• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony official financial report (10/25),PS3 worldwide sales revealed

so these shipment numbers and nintendo's shipment numbers vs what we know sales are in NA and JP suggest that people's guesses on european numbers are too high for sony and too low for nintendo... that or the wii is really resting on shelves and the ps3 is flying off of them in europe...

Evlar

Banned
DCharlie said:
i wonder if this loss factors in the expected loss on inventory and the new delta between the new price and the new unit?
Could be... these die re-designs they've been churning out cost money upfront. They'll save a bundle long-term of course.

justchris

Wait a minute:

Sony said:
Worldwide hardware unit sales:
PSP: 2.58 million units (an increase of 0.56 million units)

Worldwide software unit sales:
PSP: 12.6 million units (a decrease of 0.6 million units)

Hardware sales increased YoY, but software sales went down? That's just mystifying.

Xekrn

Banned
rakka said:
they're great numbers, why are people trying to say they aren't good?
From NPD it seems PS3 sales are actually not good.

Then I just don't get it why retailers are still willing to order so many PS3s from SONY despite their bad sales numbers.

Xekrn said:

Then I just don't get it why retailers are still willing to order so many PS3s from SONY despite their bad sales numbers.
I imagine it's because of the PS2.

Lightning

Banned
Xekrn said:

Maybe it's selling quite well in Europe?

Tideas

Banned
justchris said:
Wait a minute:

Hardware sales increased YoY, but software sales went down? That's just mystifying.

blame the pirates and the people who makes those custom firmware

neptunes

Xekrn said:

could be attributed to confidence in the brand, or could be apart of some dubious agreement Sony has with retailers, (example) In order to get a large allotment of PSPs and PS2 you must also order PS3s?

I have no clue.

It's also weird how developers are still supporting the PSP strongly, they have to be disappointed in the average tie-ratio and software sales, how much does a psp game cost to develop now? I remember it being close to 1 million around its launch.

Lightning

Banned
Sony as a company seem to be doing alright, it's just the gaming division that sucks because of sluggish PS3 sales. So it's not all bad...

Narag

Tideas said:
blame the pirates and the people who makes those custom firmware

Not everyone that uses custom firmware is a pirate. Its interesting that ease of such may have driven hardware sales though.

Lightning said:
Sony as a company seem to be doing alright, it's just the gaming division that sucks because of sluggish PS3 sales. So it's not all bad...

Sounds like MS and the 360.

Xekrn

Banned
Lightning said:
Maybe it's selling quite well in Europe?
How well ?

According to these numbers (1.3M in Q2 FY07) and NPD numbers, over 50% of PS3s manufactured during the latest 3 months were shipped to retailers in Europe, which means PS3 sales in Europe are actually bigger than US and Japan combined.

Do you believe that ? I call this bullshit.

Midas

The Faceless Master said:
so these shipment numbers and nintendo's shipment numbers vs what we know sales are in NA and JP suggest that people's guesses on european numbers are too high for sony and too low for nintendo... that or the wii is really resting on shelves and the ps3 is flying off of them in europe...

They're probably not resting that much, but one of the bigger video game shops in Sweden have more than 40 in stock right now. So it's easy to get one, at least in Sweden. :p

Christine

Fuck, that's still under the original 3/31/07 projection.

The Sphinx said:
Not any more, Sony has adjusted their financial reports to show sales as shipped-to-retail, similar to Nintendo and MS. They switched over earlier this year.

Okay, this is a different metric. nm.

Tideas

Banned
Xekrn said:
How well ?

According to these numbers (1.3M in Q2 FY07) and NPD numbers, over 50% of PS3s manufactured during the latest 3 months were shipped to retailers in Europe, which means PS3 sales in Europe are actually bigger than US and Japan combined.

considering how PS3 games are popping up into the top 10 sales of European countries, I doubt it.

hell, Resistance beat Halo 3 in Ireland!

Lightning

Banned
Xekrn said:
How well ?

So the PS3 selling well in Europe is bullshit but you think retailers are buying PS3's out the ass despite the sluggish sales? Retailers have budgets as well you know and I don't think they include making Sony's bottom line look better....

And considering how poorly the PS3 is doing in Japan and US I think it's totally possible that the PS3 is selling better in Europe then both combined. What would it need to be? 40,000-45,000 a week to be better then the US/Japan combined? Possible no?

Xekrn

Banned
Tideas said:
considering how PS3 games are popping up into the top 10 sales of European countries, I doubt it.

Yeah, how big is the game market there ? I guess even Canada's market share is bigger than it.

RBH

titiklabingapat said:
That was just during the price cut in the last two weeks.

Plus, you also have to take into account the games like Resistance that are being bundled with the PS3s in Europe as well, giving a boost to its software sales.

Dahbomb

5.59 million is a better number than I thought it would be. Sounds like they MIGHT make it to 10 million by January 2008.

But the losses are huge, I guess this probably has to do with manufacturing like 8 different types of PS3 SKUs.

Zzoram

Xekrn said:
Yeah, how big is the game market there ? I guess even Canada's market share is bigger than it.

Canada's game market is like 1/4 of Japan and 1/10 of the US. It's probably bigger than a lot of EU countries.

szaromir

Banned
Dahbomb said:
But the losses are huge, I guess this probably has to do with manufacturing like 8 different types of PS3 SKUs.
I bet companies who manufacture like a 1000 different PC configurations a quarter like Dell always have huge losses because of that.

Barakov

Dahbomb said:

Only 3(unless the 40 gig is part of the losses) but the point still stands and is very valid I assume.

