• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Coverage April/13/07 (post #922+ for reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypah

i came for the TH info but i stayed for the hilarity. it's like 80 different arguments are going at once and the game hasn't even been shown yet. i also think it's funny that people are taking the DD vs. LS back-and-forth so serious. if it's obvious that they aren't that serious about it why are y'all getting into a tizzy behind it? i mean besides to make me laugh more.

glimmerman said:
Fair point, let me qualify what I just said: Dyack is 50% Derek Smart. The really bad PR and idiotic internet behaviour part. The part which is all hot air and no substance.

As for the game, its still to be proven whether he'll get the other 50%.

But nothing we've seen so far really disproves that he won't get there.

Theres a good chance we'll have a new Smart to start the mother of all flamewars in the next few months.

PS: I'm still hoping Smart's ego gets the better of him one of these days and he starts posting again. Golden years!

You are officially an Ass Clown. All Denis Dyack's games turn out to be awesome unlike the Mediocrity DerekS had.. He was a hack and had ego to go with it Denis can actually back up his creativity up with awesome substance. You should stop talking because it's hard to understand morons with feet in thier mouths.

Scotch

Creasybear said:
While we wait for Too Human . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIiV3adVLTs

so good :)
I prefer the sequel.

denzilmantj6.jpg

Krowley

Denis Dyack Recipe

20% Miyamoto
20% Kojima
10% Derik Smart
10% Peter Molyneux
40% Aristotle

Mix well and serve with peaches

Dartastic said:
To be fair, everything I've ever played of Dyack's has delivered. Too Human's hype was absolutely absurdly high, and when at E3 it sucked, well, that's never really a good sign. Since then the game has had close to a year of development time, and we still don't know when it's going to come out. There's still a very good possibility of it being a great game. A game that will change the way you look at gaming though? That's where things get out of hand...

This is purely speculative.

The problem is, the game has been developed off and on now for many years. Its not a sustained development, and that means its design is likely more unfocussed than a game developed in a sustained effort. It becomes a more fuzzy design, and the engine requirements probably change quite a bit each time the design changes focus. Add in the fact that its basic engine tech is a 3rd party engine, and the design is constrained by what that engine can deliver, and how much time you have to add to it to make the engine fit your specific requirements.

It also seems that their relationship with the 3rd party engine developer was possibly a bit... um.... strained. That probably adds to the friction that may occur between the licensor and licensee of that engine when you ask them to help you add something to it. Naturally this also leads to longer development time, higher costs, and more pressure to deliver the game in an incomplete state.

The best case scenario for SK is that Denis shuts his hole, the game comes out, and its great. And at the worst case, you're left with a new 100% Derek Smart. So far the Derek Smart level is 50% and edging further towards the dark side.

The truth is somewhere between. But so far as far as I'm concerned, Denis is talking up a whole lot of hot air, and not showing anything. Given his history of hype, it seems likely he is hyping it like crazy in an effort to hide something.

Vrolokus

Banned
glimmerman said:
words, words, and then some more words

Another buzzkill. :(

Dyack hate has been thoroughly covered in many, many other threads. This one is about a Luke vs. Denis grudge match and lots of funny as hell gifs.

Vrolokus said:
Another buzzkill. :(

Dyack hate has been thoroughly covered in many, many other threads. This one is about a Luke vs. Denis grudge match and lots of funny as hell gifs.

Agreed :) Back to the unqualified inflammatory comments and gifs! ASSEMBLE!

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
the disgruntled gamer said:
You're an idiot. In the face of facts, your turn to sarcasm.

Its not sarcasm. I support Luke fully now. Hes doing the lords work.

Hannar

glimmerman said:
This is purely speculative.

The problem is, the game has been developed off and on now for many years. Its not a sustained development, and that means its design is likely more unfocussed than a game developed in a sustained effort.

Actually, I think people are going to find that the exact opposite is true. The idea for the game itself has been around for quite some time -- but the development process on this specific XBox 360 game has not been shut down and restarted. The previous iterations of the game have no real bearing on where Too Human is now other than ideas for story and themes.

Once you see a bit more (and perhaps that will take actually diving into the full game), you'll see the the development is extremely focused. There are no loose ends hanging out there untied in the universe that the game is built around, same for what they are showing in gameplay.

If I'm going to point out the game's current (or possible) flaws, the amount of thought or focus that is going into it will not be anywhere near the top of the list.

Dartastic

glimmerman said:
The problem is, the game has been developed off and on now for many years. Its not a sustained development, and that means its design is likely more unfocussed than a game developed in a sustained effort. It becomes a more fuzzy design, and the engine requirements probably change quite a bit each time the design changes focus. Add in the fact that its basic engine tech is a 3rd party engine, and the design is constrained by what that engine can deliver, and how much time you have to add to it to make the engine fit your specific requirements.

It also seems that their relationship with the 3rd party engine developer was possibly a bit... um.... strained. That probably adds to the friction that may occur between the licensor and licensee of that engine when you ask them to help you add something to it. Naturally this also leads to longer development time, higher costs, and more pressure to deliver the game in an incomplete state.

The best case scenario for SK is that Denis shuts his hole, the game comes out, and its great. And at the worst case, you're left with a new 100% Derek Smart. So far the Derek Smart level is 50% and edging further towards the dark side.

The truth is somewhere between. But so far as far as I'm concerned, Denis is talking up a whole lot of hot air, and not showing anything. Given his history of hype, it seems likely he is hyping it like crazy in an effort to hide something.

Very true, on almost every level. His track level gives me hope, however. We now return to your regularly scheduled hilarity.

Tonight Will Be Fun
I'm in San Francisco at the moment and it's been a madhouse today. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up that tonight's update will include hands-on impressions of both new Resident Evil Wii games, new screens and videos, hands-on impressions of the excellent Treasure Island Z, new screens and videos, and the long-awaited launch of our Too Human coverage. Gameplay, story -- we've got your video.

Cheers.

http://blogs.ign.com/matt-ign

where the **** is the footage. I'm leaving work on the west coast. Is this even going arrive before midnight for the east coasters?

Dartastic

soujiro_seta said:
Tonight Will Be Fun
I'm in San Francisco at the moment and it's been a madhouse today. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up that tonight's update will include hands-on impressions of both new Resident Evil Wii games, new screens and videos, hands-on impressions of the excellent Treasure Island Z, new screens and videos, and the long-awaited launch of our Too Human coverage. Gameplay, story -- we've got your video.

Cheers.

You see, now THAT'S pimping your site. Pish. All you people who say 1up were pimpin their shit need to RECOGNIZEEEEE

Xamdou

soujiro_seta said:
Tonight Will Be Fun

Cheers.

Man I can't wait! :)

Too Human is our lead on IGN Weekly tonight. The video is done. We're waiting on one more segment, we've got to compress and everything'll go live. I figure it could be a bit -- possibly 8:00 or 9:00, but hopefully sooner.

Matt

Ark-AMN

Banned
Argh, the stuff's probably going to be released while I'm stuck in commute heading home. :( I hope I'm online when it happens cause I don't wan't to fall behind on the inevitable aftermath here on GAF. :D

Ah, 8 or 9 huh? That works fine.

Xamdou

pakopakopako said:
Too Human is our lead on IGN Weekly tonight. The video is done. We're waiting on one more segment, we've got to compress and everything'll go live. I figure it could be a bit -- possibly 8:00 or 9:00, but hopefully sooner.

Matt

Oh and how many minutes of Too Human footage in your IGN Weekly Segment? :)

There are about a thousand GAF posters who could do Luke Smith's job with no loss of quality. Probably a few hundred who could do it better than he does. There are probably less than a dozen GAF posters who could do what Dyack does as well as he does.

Dyack wins. Luke Smith is a very mediocre journalist. Definitely no Dan Hsu or Crispin Boyer.

Chiggs

Green Shinobi said:
There are about a thousand GAF posters who could do Luke Smith's job with no loss of quality. Probably a few hundred who could do it better than he does. There are probably less than a dozen GAF posters who could do what Dyack does as well as he does.

Dyack wins. Luke Smith is a very mediocre journalist. Definitely no Dan Hsu or Crispin Boyer.

Ouch.

Green Shinobi said:

daaammmmmmmmmmmnkl4.gif

that's harsh

Bowen_B

Banned
Denis Dyack said:
Luke fails to mention that I have, in fact, I have already done this. You see, EGM already knew we were doing the IGN preview before they invited me to their pod cast. He fails to mention how myself and "Ziff" discussed the IGN preview in their offices over lunch in detail when i visited their offices. I guess there is much more drama in spinning it as a big surprise when Matt posted about the visit in his blog. It is just not reality.

Denis
DenisDyackcopy.jpg

Chiggs said:
"Great?" Anyhow, if you think that's bad, make sure you check out Domino, by the same godawful director.

But Tom Waits is in it, thereby negating any terrible aspects the film may or may not have.

LukeSmith said:
I mean, who are we kidding. Does anyone really think Denis is going to come down to Ziff next week to "stand up to me" or whatever machismo fantasy he's playing out in his head right now? He doesn't want to have to explain his whole previews philosophy and his complete sea change the following week to anyone.

As much as I'd like to have this drama unfold with cameras on for a 1UP Show to be named later, there's just no way Denis will do it.

Luke fails to mention that I have, in fact, I have already done this. You see, EGM already knew we were doing the IGN preview before they invited me to their pod cast. He fails to mention how myself and "Ziff" discussed the IGN preview in their offices over lunch in detail when i visited their offices. I guess there is much more drama in spinning it as a big surprise when Matt posted about the visit in his blog. It is just not reality.

Denis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom