• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Summer TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gonna watch? I considered it, but I think that I'll probably pass. I might watch at the end of the season if reviews are still positive.
I'll watch the pilot and see how it is. There was a thread made tonight, so that can serve as the OT.

I do need to bail on a few shows soon (too much on at the moment, and not much of it is delivering), so I'll probably reshuffle the deck in the near future.

Matador..........hmmmmm..............it's definitely interesting.

Plus I love soccer, and its a neat concept to incorporate on a TV show.

Will watch Extant later.

TheOddOne

Dibs on the OT.

PR:
Sunday, Sept. 7
8-9 PM UTOPIA (Series Premiere, Part One)

Tuesday, Sept. 9
8-9 PM UTOPIA (Series Premiere, Part Two / Time Period Premiere)

Wednesday, Sept. 10
8-10 PM HELL’S KITCHEN (Season 13 Premiere)

Friday, Sept. 12
8-9 PM UTOPIA (Series Premiere, Part Three / Time Period Premiere)

Tuesday, Sept. 16
8-9 PM UTOPIA (All-New)
9-9:30 PM NEW GIRL (Season Premiere)
9:30-10 PM THE MINDY PROJECT (Season Premiere)

Wednesday, Sept. 17
8-9 PM HELL’S KITCHEN (All-New / Time Period Premiere)
9-10 PM RED BAND SOCIETY (Series Premiere)

Monday, Sept. 22
8-9 PM GOTHAM (Series Premiere)
9-10 PM SLEEPY HOLLOW (Season Premiere)

Thursday, Sept. 25
8-9 PM BONES (Season Premiere)
9-10 PM SLEEPY HOLLOW (Encore of Season Premiere)

Sunday, Sept. 28
8-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS (Season Premiere)
8:30-9 PM BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (Season Premiere)
9-10 PM FAMILY GUY (One-Hour “The Simpsons Guy” Season Premiere Crossover Event)

Thursday, Oct. 2
8-9 PM BONES (All-New)
9-10 PM GRACEPOINT (10-Part Mystery Event Series Premiere)

Sunday, Oct. 5
7-7:30 PM THE SIMPSONS (Encore)
7:30-8 PM BOB’S BURGERS (Season Premiere)
8-8:30 PM THE SIMPSONS (All-New)
8:30-9 PM BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (All-New)
9-9:30 PM FAMILY GUY (All-New)
9:30-10 PM MULANEY (Series Premiere)

Friday, Nov. 7
8-9 PM MASTERCHEF JUNIOR (Season Premiere)

Vert boil

Pixelated buttocks.
Pixelated groins (that weren't even exposed in the original).
Beeped and pixelated swearing.
I can't remember where the subbed R word line was but it wasn't there.

image1tor28.jpg

Welcome to America Welcome to Sweden!

The Almighty Johnsons debuts on Syfy tonight. I've seen all three seasons and I can absolutely recommend it. It starts out OK, but it gets better once the goddesses are featured more. Also, granddad is an all time great fantasy character.

Here's a trailer for the first season, so a few small spoilers.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pixelated buttocks.
Pixelated groins (that weren't even exposed in the original).
Beeped and pixelated swearing.
I can't remember where the subbed R word line was but it wasn't there.

image1tor28.jpg

Welcome to America Welcome to Sweden!

It's weird that NBC would show the uncensored trailer online and then go ahead and have everything censored on the broadcast version. Still, I can't say I'm surprised at all.

The Almighty Johnsons debuts on Syfy tonight. I've seen all three seasons and I can absolutely recommend it. It starts out OK, but it gets better once the goddesses are featured more. Also, granddad is an all time great fantasy character.

Sounds fun. Are there only 3 seasons, or is it still ongoing?

I generally don't watch "early premieres", but this might be one time where I make an exception!

Vert boil

If anyone wants to have a giggle at a naff tv show whilst watching pretty ladies, check out The Lottery.

*cue emotional piano music*
Look at what's going on out there. The protests, the anger. You saw what happened in Austin last week?
Like it or not we are at the tipping point.

These embryos, could be our moon landing.

A triumph of science but also a triumph of the American spirit.

One.

Giant.

Leap.

For.

Mankind.

