• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 6: fap without fear thread (GONE GOLD)

LowParry

MarkMan said:
So, that makes TWO Tekken 6 machines in AMERICA.

What the fuck is wrong with America...

3rd world countries have more machines than we do...

Living in Utah...I doubt I'll ever see this come here. I have to wait. Continue to watch videos. -sadface-

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Just got confirmation yesterday... the arcade machine in Southern California is a dedicated Asian Tekken 6 cabinet...

The only one in North America!

I'll post pics/impressions this weekend.

Utah person here too. They actually took the Tekken 5 DR machines away, and closed the arcades down at crossroads and cottonwood mall :( I hate going to the Gateway, and the arcade there isn't that great anyway.

CcrooK said:
Living in Utah...I doubt I'll ever see this come here. I have to wait. Continue to watch videos. -sadface-

RyanDG

After hearing the report on SD-Tekken that Tekken 6 wasn't coming to the US via Namco Bandai's amusement sector, I was contacted briefly by Kevin Williams of the Stinger Report wondering if I'd want to run a small write up on my blog in regards to the situation prior to the information being released on his amusement newsletter. I agreed since Tekken 6 was one of the games I was eagerly waiting to see in arcades (yes, there are still arcades where I live!) and was disappointed at the early reports...

Well, I got the full write up posted (with some snippets of an upcoming Stinger Report newsletter that hasn't been posted yet) (you can subscribe at http://www.thestingerreport.com ) for those who are mildly interested.

http://www.arcade-renaissance.com/2008/03/what-is-really-going-on-with-tekken-6.html

Here's a few parts that I think everyone should find interesting...

(This is quoted directly from the author of the Stinger Report)

The Stinger Report approached the key executives at both satellite divisions of Namco towards an official statement on these rumors. The contact was made at what is usually the busiest period for the amusement sales – the Easter / Spring Break buying period a very important revenue stream for manufacturers in America and Europe. Add to this the build up to the ASI exhibition – the first big show of the US season – and it was not unsurprising that no reply was forthcoming.

Well placed sources to Namco stated off the record that another reason for the tight mouth before ASI was that they had hoped that the situation regarding Tekken would have fallen off the radar. The company’s international division feeling lumbered to even have the machine on their books as they saw no real demand, and would be happy to be shot of the responsibility to have to sell it into a market they feel depressed, especially for a high price piece of ‘niche’ hardware.

Where with Tekken 5, Namco America had worked extensively on ‘localization’ (translation and hardware alteration to suit market requirements) the corporation did not want to spend this expense on an already expensive and impractical import. Rather than confirming they had abandoned selling the machine, they hoped it would just go away.

With T6 the difference in player relations between Namco Bandai Gaming in Japan and the satellite is stark. In Japan the AM R&D team has worked closely with the player base, listening to their suggestions and requests and shaping the machines play accordingly. Previously Namco America had worked incredibly closely with the players – the 2004 ‘Tekken 5’ (System 256) US cabinet had been specially developed by the excellent American team, members of which had listened to players including the Joypad home game controller ports, creating localization and player based information; but sadly with T6 Namco Japan had other ideas.

Already released in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines, New Zealand, and even Canada the game has seen record breaking earning – supported by the secondary spend of the online connectivity (ranking) service, and the purchase of IC cards; so why not the UK or the USA? The Stinger Report approached a number of trade operator sources about Namco executive’s claims of a lack of interest in buying the game.

A major difference in the 2004 success of ‘Tekken 5’ (System 256) and the new release was blamed on the difference in pricing. Internationally Namco charged over $5,000 for the cabinet for T5 – a cabinet that confirmed to the norms usually requested by operators. In comparison T6 sits in a unique (Japanese style) HD sit-down cabinet, and is best operated with accompanying connected cabinets, and display screen – at a price of $16,000 per unit!

'sources close to Namco’s International divisions stated that they are prepared to block those using unauthorized routes (Grey) to import machines. Operational issues regarding official IC card availability (a card can only be used 200 times), and the issue that international systems will need to be hocked-up to the online component of the game for updates, and that unauthorized machines will be locked out by Namco.'

I understand the arcade industry in the US isn't what it used to be, but this whole situation reaks of a mess and a lot of back peddling... I have full respect for Namco Bandai games, but I still can't help but shake my head at this entire situation. I also can't help but think that this is a situation where Namco Bandai games (America) went into Tekken 6 with an attitude of failure without really exploring the avenues available to them...

If you've seen the Japanese cabs, you understand. First problem is you've got an HD screen. Second is it needs to be networked. Third is the card readers. These are like $10,000 cabs they'd have to ship all over the continent.

They could just ditch that stuff like they have in the past, but it would still be a serious undertaking. But it sucks that they basically just killed the Tekken arcade scene after all these years.

RyanDG

LiveFromKyoto said:
If you've seen the Japanese cabs, you understand. First problem is you've got an HD screen. Second is it needs to be networked. Third is the card readers. These are like $10,000 cabs they'd have to ship all over the continent.

They could just ditch that stuff like they have in the past, but it would still be a serious undertaking. But it sucks that they basically just killed the Tekken arcade scene after all these years.

Yeah, I do understand that its a business decision (it always is), but in the UK for example, Tekken 6 was rumored as being pulled despite attracting a lot of attention at two major arcade trade shows. The reason? Namco Bandai's European division stated that the demand was from 'hardcore gamers' and not representative of the actual amusement market. I guess I'm an optimist, but this sort of attitude in the face of such a demand seems very self-defeatist without even giving the arcade operators a chance to judge the demand for themselves.

As a result, those that want the game are being forced to go outside the box to get their hands on the game, and even then, it may end up causing more problems than it solves for those operators.

Kittonwy

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:

Could have been easier just having the cabinet made up of a PS3 + arcade stick + $1500 32" LCD.
Indifferent2.gif

vag 2.0

Posting to verify that yeah, the international versions of Tekken 6 work just like Tekken 5 DR on the ps3 with a card reader. You just get a name entry / customisation menu when you put your card in.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Korean tier listing info:

http://sdtekken.com/tekken-6/

And Ryan, great article at Arcade Renaissance...

FYI, the DX Japanese setup original pricing quote was over 26K X_X

The one that is in Southern California was just under 14 K shipped, and it was USED.

LowParry

-xBerserker- said:
Utah person here too. They actually took the Tekken 5 DR machines away, and closed the arcades down at crossroads and cottonwood mall :( I hate going to the Gateway, and the arcade there isn't that great anyway.

Yeah...although aren't they reconstructing new malls or something? Meh. The one in Gateway just sucks ass. Too many annoyances.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Lightning said:
Is all of this arcade stuff with Tekken 6 going to delay the PS3 version of the game?

I freaking hope not! But if it makes it a better game with a badass online system then I am all for it.

LowParry

Lightning said:
Is all of this arcade stuff with Tekken 6 going to delay the PS3 version of the game?

Why would it delay the PS3 version? If anything, the Arcade serves as a testing ground to balance the game out for a console version. Plus there's bound to be a ton of extras that they spill into the console version of T6. Just the things I've been seeing now with T6 looks really really great. Hopefully with the console version, we'll see some new stages, items, etc. (Namco, bring back Tekken Bowling!)

RyanDG

MarkMan said:

The one that is in Southern California was just under 14 K shipped, and it was USED.

Thanks for the kind words... (I was lucky Kevin Williams contacted me to post some of the info from the upcoming Stinger Report newsletter prior to it being released via e-mail this week sometime).

As for the pricing it really is simply unbelievable. There's a company out there that is about to ship the first line of 'universal' HD cabinets, so that may force some companies to start driving down the prices of the current set ups. We'll see though... The arcade industry is rather fickle.

Since the article was posted I've had three seperate arcade operators contact me stating that they are in the process of getting a cabinet now from importers. I'm going to do a small write up about the three of them in the next week or so that's going to offer their first hand experiences with trying to get their hands on a cabinet since its release in November/December. All three of them have an interesting story to tell about some recent dealings with Namco's US arcade division in regards to several games, not just this one.

AAK

Supposedly, the game is delayed till 2009.

I apologize if this is April Fools, but it looks kinda legit.

http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?main=ps&table=game_ps04&page=2&left=b&num=40461

BABELFISH translation:

The PS3, even the time where the strong fist 6 will be sold with the summary enemy it is unsettled. When it will follow on end of the anti- die Korea staff and it says that one probability will be high next year. Arcade market and the on-line mode is feeble with separate way, With the DR differently from hazard first again must compose the network system which is smooth, As the because which is a box does. The source: When it is an anti- die Korea P.S- next year and or the military force the thin place! ! ! Like this Jen.. ni...T_T

I guess they are delaying to fix the online play.

the one in houston is pretty close to where i live, i might just have to swing down there on my day off and check it out. ill give some impressions if i make it down there anytime soon, im dying to play this game. tekken has always been one of my fav games of all time, and im curious to see how this one feels in relation to the others.

Jirotrom

abstract alien said:
the one in houston is pretty close to where i live, i might just have to swing down there on my day off and check it out. ill give some impressions if i make it down there anytime soon, im dying to play this game. tekken has always been one of my fav games of all time, and im curious to see how this one feels in relation to the others.
there is one in Houston... shit, i was just in Houston for Easter:(

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Reminder, Namco is going to shed some light on console Tekken 6 in mid April during the Soul Calibur IV/Tekken 6 media day.. (I'll be there)...

So update in less than 3 weeks!

LowParry

MarkMan said:
Reminder, Namco is going to shed some light on console Tekken 6 in mid April during the Soul Calibur IV/Tekken 6 media day.. (I'll be there)...

Hopefully we'll see an offical release date on SCIV.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
No Tekken 6 until 2009? Right now, I want to rape myself... but instead, I'm just going to go and play Dark Resurrection.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
MarkMan said:

Holy shit I am dancing here here with you will stay tuned for then!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
wowfactor said:
Cung Le is taking a role in Tekken 6 the movie.
It is gonna be sick.
Who?

