• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread of Silly Screenshots (56kouch, Spoilers!)

SexConker

Banned
defferoo said:
well... it could be that he wanted to keep the resolution as close to the original as possible while correcting aspect ratio. 853/854x480 increases the resolution quite a bit (which is why it looks bad) 640x360 drops it alot. but 700x394 = 275800 and 640x480 = 307200. I've actually done some calculations and the 16:9 resolution that matches 640x480 in quality is 736x414. so maybe we should all try that crazy resolution :D

Nope.
480p is 720x480 (640x480 visible/useful image), and is designed to be stretched by a factor of 4/3, horizontally.
This gives us 853.333.

The correct thing to do is this:
Crop it to 636.
Resize by 4/3 horizontally, to get 848.
848 is a whole number, unlike 853.333.

Now, we could also crop to 639 and then resize to get 852, another whole number.
However, lots of scaling algorithms like to use things that are multiples of 16.
848 and 480 are both multiples of 16.

If you do any sort of video compression, you'll love 848 (as opposed to 854, 853, and 852). Most modern codecs don't require multiples of 16 anymore, but they still like it - they tend to be much more efficient, and decoding is more reliable when you don't know exactly what the user end has.

Also - downsizing is dumb. You're throwing away your GOOD information.
The idea that there isn't enough info in the image to look good at a certain resolution is just wrong. It's not an issue of pixel counts. Regardless of what you do, you are LACKING 25% of the final horizontal resolution. We make up this information by stretching an image by 4/3.
Now, to throw away perfectly good vertical resolution is the most retarded thing I've ever heard of.
It only looks "better" because you can't see the jaggies as much. Yes - Brawl is a fairly jaggy game. (I have the in-game smoothing filter off, I may turn it on...) Move your face close to the screen and the small image looks WORSE.

Enjoy, all I did was crop and scale these as I indicated above:
They are the jpegs from the first post, and then they've been re-jpegged.
scale1.jpg

scale2.jpg

scale3.jpg

Crushed

Fry Daddy
3fc9909c9283_IMAGE.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

23b8ae015584_IMAGE.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

577fd90cfbc2_IMAGE.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA

dbd72b732e62_IMAGE.jpg

Q.Q

972c15dd13ef_IMAGE.jpg

I CAN SEE YOUR PENIS BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA. HA! HA. HA. HAHAHAHA

0c843fba33e8_IMAGE.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHEILHAHAHAHAHAHA

f22420d17572_IMAGE.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEILAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

064912012e9a_IMAGE.jpg

Edge Wario is watching you masturbwahahahahhahahhahhahhahahahahhahahaa

MEANWHILE

86fd5f1b0dba_IMAGE.jpg

"R.O.B.... Fox! and Wolf! They were!"
"IT IS OKAY, FALCO. YOU CAN CRY ON MY DATABANKS. THEY ARE WATERPROOFED."
"But... can your brother know about us?"
"...ROB64 HAS NEVER FORGIVEN ME. OUR FATHER FELT LIKE A FAILURE AND LEFT WHEN HE FOUND OUT WHAT I AM."

56985ff642e1_IMAGE.jpg

"REQUEST: DADDY, DO NOT LEAVE. RETRY, RETRY! I AM JUST CODED DIFFERENTLY."

Crushed said:
86fd5f1b0dba_IMAGE.jpg

"R.O.B.... Fox! and Wolf! They were!"
"IT IS OKAY, FALCO. YOU CAN CRY ON MY DATABANKS. THEY ARE WATERPROOFED."
"But... can your brother know about us?"
"...ROB64 HAS NEVER FORGIVEN ME. OUR FATHER FELT LIKE A FAILURE AND LEFT WHEN HE FOUND OUT WHAT I AM."

56985ff642e1_IMAGE.jpg

"REQUEST: DADDY, DO NOT LEAVE. RETRY, RETRY! I AM JUST CODED DIFFERENTLY."

