is insane.

Are you intentionally misunderstanding?
he never said they would sell 1 million in december. he said the userbase would reach 1 million by december

beerbelly

Banned
Hey Phoenix Down, you seem to be very intrigued with console sales/war as the majority of your posts are involved in that. Why is your activity in NPD sales threads minimal to none?

gkryhewy

justjohn said:
he never said they would sell 1 million in december. he said the userbase would reach 1 million by december

ShoNuff can defend himself, but PD said Sony expected to sell 1M in the UK this holiday. Not BY this holiday:

Phoenix Down said:
Sony Predicts they can sell 1 million in the UK alone this holiday

I have trouble believing that's what Sony actually said, but that's what he said they said.

beerbelly said:
Hey Phoenix Down, you seem to be very intrigued with console sales/war as the majority of your posts are involved in that. Why is your activity in NPD sales threads minimal to none?

He's fairly new and he was banned during the last NPD thread cycle.

justjohn said:

gkrykewy is right.

Phoenix Down's statement "they think they can sell 1 million units in the UK alone this holiday" implied that Sony intends to sell an additional 1 million units from now until Dec. 31st, which would mean (since they've sold ~500k) a 200% increase in userbase in a span of 3 months, as I said. 1 million LTD sales by the end of the year is a much more reasonable goal IMO, and it's still a bit farfetched.

justjohn

well if he said they can sell 1 million in december then thats obviously impossible. i thought he said they will increase the userbase to a milion.
btw which shonuff are you? you two confuse the hell out of me

justjohn said:
well if he said they can sell 1 million in december then thats obviously impossible. i thought he said they will increase the userbase to a milion.
btw which shonuff are you? you two confuse the hell out of me

The other Sho Nuff has been a user here longer than I have I think.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
gkrykewy is right.

Phoenix Down's statement "they think they can sell 1 million units in the UK alone this holiday" implied that Sony intends to sell an additional 1 million units from now until Dec. 31st, which would mean (since they've sold ~500k) a 200% increase in userbase in a span of 3 months, as I said. 1 million LTD sales by the end of the year is a much more reasonable goal IMO, and it's still a bit farfetched.

It's not out of the question, Christmas sales are huge compared to the rest of the year.

beerbelly said:

i was banned last time brother.. i got 30 days.. look forward to my predictions in the future

mr_bishiuk said:
It is! Thats way more than the PS2 ever did in a year!

How much did the PS2 do in a year? 500k in 6 months is 1m a year without even taking Christmas into account. (Granted, half those sales were at launch).

OliveJuice said:
5.59 million sold isn't bad at all, however it's to retailers right? I still think PS3 will do alright this generation. Nowhere near PS2, but still better then GCN or Xbox.

They were hoping to sell 6 milion by the Euro launch, so I doubt they're celebrating.

5.59 million sold isn't bad at all, however it's to retailers right? I still think PS3 will do alright this generation. Nowhere near PS2, but still better then GCN or Xbox.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The real Sho Nuff wants nothing to do with this ban betting madness

All Sho Nuff wants is a reason for his PS3 to do something other than Folding all day long

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
OliveJuice said:

To me that is almost fact, the PS3 has a couple of advantages the Cube never got.
-large 3rd party support
-Mutiplatform games because of development costs
-Sony Brand name
-High sales in consideration to price

With that said, the important question is whether the PS3 will sell a small amount over the cube, or whether it will sell a massive amount over the cube. The PS3 could definitely go to the next generation smelling the roses if they have 50 million sales on the other hand, they could be smelling like a turd if they sell 25 million.

Hcoregamer00 said:
To me that is almost fact, the PS3 has a couple of advantages the Cube never got.
-large 3rd party support
-Sony Brand name

With that said, the important question is whether the PS3 will sell a small amount over the cube, or whether it will sell a massive amount over the cube. The PS3 could definitely go to the next generation smelling the roses if they have 50 million sales on the other hand, they could be smelling like a turd if they sell 25 million.

I don't get these GCN comparisons at all, the GameCube sold to Nintendo fans or people wanting a cheap console. The PS3 is not for Nintendo fans or people wanting a cheap console!

Graphics Horse said:
I don't get these GCN comparisons at all, the GameCube sold to Nintendo fans or people wanting a cheap console. The PS3 is not for Nintendo fans or people wanting a cheap console!

Yeah, it's for Blu-Ray fans and the people who have deluded themselves into thinking a videogame console is anything more than a toy.

Hcoregamer00 said:
-large 3rd party support
-Sony Brand name

I think they're large 3rd party support won't do much if all they release are multi-platform titles, which are generally better on 360. I believe that PS3 will gain a good amount of sales over the GCN and Xbox due to the price cuts and upcoming exclusive games. It still won't be that big of a lead though. They need more exclusives, or even multi-platform games that are better on PS3. I think Sony will definitely try to do something about this.

JoshuaJSlone said:
So far it's pretty close, though GCN did have a more spaced-out worldwide launch period than the others.
They are very similar. I think PS3 has a chance of pulling ahead starting from this holiday till the end of next.

Frillen

beermonkey@tehbias said:
He's fairly new and he was banned during the last NPD thread cycle.

Doesn't surprise me.

It still baffle me how people still don't have the knowledge tat SONY never operates with sold to consumers, but sold to retailers.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
OliveJuice said:

The last solid sold-through-to-schlubs-like-you-and-me number was just under 5.5M by end of July. (Before that the last sold number I remember was about 3.5M sold-through, and ~5.6M shipped by end of March.)

So, the just-under 6M figure for end of Sept. sounds about right. I think we can count on at least 1M more by end of Xmas season (Oct to Dec.), for a 7+ Million sold-through in the first 13months.

Not bad.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Frillen said:
Doesn't surprise me.

It still baffle me how people still don't have the knowledge tat SONY never operates with sold to consumers, but sold to retailers.

As with MS, it's not "never". They're regular numbers are shipped/sold-retailers, but a couple times a year we see the solid user-base numbers. I remember March's was 3.5M and July's between 5M to 5.5M.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Koren said:
I really really doubt they didn't wanted to sell 100 million consoles lifetime for PS3.

I think they expected a slow beginning, and reaching these numbers in several years, after the price would have reached ~$200. They didn't expected that people would be ready to buy other consoles instead of waiting for a cheaper PS3 (and instead staying ith PS2 for a couple of years).
So basically you're saying for PS3 everything is going according to plan, predictions and expectations.

Top Bottom