And as for the game being delayed into 2009... maybe they're delaying so that they can catch up on the Xbox 360 port... nah, I don't want to open that can of worms...

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Cung Le is an MMA star... I have my doubts about the movie, I bet we won't see it for a few years still lol.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
MarkMan said:
Cung Le is an MMA star... I have my doubts about the movie, I bet we won't see it for a few years still lol.
Hm, MMA star? If he's black then we may have the film's Bruce Irvin...

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
So wait, Tekken 6 is out all over Japan now?

I thought it was being loki-tested, and that I was one of the first ppl to play the game last weekend.

btw, Bob is really fun.:D

If Namco is really crazy enough to delay this to 2009, we at least deserve another upgrade to Tekken 5 or something to hold us off. Tekken: DR is still fun, but it feels awfully familiar when you played the crap out of Tekken 5. Considering the game is done(in the arcades), a 2009 release would be ridiculous even if it is to fix the online play. We better get a plethora of extras also if we are going to have to wait that long and I have no good arcades near me.

LowParry

Rhazer Fusion said:
If Namco is really crazy enough to delay this to 2009, we at least deserve another upgrade to Tekken 5 or something to hold us off. Tekken: DR is still fun, but it feels awfully familiar when you played the crap out of Tekken 5. Considering the game is done(in the arcades), a 2009 release would be ridiculous even if it is to fix the online play. We better get a plethora of extras also if we are going to have to wait that long and I have no good arcades near me.

There are other plenty of fighters for this year though. I rather have Tekken 6 be out in arcades as long as possible for the better balancing of the game in the end when it does come to the PS3.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Namco has never changed a Tekken game (balance wise) going from arcade to console.

So let's not expect any changes from the finished product(what is currently out).

Besides, Namco already stated they don't plan to update Tekken 6 anymore since the A99 (most recent) update.

Namco's media event is soon (April 15th). So expect more news there.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yoboman said:
Tekken 5 was already out on PS2 by this time

Point being?

My original post was in reply to the poster above mine. I was answering his question. What are you going on about?

CcrooK said:
There are other plenty of fighters for this year though. I rather have Tekken 6 be out in arcades as long as possible for the better balancing of the game in the end when it does come to the PS3.

Actually, I rather have Tekken 6 than most of them since I am a huge Tekken fan, but that is true. I only care about the fighters that are hitting the home consoles since arcades are dead where I live, so if it isn't coming home, I do not care about it. Personally, I think Namco could also be waiting for the userbase to expand some more before they release it. Heh, at least we are getting SC4 this year.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
MarkMan said:
Namco has never changed a Tekken game (balance wise) going from arcade to console.

So let's not expect any changes from the finished product(what is currently out).

Besides, Namco already stated they don't plan to update Tekken 6 anymore since the A99 (most recent) update.

Namco's media event is soon (April 15th). So expect more news there.

This right here man just a few weeks away! Oh man my excitement at what they will hopefully show is through the roof!

DrDogg

I've been to several Namco media days and they always seem to disappoint. However, if this one is specifically geared toward SCIV/T6, maybe it won't be like the others. Too bad I'm knee deep in NG2 and can't go... -_-

MarkMan said:
Korean tier listing info:

http://sdtekken.com/tekken-6/

The tier info is not on the front page, so I'm posting it here. Am I the only Hwoarang player that HATES that the new guy is named Bob and is (according to this list) better than Hwoarang?

1. Devil Jin
2. Leo
3. Bob
4. Law
5. Dragunov
6. Roger Jr.
7. Kazuya
8. Lei
9. Xiaoyu
10. Raven

Where is Hwoarang?!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hwoarang has never been at the top for any Tekken :(

Although they always 'claim' he is good at the start and in beta... but he usually falls back down to bottom of the mid tier...

Working on new features for the T6 section of my site... update soon!

www.sdtekken.com ^_^

vag 2.0

After spending quite a bit of time with this, I can honestly say that the euro machines at least have the nicest stick / buttons i've ever used. What are they?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
vag 2.0, if it is a dedicated machine, it is using Sanwa JLF-8T stick and Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons.

--

Not sure if you guys have been keeping up with the latest videos, but... check out:

http://sdtekken.com/tekken-6

The battle for TEKKEN LORD in Japan! The two highest ranked players, Takeyama (BOB) and Second Generation Mainstreet Ryu (KAZ) battle until one is promoted to TEKKEN LORD!

This is very high level stuff, check it out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MarkMan said:
vag 2.0, if it is a dedicated machine, it is using Sanwa JLF-8T stick and Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons.

--

Not sure if you guys have been keeping up with the latest videos, but... check out:

http://sdtekken.com/tekken-6

The battle for TEKKEN LORD in Japan! The two highest ranked players, Takeyama (BOB) and Second Generation Mainstreet Ryu (KAZ) battle until one is promoted to TEKKEN LORD!

This is very high level stuff, check it out.
Wow! Checking out right now.

Yoshichan

Damn, Kazuya's INSANE.

Top Bottom