ThePeter

This is actually pretty positive and IMO i don't think this would be entirely possible without the restructuring and everything Sony went through. Love thine enemy and all that.

Lightning

Banned
Luckyman said:
Uh oh.. Sony game unit just posted $841M loss. $641M overall profit for.
Does that mean the company overall made $641m profit or that they lost the $200m balance?

Dahbomb said:
5.59 million is a better number than I thought it would be. Sounds like they MIGHT make it to 10 million by January 2008.

Yeah, Sony are swallowing massive losses to get sales on their PS3. It's sad but they will make it back long term I am sure.

Xekrn

Banned
Lightning said:
So the PS3 selling well in Europe is bullshit but you think retailers are buying PS3's out the ass despite the sluggish sales? Retailers have budgets as well you know and I don't think they include making Sony's bottom line look better....

And considering how poorly the PS3 is doing in Japan and US I think it's totally possible that the PS3 is selling better in Europe then both combined. What would it need to be? 40,000-45,000 a week to be better then the US/Japan combined? Possible no?
I don't think it's possible.

Europe's game market share is smaller than NA/Japan combined and PS3 is actually outsold by 360 in the biggest market there (UK, about 35%? No?). Considering these facts, how retailers there can still sell more PS3s in Europe as a whole is still a myth to me.

Anyway, it's kinda pointless to argue about Europe sales. Unless we somehow get the actual HW sales numbers from Europe, I still can't believe they are selling more PS3s there than retailers are doing in NA/JP combined.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
The PS3 has sold 3,052,450 in the US and Japan combined. That is sold to consumers. That leaves 2,537,550. I would say 1.5 Million sold in PAL and 1 Million still in inventory around the world. I don`t think this is above or below what we knew before.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
well you have to factor in that retailers will buy higher volume leading into christmas season... they need the stock for november.

considering sales can spike up to 5-10X their normal volumes for november and december... i don't see how the numbers are erratic

Tideas

Banned
Shepherd said:
The PS3 has sold 3,052,450 in the US and Japan combined. That is sold to consumers. That leaves 2,537,550. I would say 1.5 Million sold in PAL and 1 Million still in inventory around the world. I don`t think this is above or below what we knew before.

Sony announced it sold 1 mil to Pal in May.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
DopeyFish said:
well you have to factor in that retailers will buy higher volume leading into christmas season... they need the stock for november.

considering sales can spike up to 5-10X their normal volumes for november and december... i don't see how the numbers are erratic

whoa, dopeyfish. i remember you

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Tideas said:
Sony announced it sold 1 mil to Pal in May.

Yes they did. So I believe they sold 500,000 from June to Sept. That is 125,000 a month for PAL regions. Seems about right to me. No way they sold more than that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
titiklabingapat said:
Sony almost shipped the same amount of software for both the PSP and PS3 but the PSP hardware sold twice as much as the PS3 hardware.

*Looks at the CFW threads all over the web's forums and the amount of people misteriously not having gotten the manual with their game purchase (or even better like the reviews of Crazy Taxi PSP which mentioned slowdown which only happened with compressed iso's loaded from the MS and the game had not launched yet...)...*

Still, in Europe Sony are kicking themselves in the arse thanks to an asininely high pricing: PSP games at 49-54 Euros ? EoJ package at 99 Euros (while selling it in the U.S. at $69, so about half of what they ask in Europe for the SAME package)?

Dahbomb

I was actually being facetious with my multiple SKUs leading to bigger losses comment. However the whole price structuring and rapid price drop and considering the already loss that Sony is taking on the PS3 would not bode well for the profit margins at all. Sony really has to count on them software numbers.

That's less loss than I was expecting to be honest. Assuming they at least catch on with blu-ray, it should be a good overall investment.

Tideas said:

Yep, Ireland has a population of a whopping 4M! That's almost half of London! Big news indeed. But let's wait for the trends from Luxemburg before we jump to any conclusions.

Panajev2001a said:
*Looks at the CFW threads all over the web's forums and the amount of people misteriously not having gotten the manual with their game purchase (or even better like the reviews of Crazy Taxi PSP which mentioned slowdown which only happened with compressed iso's loaded from the MS and the game had not launched yet...)...*

Still, in Europe Sony are kicking themselves in the arse thanks to an asininely high pricing: PSP games at 49-54 Euros ? EoJ package at 99 Euros (while selling it in the U.S. at $69, so about half of what they ask in Europe for the SAME package)?
Well to be fair you can get good bargains on PSP software not long after launch. RRP is too high though, but that applies to DS as well - 40 € is too much for a handheld game.

70 € for first party PS3 software (HS, R&C, Lair) is asking too much, period. I'd agree with that. I think the case with EoJ is that it's pretty niche and they know that they can get away with such a price in Europe because those people that are interested will fork over the money. It's true though that they're pricing themselves away from the mass market even with the software.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Onix said:
I don't recall specific amounts, but I'm quite sure Sony lost money during the first year of each system.

not to mention it being balanced out by the rest of the company.

szaromir

Banned
davepoobond said:
not to mention it being balanced out by the rest of the company.
SO why do people care so much about Microsoft Xbox division? If it's more than balanced by the rest of the company? :p

909er

Lightning said:

You know, the same arguments were made for the 360 last year. I don't know if too many people made that argument, but I was one of them. I assumed that with limited retail and storage space as well as the budget of the stores, they wouldn't be able to grossly overstock a product. So I said that the 360 must be selling decently, since no retailer would put up with a massive unsold stock.

Well, I was wrong. And it's looking like it wasn't an anomaly either.

Top Bottom