I was wondering what horror fanfiction writers would be able to create from this game. And I think you just distiled it into 2 pictures.

lopaz

Banned
Crushed said:
Today's Screenshots Brought To You By Yoshi and the Association for Prostate Health

Get checked today, boys.
Something about that dragon statue seems off.
"I gotta quit drinking."
Fox: "I think I need to start drinking."
Sonic: "How much was I drinking?"
"Eh, just go with the flow, I always say."
SOME OF THE DANGERS OF GLANDULAR PROBLEMS
Obesity
Spinal curvature
Stretchy skin
Elephantitis
Fatal attempts at self-pleasure while a nearby friend develops cyanosis from silver overdose
Dislocation of the jaw and neck
"I love drinking."
Your weak-minded fools falling for an old Jedi mind trick
It can also cost you your friends, as you transform into a horrific monster.
"Oh fuck oh fuck oh sweet Jesus no, oh God Yoshi no what's wrong with you oh God oh God."
"SHNAAAAAAAHKKE... AH JHUST WANSTCH TO PLAAAAH WHITCH OOOO"
"...I-I... have to... defeat this... this thing! This grotesque monstrosity from beyond the veil of madness! Before it consumes us all!"
"YE GOD, THERE ARE SIGHTS WOT MAN IS MEANT NOT TO VIEW, AND I SEE THEM ALL BARE."
Oh those wacky Smash Bros! What kooky adventures will they get into next? We'll just have to wait and see!
And remember kids, Yoshi can only do this stuff because he gets checked regularly!
Yoshi and his doctor have a professional relationship based on trust and experience.

Join us next time for more fun!

God among men.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
This is the first time I've seen this thread! I'll upload my screenshots later, I've taken some pretty good ones.

Meohsix

truendo said:
I have tons of pictures but before I post them I should ask: Am I allowed to post spoiler pictures?

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread of Silly Screenshots (56kouch, Spoilers!)

joshschw

neat thread. some funny stuff in here from my quick look.

I have to admit this scared me when it happened:
al_080313_20521binout.jpg

al_080313_2110binout.jpg

al_080313_2041binout.jpg

good timing on this one:
al_080313_2030binout.jpg

truendo

Iam Canadian said:
This thread makes me need an SD card.

I've got some awesome ones I need to post.

You can buy a cheap one for like 10 bucks... probably lower if you need to. I think it's worth it!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've been waiting for the perfect thread to use this one in, but it just doesn't seem to want to come:

stfu.jpg

Lee N

Membre
I got this silly idea of making a stereoscopic image for crosseyed viewing with the help of Brawl. It turned out pretty nicely.

Here it is:

iTRNDTIma.png

Lee N said:
I got this silly idea of making a stereoscopic image for crosseyed viewing with the help of Brawl. It turned out pretty nicely.

Here it is:

2luigis.jpg

Maybe if they weren't so GODDAMNED HUGE

::goes to stare at a sign 100 feet away to reset vision::

MisterHero

I don't has an SD card. But I has an awesome picture.

If I send someone a picture can you guys convert it and upload it here?

Also we'll probably need to share Brawl FCs.

Lee N

Membre
HisshouBuraiKen said:
Maybe if they weren't so GODDAMNED HUGE

::goes to stare at a sign 100 feet away to reset vision::
I'm sorry.. I run 2048x1536 on my monitor so it didn't occur to me how huge it would be on other peoples monitors.

Here's a smaller version:

EtEKJIUge.png

Ramenman

InvincibleAgent said:
I use a pretty medium-res monitor and it worked for me, maybe you can't cross your eyes enough :p

Or maybe he crosses them too much. That's what I did, actually just try to adjust your eye-crossingness and you'll see it perfectly well. It will also provide the best anti aliasing you've ever seen, for some unknown reason.

That was a good idea, with the rotating camera and all I guess it's almost logical now that you think of it.

Could you try it with something more impressive like, say, someone pointing a sword/gun to the screen or what?

GARE AU GORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

IIIIIIIIIII

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

IIIIIIIIILLEUH;;

truendo

MisterHero said:
I don't has an SD card. But I has an awesome picture.

If I send someone a picture can you guys convert it and upload it here?

Also we'll probably need to share Brawl FCs.

Yah, I can do that... PM your FC though I'll PM you mine after I get yours.

BTW I'll upload them to my photobucket account so if you really want to you can take what i uploaded, save it to your computer, and then upload it to your account..... You don't need to though.

Top Bottom