• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony official financial report (10/25),PS3 worldwide sales revealed

antiloop

Higher than I expected. It's kinda expensive after all.

These numbers are for July? So if they keep it up they should reach 11 million by march 2008 like predicted. The question is, will they?

chris0701

antiloop said:
Higher than I expected. It's kinda expensive after all.

These numbers are for July? So if they keep it up they should reach 11 million by march 2008 like predicted. The question is, will they?

No. A fiscal year starts in Japan's March. These number are for Sep.

spwolf

so it sold too much and Sony is talking shit (in financial reports, lol), and it didnt sell enough? :lol

ppl need to make up their mind...

spwolf

Gadfly said:
Am I the only one that thinks this is misleading and can be interpreted as sold to customers and not retail?

it is same as 360 and Wii... so if it is misleading, then Wii and 360 sales are misleading :lol

Kosma

Banned
Well tbh Sony expected this financial hit all along, I mean they knew they were selling at a loss and they knew how many units they'd ship so they knew the hit they would take all along.

Next year the hit will prob be a lot smaller with the smaller losses on the 40gb unit, and in the 3rd year of the PS3 it will see a profit imho.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
spwolf said:
it is same as 360 and Wii... so if it is misleading, then Wii and 360 sales are misleading :lol
I'm sorry but you didn't get what I said.

Jokeropia

Gadfly said:
Am I the only one that thinks this is misleading and can be interpreted as sold to customers and not retail?
No, and it wouldn't surprise me if Kotaku are confused about the terms as well.

spwolf

Gadfly said:
I'm sorry but you didn't get what I said.

i did, but still everyone reffers to those as "sales", because eventually it evens out (retailers dont order more units until they sell stock - as witnessed by PSP).

theBishop said:
I won't be vindicated either way because I don't care. It won't make Lair fun to play.
Yeah, you just keep on preaching you got your avatar to protest against sales age. Games > Sales. You're a true gamer.
I, on the other hand, am just remembered on how you got burned in that sales thread you made a while ago. You should just change your avatar again to your previous one, and leave that shit behind man. :/

This thread has some serious damage controlling, but also some serious trolling from the usual suspects.

I can't really add anything to the hard numbers, except that I'm concerned it just won't get better for Sony. Not in America anyway. That's officially 360-land (when talking about traditional consoles, i.e. not factoring in Wii). In Japan the PS3 could take off, since the 360 is non-existant there and the Wii is not dominating that much anymore. And if Sony handles Europe right, they could beat the 360. They seem to take a step in the good direction here, since the price has dropped and they advertise the thing a lot. But still, if Nintendo or MS give their consoles a little marketing push in PAL and Japan territory, Sony should learn to live with being in 3th place.

So I predict: They lost America, probably also Japan, but still have a shot in Europe. PS1/2 numbers are wishful thinking and when all is said and done the PS3 will have been a loss leader.

spwolf

Souldriver said:
Yeah, you just keep on preaching you got your avatar to protest against sales age. Games > Sales. You're a true gamer.
I, on the other hand, am just remembered on how you got burned in that sales thread you made a while ago. You should just change your avatar again to your previous one, and leave that shit behind man. :/

This thread has some serious damage controlling, but also some serious trolling from the usual suspects.

I can't really add anything to the hard numbers, except that I'm concerned it just won't get better for Sony. Not in America anyway. That's officially 360-land (when talking about traditional consoles, i.e. not factoring in Wii). In Japan the PS3 could take off, since the 360 is non-existant there and the Wii is not dominating that much anymore. And if Sony handles Europe right, they could beat the 360. They seem to take a step in the good direction here, since the price has dropped and they advertise the thing a lot. But still, if Nintendo or MS give their consoles a little marketing push in PAL and Japan territory, Sony should learn to live with being in 3th place.

So I predict: They lost America, probably also Japan, but still have a shot in Europe. PS1/2 numbers are wishful thinking and when all is said and done the PS3 will have been a loss leader.

we are reading same reports, right?

Gadfly

spwolf said:
i did, but still everyone reffers to those as "sales", because eventually it evens out (retailers dont order more units until they sell stock - as witnessed by PSP).
I was not talking about Sony. I was talking about Kotaku implying the new sale reporting system from Sony now is the real sale to end users and not ship to retail. I expect more from Kotaku when average GAF member knows the new system is really 3 months old and it reports the retail sale instead of shipped to warehouse.

I don't have any problem with Sony's reporting. In both old and new systems they said what the numbers are.

theBishop

Banned
Souldriver said:

That thread may have been stupid, but it wasn't a sales thread. At least, my posts weren't.

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
we are reading same reports, right?
What exactly do you disagree with?
Annoying Old Party Man said:
people? psp? ds? someone?
DS is at 53.64 million. Sony haven't released LTD PSP shipments since they changed their method of reporting afaik, but it should be around half that.

Yes, I'm aware of the yen to dollar conversion. It's a pretty bad loss to have to post when you're in third place with no signs of that changing in the immediate future.

Parl

Loudninja said:

This is for half a year, is it not? Also, without PS2 and PSP, this loss would be MUCH bigger.

Seems very likely that PS3 loses more than the original Xbox did. That's insane.

This is a pretty massive loss, but it's important to keep in perspective the fact that it's a loss posted on the first year of a new system. Posting losses for a system's first year isn't a new thing for Sony. It's just that they are usually looking a lot more positive in terms of re-achieving profitability for the division by now.

Gadfly

Uncle said:
Isn't that almost Xbox level of losses?
Sony has invested in many first party games that will be released this and next quarter so they should be able to recuperate a big chunk of this loss.

In any case, if they manage to sell 9 million in next 6 months, they would be in great shape even if they lose a billion or so in the process.

these numbers are about what we thought they were correct?

we know the last year has been bad for them, certainly in comparison to the years that their competitors have, but we also know that the market has change quite a lot in the last month.

sure, we know the 80 gig's price drop hasn't really helped much in the US and Japan (though it certainly did in Europe) but the US and Japan haven't got the 40 gig yet.

it's kind of like reflecting on a sports teams awful season shortly after they just signed a new star player and a new manager.

sure we've got more raw data about it, but it tells us nothing of where things go from here. we can't really make predictions until we see the impact the 40 gig unit has on the two biggest markets.

antiloop

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, I'm aware of the yen to dollar conversion. It's a pretty bad loss to have to post when you're in third place with no signs of that changing in the immediate future.

This shouldn't be too far from what they have predicted though.
I believe the situation was the same with PS2. If I remember correctly they said something about them loosing money on PS3 for at least 5 years or if it was 5 years or less.

About these numbers. Remember that Wii launched 4 months before PS3 in Europe and PS3 launched in march this year.

justjohn

well the good news for them is i cant see things getting any worse from now on. the 40gb should certainly increase sales, plus the holiday season as well. and of course we all know about the killer 08 line up.

Gadfly

plagiarize said:

we know the last year has been bad for them, certainly in comparison to the years that their competitors have, but we also know that the market has change quite a lot in the last month.

sure, we know the 80 gig's price drop hasn't really helped much in the US and Japan (though it certainly did in Europe) but the US and Japan haven't got the 40 gig yet.

it's kind of like reflecting on a sports teams awful season shortly after they just signed a new star player and a new manager.

sure we've got more raw data about it, but it tells us nothing of where things go from here. we can't really make predictions until we see the impact the 40 gig unit has on the two biggest markets.
I agree with this post.

Loudninja

justjohn said:
well the good news for them is i cant see things getting any worse from now on. the 40gb should certainly increase sales, plus the holiday season as well. and of course we all know about the killer 08 line up.

Yeah, thats a good way to look at it

Yeah, I interested in Novmber numbers for many reasons.

1.The White cheaper PS3 in Japan
2.The cheap 40Gb in the US
3.Uncharted numbers
4.Eruope numbers as well

spwolf

Souldriver said:
Wait what? It's just my predictions? What's your take on it then, if you think I'm so out of reach?

fact that they have sold 1.3mil in 2007 Q2... And thats July, August, September....
Those are really good numbers for those months.

Unless you think that after slow start, retailers are stocking millions of PS3's in their warehouses, since they love Sony so much and dont like money :lol

antiloop said:
This shouldn't be too far from what they have predicted though.
I believe the situation was the same with PS2. If I remember correctly they said something about them loosing money on PS3 for at least 5 years or if it was 5 years or less.
Are you serious? o_O Is it even worth it releasing the console if that's the case? I seriously doubt their "10 year plan" will come true when MS releases their xbox 720 in 2010. So when are they planning to make a profit out of it? :/

I think Sony'll be able to get the PS3 at least profitable within a year. (I mean: with every console sold, they'll make money, they will not have earned back the losses they made in the first 2 years.)

Jokeropia

Loudninja said:
You're right, it's even worse. The Xbox division has never lost this much money in a June-September quarter ever.

These numbers also put Sony's gaming division at a $700 million loss since the release of the PS2, meaning that PS3 has already eaten all the profits made from PS2, PSP and the last few years of the PS1.

Did they post profit estimates for the next two quaters for the game division? They partialy blamed the loss in this quater on selling PS3s at below manufacturing cost.
If they plan on selling another nine million PS3s in the next two quaters, they must be planning on posting a huge loss due to selling below cost.

antiloop

Souldriver said:
Are you serious? o_O Is it even worth it releasing the console if that's the case? I seriously doubt their "10 year plan" will come true when MS releases their xbox 720 in 2010. So when are they planning to make a profit out of it? :/

I think Sony'll be able to get the PS3 at least profitable within a year. (I mean: with every console sold, they'll make money, they will not have earned back the losses they made in the first 2 years.)

Remember that it's also about winning the Blu-ray/HD-DVD war for them.

It's much more important in terms of long-term goals for them than winning the console war. Talking profits of course.

I don't remember if it was 5 years

Jokeropia said:
You're right, it's even worse. The Xbox division has never lost this much money in a June-September quarter ever.

These numbers also put Sony's gaming division at a $700 million loss since the release of the PS2, meaning that PS3 has already eaten all the profits made from PS2, PSP and the last few years of the PS1.
it doesn't work that way any more than Microsoft need to make back all their losses once the 360 starts making money year on year.

a lot of the loss on the PS3 is to help get blu-ray up and running. which should it take off, will probably maje sony stacks of money in the long run.

if you ask me, THAT'S the ten year plan.

Sony made profit overall, so they have covered these losses, and the PS3 isn't about to get dropped due to the inroads it's making for them in the Blu-Ray, HD-DVD war... cause without the PS3, they'd be a distant second, instead of a distant first.

Gadfly

spwolf said:
fact that they have sold 1.3mil in 2007 Q2... And thats July, August, September....

Unless you think that after slow start, retailers are stocking millions of PS3's in their warehouses, since they love Sony so much and dont like money :lol
I wouldn't go that far. But they are not any worse than we thought. I'm sure nobody expected these numbers last October.

I also think introducing new SKUs can affect the ship to sale ratio and temporarily increase channel inventory somewhat . Although I am not claiming this is what has happened here.

Jokeropia

plagiarize said:
it doesn't work that way any more than Microsoft need to make back all their losses once the 360 starts making money year on year.

a lot of the loss on the PS3 is to help get blu-ray up and running. which should it take off, will probably maje sony stacks of money in the long run.

if you ask me, THAT'S the ten year plan.

Sony made profit overall, so they have covered these losses, and the PS3 isn't about to get dropped due to the inroads it's making for them in the Blu-Ray, HD-DVD war... cause without the PS3, they'd be a distant second, instead of a distant first.
MS entered the videogame business primarily to keep Playstation from becoming the "main media box" or whatever and were prepared to take losses in the process. While I'm sure Sony were prepared to take losses on PS3 to help Blu-Ray win the HD movie war, I don't think they expected to sacrifice all their PS2 and PSP profits as well.

spwolf said:

576102a6nuhv.gif

I don't know what to say. Seriously, are you trying to say the PS3 is doing great?
I never questioned they sold 1.3 million PS3s in their second quarter, so why you pin this on my, I have no idea. They sell 2 million PS3s in a half a year (the slow half though), and that's considered good? I'm sure it will only get better now with the PS3 being available everywhere, lowered prices, more games, etc. But you act likes there isn't a cloud in the sky. At this point the PS3 has eaten every profit Sony made with the PS2!

If you want to wait another year, and look at the numbers then, fine by me. The gap between the Wii and PS3 will have widened even more, and the 360 won't have stopped selling either. That doesn't make my predictions in my previous post completely out of reach. If there's one person who should look at the financial report, it should be you.

antiloop said:
Remember that it's also about winning the Blu-ray/HD-DVD war for them.

It's much more important in terms of long-term goals for them than winning the console war. Talking profits of course.

I don't remember if it was 5 years
Oh right. Forgot about that for a sec. Well, there's a bright side for Sony afterall, cause Blueray is doing a lot better than HD-DVD. The only thing that could possibly make it a "war" again, is if the 360 gets a built in HD-DVD player, and rumours say that's bound to happen. But if Sony doesn't make big mistakes, they'll have the standard media format by 2009.

spwolf

Souldriver said:
Oh right. Forgot about that for a sec. Well, there's a bright side for Sony afterall, cause Blueray is doing a lot better than HD-DVD. The only thing that could possibly make it a "war" again, is if the 360 gets a built in HD-DVD player, and rumours say that's bound to happen. But if Sony doesn't make big mistakes, they'll have the standard media format by 2009.

it is not only that - for instance Electronics posted 931 million profit for Sony, mostly from sales of semiconductors (PS3) back to Sony game division :D. Then it is Sony game division that recorded loss because they had to sell at loss.

Same goes for BD playback where Sony's game division pay royalties on discs and playback, and other Sony division making money on it.

And a lot of loss is also from inventory write-down which will be gained back after holiday season...

beerbelly

Banned
_leech_ said:
So 5.59 million units of a $600 system with "no games" in less than 11 months? That doesn't sound too bad to me :|

Flawed argument because it doesn't consider other factors like people buying it as a cheaper blu-ray solution (before), or because Sony has 'won' the last 2 generations by large margins therefore people are buying it due to confidence in the product, etc.

FrankT

$841 million dollar loss is more than I expected and much more than what I've seen predicted to date. More importanly this is the 7th loss is in a row for the division, getting close to what, 3 billion loss or more thus far. I don't see this train turning around for quite some time, but that was pretty much known for awhile.

_leech_ said:
So 5.59 million units of a $600 system with "no games" in less than 11 months? That doesn't sound too bad to me :|
sure. completely out of context, compared to nothing, and using the exagerated descriptions of biased microsoft fanboys it's great.

either you're saying that the system has no games, or that sales aren't great.

which is it?

_leech_ said:

"It's selling well if you factor in XYZ" means "It's not selling well at all."

Bulla564

Banned
Geez....

For all the talk from some of you of Sony failing, being doomed, calling it quits, etc, you wouldn't think that the PS3 in fact sold the same in the same timeframe, as a $200 cheaper console.

P.S. save your lecture on expectations, dreams crushed, or previous generations.

Top Bottom