• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony official financial report (10/25),PS3 worldwide sales revealed

Shepherd said:
Wait. We have been told over and over that the PS3 is a great value. That the 360 is more expensive. After all you have to buy the HD-DVD addon, wireless adapter and $50 a year for Live. So the 360 is $750 and that is just one year of Live.

So the 360 sold just as many in the same timeframe and was $150 more. :)

Which is it? Is the PS3 more expensive or the 360? You can not have it both ways.

In the interests of fairness, are we sure it's the same people saying these things?

Pureauthor said:
Define 'sell'. MGS has never been a blockbuster series in Japan, and FFXIII, while the 3rd biggest jRPG series in Japan, is just one game. It can't save the PS3 even if every single software sale was backed up by a hardware sale as well.

Is my tag positive or negative? Could never really figure that out.

Like I said: PS3 is dead in Japan. FFXIII would be a WC3 Necromancer casting 'Raise Dead' and raising a shambling skeleton that lasts for 30 seconds.
Oh your talking about tags and not post I see. I don't know how much it'll "sell" or if MGS4 will sell a lot of consoles too, but I think it'll do really good.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A whole bunch of RPGs and other Japanese titles came in Final Fantasy's wake on previous consoles..... is it really a foregone conclusion that they are all going to Wii or DS now?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Pureauthor said:
What evidence is there for that?

(If you say MSG4 or FFXIII I reserve the right to laugh in your face.)

The probability of the PS3 picking up in japan is infinitely higher than the 360 really doing... anything..ever... in japan. I mean, the real question is what evidence do you have that the PS3 should be selling well in japan right now anyway?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Shepherd said:
Wait. We have been told over and over that the PS3 is a great value. That the 360 is more expensive. After all you have to buy the HD-DVD addon, wireless adapter and $50 a year for Live. So the 360 is $750 and that is just one year of Live.

So the 360 sold just as many in the same timeframe and was $150 more. :)

Which is it? Is the PS3 more expensive or the 360? You can not have it both ways.

Yeah cause everyone buys the HD-DVD add on and a year of live and wireless...blah blah blah.. did I just respond to this? ughhh..

haunts said:
The probability of the PS3 picking up in japan is infinitely higher than the 360 really doing... anything..ever... in japan. I mean, the real question is what evidence do you have that the PS3 should be selling well in japan right now anyway?

0.1% is not a heck of a lot better than 0.01%.

There's no reason the PS3 'should' be doing well in Japan - it's doing terrible, hardly surprising, given the circumstances (dearth of game releases, ridiculous price), and it's not going to 'pick up' to any signifiant degree in the future.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Pureauthor said:
0.1% is not a heck of a lot better than 0.01%.

There's no reason the PS3 'should' be doing well in Japan - it's doing terrible, hardly surprising, given the circumstances (dearth of game releases, ridiculous price), and it's not going to 'pick up' to any signifiant degree in the future.

So you're saying once this is resolved next year it wont change anything. OK. Makes sense.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
haunts said:
Yeah cause everyone buys the HD-DVD add on and a year of live and wireless...blah blah blah.. did I just respond to this? ughhh..

You do realize I was making fun of the people that always say these things.

haunts said:
So you're saying once this is resolved next year it wont change anything. OK. Makes sense.

There's little indication that the PS3 is going to see a steady stream of notable software (notable in terms of sales) in Japan, and the price will (as far as we know) still be ridiculous in 2008.

Nevermind the perception that the PS3 is a 'loser' console. In Japan, people choose a winner and stick with it.

Pureauthor said:
There's little indication that the PS3 is going to see a steady stream of notable software (notable in terms of sales) in Japan, and the price will (as far as we know) still be ridiculous in 2008.

Nevermind the perception that the PS3 is a 'loser' console. In Japan, people choose a winner and stick with it.
CF GameCube and PSP. after a certain time, a perception of a console sticks... regardless of whether or not it's still true. no single game can save the day. is the PS3 past that point yet? i don't think so.

will it be past that point by the time MGS4 and FF13 roll around? we'll have to wait and see... but no one game is going to save the day. 'wait for game X' is what, 0 for 3 so far?

Narag

plagiarize said:
CF GameCube and PSP. after a certain time, a perception of a console sticks... regardless of whether or not it's still true. no single game can save the day. is the PS3 past that point yet? i don't think so.

will it be past that point by the time MGS4 and FF13 roll around? we'll have to wait and see... but no one game is going to save the day. 'wait for game X' is what, 0 for 3 so far?

Gundam, VF5, and MNG5. 0/3

Lightning

Banned
Narag said:
Gundam, VF5, and MNG5. 0/3
None of those games are the calibar of MGS4, GT5 or FFXIII.

Also, MNG5 sold quite well considering, it doubled the PS3 sales for many many weeks.

But I am tired of the whole Japan argument, I'll just wait and see. Best approach.

Lightning said:

Also, MNG5 sold quite well considering, it doubled the PS3 sales for many many weeks.

But I am tired of the whole Japan argument, I'll just wait and see. Best approach.
the point is, that no one game has ever turned around the fortune of any system. not FF7. not Halo 2.

it's a compelling LIBRARY that you need, and that is what the PS3 doesn't have in Japan yet, and three big titles aren't going to fix it by themselves.

Halo 3 and Beautiful Katamari have more than doubled 360 sales for a couple of weeks... but we all know that it's going to drop back to the levels it was selling at before they came out, just as the PS3 did after MNG5 sales finally slowed.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
plagiarize said:
the point is, that no one game has ever turned around the fortune of any system. not FF7. not Halo 2.

it's a compelling LIBRARY that you need, and that is what the PS3 doesn't have in Japan yet, and three big titles aren't going to fix it by themselves.

Halo 3 and Beautiful Katamari have more than doubled 360 sales for a couple of weeks... but we all know that it's going to drop back to the levels it was selling at before they came out, just as the PS3 did after MNG5 sales finally slowed.

Out of all the games to pick, you got that one. I have it and all, but I'm sure other games have contributed more, :lol :lol

Lightning

Banned
plagiarize said:

I already know this but the PS3 Japan library is improving steadily to at least get the PS3 a foot in the market there, just like the PSP.

Alone those games are not going to do much, but combine them and add in the other titles like WKS, Last Remnant etc... and you have a decent lineup. Not enough to compete with the Wii but enough to make it worth releasing games there.

I don't know why MS continue to release games in Japan, they all end up the same way and Lost Odyssey will further prove that.

FitzOfRage said:
Sounds familiar...

http://cube.ign.com/articles/492/492253p1.html

Hiroshi Yamauchi Feb. 2004

That was actually also the same time he gave the infamous "If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell" quote.

Of course he was mocked endlessly at the time. I guess hindsight is 20/20 but foresight adds $70 billion in market cap.

Hiroshi Yamauchi said:
February 13, 2004 - The Nihon Keizai Shimbun recently interviewed Nintendo advisor and former company president Hiroshi Yamauchi, who had many things to say about the future of the videogame industry and how Nintendo will succeed or fail. We've provided some highlights below:

Yamauchi reiterated his longstanding belief that the videogame industry is moving in the wrong direction, but added that it's approaching a critical point. "I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories," he said. "Cutting-edge technologies and multiple functions do not necessarily lead to more fun. The excessively hardware-oriented way of thinking is totally wrong, but manufacturers are just throwing money at developing higher-performance hardware."

Yamauchi told the paper that in a move to oppose the "bigger is better" mentality he thought up the idea of the Nintendo DS, a dual-screened portable device set to be shown at E3 2004 in May.

The former NCL president dismissed the quick arrival of a next-generation console. "Nintendo has no plans to release a so-called 'next-generation' videogame console at the next year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas. We will rather make a new proposal that uses the GameCube at its core," he said. "Only people who do not know the videogame business would advocate the release of next-generation machines when people are not interested in cutting-edge technologies." Yamauchi added that Nintendo's leadership shares his view of the business.

The executive said that Nintendo will "give [its] all" to promote the Nintendo DS. He conceded that the device may not immediately overwhelm audiences, but that he hopes it will help ring in a new era, which may revitalize the games industry. "If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."

Wow. Yamauchi was right after all. I remember that in 2004 people were VERY sceptic about DS and about the future of Nintendo. Things have really changed very quickly. Personally, I would like to hear the opinion of Yamauchi now that the DS and the Wii are ruling the world.

plagiarize said:
FF VII was huuuuuge for PlayStation. However, PlayStation wasn't in a distant second/third at the time, so it never had to completely turn it around, just give it the boost over N64 and Saturn.
GhaleonEB said:
Odd choice of game to lump with Halo 3 aside, I don't think we "all know that". It's probably true that the October rate will be down, but we don't know how much. It will difficult to judge the Halo 3 impact with the new bundles (games with Pro and Elite, Arcade SKU) released as well. If they do drop down to August levels, I'd agree that's a very bad sign.
I think he's talking Japan there.

J-Rzez

Shepherd said:

Obviously the PS3 had a higher "entrance" price, but when you got "the extra's" on the 360 is when the price jumped up... See, people fought you didn't need the additional stuff, like an HD-DVD drive which is acceptable, and maybe you didn't want XBL to keep it's forum wars price down below the PS3... So the PS3 was an incredible value back then, but still more expensive in it's entrance price... And now with the 40gb PS3 hitting, there's not a shadow of a doubt to reason against it as the "best value" out there...

StevieP

Banned
Lightning said:

I hear Mario, Zelda, and Resident Evil are gonna save the Gamecube.

GhaleonEB said:
Ooops. That's what I get for not reading back far enough. Nevermind! He's absolutely correct.

Also - our avatars make a nice pair. :lol
It's part of my "DSified" collection. You going back to that one makes it relevant. :)

Lightning

Banned
StevieP said:
I hear Mario, Zelda, and Resident Evil are gonna save the Gamecube.
Did you read what I said? I never said save.....

I said boost sales to a point where it's worth releasing games in Japan on the system and it being profitable..... I am not talking about winning Japan or competing with The Wii or any of that shit...

tehbear

Nice job all around. I knew it won't be long until this would devolve into a loop of MediaCreate styled PS3 list wars vs. the Gamecube analogy.

Oblivion said:
And MGS4, GT5, and FFXIII can?

GT5 and FF13 can easily.. MGS4 will be around 8 million after its all said and done

call me crazy if you want.. looking at the first GT FF and MGS for the PS and PS2.. they all sold about the same.. people are going to want to play the first next gen interation of the most popular franchises for the last ten years

Phoenix Down said:
GT5 and FF13 can easily.. MGS4 will be around 8 million after its all said and done

call me crazy if you want.. looking at the first GT FF and MGS for the PS and PS2.. they all sold about the same.. people are going to want to play the first next gen interation of the most popular franchises for the last ten years

The PS3 is not the PS2 and no game will sell on the same level as its PS2 predecessors did, because of the sheer difference in userbase size. You're totally wrong.

GenericPseudonym said:
The PS3 is not the PS2 and no game will sell on the same level as its PS2 predecessors did, because of the sheer difference in userbase size. You're totally wrong.

the ps2 user base wasent very high when FFX came out.. it will like 10 -15 million.. i assume it will be around that by ff13 too

dont forget these games sell systems that add into the userbase

v1cious

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:

except most people are buying for these particular games. you won't see Halo 3 numbers, but to say they won't sell is just absurd.

Haunted One said:
How much did Snake Eater and Final Fantasy XII sell? So Phoenix can understand why he's ridiculed, I mean.

I know how much they sold... but i also know how the franchise has sold as a whole on playstation platforms.. like i said these first interations into next gen are usually the most hyped and most sold.. look at the sales.. i dont see anything stopping that either this time

You're in for a rude awakening next year (and the year after).

Ok. when these games drop.. thats really the last thing i would be worried about... like most gamers

StevieP

Banned
Phoenix Down said:
I know how much they sold... but i also know how the franchise has sold as a whole on playstation platforms.. like i said these first interations into next gen are usually the most hyped and most sold.. look at the sales.. i dont see anything stopping that either this time

As has been mentioned, the total userbase of the PS3 will be stopping it.

Ok. when these games drop.. thats really the last thing i would be worried about... like most gamers

Don't get into a 'gamers' argument here. You're in a sales thread. And if you think that FFXIII is going to sell over 10 million on a userbase around "10-15 million" - as people are telling you, it's not going to happen.

Lightning

Banned
Phoenix Down said:
the ps2 user base wasent very high when FFX came out.. it will like 10 -15 million.. i assume it will be around that by ff13 too

dont forget these games sell systems that add into the userbase
Final Fantasy X only sold around 7.5mil....

People who think that MGS4 or FF XIII will save the PS3 in the sense that sales will explode and that it will become leader again ARE DREAMING.

These games (and all games you want) will have a bump effect (the bigger the game, the bigger the bump), exactly like every price cut (the bigger price cut, the bigger and longer the effect). It is exactly like the N64: games aren't coming fast enough, because this console is too complicated to develop for. So, who bought a PS3 will buy massively these games; this means a high attach rate, but poor rude sales numbers (not enough to compensate adeguately costs of development and marketing), because of the little installed base.
What really is ***ing stupid, is how SOny hasn't learned anything form the N64. Just wow at how they ignored the fall of Nintendo is the 1996.

The MNG series is comparable if not larger than MGS in Japan. I know MGS is considered a big gun, and politically I will concede that it is, but it's not on the level of FFXIII or GT5. We honestly don't know what those two games will do because they are by leaps and measures the biggest weapons in the Sony arsenal. MGS4, as far as Japan is concerned, will be another MNG. Which isn't a bad thing, per se, but it's important to know its place in the scheme of things.

Top Bottom