♥♥♥ Lifetime

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If anyone wants to have a giggle at a naff tv show whilst watching pretty ladies, check out The Lottery.

♥♥♥ Lifetime
As long as Lifetime keeps giving me the gorgeous ladies of Witches of East End I don't care if they make other shitty shows.

TheOddOne

Linius

Just checked out You're The Worst, I think I'm in love with Aya Cash. Fun pilot. Think I liked it more than Married.

So The Honourable Woman started last night (starts at the end of July in 'merica),

Nothing special so far. It was a bit on the snoozer side and a little too full of itself. Despite all of the hooks they left dangling I'm not overly compelled to learn more.
Tim Goodman was lavishing praise on it earlier today. Has it gotten any better as it's continued?

Vert boil

So The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail started this week,

Pretty good but the 20 odd minutes Comedy Central gives it isn't enough for all the stuff they try to cram in. Vastly better than the shoddy mess that was Comedy Underground with Dave Attell.

Hopefully Maron shows up one week and shits all over Kumail.

And completely unrelated to anything in the thread,

Tina Fey and Rachel Dratch’s Old Second City Show ‘Dratch & Fey’ Is Now Online.
Got a guffaw out of me within in the first four minutes.

My mid-Summer check in post. Here's what I've been watching:

Masters of Sex - still delivering and the best thing I'm watching right now
The Bridge - it's doing a lot of meandering plot-wise, but I very much like the characters and the acting talent. I enjoy watching every week.
Halt & Catch Fire - I watched 3 episodes before stopping
Tyrant - I watched 4 episodes before bailing out
The Strain - it's been mediocre but just entertaining enough to be watchable
Manhattan - good pilot and I'm looking forward to watching more
The Leftovers - Some intriguing aspects but also some facepalm worthy choices. I have mixed feelings but continue to watch.
Last Week Tonight - very good show and one of my favorites this Summer
Married - I like the two leads in their other work, but the show itself has left a sour taste in my mouth so far.
You're the Worst - Pretty funny and the chemistry between the two leads is good.

So there are a few good ones in there, but on the whole I've found this Summer to be a little disappointing. I still need to watch the Matador pilot and I'm going to check out The Honourable Woman and the new season of Utopia when they air here. Also, there's way too much older television that I've been meaning to dig into including Rectify, The Returned, Top of the Lake, and a few other things when I find the time.

What are other people watching? What have you given up on? Any pleasant surprises? What's your take on this Summer's tv options as a whole?

I need to catch up on The Strain. Only watched the Pilot.

Teen Wolf is excellent.

Matador is surprisingly entertaining.

And I'm catching up on Franklin & Bash, which is a pretty fun show.

Wow, my TV watching this summer is fairly scant.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Bridge - I dig it. I can see how the various plot threads are different parts of a big picture, so I don't mind that there may not be tons of forward movement.
The Colbert Report - Usually fun.
The Daily Show - Usually fun.
Last Week Tonight - Pretty great.
The Leftovers - I don't really know why I'm watching. I have been tending to do crossword puzzles while watching.
Manhattan - Sitting on my DVR, will watch shortly.
Married - This is solid, the second episode was a nice improvement.
Masters of Sex - This is great, of course.
Space Dandy - Episodes vary in quality a lot since they're typically fairly specific riffs on different genres and story tropes. Some are great, some kind lackluster.
The Strain - Not nearly as good as I would like, but a couple characters and situations are fun.
Tyrant - Watched three episodes and quit. I surfed the Internet while watching the latter two, mostly for morbid curiosity.
You're the Worst - I like the leads, but kinda hate the roommate and kid. It's a half hour though, easy enough for me to have patience with.

Rectify is piling up on my DVR since I haven't even watched season one.

I'm gonna grab Cinemax since I'm psyched for The Knick. Ten hours of Soderbergh? With an anachronistic score by Cliff Martinez?! Fuck yeah, that's my jam.

L1NETT

I still need to watch the Matador pilot and I'm going to check out The Honourable Woman and the new season of Utopia when they air here.

You are in for such a treat. So far (only 4 eps in), I've not only found it to be better than the first season but it's the best thing on TV I've watched in years.

Aside from that, The Honourable Woman has been pretty good, not blown away by it though.

