• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony official financial report (10/25),PS3 worldwide sales revealed

rakka

plagiarize said:
in terms of software, to date, it's worse... but that's a different argument.
which is why i mentioned in my first post (or one of the first), 5m+ while lacking software is no way a disaster, especially if you look at the systems strong, yes strong, 2008-9 lineup...

rakka said:
which is why i mentioned in my first post (or one of the first), 5m+ while lacking software is no way a disaster, especially if you look at the systems strong, yes strong, 2008-9 lineup...
and i'll tell you again...

i'm not saying it's a disaster.

this isn't a binary situation, where something either sells well, or it's a disaster. i don't think it's been disasterous so far. i guess if you think the gamecube was disasterous at this point you may have thought i was saying that, but gamecube sales weren't that bad for the first couple of years.

sales aren't great. they're passable. average. salvagable.

edit: let me phrase what i'm trying to say another way. look at PSP sales. MGS:pO came out and sold great on the PSP, but after it was done selling sales of hardware went back to the same levels it was at before the game came out and software sales (apart from PO) stayed flat. the game caused a spike, not an increase that was sustained after it came out.

to my knowledge that's basically the same for just about any best selling game on any platform.

why should MGS be able to turn around the PS3 when it couldn't turn around the PSP, which is doing better than the PS3 hardware wise? the psp had a similar reputation a year or so into it's life. when the great games showed up, they didn't cause a sustained increase in sales.

yet people are STILL holding onto the same hope for the PS3 that they held onto for the PSP. that's what i don't get.

tanod

when is my burrito
:lol

Somebody said in the MS financial thread that they know that MS is doing well because of the amount of trolling in the thread. By that logic, you'd think that Sony was selling double what the Wii is right now. :lol

Norse

does the IPO for the insurance arm of Sony count as income? Overall not bad numbers cept for the playstation portion. And what about the selling of the cell chip lines to toshiba? Those in here? If both of my questions are answered with a yes, does that change the outlook a bit?

spwolf

Norse said:
does the IPO for the insurance arm of Sony count as income? Overall not bad numbers cept for the playstation portion. And what about the selling of the cell chip lines to toshiba? Those in here? If both of my questions are answered with a yes, does that change the outlook a bit?

neither, but they did sell part of property they owned... and they still made money...

their margins are up to 6.x% from 2% last year, so thats pretty big deal...

JCBossman

Banned
Well didn't one Sony Exec say they would sell 5 mil. with NO games...He was about right:D
Just a joke actually 5 mil isn't really that bad.It's all going to come down to what the $399 system can push(and how many they can get out)

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:
The MNG series is comparable if not larger than MGS in Japan. I know MGS is considered a big gun, and politically I will concede that it is, but it's not on the level of FFXIII or GT5. We honestly don't know what those two games will do because they are by leaps and measures the biggest weapons in the Sony arsenal. MGS4, as far as Japan is concerned, will be another MNG. Which isn't a bad thing, per se, but it's important to know its place in the scheme of things.

from bare sales perspective, yes, but MNG is not an system show-off/seller... like MGS, FFXIII and GT5 will be. With GT5 and FFXIII they can take it and say here is what we do and what we do better. MGS is part of that as well even if traditionally, it really sold better to western audience...

if that will actually help or not, lord knows...

siamesedreamer said:
Maybe not worldwide, but in the US I don't see how it can be classified any other way.

That's because you lack perspective. the Ps3 isnt anywhere NEAR "disaster" class.

The master system was a "disaster" here.
The Jaguar was a "disaster" here.
The 3DO was a "disaster."
The CDI was a "disaster."
The Virtual Boy was a "disaster."

Almost nothing else qualifies. Those systems struggled to stay on the radar with even hard core gamers. breaking a million systems sold was practically a hopeless pipe dream. They had bad games, bad hardware, and little to no name recognition. (except for the VB, but that thing was so busted it didn't matter.)

The PS3 hasn't yet been out for a full year. It has amazingly solid hardware (especially for a Sony product) Great games coming down the pipe, a massive ad budget and it STILL has good name recognition in spite of slow sales.

The Ps3's primary obstacle is the price of the unit. $200 above and beyond the 360 was simply too much to ask, but that hurdle has been overcome, and WAY sooner than anyone thought.

Will the ps3 do PS2 numbers? hell no. Will it do respectably here? Certainly. It'll probably end up selling somewhere between the SNES and N64 worldwide when everything's said and done, and the competition will be good for the market.

StevieP

Banned
I'd say you're looking closer to the N64... or maybe you should look closer to the Cube/XBox level of sales if these trends continue.

siamesedreamer said:
Maybe not worldwide, but in the US I don't see how it can be classified any other way.

Depends on what you mean by "disaster". The SCE unit is hemorrhaging money and I can't imagine many executives there are sleeping well. But the U.S. has better times coming, and a slate of great games that will make an impact (even if not the size of one that Sony would like).

The PS3 is performing like Xbox did, i.e. a financial disaster but not an artistic one.

StevieP said:
I'd say you're looking closer to the N64... or maybe you should look closer to the Cube/XBox level of sales if these trends continue.

I'd disagree for a couple of reasons. The N64 was crippled by a lack of third party games. Entire GENRES were totally absent on the N64. It had a strong first year with Mario 64 and the odd game like Zelda and Goldeneye but it was a downhill slide after that. The Ps3 has no lack of third party games. Third parties games are in plentiful supply on the Ps3.

The Xbox1 sold great here, and was universally ignored overseas. If Japan and the EU actually paid attention to the thing, it would have stomped the cube easily. As it was it was doing Great in one territory, and shit everywhere else. The Ps3 has Good EU sales, potentially good US sales (assuming sales pick up on the price drop) and potentially good JP sales once the games the japanese actually care about start showing up on the system.

JP sales are slow now, but with the Xbox nonexistent over there, Gamers who want to play Biohazard, DMC, etc will pick one up. Plus, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear WILL move systems.

The Gamecube looked like a purple kids toy, down to the handle. The Ps3 is much sexier.

it will outperform both the Xbox and GC. Hell, the PSP is obliterating GC and Xbox sales. The PS3 will do just fine.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Manmademan said:
I'd disagree for a couple of reasons. The N64 was crippled by a lack of third party games. Entire GENRES were totally absent on the N64. It had a strong first year with Mario 64 and the odd game like Zelda and Goldeneye but it was a downhill slide after that. The Ps3 has no lack of third party games. Third parties games are in plentiful supply on the Ps3.

The Xbox1 sold great here, and was universally ignored overseas. If Japan and the EU actually paid attention to the thing, it would have stomped the cube easily. As it was it was doing Great in one territory, and shit everywhere else. The Ps3 has Good EU sales, potentially good US sales (assuming sales pick up on the price drop) and potentially good JP sales once the games the japanese actually care about start showing up on the system.

JP sales are slow now, but with the Xbox nonexistent over there, Gamers who want to play Biohazard, DMC, etc will pick one up. Plus, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear WILL move systems.

The Gamecube looked like a purple kids toy, down to the handle. The Ps3 is much sexier.

it will outperform both the Xbox and GC. Hell, the PSP is obliterating GC and Xbox sales. The PS3 will do just fine.

IAWTP from beginning to end.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

JP sales will definitely pick up - but Sony`s problem in Japan isn`t the X360 - it`s Nintendo. It`s becoming more and more apparent tha the Japanese don`t really care that much about graphics, so it`ll be interesting to see what happens.

The buzz here is for Nintendo and i think it`ll be FF that can turn things round here (whether the turnaround is permanent is another question) , i don`t think MGS is going to do much for system sales. They`ll go up, but not for any sustained prolonged period, and i don`t expect a massive spike.

It really is all about FF and GT5 right now.

Wow, I just realized that Sony's gaming division losses last quarter are 56% of Nintendo's profits (the entire company):

Nintendo 3Q profits - 132 billion yen
Sony Gaming Division 3Q losses - 73.7 billion yen

Since Sony's PS2 and PSP are very profitable, that means the PS3 is hurting Sony very much financially, even more than their gaming division losses alone would tell you.

What would PS3's losses be last quarter without an offset from PS2 and PSP profits? 100 billion yen or more?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Manmademan said:

Very good points. It's even outselling the GBA at this point isn't it? Some people on here are on crack, don't mind them.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Manmademan said:
That's because you lack perspective. the Ps3 isnt anywhere NEAR "disaster" class.

The master system was a "disaster" here.
The Jaguar was a "disaster" here.
The 3DO was a "disaster."
The CDI was a "disaster."
The Virtual Boy was a "disaster."

what??! The Master System wasn't a "disaster". Sure it was crushed by the NES, but the market was so different Sega managed to stay afloat with it, and did rather well in some territories.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Joshua said:
They've stopped updating the production shipments, though. They only go to March.
Well March update on website was several weeks after the financial reports were issued. Could be web updates are just delayed.

lockload

oo Kosma oo said:
This is true.

The PS3 is outselling the 360 in Europe and Japan, despite the lower price , bigger library and a year headstart of the 360.

The consumer has spoken.

Its even in europe although the PS3 benefited from the initial launch sales very well since then the 360 has caught up in the last 6 months

Anyway due to the numbers in the US the 360 is still maintaining if not extending that lead worldwide

Raistlin

Manmademan said:

QFTAJ

StevieP

Banned
Manmademan said:

The PSP is indeed outselling the GC and the XBox. But as for the PS3... again, look at the trends. Ah hell, I wish I had charts like JoshuaJ.

Sony reported today that they expect to double the forecasted losses for thier gaming division: http://uk.reuters.com/article/techn...edType=RSS&feedName=technology-media-telco-SP

TOKYO, Oct 27 (Reuters) - Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) said the operating margin at its electronics operations is expected to beat its target for the year to March, but operating loss at its videogame unit will likely be double its initial forecast. Operating loss at its game unit, which offers loss-making PlayStation 3 game gear, is estimated to exceed 100 billion yen

$300 PS3 for MGS4?

Elios83

Interesting info in this article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=a8JoQodW2auc

The Tokyo-based company will be able to reduce production costs for its PlayStation 3 game console by one- third next year by cutting the size of the graphics chip and shrinking the core ``Cell'' processor, Oneda said in the report, without provide figures.

This suggests that they still aren't using 65nm chips in current PS3s and they can reduce their costs by 1/3 next year switching to 65nm Cell and RSX.

Elios83 said:
This suggests that they still aren't using 65nm chips in current PS3s and they can reduce their costs by 1/3 next year switching to 65nm Cell and RSX.
Depends what Toshiba decides to charge them for the privilege. :lol

Diablos

Considering they just announced the $400 SKU, I don't think you are going to see a $300 PS3 anytime soon.

Sony's losing a lot of money on the PS3.

Manmademan said:

The Xbox sold well in non japanese asian territories. Yes, all one of them.

legend166

Diablos said:
Considering they just announced the $400 SKU, I don't think you are going to see a $300 PS3 anytime soon.

Sony's losing a lot of money on the PS3.

We thought that about the $400 PS3, and here we are, a couple months after the $500 PS3.

tanod

when is my burrito
Elios83 said:

Cell production is already 65nm. They just started putting it into the PS3 with the 40GB model (probably). 2009 is the year that 45nm chipsets start getting mass-produced.

llTll

Banned
tanod said:
Cell production is already 65nm. They just started putting it into the PS3 with the 40GB model (probably). 2009 is the year that 45nm chipsets start getting mass-produced.

i still cant believe it there is no pics of the 40Gig PS3 motherboard.

i mean, the system is already out in UK no? and its coming out in 4 days or so in US. so whats up

i am dying to know if its just the normal chip with less vents on the console or the new 65nm model. also what kind of fan they are using

ToxicAdam

siamesedreamer said:
It'll end up losing 50%+ of its marketshare in the US. That's a Grade A certified disaster.

By pricing it in the manner they did, they never intended for it to sell 100 million consoles. So, to judge it by the historic success of the PS2 is flawed.

Top Bottom