• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony official financial report (10/25),PS3 worldwide sales revealed

jay

Bulla564 said:
Geez....

For all the talk from some of you of Sony failing, being doomed, calling it quits, etc, you wouldn't think that the PS3 in fact sold the same in the same timeframe, as a $200 cheaper console.

P.S. save your lecture on expectations, dreams crushed, or previous generations.

Yes, without understanding where they were last generation you're right that they look ok. Who wants to get bogged down in all that context?

Parl

Pureauthor said:
"It's selling well if you factor in XYZ" means "It's not selling well at all."

Yeah, it's like saying "PS2 only sold well because it has a large and diverse library of compelling software, a reasonable price, and a great image".

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
quetz67 said:
Shipping 11M by March 08 now means something completely different and cant really be compared
The 11M forecast is for their FY, not LTD, they expect to ship another 9 million consoles by then.

_leech_ said:
So 5.59 million units of a $600 system with "no games" in less than 11 months? That doesn't sound too bad to me :|
This is how the misinterpretation for PSP games started you know.

plagiarize said:
sure. completely out of context, compared to nothing, and using the exagerated descriptions of biased microsoft fanboys it's great.

either you're saying that the system has no games, or that sales aren't great.

which is it?

I'm saying it's not doing as badly as everything thinks considering just how badly things have been going on the platform (cost, year-long bad press, game quality).

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
szaromir said:
So essentially Sony lost $841M to ship 2M PS3? That's huge.

I'm pretty sure there were significant PSP and PS2 profits on top of that, so it actually took even more money.

_leech_ said:
I'm saying it's not doing as badly as everything thinks considering just how badly things have been going on the platform (cost, year-long bad press, game quality).
so you're saying it has no games then. just wanted to be clear on that.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm actually semi-curious about the breakdown of PS3's sold, as in number of 20 GB, 60 GB, 60 GB Euro, and 80 GB units sold. Any numbers on that?

Bulla564

Banned
jay said:
Yes, without understanding where they were last generation you're right that they look ok. Who wants to get bogged down in all that context?

What other context is there, other than microeconomics as it relates to price?

Kosma

Banned
Why do people say it's doing badly when it's did the same as the 360 in it's first year but at 200$ more? Not even considering that it's only been out 6 months in Europe.

spwolf said:
fact that they have sold 1.3mil in 2007 Q2... And thats July, August, September....
Those are really good numbers for those months.

Unless you think that after slow start, retailers are stocking millions of PS3's in their warehouses, since they love Sony so much and dont like money :lol
Like apple pie, spwolf is happily eating it all up.

You do realize that actual sell through is alot lower than 6m, right?

3rdman

Souldriver said:
Oh right. Forgot about that for a sec. Well, there's a bright side for Sony afterall, cause Blueray is doing a lot better than HD-DVD. The only thing that could possibly make it a "war" again, is if the 360 gets a built in HD-DVD player, and rumours say that's bound to happen. But if Sony doesn't make big mistakes, they'll have the standard media format by 2009.
Granted they've got a great lead, but if the PS3 is going to be the driving force that will get HD movies into people's homes, it'd be nice if it were married to a more successful console. If Toshiba and MS release an HD-DVD enabled console (which they should), it'll be released on a console that simply sells more. If it releases in the next year, I think you may see a 50/50 split of the market for HD movies...at least in the US. IMO, of course.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Some analysis from WSJ:

Sony Corp. reported a big jump in net profit in the fiscal second quarter, helped by strong electronics sales that underscored a turnaround in that business. But its videogame unit posted a wider loss as it continues to struggle with sales of its PlayStation 3 consoles.

. . . .

Sony's PlayStation 3 videogame console is packed with sophisticated technology such as a Blu-ray disc player and a powerful processor. But sales have been poor since its release in November last year because of its expensive price and lack of compelling games.

Sony said it has sold a total of 5.6 million PS3 units as of September, compared with rival Nintendo Co., which has sold 13.2 million units in about the same period. Nintendo also announced its results on Thursday, and raised its Wii sales target for the full year by one million units to 17.5 million.

Sony, meanwhile, said PlaySation 3 sales might fall slightly short of its target of 11 million this year to March. Sales in the games unit rose 43% because of the PS3, which it didn't sell a year earlier. But it reported a wider quarterly loss of ¥96.7 billion, compared with a loss of ¥43.5 billion a year earlier, as it sells each unit for less than it costs to make them. The games unit, which recently announced a price cut for the PS3, won't be profitable until the next business year ending March 2009, it said.

Overall, however, the electronics unit was able to compensate for the weakness in the videogame unit. Sony reported a significant increase in its operating profit due to strong demand for its Cybershot cameras and Vaio personal computers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119329432590471123.html

_leech_ said:
Yea, please keep putting words in my mouth, i love that.
well, then tell me, straight out, what you think of the quality of games on the system.

you can't say that sales aren't bad in light of the software if, you know, you think the software is good.

so, what do you think of the current PS3 library of games? then i won't have to try to work out what the fuck you're talking about as you put stuff in "quotes".

this generation from sony's view:

bddf05eaf1f1db2c0df57b6c4.gif

StevieP

Banned
AstroLad said:
Some analysis from WSJ:

Sony, meanwhile, said PlaySation 3 sales might fall slightly short of its target of 11 million this year to March. Sales in the games unit rose 43% because of the PS3, which it didn't sell a year earlier. But it reported a wider quarterly loss of ¥96.7 billion, compared with a loss of ¥43.5 billion a year earlier, as it sells each unit for less than it costs to make them. The games unit, which recently announced a price cut for the PS3, won't be profitable until the next business year ending March 2009, it said.

Well. Uh, there isn't too many positive things you can say about that.

Kosma

Banned
_leech_ said:
Hmm, I guess the move to 65nm, shrinking Blu-ray costs, and removing GS, USB ports, and memory card reader aren't cutting costs all that much... either that or they're not expecting the 40GB model to outsell the 80GB model.

Sony said that they would lose less money on each 40gb unit then they did on each 60gn unit. I just think they expect to sell more of them.

_leech_ said:
Hmm, I guess the move to 65nm, shrinking Blu-ray costs, and removing GS, USB ports, and memory card reader aren't cutting costs all that much... either that or they're not expecting the 40GB model to outsell the 80GB model.
i think they've had to be more agressive with price cuts than they were planning, which has stopped them making a profit as early as they'd hoped.

great for consumers though, and i'm glad to see them willing to lose money to expand the ps3/blu-ray userbase.

plagiarize said:
well, then tell me, straight out, what you think of the quality of games on the system.

you can't say that sales aren't bad in light of the software if, you know, you think the software is good.

so, what do you think of the current PS3 library of games? then i won't have to try to work out what the fuck you're talking about as you put stuff in "quotes".

I'd hate to be a grammar whore, but botice how I put "no games" in quotes? As in, those aren't my words? I think the games are pretty good for the most part - been playing a lot of Motorstorm lately and I think it's great - it's others (who most likely don't own the system) who keep chanting, "no games, nothing but ports, nothing worth playing, 3 hour game lol, etc."

I don't think PS3 sales are that bad considering all the negativity, which includes the "no games" argument.

_leech_ said:
I'd hate to be a grammar whore, but botice how I put "no games" in quotes? As in, those aren't my words? I think the games are pretty good for the most part - been playing a lot of Motorstorm lately and I think it's great - it's others (who most likely don't own the system) who keep chanting, "no games, nothing but ports, nothing worth playing, 3 hour game lol, etc."

I don't think PS3 sales are that bad considering all the negativity, which includes the "no games" argument.
can i be a reading whore? because i specifically mentioned that that part was in quotes.

you don't think PS3 sales are bad considering the negativity... that's a lot clearer than what you wrote before.

because what you wrote before seemed to be saying 'ps3 sales aren't bad when you consider a list of things which aren't true'... which... well, didn't make one jot of sense.

Uncle

_leech_ said:

So it's more like "PS3 isn't selling that bad, considering people don't want to buy it"?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
3rdman said:
Granted they've got a great lead, but if the PS3 is going to be the driving force that will get HD movies into people's homes, it'd be nice if it were married to a more successful console. If Toshiba and MS release an HD-DVD enabled console (which they should), it'll be released on a console that simply sells more. If it releases in the next year, I think you may see a 50/50 split of the market for HD movies...at least in the US. IMO, of course.

You have a point, but it will still be this HD-DVD enabled Xbox 360 which will be their newer super-premium SKU (I do not think we can reasonably expect Xbox 360 games released on HD-DVD's thus you are putting in the console an add-on that is completely out of the "gaming" functionality of the system although it would still be good for those users who want to have both HD formats in their house and also both of the highly multi-media gaming consoles without spending an extraordinary amount of money) while all PS3 SKU's have been, are and quite likely are still going to be Blu-Ray Disc players ;).

jay

Bulla564 said:
What other context is there, other than microeconomics as it relates to price?

I was told not to lecture you about expectations, momentum, compared sales, etc.

lockload

Comparing PS3 to first year sales of PS2 or Xbox360 is irrelevant, in the 360's case that was their free head start lap, the PS3 and 360 are competing now

A consumer doesnt look at a PS3 and go what price was the 360 last year when comparing the two they look at the price now

Kosma

Banned
lockload said:
Comparing PS3 to first year sales of PS2 or Xbox360 is irrelevant, in the 360's case that was their free head start lap, the PS3 and 360 are competing now

A consumer doesnt look at a PS3 and go what price was the 360 last year when comparing the two they look at the price now

This is true.

The PS3 is outselling the 360 in Europe and Japan, despite the lower price , bigger library and a year headstart of the 360.

The consumer has spoken.

ThirdEye

plagiarize said:

"Solid, if not spectacular"

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
_leech_ said:

I haven't seen this at all for PS3. I did see lots of "there's nothing on PS3 that would convince me to pay $200 more for it over a 360" at launch, and now I see a lot of "there's nothing on PS3 that would convince me to get it over a 360 except maybe [MGS4, FFXIII, etc.]." So either PS3 sales will increase when those games are released or Sony better rethink their strategy, but there is no excuse for how much below expectations it's performing right now.

ThirdEye

_leech_ said:
They were not selling 40GB units in the financial period for this report, only a price cut in July

Kosma

Banned
ThirdEye said:
They were not selling 40GB units in the financial period for this report, only a price cut in July

Wouldn't the loss on producing them be already calculated in these numbers though?

felipeko

oo Kosma oo said:
This is true.

The PS3 is outselling the 360 in Europe and Japan, despite the lower price , bigger library and a year headstart of the 360.

The consumer has spoken.
What about Wii?

jay

felipeko said:
What about Wii?

People arguing the PS3 is doing well cannot acknowledge the Wii, else they concede the PS3 is not doing well. Or it's last gen and cheap so it doesn't count.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
oo Kosma oo said:
This is true.

The consumer has spoken.

It had a great launch in Europe but I doubt it is outselling the 360 month to month now in Europe.

felipeko

Shepherd said:
It had a great launch in Europe but I doubt it is outselling the 360 month to month now in Europe.
Actually numbers are very close (and low compared to Wii) in Europe, and i think PS3 is probably outselling 360 month by month in europe... But NA sales help X360 outsell PS3 WW monthly..
oo Kosma oo said:
I need to get mine back from a mate I borrowed it too before SMG launches that's what.
What about Zack and Wiki?
JUST BUY THIS GAME!

Kinan

Looked through report. Well, Sony as a company looks much healthier now than a year ago.
Also positively surprised that they are still claiming 11m PS3 target by the end of FY. Q3 report will be very interesting :)

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Gadfly said:
Sony has invested in many first party games that will be released this and next quarter so they should be able to recuperate a big chunk of this loss.

In any case, if they manage to sell 9 million in next 6 months, they would be in great shape even if they lose a billion or so in the process.

Sony shipped 5.5 Million in the first 11 months. How are they now going to sell 9 Million in the next 6 months?

Thomper

oo Kosma oo said:
Why do people say it's doing badly when it's did the same as the 360 in it's first year but at 200$ more? Not even considering that it's only been out 6 months in Europe.
Because if the PS3 will continue to sell the same as the 360, that would mean it would never catch up with it, and it would certainly never catch up with the Wii. Selling the same is good, certainly, but not good enough if they don't want to be in third place.

quetz67

Banned
Shepherd said:
Sony shipped 5.5 Million in the first 11 months. How are they now going to sell 9 Million in the next 6 months?
lower price, more games, first holiday season in europe, higher HD penetration, better advertising (ok, maybe forget the last one)

neptunes

quetz67 said:
lower price, more games, first holiday season in europe, higher HD penetration, better advertising (ok, maybe forget the last one)
9 million (WW) in the next 6 months is akin to Wii caliber success

I just don't know man

felipeko

quetz67 said:
I think those two are the main points.. But the problem is.. Competition will have better price and better games..

quetz67

Banned
Thomper said:
Because if the PS3 will continue to sell the same as the 360, that would mean it would never catch up with it, and it would certainly never catch up with the Wii. Selling the same is good, certainly, but not good enough if they don't want to be in third place.
Actually if this Wii 'desaster' continues I dont see a future neither for Sony nor for MS. It is extremely unhealthy (for both) to fight for second place at rather bad than mediocre sales numbers.

To some extent I blame MS and their early generation change for this situation. And all it gave them were another 2 billion losses and brand name damage because of defective units.

Had MS and Sony both waited another year they had both next gen media, would have both have launched at a more acceptable price. Developers would have been better prepared for next gen and Wii would probably have rather been seen as an intermediate solution.

But they way it went they just sent customers into Nintendo's arms by releasing HD consoles to a not really HD Ready world (and even telling people they should not bother without a HD capable TV set).

Needless to say I am not happy with how this turned out.

Top Bottom