I want to like The Strain more than I do. By no means awful, but the writing just leaves something to be desired.

Veep is airing over here, loving that.

Hopefully we get some dates for The Fall Season 2 and Peaky Blinders Season 2. Gimme dat Hardy and Cilian Murphy goodness.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Masters of Sex - A good show, but one that consistently falls short of greatness for me. (haven't seen the newest ep btw)
The Bridge - The current season has been a real drag for me, unfortunately. I enjoy watching the four lead actors interact with each other, and I'm very much interested in the setting, but the policework/crime/detective angle which comprises the majority of any given episode is a total bore.
Halt & Catch Fire - Started out pretty mediocre but has gotten a lot better in the last few weeks, to the point where I feel like it would be a shame if AMC cancelled it without giving it one more season to really find itself. (though with its disastrously low ratings who could blame them)
Tyrant - A dull chore that is devoid of anything interesting (outside of Ashraf Barhom's performance).
The Strain - Cheesy and badly written, it's nevertheless a fairly entertaining summer distraction.
Manhattan - The pilot was pretty good and I love the time period/setting.
The Leftovers - This is a weird one. I don't really know what to say about it. It's equal parts mildly captivating and boring as shit. I kind of like it but I also kind of dislike it.
Married - A fairly amusing comedy that hasn't really made an impression on me one way or the other.
You're the Worst - The two leads are nice together and I like that it's not just mean spirited all the time.
Rogue - Dull in every sense of the word. Dropped it after 2-3 episodes.
Ray Donovan - 3 episodes into the second season and I'm still trying to figure out why this exists (and why I'm still watching ;__;). Why did Ann Biderman feel the need to tell this story? What is the story? Is there a story? Why does Paula Malcomson sound like that? Why haven't they asked Jon Voight to take over every role Eddie Murphy style?
Power - Another mildly entertaining contemporary drama from Starz. It's a mixed bag overall (mostly mixed) but it's different enough to keep my attention.
True Blood - A weirdly meandering and restrained final season. Still has its moments though.
Wilfred - The final season has been pretty weird so far - it's kind of funny and kind of not. There's also been a big focus on the mythology which I'm not a fan of.
Rectify - Beautiful and affecting, this has been far and away the best drama of the season.
Almost Royal - Despite not knowing whether it was all fake, partially fake, or real, I still really enjoyed this cringe comedy. A very pleasant surprise.
Penny Dreadful - A beautifully written, superbly acted show with exquisite costume/set design. I can't get enough of those lush, flowery monologues on the human condition. My personal favorite show of the season so far.

Overall I'd say the summer has been about on par with previous summers. Some good stuff, some bad stuff, some disappointments. I still need to check out Salem (scissoring witches and frogs sucking on nipples? Sign me up!), Matador, The Honorable Woman, The Divide, and I'm sure that I'm forgetting a few others.

Clevinger

Ray Donovan - 3 episodes into the second season and I'm still trying to figure out why this exists (and why I'm still watching ;__;). Why did Ann Biderman feel the need to tell this story? What is the story? Is there a story? Why does Paula Malcomson sound like that? Why haven't they asked Jon Voight to take over every role Eddie Murphy style?

Every time you watch an episode of Ray Donovan instead of Treme, an angel loses its wings and falls onto an orphan.

I need to catch up on The Strain. Only watched the Pilot.

Teen Wolf is excellent.

Matador is surprisingly entertaining.

And I'm catching up on Franklin & Bash, which is a pretty fun show.

Wow, my TV watching this summer is fairly scant.

Aren't you watching Longmire? How's the new season?

You're the Worst - I like the leads, but kinda hate the roommate and kid. It's a half hour though, easy enough for me to have patience with.
That's true - the roommate and the kid aren't doing anything for me, but at least the focus is on the two leads.
You are in for such a treat. So far (only 4 eps in), I've not only found it to be better than the first season but it's the best thing on TV I've watched in years.
Great to hear. I'm looking forward to it.
Penny Dreadful - A beautifully written, superbly acted show with exquisite costume/set design. I can't get enough of those lush, flowery monologues on the human condition. My personal favorite show of the season so far.
Oh yeah, I finished that season up, too. Really enjoyed it. I like a show that has a clear idea of what it wants to do and executes it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom